Re: Strange and frequent error (An error occurred when writing to the calendar <cal name>!)

Re: Strange and frequent error (An error occurred when writing to the calendar <cal name>!)

Stefan Sitter-2
On 15.06.2015 19:40, STF wrote:

> Since I've reinstalled everything (Win7) in my home computer, I'm
> getting a strange error from TB+Calendar from time to time.
>
> When that happens, I'd get a dialog on the screen saying
>
> An error occurred when writing to the calendar <cal name>!
>
> And there are two buttons: Details and OK
>
> The attached image shows what I get when I press "Details" (note that
> my calendar name is "Me")
>
> I have no idea why I get this error from time to time. The problem
> is that when I press "OK", most of the time, TB+Calendar would just
> stop responding! And I have to kill the process from Task Manager and
> rerun TB again.
>
> Anyone has seen this? What have I done wrong? I can't think of any.
> Or maybe because I'm using WiFi -- but I had been using WiFi before
> and I didn't get this problem.
>
> It's very weird!
> Any idea?

HTTP status code 403 means 'Forbidden', i.e. Lightning tries to perform
an action that is not allowed by the server. The following might help to
further investigate your problem:

- the version of Thunderbird and Lightning you are using
- the type of calendar provider (ics, caldav, wcap, gdata, ...)
- is the calendar cached or not
- error messages from Error Console from the incident time
- what did you do when the popup occurred, e.g. syncing calendars,
dismissing reminders, accepting invitations, ...

/Stefan

Re: Strange and frequent error (An error occurred when writing to the calendar <cal name>!)

STF-7
On 2015.06.15 19:59, Stefan Sitter wrote:

> On 15.06.2015 19:40, STF wrote:
>> Since I've reinstalled everything (Win7) in my home computer, I'm
>> getting a strange error from TB+Calendar from time to time.
>>
>> When that happens, I'd get a dialog on the screen saying
>>
>> An error occurred when writing to the calendar <cal name>!
>>
>> And there are two buttons: Details and OK
>>
>> The attached image shows what I get when I press "Details" (note that
>> my calendar name is "Me")
>>
>> I have no idea why I get this error from time to time. The problem
>> is that when I press "OK", most of the time, TB+Calendar would just
>> stop responding! And I have to kill the process from Task Manager and
>> rerun TB again.
>>
>> Anyone has seen this? What have I done wrong? I can't think of any.
>> Or maybe because I'm using WiFi -- but I had been using WiFi before
>> and I didn't get this problem.
>>
>> It's very weird!
>> Any idea?
>
> HTTP status code 403 means 'Forbidden', i.e. Lightning tries to perform
> an action that is not allowed by the server. The following might help to
> further investigate your problem:
>
> - the version of Thunderbird and Lightning you are using

They were TB 31.7 & Lightning 3.3.3 (I think).  Newer versions are out.
  I'll update my TB & Lgt tonight to see if I still have the problem.

> - the type of calendar provider (ics, caldav, wcap, gdata, ...)

Gmail Caldav, with this URL
https://apidata.googleusercontent.com/caldav/v2/<some_email_addr>/events

I'm 100% sure the URL is correct as I've been using it for more than a year.

> - is the calendar cached or not

You mean if the option "Offline support" is checked?  No, it's not.

> - error messages from Error Console from the incident time

I haven't really checked it because when that dialog appears, and after
I press OK, TB would stop responding.  To be more exact, when I click on
TB main window, every click would produce a "ding" sound but the window
does not react (except the sound).

> - what did you do when the popup occurred, e.g. syncing calendars,
> dismissing reminders, accepting invitations, ...

Sometimes it's after I've changed an event.  Sometimes I didn't do
anything! Yeah, really nothing.  TB is running and idle for a long time,
then suddenly the dialog would appear!

That's why I qualified the bug as "weird".

On 2015.06.16 20:28, STF wrote:

> On 2015.06.15 19:59, Stefan Sitter wrote:
>> On 15.06.2015 19:40, STF wrote:
>>> Since I've reinstalled everything (Win7) in my home computer, I'm
>>> getting a strange error from TB+Calendar from time to time.
>>>
>>> When that happens, I'd get a dialog on the screen saying
>>>
>>> An error occurred when writing to the calendar <cal name>!
>>>
>>> [deleted]
>>
>> - the version of Thunderbird and Lightning you are using
>
> They were TB 31.7 & Lightning 3.3.3 (I think).  Newer versions are out.
>   I'll update my TB & Lgt tonight to see if I still have the problem.

A little follow-up:
I've uninstalled TB totally from my home computer last night.  By
"totally", I mean I also deleted profile and cache folders.  Everything
related to TB was removed from my computer.

Then I installed the latest 38.0.1 which has Calendar *integrated*.

But I still had that dialog from time to time...

On 2015.06.17 11:27, STF wrote:

> A little follow-up:
> I've uninstalled TB totally from my home computer last night.  By
> "totally", I mean I also deleted profile and cache folders.  Everything
> related to TB was removed from my computer.
>
> Then I installed the latest 38.0.1 which has Calendar *integrated*.
>
> But I still had that dialog from time to time...

I've got the same problem in my company computer last Friday night, 30
min before I left office.  But this time I'm 100% sure my Thunderbird
had been idle all the time before that happened.  It was so idle that
the error dialog did not show up correctly -- the dialog showed up as a
blank/white window and did not respond to mouse click.

If there's anything I can do to further diagnostic the problem, I'd
appreciate a lot.

Re: Strange and frequent error (An error occurred when writing to the calendar <cal name>!)

kfr-
Do you use proxies?

I think it might be related to proxy.pac settings. It's almost like TB doesn't check the pac file before sending an outbond request. I'm not sure it should do this BUT it seems more problematic for us on laptops.

Karl

On Monday, June 22, 2015 at 5:13:44 AM UTC-5, STF wrote:

> On 2015.06.17 11:27, STF wrote:
>
> > A little follow-up:
> > I've uninstalled TB totally from my home computer last night.  By
> > "totally", I mean I also deleted profile and cache folders.  Everything
> > related to TB was removed from my computer.
> >
> > Then I installed the latest 38.0.1 which has Calendar *integrated*.
> >
> > But I still had that dialog from time to time...
>
> I've got the same problem in my company computer last Friday night, 30
> min before I left office.  But this time I'm 100% sure my Thunderbird
> had been idle all the time before that happened.  It was so idle that
> the error dialog did not show up correctly -- the dialog showed up as a
> blank/white window and did not respond to mouse click.
>
> If there's anything I can do to further diagnostic the problem, I'd
> appreciate a lot.

Re: Strange and frequent error (An error occurred when writing to the calendar <cal name>!)

STF-7
No, I don't use proxy, neither at home nor at company.  But TCP
connections go through several NAT.

The trouble is that the error happens randomly.  So if I install old
versions of TB and Lightning, and if no error happens, there's no
conclusion.  However, if the same error happens, then we could conclude
that the problem is independent to some versions.  But we don't go very
far with this information, do we?