Re: Seamonkey profile

Christer Jacobsson
Dave Yeo wrote:

> Peter Brown wrote:
>> Hi Christer
>>
>> Christer Jacobsson wrote:

>>> If She uses your example, i.e. setting SET MOZILLA_HOME=R:\mozilla.org,
>>

>> I would shorten that to SET MOZILLA_HOME=R: as the Mozilla app will then
>> create a directory structure R:\Mozilla\Profiles on first startup.
>
> No, only Firefox and SeaMonkey use Mozilla.
> I have SET MOZILLA_HOME=Z:\Mozprofiles and under that
> Downloads (created by SM IIRC)
> Moonchild Productions (Where Palemoon put its profile)
> Mozilla
> Thunderbird
>
> and under Mozilla
> Extensions (unused, I believe it for Firefox and universally installed
> extensions)
> Firefox
> Profiles (SM 1.x)
> SeaMonkey (SM 2.x)
>
> Much better to put these under a common subdirectory.

Yes, She wants the flattest possible dir trees for the SM and FF
profiles, for example:

R:\MOZILLA and under that
PROFILES\SEAMONKEY\CHRISTER (The new profile(S)for SM should go under
PROFILES\SEAMONKEY\<other profile)>
PROFILES\FIREFOX\CHRISTER (The new profile(s) should go under
PROFILES\FIREFOX\<new profile>.

Is this possible and how should the new SET MOZILLA_HOME be set?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 21th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
        Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)

Re: Seamonkey profile

Christer Jacobsson
Dave Yeo wrote:
> Peter Brown wrote:
>> Hi Christer

As Salaam Aleikum!

Sorry for resending this msg, but She haven't gotten any answer on it.

>> Christer Jacobsson wrote:

>>> If She uses your example, i.e. setting SET MOZILLA_HOME=R:\mozilla.org,
>>

>> I would shorten that to SET MOZILLA_HOME=R: as the Mozilla app will then
>> create a directory structure R:\Mozilla\Profiles on first startup.
>
> No, only Firefox and SeaMonkey use Mozilla.
> I have SET MOZILLA_HOME=Z:\Mozprofiles and under that
> Downloads (created by SM IIRC)
> Moonchild Productions (Where Palemoon put its profile)
> Mozilla
> Thunderbird
>
> and under Mozilla
> Extensions (unused, I believe it for Firefox and universally installed
> extensions)
> Firefox
> Profiles (SM 1.x)
> SeaMonkey (SM 2.x)
>
> Much better to put these under a common subdirectory.

Yes, She wants the flattest possible dir trees for the SM and FF
profiles, for example:

R:\MOZILLA and under that
PROFILES\SEAMONKEY\CHRISTER (The new profile(S)for SM should go under
PROFILES\SEAMONKEY\<other profile)>
PROFILES\FIREFOX\CHRISTER (The new profile(s) should go under
PROFILES\FIREFOX\<new profile>.

Is this possible and how should the new SET MOZILLA_HOME be set?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 21th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
        Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)
        Team eCs       e-mail:  [hidden email]   (Alternate)
        Team DRW       Dare Refuse Windows
        Chunkawakan    Lakota/Sioux: Horse

Re: Seamonkey profile

Dave Yeo-3
On 09/30/17 10:39 PM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> Dave Yeo wrote:
>> Peter Brown wrote:
>>> Hi Christer
>>>

> As Salaam Aleikum!
>
> Sorry for resending this msg, but She haven't gotten any answer on it.

>>> I would shorten that to SET MOZILLA_HOME=R: as the Mozilla app will then
>>> create a directory structure R:\Mozilla\Profiles on first startup.
>>
>> No, only Firefox and SeaMonkey use Mozilla.
>> I have SET MOZILLA_HOME=Z:\Mozprofiles and under that
>> Downloads (created by SM IIRC)
>> Moonchild Productions (Where Palemoon put its profile)
>> Mozilla
>> Thunderbird
>>
>> and under Mozilla
>> Extensions (unused, I believe it for Firefox and universally installed
>> extensions)
>> Firefox
>> Profiles (SM 1.x)
>> SeaMonkey (SM 2.x)
>>
>> Much better to put these under a common subdirectory.
>>

> Yes, She wants the flattest possible dir trees for the SM and FF
> profiles, for example:
>
> R:\MOZILLA and under that
> PROFILES\SEAMONKEY\CHRISTER (The new profile(S)for SM should go under
> PROFILES\SEAMONKEY\<other profile)>
> PROFILES\FIREFOX\CHRISTER (The new profile(s) should go under
> PROFILES\FIREFOX\<new profile>.
>
> Is this possible and how should the new SET MOZILLA_HOME be set?

I don't know if it is possible. You'd need to set MOZILLA_HOME=R:\ and
test. It _should_ work but I've seen Firefox have problems downloading
to the root of drives.
If I remember, I may test later
Dave

Re: Seamonkey profile

Dave Yeo-3
On 09/30/17 11:00 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:

>> Yes, She wants the flattest possible dir trees for the SM and FF
>> profiles, for example:
>>
>> R:\MOZILLA and under that
>> PROFILES\SEAMONKEY\CHRISTER (The new profile(S)for SM should go under
>> PROFILES\SEAMONKEY\<other profile)>
>> PROFILES\FIREFOX\CHRISTER (The new profile(s) should go under
>> PROFILES\FIREFOX\<new profile>.
>>
>> Is this possible and how should the new SET MOZILLA_HOME be set?
>
> I don't know if it is possible. You'd need to set MOZILLA_HOME=R:\ and
> test. It _should_ work but I've seen Firefox have problems downloading
> to the root of drives.
> If I remember, I may test later

Tested, set MOZILLA_HOME=H:\ and ran Firefox and SeaMonkey.
Under the root, 3 subdirectories, Extensions, Firefox and SeaMonkey.
Extensions is empty, meant for extensions installed for all profiles I
think.
Firefox and SeaMonkey have the usual structure, profiles directory then
profile
Dave

Re: Seamonkey profile

Christer Jacobsson
Dave Yeo wrote:

> On 09/30/17 11:00 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:
>>> Yes, She wants the flattest possible dir trees for the SM and FF
>>> profiles, for example:
>>>
>>> R:\MOZILLA and under that
>>> PROFILES\SEAMONKEY\CHRISTER (The new profile(S)for SM should go under
>>> PROFILES\SEAMONKEY\<other profile)>
>>> PROFILES\FIREFOX\CHRISTER (The new profile(s) should go under
>>> PROFILES\FIREFOX\<new profile>.
>>>
>>> Is this possible and how should the new SET MOZILLA_HOME be set?
>>
>> I don't know if it is possible. You'd need to set MOZILLA_HOME=R:\ and
>> test. It _should_ work but I've seen Firefox have problems downloading
>> to the root of drives.
>> If I remember, I may test later
>
> Tested, set MOZILLA_HOME=H:\ and ran Firefox and SeaMonkey.
> Under the root, 3 subdirectories, Extensions, Firefox and SeaMonkey.
> Extensions is empty, meant for extensions installed for all profiles I
> think.
> Firefox and SeaMonkey have the usual structure, profiles directory then
> profile
> Dave

OK, then She can create the structure as shown above, but what will
happen when She upgrades SMpMW118 to SM 2.1?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan

Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> Dave Yeo wrote:

>>> I don't know if it is possible. You'd need to set MOZILLA_HOME=R:\ and
>>> test. It _should_ work but I've seen Firefox have problems downloading
>>> to the root of drives.
>>> If I remember, I may test later
>>
>> Tested, set MOZILLA_HOME=H:\ and ran Firefox and SeaMonkey.
>> Under the root, 3 subdirectories, Extensions, Firefox and SeaMonkey.
>> Extensions is empty, meant for extensions installed for all profiles I
>> think.
>> Firefox and SeaMonkey have the usual structure, profiles directory
>> then profile
>> Dave
>>

> OK, then She can create the structure as shown above, but what will
> happen when She upgrades SMpMW118 to SM 2.1?

Good question. It has been so long since I used the migrator that I
can't remember if you have a choice where the old profile lives.
You're probably going to have to experiment and possibly manually migrate.
Dave

Re: Seamonkey profile

Christer Jacobsson
Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> Dave Yeo wrote:

>>> I don't know if it is possible. You'd need to set MOZILLA_HOME=R:\ and
>>> test. It _should_ work but I've seen Firefox have problems downloading
>>> to the root of drives.
>>> If I remember, I may test later

Does not FF download for example a .pdf file to either the x:\tmp or
x:\temp dirs and then process it from there, for instance calling Lucide
for a .pdf file?

>> Tested, set MOZILLA_HOME=H:\ and ran Firefox and SeaMonkey.
>> Under the root, 3 subdirectories, Extensions, Firefox and SeaMonkey.
>> Extensions is empty, meant for extensions installed for all profiles I
>> think.
>> Firefox and SeaMonkey have the usual structure, profiles directory
>> then profile
>> Dave

OK, so now we know that. But if She sets the MOZILLA_HOME=r:\ and
reboots, won't the old profiles for SM and FF be unavaible? Perhaps She
must have two command prompts available, the first for accessing the old
SMPMW118 profile, the other for creating the dir tree on r:\ and locally
setting MOZILLA_HOME=R: and invoking the profile manager for SMPMW118
from there?

And now when we're talking of SMPMW and SM, what charset should She use?
Currently She uses UTF-8 instead of the standard 'Western ISO-8859-15'
because the Swedish language's three tail-end characters 'Å/å', 'Ä/ä'
and 'Ö/ö' which isn't always displyed correctly in return posts. So what
charset should She use? UTF-8, Western or some other charset? She only
posts in Swedish and English, not other languages.

And would the structure above had to be altered when She migrates
SMPMW118 to SM 2.1 and lastly to it's final version?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 21th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
        Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)
        Team eCs       e-mail:  [hidden email]   (Alternate)
        Team DRW       Dare Refuse Windows
        Chunkawakan    Lakota/Sioux: Horse

Re: Seamonkey profile

Ray Davison
Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> OK, then She can create the structure as shown above, but what will
> happen when She upgrades SMpMW118 to SM 2.1?

Don't "upgrade".  Don't discard apps or OSs until you decide you like
the new better than the old.  Once while searching for the insertion
time of a bug I had twenty SM versions available to run.

Install the new alongside to old.  Create run objects for as many
versions as you chose to maintain.  Have -Profilemanager as the
parameter.  Activate the run object and Profilemanager will open.
Select the profile for that secession.

My profile tree has since early Netscape been:
I:\Profiles\profile1
I:\Profiles\profile2
I:\Profiles\profile3
I:\Profiles\profile4
I:\Profiles\profile5

The above are a mix of OS/2 SM, FF, Win SM, FF, Pale Moon, Foosa,,,.

To move a profile, copy it to your choice location, open profilemanager,
take it by the hand to the copied location, and tell SM to use it.  When
that works, delete the original.

Ray