Re: Service Pack 3 for Windows XP

»Q«
[crossposted, followup set to mozilla.general]

As far as I can tell, there aren't any SeaMonkey problems related to
SP3.  For general discussion of things like the best method for
installing SP3 or slipstreaming SP3, please migrate to mozilla.general
by settings followups.  Thanks.

Re: Service Pack 3 for Windows XP

»Q«
On Thu, 15 May 2008 12:15:06 -0400
Ed Mullen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you have a Web resource you used to make your slipstream CD?

<http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-service-pack-3-into-your-windows-xp-installation-cd>
has the best rundown I've run across.

[crossposted, followup set to m.general]

Re: Service Pack 3 for Windows XP

Terry R.
The date and time was 5/15/2008 6:17 PM, and on a whim, »Q« pounded out
on the keyboard:

> On Thu, 15 May 2008 12:15:06 -0400
> Ed Mullen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Do you have a Web resource you used to make your slipstream CD?
>
> <http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-service-pack-3-into-your-windows-xp-installation-cd>
> has the best rundown I've run across.
>
> [crossposted, followup set to m.general]

For the average user, nLite is overkill.  And the writer states you only
need an XP CD.  He didn't mention that at least SP1 was required.

I think most people would waste a significant amount of time trying to
slipstream with nlite. If you are only installing on one computer and
doing so infrequently, then it is probably faster to just install the OS
and then the update from the network install.  The method works great if
you have a lot of workstations that are all the same, but otherwise I'd
go with the link I recommended, since you can use it on any workstation.

--
Terry R.

"Terry R." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For the average user, nLite is overkill.

I agree.  The average user won't ever install XP, let alone need to
create install media.

Re: Service Pack 3 for Windows XP

Ed Mullen
Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was 5/15/2008 6:17 PM, and on a whim, »Q« pounded out
> on the keyboard:
>
>> On Thu, 15 May 2008 12:15:06 -0400
>> Ed Mullen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Do you have a Web resource you used to make your slipstream CD?
>>
>> <http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-service-pack-3-into-your-windows-xp-installation-cd>
>>
>> has the best rundown I've run across.
>>
>> [crossposted, followup set to m.general]
>
> For the average user, nLite is overkill.  And the writer states you only
> need an XP CD.  He didn't mention that at least SP1 was required.

But, the original MS CD I use is an SP2 OEM CD.  So, it should have worked

The only failure was then one I mentioned, a failure on "ntldr" So,,
noting is yet exlained.

> I think most people would waste a significant amount of time trying to
> slipstream with nlite. If you are only installing on one computer and
> doing so infrequently, then it is probably faster to just install the OS
> and then the update from the network install.  The method works great if
> you have a lot of workstations that are all the same, but otherwise I'd
> go with the link I recommended, since you can use it on any workstation.

Well, I have 4 PCs to manage.  And I'm happy deal with them each as a
separate entity.  My problem is that, on the first one I tried it on it
failed.

And, that site you cited was one I checked.  I'll go have another look.
  thanks.

--

Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Re: Service Pack 3 for Windows XP

Terry R.
The date and time was 5/16/2008 3:27 PM, and on a whim, Ed Mullen
pounded out on the keyboard:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was 5/15/2008 6:17 PM, and on a whim, »Q« pounded out
>> on the keyboard:

>>> <http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-service-pack-3-into-your-windows-xp-installation-cd>
>>>
>>> has the best rundown I've run across.
>>>
>>> [crossposted, followup set to m.general]
>> For the average user, nLite is overkill.  And the writer states you only
>> need an XP CD.  He didn't mention that at least SP1 was required.
>
> But, the original MS CD I use is an SP2 OEM CD.  So, it should have worked
>
> The only failure was then one I mentioned, a failure on "ntldr" So,,
> noting is yet exlained.

The CD's I created were also from a SP2 CD.

>> I think most people would waste a significant amount of time trying to
>> slipstream with nlite. If you are only installing on one computer and
>> doing so infrequently, then it is probably faster to just install the OS
>> and then the update from the network install.  The method works great if
>> you have a lot of workstations that are all the same, but otherwise I'd
>> go with the link I recommended, since you can use it on any workstation.
>>

> Well, I have 4 PCs to manage.  And I'm happy deal with them each as a
> separate entity.  My problem is that, on the first one I tried it on it
> failed.
>
> And, that site you cited was one I checked.  I'll go have another look.
>   thanks.

Are all 4 of yours identical? Probably not.  So creating an nLite
slipstream would be a waste of time for you.  But a standard slipstream
SP3 CD will work on any computer.

»Q« wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 2008 12:15:06 -0400
> Ed Mullen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Do you have a Web resource you used to make your slipstream CD?
>
> <http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-service-pack-3-into-your-windows-xp-installation-cd>
> has the best rundown I've run across.
>
> [crossposted, followup set to m.general]

I used nLite and the process on that site and it resulted in a CD that
failed as described.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net