Re: Seamonkey usage

os24u
** Reply to note from [hidden email] Mon, 28 Oct 2019 12:00:01 +0000

> Message: 1 Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 11:02:49 -0700 From: Ray Davison <[hidden email]> To:
> [hidden email] Subject: Should I try OS/2 SM again? Message-ID:
> <[hidden email]> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
>
> Several years ago, under eCS 2.1 I tried to get to a website with SM,  and all I got was a black page with a pinwheel in
> the middle. At that  point I decided life was too short for such "challenges", and stopped  trying to shop under eCS.

 Likely was a FF version issue, not an OS one.

> The last time I tried to run SM under OS/2 I apparently either did not  have all the pieces, and/or did not have them all in
> the correct places.  My question is; should I again try to go shopping with OS/2? I have  eCS 2.1. Should I be able to get
> SM to do mail and get to almost all  sites, except maybe need FF to get to Chase?

 I do online transactions with ECS and non-current FF.  The issue with SM or FF is adding required libraries (dll files). ANPM
should take care of that if you don't wish to install manually. If you do want manual, use pmdll to determine missing dll
files.

 Falkon browser will soon be here, possibly making Mozilla browsers irrelevant. As for Chase, is it doing a user agent
string test? Some stupid sites do not realize there are many names for mozilla browsers, expecting Firefox in string.

        Cal

Re: Seamonkey usage

Mozilla - OS/2 mailing list
On 10/30/2019 2:35 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Falkon browser will soon be here, possibly making Mozilla browsers irrelevant.

Only if you are smoking the same pipe dream as Roderick.  ;-)

> As for Chase, is it doing a user agent string test? Some stupid sites
> do not realize there are many names for mozilla browsers, expecting
> Firefox in string.

Yes, Chase has been broken for a while now with SeaMonkey.  :(

Re: Seamonkey usage

Ray Davison
Steve Wendt via dev-ports-os2 wrote:

> Yes, Chase has been broken for a while now with SeaMonkey.

At least Chase tells you it won't work.  I have been to other sites with
SM under Win that seem to work but don't quite complete what you are
trying to do.  My favorite is when I click a link on a site, and the
address in the lower left that is where it is trying to go says it is
trying to log me into Facebook.  Switching to FF fills in the pieces
that were missing in SM and the links send me to the proper address.

But I still do all banking except Chase on SM.  Some sites complain but
still work.

Re: Seamonkey usage

Peter Brown
Hi

[hidden email] wrote:

> ** Reply to note from [hidden email] Mon, 28 Oct 2019 12:00:01 +0000
>>
>> Message: 1 Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 11:02:49 -0700 From: Ray Davison <[hidden email]> To:
>> [hidden email] Subject: Should I try OS/2 SM again? Message-ID:
>> <[hidden email]> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
>>
>> Several years ago, under eCS 2.1 I tried to get to a website with SM,  and all I got was a black page with a pinwheel in
>> the middle. At that  point I decided life was too short for such "challenges", and stopped  trying to shop under eCS.
>
>  Likely was a FF version issue, not an OS one.
>
>> The last time I tried to run SM under OS/2 I apparently either did not  have all the pieces, and/or did not have them all in
>> the correct places.  My question is; should I again try to go shopping with OS/2? I have  eCS 2.1. Should I be able to get
>> SM to do mail and get to almost all  sites, except maybe need FF to get to Chase?
>
>  I do online transactions with ECS and non-current FF.  The issue with SM or FF is adding required libraries (dll files). ANPM
> should take care of that if you don't wish to install manually. If you do want manual, use pmdll to determine missing dll
> files.

Even better for manual install: visit
http://os2news.warpstock.org/Warpzilla.html and download support files
in zip packages.

Regards

Pete

>  Falkon browser will soon be here, possibly making Mozilla browsers irrelevant. As for Chase, is it doing a user agent
> string test? Some stupid sites do not realize there are many names for mozilla browsers, expecting Firefox in string.
>
>         Cal

Re: Seamonkey usage

Dave Yeo-3
Ray Davison wrote:

> Steve Wendt via dev-ports-os2 wrote:
>>
>> Yes, Chase has been broken for a while now with SeaMonkey.
>
> At least Chase tells you it won't work.  I have been to other sites with
> SM under Win that seem to work but don't quite complete what you are
> trying to do.  My favorite is when I click a link on a site, and the
> address in the lower left that is where it is trying to go says it is
> trying to log me into Facebook.  Switching to FF fills in the pieces
> that were missing in SM and the links send me to the proper address.
>
> But I still do all banking except Chase on SM.  Some sites complain but
> still work.

Have you tried changing your user agent? I'm using "User Agent Switcher"
and surprisingly, what seems to work best is just sending a blank user
agent for some sites. Claiming to be FF 52 or 60 on Linux also works for
some sites but have to be careful that the site doesn't try to use some
unsupported JavaScript.
I'm also coming across sites where our NSS seems to not support the
encryption the site uses. In theory it shouldn't be hard to update NSS
(and NSPR as they go together) but my first attempt resulted in a crashy
SM, whereas using the old ones and keeping the DLLs loaded high is very
stable besides the CPU usage on some sites or even just enabling Chatzilla.
As others have said, the trick is the dependencies. I believe Steve has
kept up with the needed ones though I do wonder about fontconfig not
being properly installed, it needs to find its config files in
@UNIXROOT/etc.
ANPM is a much better way to do it, it's free from Arca Noae, you can
put your Unixroot on any drive and install all the prerequisites.
Unluckily the SM RPM is going to be a subscription thing I believe and
since I'm not packaging the RPM, it is not my place to distribute it.
Dave