Re: Seamonkey profile

Christer Jacobsson
[hidden email] wrote:

> ** Reply to note from [hidden email] Wed, 22 Feb 2017 12:00:07 +0000
>>
>> 1. Creating a new profile for SMPmW118 (Christer Jacobsson)
>>
>> The profile She uses now is faulty, first it can't be changed and  secondly, processing
>> email, for example deleting file attaches from  outgoing emails (She shares music files
>> with a friend) is nearly  impossible and IF the process succeds it's logey as hell. So She
>> want to  create a new fresh profile for SM, but to do that She has to have the  current
>> profile visible. So how does She accomplish this? As She  understands She have to open a
>> second instance of SM with some parameter  so it will enter the Profile Manager mode, but
>> what is this parameter,  and how do I do so that two instances of SMPmW118 are open
>> simultaneously?
>
>  Start your .exe file with parameter: -ProfileManager

Ok, so She can just do this and create a a new profile, and She espied
that a tool exist in SmpMw118 namely the Import facility where you can
import the adress book, mail and Settings, but the last She can't use
'cause it will import the faulty profile, but importing the Adress book
and the mail/newsgroups should work fine. But where should She place the
new profile, in the y:\mozilla.org tree or perhaps on the FAT32 volume
so the new profile can be accessed by both SMpMw118 and it's Win
equivalent as some sites She have troubles loggin in to with FF 10.0.12
and 17.0.11esr

>> And lastly two questions. Does some program exist that can check mail  files in SMPmW118
>> for damages and if possible repair them and also  delete duplicate messages? For FF, does
>> some "vacuum cleaner" program  exist that can go through the files urlclassifier.sqlite
>> and  places.sqlite (She thinks that the last file contains both bookmarks and  history data
>> and remove duplicate entries and (hopefully) compact the  files. For FF She have installed
>> a extension that allows history data to  be kept for more than the seven-day standard - She
>> have set the limit to  99999 days - handy if She forgets the name for a certain site She
>> accessed a long time ago and want to revisit again.
>
>  urlclassifier.sqlite can be deleted, will be re-created again at next startup. It grows
> huge. You can stop this behavior by unchecking in Preference/Security:
>
> block reported attack sites
> block reported web forgeries
>
>  This has the effect of not sending Google every url you enter. As for vacuuming there is a
> utility on Hobbes:
>
> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/internet/misc/upssv-1.0rc3.zip
>
>  Looked a bit complex, inform if you have it functional.
>
>         Cal

This may be a bit offtopic, but have somebody in this ng have any
experience using File and print service in eCs? She plans to install the
ecs22_en_cd1_smp_betaII.zip on the new box which comes with both the
Air-boot and the PEER server that's is running here in eCs 1.2. So what
steps must be taken so that She can transfer all partitions to the new box?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 21th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
        Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)

Re: Seamonkey profile

Dave Yeo-3
Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> ** Reply to note from [hidden email] Wed, 22
>> Feb 2017 12:00:07 +0000
>>>   1. Creating a new profile for SMPmW118 (Christer Jacobsson)
>>>   The profile She uses now is faulty, first it can't be changed and
>>> secondly, processing
>>> email, for example deleting file attaches from  outgoing emails (She
>>> shares music files
>>> with a friend) is nearly  impossible and IF the process succeds it's
>>> logey as hell. So She
>>> want to  create a new fresh profile for SM, but to do that She has to
>>> have the  current
>>> profile visible. So how does She accomplish this? As She  understands
>>> She have to open a
>>> second instance of SM with some parameter  so it will enter the
>>> Profile Manager mode, but
>>> what is this parameter,  and how do I do so that two instances of
>>> SMPmW118 are open
>>> simultaneously?
>>     Start your .exe file with parameter: -ProfileManager
>>

> Ok, so She can just do this and create a a new profile, and She espied
> that a tool exist in SmpMw118 namely the Import facility where you can
> import the adress book, mail and Settings, but the last She can't use
> 'cause it will import the faulty profile, but importing the Adress book
> and the mail/newsgroups should work fine. But where should She place the
> new profile, in the y:\mozilla.org tree or perhaps on the FAT32 volume
> so the new profile can be accessed by both SMpMw118 and it's Win
> equivalent as some sites She have troubles loggin in to with FF 10.0.12
> and 17.0.11esr

It's up to you. I know of people who put the profile on a FAT32 volume
to share their profile and they report that it works fine as long as the
drive letter is the same.
Eventually you should consider upgrading SeaMonkey and Firefox. Not easy
getting all the dependencies unless you use YUM/RPM or better, the Arca
Noae Package Manager (ANPM), free download.

>>> And lastly two questions. Does some program exist that can check
>>> mail  files in SMPmW118
>>> for damages and if possible repair them and also  delete duplicate
>>> messages? For FF, does
>>> some "vacuum cleaner" program  exist that can go through the files
>>> urlclassifier.sqlite
>>> and  places.sqlite (She thinks that the last file contains both
>>> bookmarks and  history data
>>> and remove duplicate entries and (hopefully) compact the  files. For
>>> FF She have installed
>>> a extension that allows history data to  be kept for more than the
>>> seven-day standard - She
>>> have set the limit to  99999 days - handy if She forgets the name for
>>> a certain site She accessed a long time ago and want to revisit again.
>>     urlclassifier.sqlite can be deleted, will be re-created again at
>> next startup. It grows
>> huge. You can stop this behavior by unchecking in Preference/Security:
>>
>> block reported attack sites
>> block reported web forgeries
>>
>>  This has the effect of not sending Google every url you enter. As for
>> vacuuming there is a
>> utility on Hobbes:
>>
>> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/internet/misc/upssv-1.0rc3.zip
>>

>>  Looked a bit complex, inform if you have it functional.
>>
>>         Cal
>>

> This may be a bit offtopic, but have somebody in this ng have any
> experience using File and print service in eCs? She plans to install the
> ecs22_en_cd1_smp_betaII.zip on the new box which comes with both the
> Air-boot and the PEER server that's is running here in eCs 1.2. So what
> steps must be taken so that She can transfer all partitions to the new box?

I've always just moved my hard drives to new boxes and used xcopy to
move partitions to new hard drives (after partitioning).
ArcaOS has been released as well if you want something more up to date
Dave

Re: Seamonkey profile

Christer Jacobsson
Dave Yeo wrote:

> Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>> ** Reply to note from [hidden email] Wed, 22
>>> Feb 2017 12:00:07 +0000
>>>     Start your .exe file with parameter: -ProfileManager
>>>

>> Ok, so She can just do this and create a a new profile, and She espied
>> that a tool exist in SmpMw118 namely the Import facility where you can
>> import the adress book, mail and Settings, but the last She can't use
>> 'cause it will import the faulty profile, but importing the Adress book
>> and the mail/newsgroups should work fine. But where should She place the
>> new profile, in the y:\mozilla.org tree or perhaps on the FAT32 volume
>> so the new profile can be accessed by both SMpMw118 and it's Win
>> equivalent as some sites She have troubles loggin in to with FF 10.0.12
>> and 17.0.11esr
>
> It's up to you. I know of people who put the profile on a FAT32 volume
> to share their profile and they report that it works fine as long as the
> drive letter is the same.
> Eventually you should consider upgrading SeaMonkey and Firefox. Not easy
> getting all the dependencies unless you use YUM/RPM or better, the Arca
> Noae Package Manager (ANPM), free download.

Why She havent't upgraded SMpMW yet it's because this ole box only have
640Mib of memory, but after the transfer to the new box with a new and
healthy profiel, then it's time to upgrade to SM 2.1 first and then to
the latest SM version - the new box have 8Gib of memory (and yes, She
knows that WSeB and various eCs'es can't handle more than 4Gib, but a
guy in an eCs newsgroup hade hacked the kernel so that data can be
placed above the 4Gib limit - good for placing tempoary in the x:\tmp
and x:\temp dirs.

>>>     urlclassifier.sqlite can be deleted, will be re-created again at
>>> next startup. It grows
>>> huge. You can stop this behavior by unchecking in Preference/Security:
>>>
>>> block reported attack sites
>>> block reported web forgeries
>>>
>>>  This has the effect of not sending Google every url you enter. As for
>>> vacuuming there is a
>>> utility on Hobbes:
>>>
>>> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/internet/misc/upssv-1.0rc3.zip
>>>

>>>  Looked a bit complex, inform if you have it functional.
>>>
>>>         Cal
>>>

>> This may be a bit offtopic, but have somebody in this ng have any
>> experience using File and print service in eCs? She plans to install the
>> ecs22_en_cd1_smp_betaII.zip on the new box which comes with both the
>> Air-boot and the PEER server that's is running here in eCs 1.2. So what
>> steps must be taken so that She can transfer all partitions to the new
>> box?
>>

> I've always just moved my hard drives to new boxes and used xcopy to
> move partitions to new hard drives (after partitioning).
> ArcaOS has been released as well if you want something more up to date
> Dave

And just HOW do you that XCOPY if the driveletters are the same on your
new box and the old box? That method of moving your partitions, how does
the XCOPY statement look when you XCOPY all your partitions to the new
box over the network?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 21th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
        Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)
        Team eCs       e-mail:  [hidden email]   (Alternate)
        Team DRW       Dare Refuse Windows
        Chunkawakan    Lakota/Sioux: Horse

Re: Seamonkey profile

Frank-Rainer Grahl-3
Dave Yeo wrote:
>   This has the effect of not sending Google every url you enter. As for
> vacuuming there is a

Safebrowsing does not send google urls. It matches the urls you visit
against a static blacklist which is updated during startup. Even
disabling the options won't stop downloading the lists. SeaMonkey 2.52+
uses the js downloads backend. For this I still need to check to make
sure that downloaded files are not checked realtime. I don't think so but...

FRG

Re: Seamonkey profile

Christer Jacobsson
Dave Yeo wrote:

> [...]

>>>         Cal
>>>

>> This may be a bit offtopic, but have somebody in this ng have any
>> experience using File and print service in eCs? She plans to install the
>> ecs22_en_cd1_smp_betaII.zip on the new box which comes with both the
>> Air-boot and the PEER server that's is running here in eCs 1.2. So what
>> steps must be taken so that She can transfer all partitions to the new
>> box?
>>

> I've always just moved my hard drives to new boxes and used xcopy to
> move partitions to new hard drives (after partitioning).
> ArcaOS has been released as well if you want something more up to date
> Dave

And just HOW do you that XCOPY if the driveletters are the same on your
new box and the old box? That method of moving your partitions, how does
the XCOPY statement look when you XCOPY all your partitions to the new
box over the network? Does She have to install for instance
ecs22_en_cd1_smp_betaII.zip on the box and creating the partitions from
there? Or does it suffice that the new box be defined with a different
name in the router/gatewap than the name the current box have in the
router/gateway?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 21th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
        Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)
        Team eCs       e-mail:  [hidden email]   (Alternate)
        Team DRW       Dare Refuse Windows
        Chunkawakan    Lakota/Sioux: Horse

Re: Seamonkey profile

Peter Brown
Hi Christer

----- big snip -----

>> I've always just moved my hard drives to new boxes and used xcopy to
>> move partitions to new hard drives (after partitioning).
>> ArcaOS has been released as well if you want something more up to date
>> Dave
>>

> And just HOW do you that XCOPY if the driveletters are the same on your
> new box and the old box? That method of moving your partitions, how does
> the XCOPY statement look when you XCOPY all your partitions to the new
> box over the network?
>

> Cul8er alligator!
> gaea - feminist & chunkawakan

The trick is to use different drive letters when initially creating new
volumes on the new disk. Then, after successfully using xcopy, change
the drive letter on the original (copied from) drive to another letter
not already in use thus "freeing up" the original drive letter for use
on the new drive.

eg

Original disk has Volumes C: D: E:

Use LVM to Create new Volume(s) on the new disk F: G: H:

Use xcopy C: to F: D: to G: E: to H:

Use LVM to reassign Volume drive letters C: to I: D: to J: E: to K:
Then reassign Volume drive letters F: to C: G: to D: H: to E:

Shutdown to remove old disk or simply reboot if leaving old disk in system.

Regards

Pete

Re: Seamonkey profile

Dave Yeo-3
Hi Christer, some of this is really off topic for this group, see below

Christer Jacobsson wrote:
> Why She havent't upgraded SMpMW yet it's because this ole box only have
> 640Mib of memory, but after the transfer to the new box with a new and
> healthy profiel, then it's time to upgrade to SM 2.1 first and then to
> the latest SM version - the new box have 8Gib of memory (and yes, She
> knows that WSeB and various eCs'es can't handle more than 4Gib, but a
> guy in an eCs newsgroup hade hacked the kernel so that data can be
> placed above the 4Gib limit - good for placing tempoary in the x:\tmp
> and x:\temp dirs.

ArcaOS comes with a similar utility to allow using memory above 4 GiB
(actually closer to 3.5GiB) as a ram disk.

[...]

>>> This may be a bit offtopic, but have somebody in this ng have any
>>> experience using File and print service in eCs? She plans to install the
>>> ecs22_en_cd1_smp_betaII.zip on the new box which comes with both the
>>> Air-boot and the PEER server that's is running here in eCs 1.2. So what
>>> steps must be taken so that She can transfer all partitions to the
>>> new box?
>>>

>> I've always just moved my hard drives to new boxes and used xcopy to
>> move partitions to new hard drives (after partitioning).
>> ArcaOS has been released as well if you want something more up to date
>> Dave
>>

> And just HOW do you that XCOPY if the driveletters are the same on your
> new box and the old box? That method of moving your partitions, how does
> the XCOPY statement look when you XCOPY all your partitions to the new
> box over the network? Does She have to install for instance
> ecs22_en_cd1_smp_betaII.zip on the box and creating the partitions from
> there? Or does it suffice that the new box be defined with a different
> name in the router/gatewap than the name the current box have in the
> router/gateway?

As Pete said, it is fairly easy with LVM and being able to assign drive
letters. Previously I used to have to plan my partitions carefully, plug
in the new drive as drive #2, do the copying, and then switch the drives
boot order.
The correct xcopy command to copy x: to y: is xcopy /h /o /t /s /e /r /v
x:\* y:\

Can I suggest that you post your questions to usenet, newsgroups such as
comp.os.os2.apps, comp.os.os2.ecs and comp.os.os2.misc are a good start.
If you need an account, there's a few free ones out there. I had good
luck with aioe, news://nntp.aioe.org
Dave

Re: Seamonkey profile

Christer Jacobsson
Dave Yeo wrote:

> Hi Christer, some of this is really off topic for this group, see below
>
> Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>> Why She havent't upgraded SMpMW yet it's because this ole box only have
>> 640Mib of memory, but after the transfer to the new box with a new and
>> healthy profiel, then it's time to upgrade to SM 2.1 first and then to
>> the latest SM version - the new box have 8Gib of memory (and yes, She
>> knows that WSeB and various eCs'es can't handle more than 4Gib, but a
>> guy in an eCs newsgroup hade hacked the kernel so that data can be
>> placed above the 4Gib limit - good for placing tempoary in the x:\tmp
>> and x:\temp dirs.
>>

> ArcaOS comes with a similar utility to allow using memory above 4 GiB
> (actually closer to 3.5GiB) as a ram disk.
>
> [...]
>>>>

>>> I've always just moved my hard drives to new boxes and used xcopy to
>>> move partitions to new hard drives (after partitioning).
>>> ArcaOS has been released as well if you want something more up to date
>>> Dave
>>>

>> And just HOW do you that XCOPY if the driveletters are the same on your
>> new box and the old box? That method of moving your partitions, how does
>> the XCOPY statement look when you XCOPY all your partitions to the new
>> box over the network? Does She have to install for instance
>> ecs22_en_cd1_smp_betaII.zip on the box and creating the partitions from
>> there? Or does it suffice that the new box be defined with a different
>> name in the router/gatewap than the name the current box have in the
>> router/gateway?
>>

> As Pete said, it is fairly easy with LVM and being able to assign drive
> letters. Previously I used to have to plan my partitions carefully, plug
> in the new drive as drive #2, do the copying, and then switch the drives
> boot order.
> The correct xcopy command to copy x: to y: is xcopy /h /o /t /s /e /r /v
> x:\* y:\

Ok, but as the old and the new box is connected to the same router, the
old one having the name 'Sorileasrv' and the new is 'Sorileacli', should
not the XCOPY  look like this? XCOPY /h /o /t /s /e /r /v
\Sorileasrv\c:*.* \Sorileacli\c: ?

> Can I suggest that you post your questions to usenet, newsgroups such as
> comp.os.os2.apps, comp.os.os2.ecs and comp.os.os2.misc are a good start.
> If you need an account, there's a few free ones out there. I had good
> luck with aioe, news://nntp.aioe.org
> Dave

The trouble is that this profile is faulty so She can't access the
ecomstation ng's, only this newsgroup.

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan

Dave Yeo wrote:

> Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>> ** Reply to note from [hidden email] Wed, 22
>>> Feb 2017 12:00:07 +0000
>>>     Start your .exe file with parameter: -ProfileManager
>>>

>> Ok, so She can just do this and create a a new profile, and She espied
>> that a tool exist in SmpMw118 namely the Import facility where you can
>> import the adress book, mail and Settings, but the last She can't use
>> 'cause it will import the faulty profile, but importing the Adress book
>> and the mail/newsgroups should work fine. But where should She place the
>> new profile, in the y:\mozilla.org tree or perhaps on the FAT32 volume
>> so the new profile can be accessed by both SMpMw118 and it's Win
>> equivalent as some sites She have troubles loggin in to with FF 10.0.12
>> and 17.0.11esr
>
> It's up to you. I know of people who put the profile on a FAT32 volume
> to share their profile and they report that it works fine as long as the
> drive letter is the same.

Her WinX have screwed up the FAT32 driveletter from r: (the same as in
os2) to O:, but in the new box the FAT32 volume will have the same
driveletter R: on both sides - will do a clean install of win7 32bit on
that box on a C: primary partition and WSeB on another C: partition and
a flavour of DOS on a C: partition.

She thinks that the simplest way to place the new SMPmW profile would be
to put it in a subdirectory to R:\SEAMONKEY and a new FF profile on
R:\FIREFOX. But that begs the question, must the SET
MOZILLA_HOME=y:\mozilla.org\mozilla be changed or can it be as it is now?

> Eventually you should consider upgrading SeaMonkey and Firefox. Not easy
> getting all the dependencies unless you use YUM/RPM or better, the Arca
> Noae Package Manager (ANPM), free download.

>>>     urlclassifier.sqlite can be deleted, will be re-created again at
>>> next startup. It grows
>>> huge. You can stop this behavior by unchecking in Preference/Security:
>>>
>>> block reported attack sites
>>> block reported web forgeries
>>>
>>>  This has the effect of not sending Google every url you enter. As for
>>> vacuuming there is a
>>> utility on Hobbes:
>>>
>>> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/internet/misc/upssv-1.0rc3.zip
>>>

>>>  Looked a bit complex, inform if you have it functional.
>>>
>>>         Cal
>>>

>> This may be a bit offtopic, but have somebody in this ng have any
>> experience using File and print service in eCs? She plans to install the
>> ecs22_en_cd1_smp_betaII.zip on the new box which comes with both the
>> Air-boot and the PEER server that's is running here in eCs 1.2. So what
>> steps must be taken so that She can transfer all partitions to the new
>> box?
>>

> I've always just moved my hard drives to new boxes and used xcopy to
> move partitions to new hard drives (after partitioning).
> ArcaOS has been released as well if you want something more up to date
> Dave

In Her case it's about moving all data from the old box to the new box
and having the same driveletters on the new box for the corresponding
'old' partitions on the old box, for example the old F: partition with
it''s contents should be copied to the new F: on the new box - rinse and
repeat for all the other partitions that sits on the old box but NOT the
C: that contains W*nXP, there She will do a fresh install. Would be nice
though to somehow backup some applications, i.e. browsers stuff and
restoring them to Win7 when it's created and up and running. She
supposes that this xcopying could be done over the network or using File
and Print services to to the copying. Will also use rsync to backup the
whole system to a 70Gib USB stick formatted with JFS. If File and Print
services don't work, install rsync and restore the whole shebang from
the USB stick. As She understands it an XOPY over a network would be
something like this: XCOPY \\SORILESERV\C:\*.* \\SORILEACLI\C:\ /S /E /V
/H /T /R or is She out in the blue here?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan

Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> Her WinX have screwed up the FAT32 driveletter from r: (the same as in
> os2) to O:, but in the new box the FAT32 volume will have the same
> driveletter R: on both sides - will do a clean install of win7 32bit on
> that box on a C: primary partition and WSeB on another C: partition and
> a flavour of DOS on a C: partition.
>
> She thinks that the simplest way to place the new SMPmW profile would be
> to put it in a subdirectory to R:\SEAMONKEY and a new FF profile on
> R:\FIREFOX. But that begs the question, must the SET
> MOZILLA_HOME=y:\mozilla.org\mozilla be changed or can it be as it is now?

Mozilla will try to use the SET MOZILLA_HOME environmental location
first, and then fall back to the program directories (latest OS/2
versions will first fall back to whatever is in SET HOME). I'd recommend
using SET MOZILLA_HOME as having the profile in the program directory
makes updating hard and will also make migrating to SM v2+ hard.

>> Eventually you should consider upgrading SeaMonkey and Firefox. Not
>> easy getting all the dependencies unless you use YUM/RPM or better,
>> the Arca Noae Package Manager (ANPM), free download.

[...]

>>> This may be a bit offtopic, but have somebody in this ng have any
>>> experience using File and print service in eCs? She plans to install the
>>> ecs22_en_cd1_smp_betaII.zip on the new box which comes with both the
>>> Air-boot and the PEER server that's is running here in eCs 1.2. So what
>>> steps must be taken so that She can transfer all partitions to the
>>> new box?
>>>

>> I've always just moved my hard drives to new boxes and used xcopy to
>> move partitions to new hard drives (after partitioning).
>> ArcaOS has been released as well if you want something more up to date
>> Dave
>>

> In Her case it's about moving all data from the old box to the new box
> and having the same driveletters on the new box for the corresponding
> 'old' partitions on the old box, for example the old F: partition with
> it''s contents should be copied to the new F: on the new box - rinse and
> repeat for all the other partitions that sits on the old box but NOT the
> C: that contains W*nXP, there She will do a fresh install. Would be nice
> though to somehow backup some applications, i.e. browsers stuff and
> restoring them to Win7 when it's created and up and running. She
> supposes that this xcopying could be done over the network or using File
> and Print services to to the copying. Will also use rsync to backup the
> whole system to a 70Gib USB stick formatted with JFS. If File and Print
> services don't work, install rsync and restore the whole shebang from
> the USB stick. As She understands it an XOPY over a network would be
> something like this: XCOPY \\SORILESERV\C:\*.* \\SORILEACLI\C:\ /S /E /V
> /H /T /R or is She out in the blue here?

I've always used /H /O /T /S /E /R /V and don't use *.* but rather * so
the wildcard gets files without a dot or extension
Dave

Re: Seamonkey profile

Christer Jacobsson
Dave Yeo wrote:

> Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>>
>> Her WinX have screwed up the FAT32 driveletter from r: (the same as in
>> os2) to O:, but in the new box the FAT32 volume will have the same
>> driveletter R: on both sides - will do a clean install of win7 32bit on
>> that box on a C: primary partition and WSeB on another C: partition and
>> a flavour of DOS on a C: partition.
>>
>> She thinks that the simplest way to place the new SMPmW profile would be
>> to put it in a subdirectory to R:\SEAMONKEY and a new FF profile on
>> R:\FIREFOX. But that begs the question, must the SET
>> MOZILLA_HOME=y:\mozilla.org\mozilla be changed or can it be as it is now?
>
> Mozilla will try to use the SET MOZILLA_HOME environmental location
> first, and then fall back to the program directories (latest OS/2
> versions will first fall back to whatever is in SET HOME). I'd recommend
> using SET MOZILLA_HOME as having the profile in the program directory
> makes updating hard and will also make migrating to SM v2+ hard.

So how should the new settings for SET_MOZILLA_HOME be set
if She creates an r:\mozilla.org\mozilla catalog on r:, and under that a
catalog named Profiles and under that the new profile names for SMpMw118
and Firefox? Remember that the programs itself will live in the
y:\mozilla.org\mozilla\ dir. And btw, She kicks off SMPmW118 and
Firefox-10.0.12 and Firefox-17.0.11esr and one of the .cmd files She
uses to kick off 17.0esr look like this:

<$quote>

setlocal
set BEGINLIBPATH=n:\mozilla.org\mozilla\firefox-17.0.11esr
set LIBPATHSTRICT=T
set MOZILLA_PLUGIN_PATH=n:\mozilla.org\mozilla\plugins
cdd n:\mozilla.org\mozilla\firefox-17.0.11esr
firefox.exe -P "default" -no_remote
endlocal

</quote>

>>> Eventually you should consider upgrading SeaMonkey and Firefox. Not
>>> easy getting all the dependencies unless you use YUM/RPM or better,
>>> the Arca Noae Package Manager (ANPM), free download.

Must She log into his site or does this utility exist elsewhere, for
example on hobbes, THAT site She can access via the NFTP/2 program.

> [...]
>>>>

>>> I've always just moved my hard drives to new boxes and used xcopy to
>>> move partitions to new hard drives (after partitioning).

Not possible in Her case as the drives on the old system is SCSI and in
the new box 2x500GB SATA drivers.

>>> ArcaOS has been released as well if you want something more up to date
>>> Dave
>>>

>> In Her case it's about moving all data from the old box to the new box
>> and having the same driveletters on the new box for the corresponding
>> 'old' partitions on the old box, for example the old F: partition with
>> it''s contents should be copied to the new F: on the new box - rinse and
>> repeat for all the other partitions that sits on the old box but NOT the
>> C: that contains W*nXP, there She will do a fresh install. Would be nice
>> though to somehow backup some applications, i.e. browsers stuff and
>> restoring them to Win7 when it's created and up and running. She
>> supposes that this xcopying could be done over the network or using File
>> and Print services to to the copying. Will also use rsync to backup the
>> whole system to a 70Gib USB stick formatted with JFS. If File and Print
>> services don't work, install rsync and restore the whole shebang from
>> the USB stick. As She understands it an XOPY over a network would be
>> something like this: XCOPY \\SORILESERV\C:\*.* \\SORILEACLI\C:\ /S /E /V
>> /H /T /R or is She out in the blue here?
>>

> I've always used /H /O /T /S /E /R /V and don't use *.* but rather * so
> the wildcard gets files without a dot or extension
> Dave

Ok, so when the new box is up and running with the and connected to the
network with the name 'SORILEACLI' and the old box with the name
'SORILEASRV' because She have Warp Server installed and had used this
flavour of os/2, She must somehow give the new box access rights to all
the partitions on the old minus the XP partition and using XCOPY
\\SORILEASRV\C:* \\SORILEACLI\C: /H /O /T /S /E /R /V - then rinse &
repeat for all the other partitions that sits on the new box.

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan

Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> Dave Yeo wrote:
>> Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>>>
>>> Her WinX have screwed up the FAT32 driveletter from r: (the same as in
>>> os2) to O:, but in the new box the FAT32 volume will have the same
>>> driveletter R: on both sides - will do a clean install of win7 32bit on
>>> that box on a C: primary partition and WSeB on another C: partition and
>>> a flavour of DOS on a C: partition.
>>>
>>> She thinks that the simplest way to place the new SMPmW profile would be
>>> to put it in a subdirectory to R:\SEAMONKEY and a new FF profile on
>>> R:\FIREFOX. But that begs the question, must the SET
>>> MOZILLA_HOME=y:\mozilla.org\mozilla be changed or can it be as it is
>>> now?
>>
>> Mozilla will try to use the SET MOZILLA_HOME environmental location
>> first, and then fall back to the program directories (latest OS/2
>> versions will first fall back to whatever is in SET HOME). I'd
>> recommend using SET MOZILLA_HOME as having the profile in the program
>> directory makes updating hard and will also make migrating to SM v2+
>> hard.
>>

> So how should the new settings for SET_MOZILLA_HOME be set
> if She creates an r:\mozilla.org\mozilla catalog on r:, and under that a
> catalog named Profiles and under that the new profile names for SMpMw118
> and Firefox? Remember that the programs itself will live in the
> y:\mozilla.org\mozilla\ dir. And btw, She kicks off SMPmW118 and
> Firefox-10.0.12 and Firefox-17.0.11esr and one of the .cmd files She
> uses to kick off 17.0esr look like this:

SET MOZILLA_HOME=r:\mozilla.org\mozilla\Profiles You will end up with a
directory Mozilla under that with Firefox, SeaMonkey (and Profiles for
SM 1.x) directories for their profiles. Might be simpler to have
SET MOZILLA_HOME=r:\mozilla.org.

> <$quote>
>
> setlocal
> set BEGINLIBPATH=n:\mozilla.org\mozilla\firefox-17.0.11esr
> set LIBPATHSTRICT=T
> set MOZILLA_PLUGIN_PATH=n:\mozilla.org\mozilla\plugins
> cdd n:\mozilla.org\mozilla\firefox-17.0.11esr
> firefox.exe -P "default" -no_remote
> endlocal
>
> </quote>

> Must She log into his site or does this utility exist elsewhere, for
> example on hobbes, THAT site She can access via the NFTP/2 program.

Currently you have to use HTTPS to download the utility. If needed, you
can always get wget from Hobbes and use that to download ANPM.

>> [...]
>
> Not possible in Her case as the drives on the old system is SCSI and in
> the new box 2x500GB SATA drivers.

>>> In Her case it's about moving all data from the old box to the new box
>>> and having the same driveletters on the new box for the corresponding
>>> 'old' partitions on the old box, for example the old F: partition with
>>> it''s contents should be copied to the new F: on the new box - rinse and
>>> repeat for all the other partitions that sits on the old box but NOT the
>>> C: that contains W*nXP, there She will do a fresh install. Would be nice
>>> though to somehow backup some applications, i.e. browsers stuff and
>>> restoring them to Win7 when it's created and up and running. She
>>> supposes that this xcopying could be done over the network or using File
>>> and Print services to to the copying. Will also use rsync to backup the
>>> whole system to a 70Gib USB stick formatted with JFS. If File and Print
>>> services don't work, install rsync and restore the whole shebang from
>>> the USB stick. As She understands it an XOPY over a network would be
>>> something like this: XCOPY \\SORILESERV\C:\*.* \\SORILEACLI\C:\ /S /E /V
>>> /H /T /R or is She out in the blue here?
>>>

>> I've always used /H /O /T /S /E /R /V and don't use *.* but rather *
>> so the wildcard gets files without a dot or extension
>> Dave
>
> Ok, so when the new box is up and running with the and connected to the
> network with the name 'SORILEACLI' and the old box with the name
> 'SORILEASRV' because She have Warp Server installed and had used this
> flavour of os/2, She must somehow give the new box access rights to all
> the partitions on the old minus the XP partition and using XCOPY
> \\SORILEASRV\C:* \\SORILEACLI\C: /H /O /T /S /E /R /V - then rinse &
> repeat for all the other partitions that sits on the new box.

Looks right. I've never copied across the network to test
Dave