Re: OT: Thunderbirds are go commercial

Moz Champion (Dan)
Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was 5/13/2008 3:58 PM, and on a whim, Moz Champion
> (Dan) pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> Andreas M wrote:
>>> On 08.05.2008 15:43 Herb wrote

>>> Why should such things happen? I liked the link to the clip. It's not
>>> spam.
>>>

>> This group is monitored, and the monitor can decide which posts (and
>> content) are 'allowed' within the group. Currently, the acid test
>> seems to be some sort of 'testing' for the file/multimedia
>>
>> It has occurred within the relatively recent past, one person was
>> 'banned'. You would not see any remenants of it, nor evidence, as the
>> banning results in a complete removal of said post.
>>
>> There was much discussion regarding this matter in this (and other)
>> newsgroups. The outcome of it was that the 'monitor's' decision was
>> upheld by the powers that be.  I have yet to fathom the distinction
>> between one post and another with regards to 'testing' myself, but
>> then I am not the monitor and have no say in the matter.
>
> While not "banned", a poster was removed even from this thread. Was it
> any more OT than any other post?
>
> follow-up set to mozilla.general

Again, I am not the monitor so I cannot say.

Whose post was removed? The last time someone claimed such it was an
anomaly within his specific TB, the post was still here, others could
see it, he could not. He thought his post had been removed, it hadn't been.

So, to prevent another round of 'false' accusations, which post (whose)
are you claiming was removed?

I see posts from Herb, Peter (who WAS banned in
mozilla.thunderbird.multimedia), Herb, Andreas, myself and  Terry.  As
this thread is in mozilla.support.thunderbird I don't know if the 'ban'
applies here or not (I suspect it doesn't) - I can still see Peter's
post here.

Re: OT: Thunderbirds are go commercial

»Q«
"Moz Champion (Dan)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Terry R. wrote:
>
> > While not "banned", a poster was removed even from this thread. Was
> > it any more OT than any other post?
> >
> > follow-up set to mozilla.general
>
> Again, I am not the monitor so I cannot say.

Removal of OT posts doesn't depend on a post being "more OT" or "less
OT" than another post.  As the policy makes clear, once someone has
gotten to the point where his posts can be removed, any OT post from
him will be cancelled.

<http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html>

> I see posts from Herb, Peter (who WAS banned in
> mozilla.thunderbird.multimedia), Herb, Andreas, myself and  Terry.
> As this thread is in mozilla.support.thunderbird I don't know if the
> 'ban' applies here or not (I suspect it doesn't) - I can still see
> Peter's post here.

Peter's ban from the mozilla.test.multimedia only applies to that
group, not any others.  There was a post in this thread removed, but
not his.

Re: OT: Thunderbirds are go commercial

JoeS-3
»Q« wrote:

> "Moz Champion (Dan)"<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>
>>> While not "banned", a poster was removed even from this thread. Was
>>> it any more OT than any other post?
>>>
>>> follow-up set to mozilla.general
>> Again, I am not the monitor so I cannot say.
>
> Removal of OT posts doesn't depend on a post being "more OT" or "less
> OT" than another post.  As the policy makes clear, once someone has
> gotten to the point where his posts can be removed, any OT post from
> him will be cancelled.
>
> <http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html>
>
>> I see posts from Herb, Peter (who WAS banned in
>> mozilla.thunderbird.multimedia), Herb, Andreas, myself and  Terry.
>> As this thread is in mozilla.support.thunderbird I don't know if the
>> 'ban' applies here or not (I suspect it doesn't) - I can still see
>> Peter's post here.
>
> Peter's ban from the mozilla.test.multimedia only applies to that
> group, not any others.  There was a post in this thread removed, but
> not his.

I'm wondering if the removal caused the thread to disappear in google groups. (can't find it there)
Or perhaps the OT: prefix in the subject ? I don't see the x-noarchive header, or whatever the correct expression is.

--
JoeS

Re: OT: Thunderbirds are go commercial

Terry R.
The date and time was 5/13/2008 4:39 PM, and on a whim, Moz Champion
(Dan) pounded out on the keyboard:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was 5/13/2008 3:58 PM, and on a whim, Moz Champion
>> (Dan) pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> This group is monitored, and the monitor can decide which posts (and
>>> content) are 'allowed' within the group. Currently, the acid test
>>> seems to be some sort of 'testing' for the file/multimedia
>>>
>>> It has occurred within the relatively recent past, one person was
>>> 'banned'. You would not see any remenants of it, nor evidence, as the
>>> banning results in a complete removal of said post.
>>>
>>> There was much discussion regarding this matter in this (and other)
>>> newsgroups. The outcome of it was that the 'monitor's' decision was
>>> upheld by the powers that be.  I have yet to fathom the distinction
>>> between one post and another with regards to 'testing' myself, but
>>> then I am not the monitor and have no say in the matter.
>> While not "banned", a poster was removed even from this thread. Was it
>> any more OT than any other post?
>>
>> follow-up set to mozilla.general
>>

> Again, I am not the monitor so I cannot say.
>
> Whose post was removed? The last time someone claimed such it was an
> anomaly within his specific TB, the post was still here, others could
> see it, he could not. He thought his post had been removed, it hadn't been.
>
> So, to prevent another round of 'false' accusations, which post (whose)
> are you claiming was removed?
>

> I see posts from Herb, Peter (who WAS banned in
> mozilla.thunderbird.multimedia), Herb, Andreas, myself and  Terry.  As
> this thread is in mozilla.support.thunderbird I don't know if the 'ban'
> applies here or not (I suspect it doesn't) - I can still see Peter's
> post here.

Reg had a post removed. If you look at PTH, Herb & Andreas, you can see
his post. I have it in my list but the post is gone.

--
Terry R.

Re: OT: Thunderbirds are go commercial

Terry R.
The date and time was 5/13/2008 5:41 PM, and on a whim, »Q« pounded out
on the keyboard:

> "Moz Champion (Dan)" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>
>>> While not "banned", a poster was removed even from this thread. Was
>>> it any more OT than any other post?
>>>
>>> follow-up set to mozilla.general
>> Again, I am not the monitor so I cannot say.
>
> Removal of OT posts doesn't depend on a post being "more OT" or "less
> OT" than another post.  As the policy makes clear, once someone has
> gotten to the point where his posts can be removed, any OT post from
> him will be cancelled.

That's as clear as mud.  "gotten to the point" is about as arbitrary as
it gets.  So who thought Reg had "gotten to the point"?  You? Chris?
Nir?  You guys have "gotten to the point" in a lot of our minds.

--
Terry R.

Re: OT: Thunderbirds are go commercial

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
"Terry R." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The date and time was 5/13/2008 5:41 PM, and on a whim, »Q« pounded
> out on the keyboard:

> >> Again, I am not the monitor so I cannot say.
> >
> > Removal of OT posts doesn't depend on a post being "more OT" or
> > "less OT" than another post.  As the policy makes clear, once
> > someone has gotten to the point where his posts can be removed, any
> > OT post from him will be cancelled.
>
> That's as clear as mud.  "gotten to the point" is about as arbitrary
> as it gets.

How one gets to that point is laid out clearly at the link you snipped,
<<http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html>.

If by "arbitrary", you mean "decided by arbiters", I agree with you.
If you mean its more common sense of "capricious or unreasonable", then
no.

> So who thought Reg had "gotten to the point"?  You?  Chris? Nir?

Nir and Chris were making those calls at the time.  I joined the team a
bit later.

--
»Q«
     Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.

JoeS <[hidden email]> wrote:

> »Q« wrote:

> >There was a post in this thread removed, but not his.
>
> I'm wondering if the removal caused the thread to disappear in google
> groups. (can't find it there) Or perhaps the OT: prefix in the
> subject ? I don't see the x-noarchive header, or whatever the correct
> expression is.

I think no posts are making it from n.m.o to Google for a while now,
because of <http://mozillanews.org/bugzilla_warning.php3?id=425122>.

»Q« wrote:

> In<news:[hidden email]>,
> JoeS<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> »Q« wrote:
>
>>> There was a post in this thread removed, but not his.
>> I'm wondering if the removal caused the thread to disappear in google
>> groups. (can't find it there) Or perhaps the OT: prefix in the
>> subject ? I don't see the x-noarchive header, or whatever the correct
>> expression is.
>
> I think no posts are making it from n.m.o to Google for a while now,
> because of<http://mozillanews.org/bugzilla_warning.php3?id=425122>.

Thanks for the Bug link.
Well it seems some posts are archived, some not.
If Newsgroups links worked properly, this would not be such a PIA

Re: OT: Thunderbirds are go commercial

Chris Ilias-2
On 5/13/08 7:39 PM, _Moz Champion (Dan)_ spoke thusly:
> Again, I am not the monitor so I cannot say.

<snip>

> So, to prevent another round of 'false' accusations, which post (whose)
> are you claiming was removed?

Dan, I think it's best that you don't answer policy questions, unless
you're absolutely sure that your info is correct (i.e. have links to
back it up). What you posted in reply to Andreas is your own
misconception about MTMM policy, not the support newsgroups.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

Re: OT: Thunderbirds are go commercial

Chris Ilias-2
On 5/14/08 12:10 AM, _JoeS_ spoke thusly:

> »Q« wrote:
>> In<news:[hidden email]>,
>> JoeS<[hidden email]>  wrote:

>>> I'm wondering if the removal caused the thread to disappear in google
>>> groups. (can't find it there) Or perhaps the OT: prefix in the
>>> subject ? I don't see the x-noarchive header, or whatever the correct
>>> expression is.
>>
>> I think no posts are making it from n.m.o to Google for a while now,
>> because of<http://mozillanews.org/bugzilla_warning.php3?id=425122>.
>>
> Thanks for the Bug link.
> Well it seems some posts are archived, some not.
> If Newsgroups links worked properly, this would not be such a PIA

Only posts coming via Google or the mailing list are currently being
archived. It's not intentional. :-)

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was 5/13/2008 4:39 PM, and on a whim, Moz Champion
> (Dan) pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>> The date and time was 5/13/2008 3:58 PM, and on a whim, Moz Champion
>>> (Dan) pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> While not "banned", a poster was removed even from this thread. Was
>>> it any more OT than any other post?
>>>
>>> follow-up set to mozilla.general
>>>

>> Again, I am not the monitor so I cannot say.
>>
>> Whose post was removed? The last time someone claimed such it was an
>> anomaly within his specific TB, the post was still here, others could
>> see it, he could not. He thought his post had been removed, it hadn't
>> been.
>>
>> So, to prevent another round of 'false' accusations, which post
>> (whose) are you claiming was removed?
>>

>> I see posts from Herb, Peter (who WAS banned in
>> mozilla.thunderbird.multimedia), Herb, Andreas, myself and  Terry.  As
>> this thread is in mozilla.support.thunderbird I don't know if the
>> 'ban' applies here or not (I suspect it doesn't) - I can still see
>> Peter's post here.
>
> Reg had a post removed. If you look at PTH, Herb & Andreas, you can see
> his post. I have it in my list but the post is gone.

As a monitor made clear, posts can be removed for being off topic. Thems
the rulz. Agreement or non-agreement with the rulz makes no difference,
they ARE the rulz. While I don't neccessarily agree with the rulz or
their enforcement, no-one is asking me <grin>

Whether or not I agree that the speed limit on an Interstate in the dead
of night with no traffic is 'right', I can still be ticketed/arrestted
for breaking it.

Whether or not I agree that smoking marijuana is a crime or not, I can
still be arressted for doing it.

Whether or not I think I am using 'free speech', I can still be removed
from a church for using profane language. Rulz is rulz, unspoken or not,
it is polite and benificial to follow them lest our society devolve into
total anarchy.

Chris Ilias wrote:

> On 5/13/08 6:58 PM, _Moz Champion (Dan)_ spoke thusly:
>> This group is monitored, and the monitor can decide which posts (and
>> content) are 'allowed' within the group. Currently, the acid test
>> seems to be some sort of 'testing' for the file/multimedia
>>
>> It has occurred within the relatively recent past, one person was
>> 'banned'. You would not see any remenants of it, nor evidence, as the
>> banning results in a complete removal of said post.
>>
>> There was much discussion regarding this matter in this (and other)
>> newsgroups. The outcome of it was that the 'monitor's' decision was
>> upheld by the powers that be.  I have yet to fathom the distinction
>> between one post and another with regards to 'testing' myself, but
>> then I am not the monitor and have no say in the matter.
>
> There are two people banned from this group: Garth and
> [hidden email]. Neither of which posted in this thread.
>
> Reg's post was removed, because he has ignored requests to stop posting
> so many OT messages, as per the policy at
> <http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html>.

Yep, one of the other monitors clued me in to the situation in this
thread. Thanks anyway

Thems the rulz, play by the rulz or go someplace else.

Chris Ilias wrote:

> On 5/13/08 7:39 PM, _Moz Champion (Dan)_ spoke thusly:
>> Again, I am not the monitor so I cannot say.
>>
> <snip>
>>
>> So, to prevent another round of 'false' accusations, which post
>> (whose) are you claiming was removed?
>
> Dan, I think it's best that you don't answer policy questions, unless
> you're absolutely sure that your info is correct (i.e. have links to
> back it up). What you posted in reply to Andreas is your own
> misconception about MTMM policy, not the support newsgroups.

I gave the best answer I could with my knowledge of the situation. That
I was in error I admitted when corrected.

Whatcha' going to do, ban me/ remove my posts for posting incorrect
information now?

So, I was wrong. I admit I was, why are you making such a big deal of
it? It occurs to me that you have allowed what authority you have to get
the better of you, we had two words for that in the military, power
tripping.

If you don't want misinformation on policy, then POST the specific
details of the policy with links!

Re: OT: Thunderbirds are go commercial

Ken Whiton
*-* On Tue, 13 May 2008, at 20:54:39 -0400,
*-* In Article [hidden email],
*-* JoeS wrote
*-* About Re: OT: Thunderbirds are go commercial

> »Q« wrote:

           [ ... ]

>> Peter's ban from the mozilla.test.multimedia only applies to that
>> group, not any others.  There was a post in this thread removed,
>> but not his.

> I'm wondering if the removal caused the thread to disappear in
> google groups. (can't find it there)

      No, that's not the reason.

> Or perhaps the OT: prefix in the subject ? I don't see the
> x-noarchive header, or whatever the correct expression is.

      Those aren't the reason either.  For about the past month and a
half, posts made to this server haven't been archived on Google.  It's
a side-effect of measures that have been taken to keep spam posted to
Google from showing up on this server, as explained by Chris in a post
in late March.

*-* On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, at 12:58:25 -0400,
*-* In Article [hidden email],
*-* Chris Ilias wrote
*-* About Re: And The Spam Continues Unabated

> Right now, no-one should be seeing spam in mozilla.support.firefox,
> mozilla.support.thunderbird, or mozilla.support.seamonkey, since
> early March 27 EST. We've got posts coming via Google going through
> the mailing list moderation system; however it is currently causing
> a problem with the groups being archived.

> So, it's still being worked on. But for now, spam in those groups is
> being blocked.

                                         Ken Whiton

     FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: [hidden email] (remove the obvious to reply)

Re: OT: Thunderbirds are go commercial

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

> Chris Ilias wrote:
>> On 5/13/08 7:39 PM, _Moz Champion (Dan)_ spoke thusly:
>>> Again, I am not the monitor so I cannot say.
>>>
>> <snip>
>>> So, to prevent another round of 'false' accusations, which post
>>> (whose) are you claiming was removed?
>> Dan, I think it's best that you don't answer policy questions, unless
>> you're absolutely sure that your info is correct (i.e. have links to
>> back it up). What you posted in reply to Andreas is your own
>> misconception about MTMM policy, not the support newsgroups.
>>

> I gave the best answer I could with my knowledge of the situation. That
> I was in error I admitted when corrected.
>
> Whatcha' going to do, ban me/ remove my posts for posting incorrect
> information now?
>
> So, I was wrong. I admit I was, why are you making such a big deal of
> it? It occurs to me that you have allowed what authority you have to get
> the better of you, we had two words for that in the military, power
> tripping.
>
> If you don't want misinformation on policy, then POST the specific
> details of the policy with links!

the Mozilla Bully Strikes again!!!!

help!!!! Emails to me may become public

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: OT: Thunderbirds are go commercial

Wilf-6
Chris Ilias wrote, on 14/05/2008 4:46 am:

> There are two people banned from this group: Garth and
> [hidden email]. Neither of which posted in this thread.

Are they "un-people" now  ;-)

--
Wilf

Re: OT: Thunderbirds are go commercial

Jay Garcia

Re: OT: Thunderbirds are go commercial

Terry R.
The date and time was 5/13/2008 7:21 PM, and on a whim, »Q« pounded out
on the keyboard:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> "Terry R." <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The date and time was 5/13/2008 5:41 PM, and on a whim, »Q« pounded
>> out on the keyboard:

>>> Removal of OT posts doesn't depend on a post being "more OT" or
>>> "less OT" than another post.  As the policy makes clear, once
>>> someone has gotten to the point where his posts can be removed, any
>>> OT post from him will be cancelled.
>> That's as clear as mud.  "gotten to the point" is about as arbitrary
>> as it gets.
>
> How one gets to that point is laid out clearly at the link you snipped,
> <<http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html>.
>
> If by "arbitrary", you mean "decided by arbiters", I agree with you.
> If you mean its more common sense of "capricious or unreasonable", then
> no.
>
>> So who thought Reg had "gotten to the point"?  You?  Chris? Nir?
>
> Nir and Chris were making those calls at the time.  I joined the team a
> bit later.

His post was removed just a couple days ago.  You "joined" the team
quite a long time ago.

--
Terry R.

Re: OT: Thunderbirds are go commercial

Terry R.
The date and time was 5/13/2008 9:35 PM, and on a whim, Moz Champion
(Dan) pounded out on the keyboard:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was 5/13/2008 4:39 PM, and on a whim, Moz Champion
>> (Dan) pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Again, I am not the monitor so I cannot say.
>>>
>>> Whose post was removed? The last time someone claimed such it was an
>>> anomaly within his specific TB, the post was still here, others could
>>> see it, he could not. He thought his post had been removed, it hadn't
>>> been.
>>>
>>> So, to prevent another round of 'false' accusations, which post
>>> (whose) are you claiming was removed?
>>>

>>> I see posts from Herb, Peter (who WAS banned in
>>> mozilla.thunderbird.multimedia), Herb, Andreas, myself and  Terry.  As
>>> this thread is in mozilla.support.thunderbird I don't know if the
>>> 'ban' applies here or not (I suspect it doesn't) - I can still see
>>> Peter's post here.
>> Reg had a post removed. If you look at PTH, Herb & Andreas, you can see
>> his post. I have it in my list but the post is gone.
>>

> As a monitor made clear, posts can be removed for being off topic. Thems
> the rulz. Agreement or non-agreement with the rulz makes no difference,
> they ARE the rulz. While I don't neccessarily agree with the rulz or
> their enforcement, no-one is asking me <grin>
>
> Whether or not I agree that the speed limit on an Interstate in the dead
> of night with no traffic is 'right', I can still be ticketed/arrestted
> for breaking it.
>
> Whether or not I agree that smoking marijuana is a crime or not, I can
> still be arressted for doing it.
>
> Whether or not I think I am using 'free speech', I can still be removed
> from a church for using profane language. Rulz is rulz, unspoken or not,
> it is polite and benificial to follow them lest our society devolve into
> total anarchy.

You asked me to validate my "claim", and that's what I did.  No need to
go rambling about speeding, smoking pot, or free speech!  And
unfortunately, the examples you gave are CLEAR.  If the speed limit is
65 MPH and you drive 66 MPH, you are breaking the law, and when you get
caught, it is EXPLAINED to you what you did wrong.

Here, things just disappear.  Bits and bytes vanishing.  It is a poor
way to "monitor" a group IMO.

--
Terry R.

Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was 5/13/2008 9:35 PM, and on a whim, Moz Champion
> (Dan) pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>> The date and time was 5/13/2008 4:39 PM, and on a whim, Moz Champion
>>> (Dan) pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Reg had a post removed. If you look at PTH, Herb & Andreas, you can
>>> see his post. I have it in my list but the post is gone.
>>>

>> As a monitor made clear, posts can be removed for being off topic.
>> Thems the rulz. Agreement or non-agreement with the rulz makes no
>> difference, they ARE the rulz. While I don't neccessarily agree with
>> the rulz or their enforcement, no-one is asking me <grin>
>>
>> Whether or not I agree that the speed limit on an Interstate in the
>> dead of night with no traffic is 'right', I can still be
>> ticketed/arrestted for breaking it.
>>
>> Whether or not I agree that smoking marijuana is a crime or not, I can
>> still be arressted for doing it.
>>
>> Whether or not I think I am using 'free speech', I can still be
>> removed from a church for using profane language. Rulz is rulz,
>> unspoken or not, it is polite and benificial to follow them lest our
>> society devolve into total anarchy.
>
> You asked me to validate my "claim", and that's what I did.  No need to
> go rambling about speeding, smoking pot, or free speech!  And
> unfortunately, the examples you gave are CLEAR.  If the speed limit is
> 65 MPH and you drive 66 MPH, you are breaking the law, and when you get
> caught, it is EXPLAINED to you what you did wrong.
>
> Here, things just disappear.  Bits and bytes vanishing.  It is a poor
> way to "monitor" a group IMO.

Poor or not, it seems that's the way it is done around here.