Re: Starting firefox -venkman

Alex Vincent
Wink Saville wrote:

>  From what I understand starting firefox -venkman should only start
> the debugger and not the browser UI, thus allowing the debugging
> of extension loading. When I do this both the debugger and the
> browser UI is started, not what I expected.
>
> Is there something I'm doing in correctly or is my expectation incorrect.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Wink Saville

You could try "-chrome chrome://venkman/content" instead.

Alex Vincent wrote:

> Wink Saville wrote:
>
>>  From what I understand starting firefox -venkman should only start
>> the debugger and not the browser UI, thus allowing the debugging
>> of extension loading. When I do this both the debugger and the
>> browser UI is started, not what I expected.
>>
>> Is there something I'm doing in correctly or is my expectation incorrect.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Wink Saville
>>

> You could try "-chrome chrome://venkman/content" instead.

Alex,

Well that seems to start the debugger and not FF,
but now how do I run FF from the debugger?

Wink

Wink Saville wrote:

> Alex Vincent wrote:
>> You could try "-chrome chrome://venkman/content" instead.
>>
> Alex,
>
> Well that seems to start the debugger and not FF,
> but now how do I run FF from the debugger?
>
> Wink

I find going to the console panel (where you see raw messages from
Venkman, and can ask it about various values) and typing in
"window.open()" works nicely.  :)

Alex Vincent wrote:

> Wink Saville wrote:
>
>> Alex Vincent wrote:
>>
>>> You could try "-chrome chrome://venkman/content" instead.
>>>

>> Alex,
>>
>> Well that seems to start the debugger and not FF,
>> but now how do I run FF from the debugger?
>>
>> Wink
>>

> I find going to the console panel (where you see raw messages from
> Venkman, and can ask it about various values) and typing in
> "window.open()" works nicely.  :)

That worked beautifully, I wanted to set a break point
on the first line of my code that executed after it loaded,
so I ran:

   firefox -chrome chrome://venkman/content

and then executed "window.open()" as you suggested.
My code loaded and I set a future breakpoint on the
first statement in the file. I then checked
"Save Break/Watch Settings On Exit" in
the file menu and then exited firefox.

I then ran a second time with the same command:

   firefox -chrome chrome://venkman/content

Then did "window.open()" a second time and we dropped
back into the debugger at my break point at the top of
the file. This was exactly what I wanted.

This is exactly what I wanted, hopefully this helps
someone else in the future.

THANKS Alex!

Wink