Re: Printing Envelopes from Address Book

Re: Printing Envelopes from Address Book

Jeffrey Needle
Moritz 'Morty' Strübe wrote:

> Stephen D. Scotti wrote:

>>> Export as CSV or Tabed and import to whatever programm you want. (I.e
>>> OOo/ Word)
>>> Morty
>>
>> I was interested in a way to print an envelope directly for Mozilla
>> using the Address Module without having to export to another program.
>> There must be programming Tools that make it possible to write an
>> extension that can do this?
>>
>> /sds
>>

> Well it's certainly possible. But the effort is probably to high related
> to what you get. As gecko is a html-rendering-engine you will have to
> get the data out of the adressbook (probably no problem), write
> evrything into a DOM-Object (no problem) an print it out. The problem
> will be the layout. You have to take care that every thing ends there
> where you want it to. But the layout depends on the Printer (Papersize,
> margin, etc). So you would have to check that out, too. And you must
> create an Interface to set these things up.
> The Effort to export what you want and import it into some
> office-application is much less. IMHO it would be more sensible to write
> a plugin to Word/OOo that has access to your contacts. As, if I remember
> right, the strange Netscape-Db (don't remember the name) is supposed to
> be replaced by SQLlite this might be no problem sometime in the future.
> I'm not a dev so please don't blame me if something I'm telling isn't
> 100% correct.

Even further, it would be helpful to have a right-click function in the
address book that copies the full name and address, fully formatted,
into the clipboard, which can then easily be inserted into a word
processing document or envelope printer software.