Re: OT - Googling Up to ChiComs

Sailfish
Chris Ilias wrote:
> _Sailfish_ spoke thusly on 02/11/2006 10:52 AM:
>> Hmmm, since Chris hasn't cast his blazingly watchful eye in this
>> direction yet, I'll tempt fate:
>
> Why are you waiting for me? As soon as any thread goes OT, just move it
> to email or mozilla.general.

Testing the edges :-)

--
Mozilla Tips: http://www.ufaq.org/ , http://ilias.ca/
About Mozilla: http://www.mozilla.com/

Re: OT - Googling Up to ChiComs

garth2007
Sailfish wrote:

> Chris Ilias wrote:
>> _Sailfish_ spoke thusly on 02/11/2006 10:52 AM:
>>> Hmmm, since Chris hasn't cast his blazingly watchful eye in this
>>> direction yet, I'll tempt fate:
>>
>> Why are you waiting for me? As soon as any thread goes OT, just move it
>> to email or mozilla.general.
>
> Testing the edges :-)

What is OT?

Re: OT - Googling Up to ChiComs

Sailfish
garth wrote:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> Chris Ilias wrote:
>>> _Sailfish_ spoke thusly on 02/11/2006 10:52 AM:
>>>
>>> Why are you waiting for me? As soon as any thread goes OT, just move it
>>> to email or mozilla.general.
>>
>> Testing the edges :-)
>>
> What is OT?

It's a quasi-convention for prefacing and re-subjecting a thread when it
goes Off-Topic.

Sailfish wrote:

> garth wrote:
>> Sailfish wrote:

>>> Testing the edges :-)
>>>
>> What is OT?
>
> It's a quasi-convention for prefacing and re-subjecting a thread when it
> goes Off-Topic.

Good idea.

Re: OT - Googling Up to ChiComs

Mumia W..-3
On 11/02/2006 09:45 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> garth wrote:
>> Sailfish wrote:

>>> Testing the edges :-)
>>>
>> What is OT?
>
> It's a quasi-convention for prefacing and re-subjecting a thread when it
> goes Off-Topic.

And, actually, the off-topic indicator is [OT] (notice the brackets).

Re: OT - Googling Up to ChiComs

garth2007
Mumia W. (using mozilla) wrote:

> On 11/02/2006 09:45 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> garth wrote:

>>> What is OT?
>>
>> It's a quasi-convention for prefacing and re-subjecting a thread when
>> it goes Off-Topic.
>>

> And, actually, the off-topic indicator is [OT] (notice the brackets).

Can threads be moved can they?

Re: OT - Googling Up to ChiComs

Sailfish
garth wrote:

> Mumia W. (using mozilla) wrote:

>>> It's a quasi-convention for prefacing and re-subjecting a thread when
>>> it goes Off-Topic.
>>>

>> And, actually, the off-topic indicator is [OT] (notice the brackets).
>>

> Can threads be moved can they?

No, but they can be redirected, as Chris had done with this one. You
simply reply to a thread post using a "Followup-To:" newsgroup(s)
reassignment (available through drop-down list above which now has
"Newsgroups:". Once that is posted, then any future replies to that post
on the other newsgroup will automatically be re-directed to the new
newsgroup(s).

--
Mozilla Tips: http://www.ufaq.org/ , http://ilias.ca/
About Mozilla: http://www.mozilla.com/
Mozilla Themes: http://www.projectit.com/freestuff.html

Re: OT - Googling Up to ChiComs

Daniel-24
Andreas wrote:

> Mumia W. (using mozilla) wrote:
>
>> And, actually, the off-topic indicator is [OT] (notice the brackets).
>>

> Actually, thats not official.  That was just one individual's request [I
> believe that was you who suggested it].  Just like it was one person's
> request that everyone hit the return key, or put a space after the
> replied stuff, before creating their message.
>
> Andreas

For what it's worth, Andreas, I tend to agree with you that it is one
persons request to have the brackets (to help with a filter that they
have set up, I think). So much so, that I went looking at sites that
explain what short hands like "OTOH" and "ROFLOL" mean....but have yet
to find "OT' or "[OT]".

Daniel

Re: OT - Googling Up to ChiComs

Sailfish

http://www.answers.com/topic/ot ?

--
Mozilla Tips: http://www.ufaq.org/ , http://ilias.ca/
About Mozilla: http://www.mozilla.com/
Mozilla Themes: http://www.projectit.com/freestuff.html

Re: OT - Googling Up to ChiComs

Ed Mullen

http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?Acronym=ot&Find=find&string=exact

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Re: OT - Googling Up to ChiComs

squaredancer
On 04/11/2006 03:40, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Sailfish to
generate the following:? :

>Daniel wrote:
>

>>Andreas wrote:

>>>Actually, thats not official.  That was just one individual's request
>>>[I believe that was you who suggested it].  Just like it was one
>>>person's request that everyone hit the return key, or put a space
>>>after the replied stuff, before creating their message.
>>>
>>>Andreas
>>>

>>For what it's worth, Andreas, I tend to agree with you that it is one
>>persons request to have the brackets (to help with a filter that they
>>have set up, I think). So much so, that I went looking at sites that
>>explain what short hands like "OTOH" and "ROFLOL" mean....but have yet
>>to find "OT' or "[OT]".
>>

>http://www.answers.com/topic/ot ?

reckon I should add a "british"acronym to that list *lol*

OT = 'orrible time

reg

Re: OT - Googling Up to ChiComs

squaredancer
On 04/11/2006 04:25, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Ed Mullen to
generate the following:? :

>Daniel wrote:
>

>>Andreas wrote:

>>>Actually, thats not official.  That was just one individual's request
>>>[I believe that was you who suggested it].  Just like it was one
>>>person's request that everyone hit the return key, or put a space
>>>after the replied stuff, before creating their message.
>>>
>>>Andreas
>>>

>>For what it's worth, Andreas, I tend to agree with you that it is one
>>persons request to have the brackets (to help with a filter that they
>>have set up, I think). So much so, that I went looking at sites that
>>explain what short hands like "OTOH" and "ROFLOL" mean....but have yet
>>to find "OT' or "[OT]".
>>
>>Daniel
>>

>http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?Acronym=ot&Find=find&string=exact

correct Ed - [ and ] are not allowed so I'm afraid we just
*CAN NOT ACCEPT* Mumia's post
(please see Guidelines below someone's sig) :-)

reg

Re: OT - Googling Up to ChiComs

Daniel-24
squaredancer wrote:

> On 04/11/2006 04:25, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Ed Mullen to
> generate the following:? :
>
>> Daniel wrote:

>>> For what it's worth, Andreas, I tend to agree with you that it is one
>>> persons request to have the brackets (to help with a filter that they
>>> have set up, I think). So much so, that I went looking at sites that
>>> explain what short hands like "OTOH" and "ROFLOL" mean....but have
>>> yet to find "OT' or "[OT]".
>>>
>>> Daniel
>>>

>> http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?Acronym=ot&Find=find&string=exact
>>

> correct Ed - [ and ] are not allowed so I'm afraid we just
> *CAN NOT ACCEPT* Mumia's post
> (please see Guidelines below someone's sig) :-)
>
> reg

Thanks to both Sailfish and Ed, I think Mumia's request might be dead in
the water.

Daniel

Re: OT - Googling Up to ChiComs

Mumia W..-3
On 11/04/2006 05:34 PM, Daniel wrote:

> squaredancer wrote:
>> On 04/11/2006 04:25, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Ed Mullen to
>> generate the following:? :

>>> http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?Acronym=ot&Find=find&string=exact
>>>

>> correct Ed - [ and ] are not allowed so I'm afraid we just
>> *CAN NOT ACCEPT* Mumia's post
>> (please see Guidelines below someone's sig) :-)
>>
>> reg
>
> Thanks to both Sailfish and Ed, I think Mumia's request might be dead in
> the water.
>
> Daniel

Okay, oh well. Some of the OT threads are interesting anyway.

Re: OT - Googling Up to ChiComs

Daniel-24
Mumia W. (using mozilla) wrote:

> On 11/04/2006 05:34 PM, Daniel wrote:
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>> On 04/11/2006 04:25, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Ed Mullen
>>> to generate the following:? :

>>> correct Ed - [ and ] are not allowed so I'm afraid we just
>>> *CAN NOT ACCEPT* Mumia's post
>>> (please see Guidelines below someone's sig) :-)
>>>
>>> reg
>>
>> Thanks to both Sailfish and Ed, I think Mumia's request might be dead
>> in the water.
>>
>> Daniel
>
> Okay, oh well. Some of the OT threads are interesting anyway.

Mumia,
as I understand it, you had your filter set up for [OT] so that it would
not filter out messages that did have "OT" as part of their title. Could
you set your filter up for "OT " or " OT " or similar?

Daniel

Re: OT - Googling Up to ChiComs

Sailfish
Mumia W. (using mozilla) wrote:

> On 11/04/2006 05:34 PM, Daniel wrote:
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>> On 04/11/2006 04:25, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Ed Mullen
>>> to generate the following:? :

>>> correct Ed - [ and ] are not allowed so I'm afraid we just
>>> *CAN NOT ACCEPT* Mumia's post
>>> (please see Guidelines below someone's sig) :-)
>>>
>>> reg
>>
>> Thanks to both Sailfish and Ed, I think Mumia's request might be dead
>> in the water.
>>
>> Daniel
>
> Okay, oh well. Some of the OT threads are interesting anyway.

Well, it coulda been worser, we coulda done old school and prefaced it
with TAN :-)

--
Mozilla Tips: http://www.ufaq.org/ , http://ilias.ca/
About Mozilla: http://www.mozilla.com/
Mozilla Themes: http://www.projectit.com/freestuff.html

Re: OT - Googling Up to ChiComs

squaredancer
On 05/11/2006 09:25, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
generate the following:? :

>Mumia W. (using mozilla) wrote:

>>>Thanks to both Sailfish and Ed, I think Mumia's request might be dead
>>>in the water.
>>>
>>>Daniel
>>>

>>Okay, oh well. Some of the OT threads are interesting anyway.
>>

>Mumia,
>as I understand it, you had your filter set up for [OT] so that it would
>not filter out messages that did have "OT" as part of their title. Could
>you set your filter up for "OT " or " OT " or similar?
>
>Daniel

Daniel - dunno if you read Mumia's OP ref: [OT]  but he filters it that
way so as to catch ONLY an OT-Post (that is marked [OT]) and does not
filter out any other combination of "ot" in the subject line. For
example, filtering on a simle ot would also filter out bOTtom posts as a
subject line!
I think that Mumia's reasons are quite legitimate.... but then again....

reg

Re: OT - Googling Up to ChiComs

Sailfish
squaredancer wrote:

> On 05/11/2006 09:25, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
> generate the following:? :
>
>> Mumia W. (using mozilla) wrote:

>>> Okay, oh well. Some of the OT threads are interesting anyway.
>>>

>> Mumia,
>> as I understand it, you had your filter set up for [OT] so that it
>> would not filter out messages that did have "OT" as part of their
>> title. Could you set your filter up for "OT " or " OT " or similar?
>>
>> Daniel
>>

> Daniel - dunno if you read Mumia's OP ref: [OT]  but he filters it that
> way so as to catch ONLY an OT-Post (that is marked [OT]) and does not
> filter out any other combination of "ot" in the subject line. For
> example, filtering on a simle ot would also filter out bOTtom posts as a
> subject line!
> I think that Mumia's reasons are quite legitimate.... but then again....

Well, I want people to read and be annoyed by my OTs so why on earth
would I adher to Mumia's request?  :-)

squaredancer wrote:

> On 05/11/2006 09:25, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
> generate the following:? :
>
>> Mumia W. (using mozilla) wrote:

>>> Okay, oh well. Some of the OT threads are interesting anyway.
>>>

>> Mumia,
>> as I understand it, you had your filter set up for [OT] so that it
>> would not filter out messages that did have "OT" as part of their
>> title. Could you set your filter up for "OT " or " OT " or similar?
>>
>> Daniel
>>

> Daniel - dunno if you read Mumia's OP ref: [OT]  but he filters it that
> way so as to catch ONLY an OT-Post (that is marked [OT]) and does not
> filter out any other combination of "ot" in the subject line. For
> example, filtering on a simle ot would also filter out bOTtom posts as a
> subject line!
> I think that Mumia's reasons are quite legitimate.... but then again....
>
> reg

reg, where are your glasses today??? (and I mean eye not wine glasses.)

I was asking if Mumia could filter on OTspace or spaceOTspace, etc.

Daniel