Re: Opinions of Lightbeam

WaltS48
On 10/26/2013 09:01 AM, WaltS wrote:

> On 10/25/2013 09:09 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> Trying it in Firefox 25.0b11 and contributing data. Still a lot to learn
>>> on how it works.
>>>
>>> I disabled ABP everywhere so I will probably connect to more third party
>>> sites than if it was enabled. I'll have to experiment.
>>>
>>> But so far today I have visited 37 sites, and connected to 303 third
>>> party sites.
>>>
>>> One visited site connected to 68 third party sites.
>>>
>>> One third party site connected to 25 other sites.
>>>
>>> You can use a graph view, clock view or list view. I use list.
>>>
>>> Here is the Mozilla blog post about it.
>>>
>>> <https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2013/10/25/lightbeam-for-firefox-privacy-education-for-users-open-data-for-publishers/>
>>>

>> I rather like the graphical view as it makes obvious the connections
>> between websites.  These can be quite interesting.
>>

> Switched to graphical view today with ABP enabled everywhere.
>
> It is pretty cool to load a site, switch to the Lightbeam tab and watch
> the connections load.
>
> Clicking on a node opens a sidebar with more information.
>
> Since this is opinions, and not Firefox support.
>
> Followup set to m.general

Finally finished my normal Saturday routine with a couple of added
visited sites. Reset Lightbeam before starting today.

With ABP enabled I visited 45 sites and connected to only 160 third
party sites.

Significantly done for the 68 sites connected by one site yesterday. The
max was 23 today.

The next experiment is to see what my financial, and health care sites show.

Re: Opinions of Lightbeam

WaltS48
On 10/26/2013 11:03 AM, WaltS wrote:

> On 10/26/2013 09:01 AM, WaltS wrote:

>>> I rather like the graphical view as it makes obvious the connections
>>> between websites.  These can be quite interesting.
>>>

>> Switched to graphical view today with ABP enabled everywhere.
>>
>> It is pretty cool to load a site, switch to the Lightbeam tab and watch
>> the connections load.
>>
>> Clicking on a node opens a sidebar with more information.
>>
>> Since this is opinions, and not Firefox support.
>>
>> Followup set to m.general
>

> Finally finished my normal Saturday routine with a couple of added
> visited sites. Reset Lightbeam before starting today.
>
> With ABP enabled I visited 45 sites and connected to only 160 third
> party sites.
>
> Significantly done for the 68 sites connected by one site yesterday. The
> max was 23 today.
>
> The next experiment is to see what my financial, and health care sites
> show.

s/done/down

Re: Opinions of Lightbeam

Ant-21
On 10/26/2013 6:01 AM PT, WaltS typed:
 > Switched to graphical view today with ABP enabled everywhere.
>
> It is pretty cool to load a site, switch to the Lightbeam tab and watch
> the connections load.
>
> Clicking on a node opens a sidebar with more information.
>
> Since this is opinions, and not Firefox support.

Did ABP block a lot from your side?
--
Rest in peace (RIP) to the final/last grand(king/male delate). He is
with Lord now. :~(

Re: Opinions of Lightbeam

Ron Hunter
On 10/26/2013 1:53 PM, Ant wrote:

> On 10/26/2013 6:01 AM PT, WaltS typed:
>  > Switched to graphical view today with ABP enabled everywhere.
>>
>> It is pretty cool to load a site, switch to the Lightbeam tab and watch
>> the connections load.
>>
>> Clicking on a node opens a sidebar with more information.
>>
>> Since this is opinions, and not Firefox support.
>
> Did ABP block a lot from your side?

I don't know here, as I don't use the internet without it.

Re: Opinions of Lightbeam

WaltS48
On 10/26/2013 02:53 PM, Ant wrote:

> On 10/26/2013 6:01 AM PT, WaltS typed:
>  > Switched to graphical view today with ABP enabled everywhere.
>>
>> It is pretty cool to load a site, switch to the Lightbeam tab and watch
>> the connections load.
>>
>> Clicking on a node opens a sidebar with more information.
>>
>> Since this is opinions, and not Firefox support.
>
> Did ABP block a lot from your side?

Yes.

Re: Opinions of Lightbeam

WaltS48
On 10/26/2013 03:52 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 10/26/2013 1:53 PM, Ant wrote:
>> On 10/26/2013 6:01 AM PT, WaltS typed:
>>  > Switched to graphical view today with ABP enabled everywhere.
>>>
>>> It is pretty cool to load a site, switch to the Lightbeam tab and watch
>>> the connections load.
>>>
>>> Clicking on a node opens a sidebar with more information.
>>>
>>> Since this is opinions, and not Firefox support.
>>
>> Did ABP block a lot from your side?
>
> I don't know here, as I don't use the internet without it.

Hey with Lightbeam running in a tab I finally get to use "Close tabs to
the right", once I get it as the first tab, and the sites I'm browsing
starting in the second tab. :)

Re: Opinions of Lightbeam

Ron Hunter
On 10/27/2013 7:08 AM, WaltS wrote:

> On 10/26/2013 02:53 PM, Ant wrote:
>> On 10/26/2013 6:01 AM PT, WaltS typed:
>>  > Switched to graphical view today with ABP enabled everywhere.
>>>
>>> It is pretty cool to load a site, switch to the Lightbeam tab and watch
>>> the connections load.
>>>
>>> Clicking on a node opens a sidebar with more information.
>>>
>>> Since this is opinions, and not Firefox support.
>>
>> Did ABP block a lot from your side?
>

> Yes.
Can ABP block those annoying scripts that darken my screen, and put a
dialog over the middle of my screen?  I really HATE those things.

Re: Opinions of Lightbeam

WaltS48
On 10/27/2013 09:24 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 10/27/2013 7:08 AM, WaltS wrote:
>> On 10/26/2013 02:53 PM, Ant wrote:
>>> On 10/26/2013 6:01 AM PT, WaltS typed:
>>>  > Switched to graphical view today with ABP enabled everywhere.

>>> Did ABP block a lot from your side?
>>

>> Yes.
> Can ABP block those annoying scripts that darken my screen, and put a
> dialog over the middle of my screen?  I really HATE those things.

I thought you said you don't surf without it?

Most of them. Are they ads?

Re: Opinions of Lightbeam

jetjock
Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 10/27/2013 7:08 AM, WaltS wrote:
>
>> On 10/26/2013 02:53 PM, Ant wrote:
>>
>>> On 10/26/2013 6:01 AM PT, WaltS typed:
>>>  > Switched to graphical view today with ABP enabled everywhere.

>>> Did ABP block a lot from your side?
>>

>> Yes.
>
> Can ABP block those annoying scripts that darken my screen, and put a
> dialog over the middle of my screen?  I really HATE those things.

Try ctrl+shift+f3 and move the mouse around the dialog area. Look for a
red border around the stuff you want blocked, click on it and add an
element hiding rule.

---

Re: Opinions of Lightbeam

Beauregard T. Shagnasty
jetjock wrote:

> ---
> protection is active.

Please fix your anti-virus program and tell it not to place this spam in
your posts. Probably in your emails as well. First, it has a broken
signature delimiter; and second, it is not necessary to scan email and
news posts, either incoming or outgoing. See:

<http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm>

--
   -bts

Re: Opinions of Lightbeam

rebro
Am 27.10.2013 16:51, schrieb jetjock:

> ---
> protection is active.

A week ago I had to cope with the same surprise addition to my outgoing
mails and posts.
To avoid this spam go to avastUI > Settings > Active Protection > Mail
Shield > Settings (cog iconl) > Behavior  - General section > Uncheck
"Insert note into clean message (outgoing)"

Re: Opinions of Lightbeam

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Ron Hunter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can ABP block those annoying scripts that darken my screen, and put a
> dialog over the middle of my screen?  I really HATE those things.

Mostly yes, because it can block any given JavaScript file.   Some site
will not let you see any content before that JavaScript has been
allowed to run, though.

Re: Opinions of Lightbeam

Ron Hunter
On 10/27/2013 8:36 AM, WaltS wrote:

> On 10/27/2013 09:24 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> Yes.
>> Can ABP block those annoying scripts that darken my screen, and put a
>> dialog over the middle of my screen?  I really HATE those things.
>>

> I thought you said you don't surf without it?
>
> Most of them. Are they ads?

They are usually just annoying things they pop up to try to get you to
go somewhere.  I really hate them.

Re: Opinions of Lightbeam

Ron Hunter
On 10/27/2013 10:51 AM, jetjock wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> Yes.
>>
>> Can ABP block those annoying scripts that darken my screen, and put a
>> dialog over the middle of my screen?  I really HATE those things.
>>
> Try ctrl+shift+f3 and move the mouse around the dialog area. Look for a
> red border around the stuff you want blocked, click on it and add an
> element hiding rule.
>
> ---
> protection is active.

Trouble is that works only partially, and ONLY for that single website.

Re: Opinions of Lightbeam

Ron Hunter
On 10/27/2013 5:41 PM, »Q« wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Ron Hunter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Can ABP block those annoying scripts that darken my screen, and put a
>> dialog over the middle of my screen?  I really HATE those things.
>
> Mostly yes, because it can block any given JavaScript file.   Some site
> will not let you see any content before that JavaScript has been
> allowed to run, though.

These seem to wait about 5-10 seconds so I get into reading something on
the site, then they darken my screen, and throw up this dialog box
bothering me about whatever.  Do they really think this is going to get
a positive response from users?  Does someone get off irritating people
who visit their website?  Amazing what extents people will go to just
annoy, and obstruct, others in their rightful pursuits.

Re: Opinions of Lightbeam

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Ron Hunter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/27/2013 5:41 PM, »Q« wrote:
> > In <news:[hidden email]>,
> > Ron Hunter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Can ABP block those annoying scripts that darken my screen, and
> >> put a dialog over the middle of my screen?  I really HATE those
> >> things.
> >
> > Mostly yes, because it can block any given JavaScript file.   Some
> > site will not let you see any content before that JavaScript has
> > been allowed to run, though.
> >
> These seem to wait about 5-10 seconds so I get into reading something
> on the site, then they darken my screen, and throw up this dialog box
> bothering me about whatever.  Do they really think this is going to
> get a positive response from users?  Does someone get off irritating
> people who visit their website?  Amazing what extents people will go
> to just annoy, and obstruct, others in their rightful pursuits.

They don't need a positive response from users about it.  Page views
from irritated users are just as good as page views from happy ones.
If >99% of the users are annoyed but <1% click through to the
"whatever", they're better off than if 0% were annoyed and 0% clicked.

If the annoyance actually cost them eyeballs in significant numbers,
we'd see the practice being abandoned.  As it is, ISTM the practice is
growing by leaps and bounds, so it must not be hurting them.

> Amazing what extents people will go to just annoy, and obstruct,
> others in their rightful pursuits.

If they've created and/or contracted for the content, don't they have
the right to require whatever they see fit in order to let you consume
it?  If their terms don't suit you, you can stop getting content from
them.

Re: Opinions of Lightbeam

Ron Hunter
On 10/27/2013 8:29 PM, »Q« wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Ron Hunter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 10/27/2013 5:41 PM, »Q« wrote:

>>> Mostly yes, because it can block any given JavaScript file.   Some
>>> site will not let you see any content before that JavaScript has
>>> been allowed to run, though.
>>>
>> These seem to wait about 5-10 seconds so I get into reading something
>> on the site, then they darken my screen, and throw up this dialog box
>> bothering me about whatever.  Do they really think this is going to
>> get a positive response from users?  Does someone get off irritating
>> people who visit their website?  Amazing what extents people will go
>> to just annoy, and obstruct, others in their rightful pursuits.
>
> They don't need a positive response from users about it.  Page views
> from irritated users are just as good as page views from happy ones.
> If >99% of the users are annoyed but <1% click through to the
> "whatever", they're better off than if 0% were annoyed and 0% clicked.
>
> If the annoyance actually cost them eyeballs in significant numbers,
> we'd see the practice being abandoned.  As it is, ISTM the practice is
> growing by leaps and bounds, so it must not be hurting them.
>
>> Amazing what extents people will go to just annoy, and obstruct,
>> others in their rightful pursuits.
>
> If they've created and/or contracted for the content, don't they have
> the right to require whatever they see fit in order to let you consume
> it?  If their terms don't suit you, you can stop getting content from
> them.

Which I do, if this happens too often.  I have a rather low thresh hold
of annoyance with some website practices, which is why ABP exists!

Re: Opinions of Lightbeam

jetjock
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

>jetjock wrote:
>

>>---
>>This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus
>>protection is active.
>>

>Please fix your anti-virus program and tell it not to place this spam in
>your posts. Probably in your emails as well. First, it has a broken
>signature delimiter; and second, it is not necessary to scan email and
>news posts, either incoming or outgoing. See:
>
><http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm>

Thanks for baby sitting me. Since I don't post very much, the message to
which you refer is the first I have sent since upgrading to Avast 2014.
Before reading your post I had spent about 10 minutes checking my
settings to see what was wrong with my signature and why Avast had
replaced it with it's own. Since none of my previous posts had this
problem, something in 2014 has mucked things up. I'll jump right on
getting it fixed so as not to offend you any further. If my sig is
messed up on this post, I obviously didn't get it fixed!

Re: Opinions of Lightbeam

jetjock
rebro wrote:

> Am 27.10.2013 16:51, schrieb jetjock:
>
>> ---
>> protection is active.
>>
> A week ago I had to cope with the same surprise addition to my
> outgoing mails and posts.
> To avoid this spam go to avastUI > Settings > Active Protection > Mail
> Shield > Settings (cog iconl) > Behavior  - General section > Uncheck
> "Insert note into clean message (outgoing)"

Many thanks for the good info. Just made your suggested change. Hope it
works!  :-)

Re: Opinions of Lightbeam

jetjock
Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 10/27/2013 10:51 AM, jetjock wrote:
>
>> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> Can ABP block those annoying scripts that darken my screen, and put a
>>> dialog over the middle of my screen?  I really HATE those things.
>>>
>> Try ctrl+shift+f3 and move the mouse around the dialog area. Look for a
>> red border around the stuff you want blocked, click on it and add an
>> element hiding rule.
>>
>> ---
>> protection is active.
>>
> Trouble is that works only partially, and ONLY for that single website.

Not necessarily. There is an option to add the rule for "Any domain (not
recommended)" or all .com domains as well as just the domain you are on.