Re: OT - I suspected they did this....

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
DoctorBill wrote:

> I wondered if ISP's screw around with their customers like these
> articles say.
>
> I thought it was just heavy traffic on the Internet, but now it looks
> like we are all equal - but some of us are more equal than others....
>
> Whatever you think of peer-to-peer sharing, is this not vigilante
> behavior...?
>
> http://www.dailytech.com/Comcast+Screws+with+FileSharing+Traffic/article9337.htm
>
> http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/10/comcast_blocking.html
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1573
>
> Is this legal?  Ethical?  Moral?   Constitutional?
>
> Where is the ACLU ?
>
> DoctorBill

they say:

QUOTE
"Comcast does not block access to any Websites or online ,
including peer-to-peer services like BitTorrent," a Comcast
spokeswoman said. "We have a responsibility to provide all
of our customers with a good Internet experience and we use
the latest technologies to manage ournetwork so that they
can continue to enjoy these applications."
UNQUOTE

in otherwords, what they say, and what they do are two
different things.  Or, one hand doesn't know what the other
is doing.

This might explain why my download connections on Rapidshare
are so slow.

FU set to mozilla.general

disregarded!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: OT - I suspected they did this....

lon-5
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> DoctorBill wrote:
>> I wondered if ISP's screw around with their customers like these
>> articles say.
>>
>> I thought it was just heavy traffic on the Internet, but now it looks
>> like we are all equal - but some of us are more equal than others....
>>
>> Whatever you think of peer-to-peer sharing, is this not vigilante
>> behavior...?
>>
>> http://www.dailytech.com/Comcast+Screws+with+FileSharing+Traffic/article9337.htm
>>

>> http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/10/comcast_blocking.html
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1573
>>
>> Is this legal?  Ethical?  Moral?   Constitutional?
>>
>> Where is the ACLU ?
>>
>> DoctorBill
>>

> they say:
>
> QUOTE
> "Comcast does not block access to any Websites or online , including
> peer-to-peer services like BitTorrent," a Comcast spokeswoman said. "We
> have a responsibility to provide all of our customers with a good
> Internet experience and we use the latest technologies to manage
> ournetwork so that they can continue to enjoy these applications."
> UNQUOTE
>
> in otherwords, what they say, and what they do are two different
> things.  Or, one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.
>
> This might explain why my download connections on Rapidshare are so slow.
>
> FU set to mozilla.general

The claim I saw was a tech article that they QoS your upload side upon
detecting that you are sharing out files from your computer.

Re: OT - I suspected they did this....

Tom Liotta-2
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> in otherwords, what they say, and what they do are two different
> things.  Or, one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

Many ISPs, especially large ones, don't know what their multiple
hands are doing.

I registered with Earthlink years ago to be notified when their DSL
service would be available at my address. Eventually, DSL became
available through our local telco and we had it installed/activated.
My wife primarily used that account, but I kept my Earthlink account
because of a web-site I had and other reasons.

After a couple years went by, I called Earthlink to see if they
simply weren't sending notices any more when DSL came available. I
was told that they didn't offer DSL in my neighborhood because DSL
service wasn't available. They said that they offered broadband
through Comcast cable (to my neighborhood) instead.

I told the Earthlink service person on the phone that (a) I had had
DSL service for a couple years so it wasn't true that DSL wasn't
available and (b) Comcast cable was not yet available to my
neighborhood at all.

The service person told me that I'd have to be transferred to their
network group to get detailed explanations.

In the meantime, a friend of mine was contracting with AT&T to do
SQL application work for their network people. He'd been involved
closely for a few years and we'd discussed a lot about each other's
work. I started getting a picture of how things come together,
realizing that large ISPs are no different from any other company
that does business scattered all over the country.

They really don't know what their "other hands" are doing. And this
is _especially_ true when there are multiple companies involved. A
network of wires won't necessarily be controlled by the same company
as controls the switches aren't necessarily controlled by the same
company as does the servers aren't necessarily controlled by...

Too many hands. On too many bodies. In too many locations. With
multiple governments. Changing multiple regulations.

Try to get a *real* answer...

--
Tom Liotta