Re: News-server difficulty

Mike Easter-2
David B. wrote:
> As usual, I'm having to stretch the 'grey matter' to determine what
> best to do!

The quickest/easiest thing to do is dl IDServe to a Windows machine and
feed it the line:

news.myplugbox.com:119

... and see what you get.

https://www.grc.com/id/idserve.htm

That assumes that you would be running the Win box from the same IP that
is having trouble accessing the server.

If not on the same IP, the next easiest thing would be to telnet the
server from the Mac.

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Telnet-on-Mac-OS-X

The syntax/punctuation for telnet is slightly different:

news.mypluginbox.com 119

... space instead of the colon.

If this is going to turn into a long conversation, we should move it to
moz.general instead of Tb support.

--
Mike Easter

--
Mike Easter

Re: News-server difficulty

Mike Easter-2
David B. wrote:

> What intrigues me is /HOW/ can he do it?
>
> Any ideas?

Take this to mozilla.general group this server to prevent non-Tb
off-topic moderation.

I think you are misinterpreting whatever you see Tb do when you try to
access the server, and it is Tb's 'fault' for the/your misinterpretation.

If things don't 'go well' when Tb tries to engage the server, it (maybe
I think)'thinks' the problem is user/pass, which is not the case here.

If, for example, your IP is blocked for some reason and Tb can't engage
the news server 'customarily', then Tb 'thinks' there is a user/pass
problem, which actually isn't the case.

I'm guessing (somewhat wildly) because I don't see the/your Tb alert and
you haven't used the telnet/IDServe strategy yet to see the connection
attemp result 'clearly'.

--
Mike Easter

Re: News-server difficulty

Mike Easter-2
David B. wrote:
> As usual, I'm having to stretch the 'grey matter' to determine what
> best to do!

The quickest/easiest thing to do is dl IDServe to a Windows machine and
feed it the line:

news.myplugbox.com:119

... and see what you get.

https://www.grc.com/id/idserve.htm

That assumes that you would be running the Win box from the same IP that
is having trouble accessing the server.

If not on the same IP, the next easiest thing would be to telnet the
server from the Mac.

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Telnet-on-Mac-OS-X

The syntax/punctuation for telnet is slightly different:

news.mypluginbox.com 119

... space instead of the colon.

If this is going to turn into a long conversation, we should move it to
moz.general instead of Tb support.

--
Mike Easter

--
Mike Easter

Re: News-server difficulty

Mike Easter-2
Additional info on news.myplugbox.com

Somewhat/Slightly similar to the eternal-september server, there are
(also) other groups available on that server which require user/pass.

That is, e-s allows no login connection and posting, but that only
accesses the e-s groups.  In order to get the general usenet groups on
e-s, one must be reg'd and authenticate.

myplugbox also has additional groups which are not accessible absent the
authentication.  There doesn't (to me, yet) appear to be any
published/posted guidelines for the moderation communication setup.  I
know/hear of the pizzazz and zep groups requiring auth.

Several years ago the moderator Allie could be contacted at asage19 <at>
yahoo.com and one chooses their own user/pass.  Another moderator back
then 2013 was Annette apol1 <at> comcast.net

Since that contact information is so old, one might be better to
communicate/post in the group server.news and let someone forward your
news message to the moderator.

There are also other news servers which allow read-only
non-authenticated but require auth credentials to post.

--
Mike Easter

Re: News-server difficulty

David B.
On 28/02/2017 19:10, Mike Easter wrote:

> If this is going to turn into a long conversation, we should move it to
> moz.general instead of Tb support.

The only real problem I have, Mike, is that I have recently put my
Laptop (Toshiba) back to factory conditions - by using the long-ago
provided material on CDs - and it's now busily downloading Microsoft
Updates!

On my Dell Desktop I have installed Linux Mint!!!  ;-)

Re: News-server difficulty

David B.
On 28/02/2017 19:52, Mike Easter wrote:

> Additional info on news.myplugbox.com
>
> Somewhat/Slightly similar to the eternal-september server, there are
> (also) other groups available on that server which require user/pass.
>
> That is, e-s allows no login connection and posting, but that only
> accesses the e-s groups.  In order to get the general usenet groups on
> e-s, one must be reg'd and authenticate.
>
> myplugbox also has additional groups which are not accessible absent the
> authentication.  There doesn't (to me, yet) appear to be any
> published/posted guidelines for the moderation communication setup.  I
> know/hear of the pizzazz and zep groups requiring auth.
>
> Several years ago the moderator Allie could be contacted at asage19 <at>
> yahoo.com and one chooses their own user/pass.  Another moderator back
> then 2013 was Annette apol1 <at> comcast.net
>
> Since that contact information is so old, one might be better to
> communicate/post in the group server.news and let someone forward your
> news message to the moderator.
>
> There are also other news servers which allow read-only
> non-authenticated but require auth credentials to post.

THANK YOU for taking an interest in this situation, Mike.

I expect you recall me having 'hinky' feelings! ;-)

Re: News-server difficulty

Mike Easter-2
David B. wrote:
> The only real problem I have, Mike, is that I have recently put my
> Laptop (Toshiba) back to factory conditions - by using the long-ago
> provided material on CDs - and it's now busily downloading Microsoft
> Updates!

You can pause that.  Are you talking about XP or Win7 or something else?

> On my Dell Desktop I have installed Linux Mint!!!

Mint can telnet.  Mint can use Wine to run IDServe. Is that Dell the
Dimension 2400?  My choice of Mints for that hardware would be 17.3
XFCE.  I'm not sure about Mint 18 XFCE; I haven't tried it on my lowest
resource hardware with 1G ram and Celeron M which will probably inherit
MX 16 after Mint 17.3 expires.

--
Mike Easter

Re: News-server difficulty

David B.
On 28/02/2017 21:46, Mike Easter wrote:
> David B. wrote:
>> The only real problem I have, Mike, is that I have recently put my
>> Laptop (Toshiba) back to factory conditions - by using the long-ago
>> provided material on CDs - and it's now busily downloading Microsoft
>> Updates!
>
> You can pause that.  Are you talking about XP or Win7 or something else?

Windows 7

I HAD upgraded it to Windows 10 some months ago.

>> On my Dell Desktop I have installed Linux Mint!!!
>
> Mint can telnet.  Mint can use Wine to run IDServe. Is that Dell the
> Dimension 2400?

Yes

> My choice of Mints for that hardware would be 17.3
> XFCE.  I'm not sure about Mint 18 XFCE; I haven't tried it on my lowest
> resource hardware with 1G ram and Celeron M which will probably inherit
> MX 16 after Mint 17.3 expires.

Initially I had installed Cinnamon, but then I read that it needed 2GB
RAM. I re-read what _you_ had said so then installed 17.3 Xfce - THAT is
working MUCH better! :-)

Re: News-server difficulty

Mike Easter-2
David B. wrote:
> then installed 17.3 Xfce - THAT is working MUCH better! :-)

Mint has inxi (actually just a big elaborate script) by default.

Use your command line and type:

inxi

Then get a little more about your graphics incl driver:

inxi -G

If you want to see what all inxi can tell you about your hardware and
other info, use:

inxi -h

or use something like

inxi -F

If the colors are stupid, you can fix that with a -c option such as 0

inxi -Fc 0

Using the info from the first inxi, what is the ram in this 2400?

--
Mike Easter

Re: News-server difficulty

David B.
On 28/02/2017 23:09, Mike Easter wrote:

> David B. wrote:
>> then installed 17.3 Xfce - THAT is working MUCH better! :-)
>
> Mint has inxi (actually just a big elaborate script) by default.
>
> Use your command line and type:
>
> inxi
>
> Then get a little more about your graphics incl driver:
>
> inxi -G
>
> If you want to see what all inxi can tell you about your hardware and
> other info, use:
>
> inxi -h
>
> or use something like
>
> inxi -F
>
> If the colors are stupid, you can fix that with a -c option such as 0
>
> inxi -Fc 0
>
> Using the info from the first inxi, what is the ram in this 2400?

I've printed out your post.

I'll deal with it tomorrow, Mike.

Goodnight! :-)

Re: News-server difficulty

David B.
On 28/02/2017 23:37, David B. wrote:

> On 28/02/2017 23:09, Mike Easter wrote:
>> David B. wrote:
>>> then installed 17.3 Xfce - THAT is working MUCH better! :-)
>>
>> Mint has inxi (actually just a big elaborate script) by default.
>>
>> Use your command line and type:
>>
>> inxi
>>
>> Then get a little more about your graphics incl driver:
>>
>> inxi -G
>>
>> If you want to see what all inxi can tell you about your hardware and
>> other info, use:
>>
>> inxi -h
>>
>> or use something like
>>
>> inxi -F
>>
>> If the colors are stupid, you can fix that with a -c option such as 0
>>
>> inxi -Fc 0
>>
>> Using the info from the first inxi, what is the ram in this 2400?
>>

> I've printed out your post.
>
> I'll deal with it tomorrow, Mike.
>
> Goodnight! :-)

Btw, See  Message-ID: <o951ca$b4c$[hidden email]>

Perhaps you'll then better understand!

'nite!

Re: News-server difficulty

Mike Easter-2
David B. wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> David B. wrote:
>>> then installed 17.3 Xfce - THAT is working MUCH better! :-)
>>
>> Mint has inxi (actually just a big elaborate script) by default.
>>
>> Use your command line and type:
>>
>> inxi

>> Using the info from the first inxi, what is the ram in this 2400?
>
> I've printed out your post.

One thing that greatly enhances your familiarity with linux is to use it
for simple everyday activities like participating in newsgroups;
assuming that the Dell is connected to the internet.

Mint comes with Tb, which is 'just like' the Mac version.

By using linux with newsgroups, commands can be copied and pasted when
they are more elaborate than 'inxi'.

I don't recommend blindly pasting commands, but instead understanding
what any command which someone suggests is expected to do before you
even copy it, much less paste it.

So, what would be better than printing a post would be enabling Mint's
Tb to access newsgroups such as moz or others.

> I'll deal with it tomorrow, Mike.

--
Mike Easter

Re: News-server difficulty

David B.-2
On 28/02/2017 23:09, Mike Easter wrote:

> David B. wrote:
>> then installed 17.3 Xfce - THAT is working MUCH better! :-)
>
> Mint has inxi (actually just a big elaborate script) by default.
>
> Use your command line and type:
>
> inxi
>
> Then get a little more about your graphics incl driver:
>
> inxi -G
>
> If you want to see what all inxi can tell you about your hardware and
> other info, use:
>
> inxi -h
>
> or use something like
>
> inxi -F
>
> If the colors are stupid, you can fix that with a -c option such as 0
>
> inxi -Fc 0
>
> Using the info from the first inxi, what is the ram in this 2400?

I'll have a try with that later on. I've just dual-booted and install a
fresh copy of XP, Thunderbird and Belarc Adviser, the latter of which
reports this:-

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Installed: 27/02/2017 12:21:45
Boot Mode: BIOS (Secure Boot not supported)
System Model
Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 2400
System Service Tag: FYV9W0J (support for this PC)
Chassis Serial Number: FYV9W0J
Enclosure Type: Space-saving
Processor a
2.50 gigahertz Intel Celeron
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Not hyper-threaded
Main Circuit Board b
Board: Dell Computer Corp. 0G1548 A00
Serial Number: ..CN7082138PJ0BA.
Bus Clock: 400 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A02 07/31/2003
Drives
84.64 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
75.36 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

_NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A [Optical drive]

Maxtor 6L160P0 [Hard drive] (163.93 GB) -- drive 0, s/n L31T4VFG, rev
BAJ41G20, SMART Status: Healthy
Memory Modules c,d
766 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM_1' has 512 MB
Slot 'DIMM_2' has 256 MB
Local Drive Volumes
c: (NTFS on drive 0) 84.64 GB 75.36 GB free

--
HTH  :-)

---

Re: News-server difficulty

David B.-2
On 01/03/2017 14:34, David B. wrote:
[....]
> Memory Modules c,d
> 766 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
>
> Slot 'DIMM_1' has 512 MB
> Slot 'DIMM_2' has 256 MB
> Local Drive Volumes
> c: (NTFS on drive 0)    84.64 GB    75.36 GB free

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/scanview/A98322D131D926C3

---

Re: News-server difficulty

Mike Easter-2
David B. wrote:
> 766 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
>
> Slot 'DIMM_1' has 512 MB
> Slot 'DIMM_2' has 256 MB

Gotit.

--
Mike Easter

Re: News-server difficulty

Mike Easter-2
David B. linked Crucial:

> Crucial 512MB DDR-400 UDIMM £15.59 inc. VAT
> Crucial 1GB DDR-333 UDIMM £28.79 inc. VAT

That ram business on old hardware is a tough call.

What I do with my aging hardware is shop ram sales in a 'timely fashion'
when the current popular ram has been more recently upgraded. Quite some
long time ago you could've probably bought that ram more cheaply.

It would definitely be more fun messing with linux distros to have 1.5G
ram than having only .76, but spending 30 pounds won't really make that
hardware worth much to anyone but you, and that/ what it is 'worth' to
you/ would depend on what you are going to do with it.

XP would only be good for a few Windows-only purposes which wouldn't
include browsing; the hardware could be used in a great many more ways
with linux.

Many people are in a situation in which they could get that ram *free*
from some scrapped old machine.  That would definitely be worth doing.

When I look at eBay I see a lot of 1G used DDR400 sticks for less than
9 USD.

--
Mike Easter

Re: News-server difficulty

David B.
On 01/03/2017 17:30, Mike Easter wrote:

> David B. linked Crucial:
>
>> Crucial 512MB DDR-400 UDIMM £15.59 inc. VAT
>> Crucial 1GB DDR-333 UDIMM £28.79 inc. VAT
>
> That ram business on old hardware is a tough call.
>
> What I do with my aging hardware is shop ram sales in a 'timely fashion'
> when the current popular ram has been more recently upgraded. Quite some
> long time ago you could've probably bought that ram more cheaply.
>
> It would definitely be more fun messing with linux distros to have 1.5G
> ram than having only .76, but spending 30 pounds won't really make that
> hardware worth much to anyone but you, and that/ what it is 'worth' to
> you/ would depend on what you are going to do with it.
>
> XP would only be good for a few Windows-only purposes which wouldn't
> include browsing; the hardware could be used in a great many more ways
> with linux.
>
> Many people are in a situation in which they could get that ram *free*
> from some scrapped old machine.  That would definitely be worth doing.
>
> When I look at eBay I see a lot of 1G used DDR400 sticks for less than
> 9 USD.

FYI .......

Order #026-7733389-0644351
Placed on March 02, 2017
        KOMPUTERBAY 2GB ( 2 X 1GB ) DDR DIMM (184 PIN) 333Mhz DDR333 PC2700
DESKTOP MEMORY
Condition: New
Sold by KOMPBAY
Fulfilled by Amazon
                        £11.00
Item Subtotal: £11.00
Postage & Packing: £0.00
Order Total: £11.00
Selected Payment Method: Mastercard

=

I'll let you know when I've installed it!  ;-)

Re: News-server difficulty

Mike Easter-2
David B. wrote:
> ( 2 X 1GB ) DDR DIMM (184 PIN) 333Mhz DDR333 PC2700 DESKTOP MEMORY

Ooh, good, fully populated.

Handling advice:

http://www.wikihow.com/Avoid-Damaging-RAM-During-Installation How to

On 02/03/2017 03:24, Mike Easter wrote:
> David B. wrote:
>> ( 2 X 1GB ) DDR DIMM (184 PIN) 333Mhz DDR333 PC2700 DESKTOP MEMORY
>
> Ooh, good, fully populated.

Seemed silly not to go the full mile!

> Handling advice:
>
> http://www.wikihow.com/Avoid-Damaging-RAM-During-Installation How to
> Avoid Damaging RAM During Installation

Many thanks for that. A good reminder.

I'll get back to playing with Mint as you described earlier, but today
my wife and I are going to visit penguins in Torquay and have a bite of
lunch too!

https://goo.gl/sCrf6r

Cheers! :-)

Re: News-server difficulty

Mike Easter-2
David B. wrote:
> today my wife and I are going to visit penguins in Torquay and have a
> bite of lunch too!

Penguin breakfast at penguin beach 10:30a UK time.

Dell's service manual; sometimes getting into the case is the hardest
part; not so for that one.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-2400_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

--
Mike Easter