Re: Service Pack 3 for XP is Toxic, Need help with Seamonkey

Re: Service Pack 3 for XP is Toxic, Need help with Seamonkey

»Q«
On Thu, 08 May 2008 20:14:25 -0600
Lon Stowell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ray_Net wrote:
> > Terry Kepner wrote:
> >> I just recovered from Service Pack 3 for XP trashing my Windows
> >> completely.
> > I just installed XP-SP3 and i am lucky - windows working normally
> > except for the first time after the firtst reboot.
>
> I had all high priority Pro/SP2 upgrades installed, and the update to
> XP3 was one of the most boring upgrades I've seen.     Seamonkey ran
> flawlessly and even RealPlayer ran afterwards.
>
> The ISO image version was even fast.

I think MS needs a checklist for handling release media.  From the
SP3 iso:

-----
/media/opticaldrive $ lynx --dump faq.htm | head -n 7

        More information about installing Service Pack 2

   [1]How long will it take to install Service Pack 2?

   [2]How will the security of my computer be enhanced?

   [3]Where can I get more information about Service Pack 2?
-----

[followup set to mozilla.general]

Re: Service Pack 3 for XP is Toxic, Need help with Seamonkey

Terry R.
The date and time was 5/9/2008 2:59 PM, and on a whim, »Q« pounded out
on the keyboard:

> On Thu, 08 May 2008 20:14:25 -0600
> Lon Stowell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ray_Net wrote:
>>> I just installed XP-SP3 and i am lucky - windows working normally
>>> except for the first time after the firtst reboot.
>> I had all high priority Pro/SP2 upgrades installed, and the update to
>> XP3 was one of the most boring upgrades I've seen.     Seamonkey ran
>> flawlessly and even RealPlayer ran afterwards.
>>
>> The ISO image version was even fast.
>
> I think MS needs a checklist for handling release media.  From the
> SP3 iso:
>
> -----
> /media/opticaldrive $ lynx --dump faq.htm | head -n 7
>
>         More information about installing Service Pack 2
>
>    [1]How long will it take to install Service Pack 2?
>
>    [2]How will the security of my computer be enhanced?
>
>    [3]Where can I get more information about Service Pack 2?
> -----
>
> [followup set to mozilla.general]

What do those items have to do with SP3?

--
Terry R.

"Terry R." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The date and time was 5/9/2008 2:59 PM, and on a whim, »Q« pounded
> out on the keyboard:
>
> > On Thu, 08 May 2008 20:14:25 -0600
> > Lon Stowell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> I had all high priority Pro/SP2 upgrades installed, and the update
> >> to XP3 was one of the most boring upgrades I've seen.
> >> Seamonkey ran flawlessly and even RealPlayer ran afterwards.
> >>
> >> The ISO image version was even fast.
> >
> > I think MS needs a checklist for handling release media.  From the
> > SP3 iso:
> >
> > -----
> > /media/opticaldrive $ lynx --dump faq.htm | head -n 7
> >
> >         More information about installing Service Pack 2
> >
> >    [1]How long will it take to install Service Pack 2?
> >
> >    [2]How will the security of my computer be enhanced?
> >
> >    [3]Where can I get more information about Service Pack 2?
> > -----
> >
> > [followup set to mozilla.general]
>
> What do those items have to do with SP3?

Nothing other than their presence on the SP3 cd.

Re: Service Pack 3 for XP is Toxic, Need help with Seamonkey

Terry R.
The date and time was 5/9/2008 3:31 PM, and on a whim, »Q« pounded out
on the keyboard:

> "Terry R." <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The date and time was 5/9/2008 2:59 PM, and on a whim, »Q« pounded
>> out on the keyboard:

>>> I think MS needs a checklist for handling release media.  From the
>>> SP3 iso:
>>>
>>> -----
>>> /media/opticaldrive $ lynx --dump faq.htm | head -n 7
>>>
>>>         More information about installing Service Pack 2
>>>
>>>    [1]How long will it take to install Service Pack 2?
>>>
>>>    [2]How will the security of my computer be enhanced?
>>>
>>>    [3]Where can I get more information about Service Pack 2?
>>> -----
>>>
>>> [followup set to mozilla.general]
>> What do those items have to do with SP3?
>
> Nothing other than their presence on the SP3 cd.

Why would "their presence" be needed on an SP3 cd?  Why would ANY info
about SP2 be needed on an SP3 cd?

--
Terry R.

"Terry R." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The date and time was 5/9/2008 3:31 PM, and on a whim, »Q« pounded
> out on the keyboard:
>
> > "Terry R." <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> The date and time was 5/9/2008 2:59 PM, and on a whim, »Q« pounded
> >> out on the keyboard:

> >> What do those items have to do with SP3?
> >
> > Nothing other than their presence on the SP3 cd.
>
> Why would "their presence" be needed on an SP3 cd?  Why would ANY
> info about SP2 be needed on an SP3 cd?

It's not needed.  It's a mistake, which is why I said I think they
need a checklist.