Re: New metrics reports for localizers

Arjuna Rao Chavala
Glad to see the first report for Telugu.
Here is some feedback.
PDF does not display the tables properly on Linux PDF document
viewer.for the tables
Blocklist for Te, Downloads for Te, where  /w firefox goes to the
second row and the numbers are not aligned. Web version certainly will
help
Other tables display allright

Need help to interpret the following
Blocklist for Top Localizations in India where locale is most
prominent appears twice,
The first heading may be prefixed with Countrywise and the second one
changed countrywise downloads for Te.(?)

How do you read the country information, is it from the locale
reported by the  browser that is being used to download?
How do you determine the country in the country with te users table.

Can you show cumulative downloads for localized language for each
version.

If I want to compare comparison of firefox in my mother tongue's
sister languages (Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam etc), can you  help.

Thanks for the  good initiative, as it shows the results of the
volunteer effort.
Regards
Arjun

On Oct 4, 2:52 pm, Seth Bindernagel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Everyone:
>
> At the MozCamp in Prague today, I presented a sample report that the
> L10n-drivers and the Mozilla Metrics Team would like to make available
> to *all localizers* who are interested.
>
> *The Report
> *
> Attached is a sample of the report, using our pt-PT locale to show a
> sample of the data we will present.  When you open this report, you will
> see four blocks of information about Firefox versions 3.5, 3, and 2.  It
> includes
>
>     * "Blocklist <http://morgamic.com/tag/blocklist/> pings" for your locale
>     * Blocklist pings for top localizations in country where locale is
>       most prominent
>     * Total downloads for your locale
>     * Downloads of the other top localizations in the country where your
>       locale is most prominently spoken
>
> This report will come each week with new data.
>
> *Sign up for it!*
>
> If you would like to receive this customized report for your locale,
> please opt-in by sending me an email with your name, email address, and
> your locale. *We will accept the first round of opt-ins until October
> 15, 2009 at 11:59 PM Mountain View time.  (UTC-7) *(You will be able to
> add names ongoing, but we'd like to get our initial batch to the metrics
> team by October 15.)
>
> *Your Remarks*
>
> This report format is set for version 1.0.  Please review it for a
> period of time, gathering your feedback, and send a summary to me.  I
> will compile all feedback, present it to the metrics team, and we will
> make improvements for a future release.
>
> Thanks, everyone.  Hope you find this useful.
>
> Best,
>
> Seth

Re: New metrics reports for localizers

Ehsan Akhgari
Sorry I missed this thread when it was first posted.  Is this too late to
opt in?  If not, then I'd like to opt in for Persian (fa).

Thanks!
--
Ehsan
<http://ehsanakhgari.org/>

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 8:56 PM, arjun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >       locale is most prominently spoken
> >
> > This report will come each week with new data.
> >
> > *Sign up for it!*
> >
> > If you would like to receive this customized report for your locale,
> > please opt-in by sending me an email with your name, email address, and
> > your locale. *We will accept the first round of opt-ins until October
> > 15, 2009 at 11:59 PM Mountain View time.  (UTC-7) *(You will be able to
> > add names ongoing, but we'd like to get our initial batch to the metrics
> > team by October 15.)
> >
> > *Your Remarks*
> >
> > This report format is set for version 1.0.  Please review it for a
> > period of time, gathering your feedback, and send a summary to me.  I
> > will compile all feedback, present it to the metrics team, and we will
> > make improvements for a future release.
> >
> > Thanks, everyone.  Hope you find this useful.

Fwd: New metrics reports for localizers

Ehsan Akhgari
You probably meant to send it to the list...

--
Ehsan
<http://ehsanakhgari.org/>

Време: 11/20/2009 07:59 PM, Ehsan Akhgari пише:

Ehsan<http://ehsanakhgari.org/> <http://ehsanakhgari.org/>

<[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Miloš Dinić

WebDev QA Contributor
Mozilla Serbia community leader
Support locale leader at Mozilla

Re: Fwd: New metrics reports for localizers

Mилош Динић
Yes, I obviously need some time to get used to TB3 :) Anyway, Seth,
should we bug you via email, or opting-in here would be enough?

Време: 11/20/2009 10:07 PM, Ehsan Akhgari пише:

> You probably meant to send it to the list...
>
> --
> Ehsan
> <http://ehsanakhgari.org/>

Seth Bindernagel
Either reply to this mail that you want to be included or send me
private mail. For the time being, I have to manage the list. I hope we
can get some type of opt-in UI, but this is how it will work for now.

Mozilla Srbija wrote:

> Yes, I obviously need some time to get used to TB3 :) Anyway, Seth,
> should we bug you via email, or opting-in here would be enough?
>
> Време: 11/20/2009 10:07 PM, Ehsan Akhgari пише:
>> You probably meant to send it to the list...
>>
>> --
>> Ehsan
>> <http://ehsanakhgari.org/>

Jesper Kristensen-4
Is there any ETA of then these reports are ready so we can start
receiving them?

Seth Bindernagel skrev:
> Either reply to this mail that you want to be included or send me
> private mail. For the time being, I have to manage the list. I hope we
> can get some type of opt-in UI, but this is how it will work for now.

Re: New metrics reports for localizers

Seth Bindernagel
Hey Arjun,

Excellent feedback.  See my inline responses.

arjun wrote:
> Glad to see the first report for Telugu.
> Here is some feedback.
> PDF does not display the tables properly on Linux PDF document
> viewer.for the tables

Our lead developer for these reports runs linux and tested it based on
your feedback.  It appears well to him.  He asked me for very specific
details if you can provide them.  I'll get Pedro (the developer) to
respond directly to you and everyone on this list who might be
experiencing the same problems.

> Blocklist for Te, Downloads for Te, where  /w firefox goes to the
> second row and the numbers are not aligned. Web version certainly will
> help
> Other tables display allright
>
> Need help to interpret the following
> Blocklist for Top Localizations in India where locale is most
> prominent appears twice,
> The first heading may be prefixed with Countrywise and the second one
> changed countrywise downloads for Te.(?)

Can you send me a screen shot of this?  On the reports that I see, it
reads "Blocklist for Top Localizations in [COUNTRY NAME] where the
locale is most prominent"

This, by the way, is intended to show you other locales being used in
the country where you probably hope your locale is being used.  I know
this doesn't necessarily work for every single localization because
geographical lines are not always the proper guideline for a locale's
prominence.  But, by and large, if ab-CD is being localized, it probably
matches with some country.  I thought it would be nice to show "wx-YZ",
"jk-LM", "ef-GH", etc. locales.

> How do you read the country information, is it from the locale
> reported by the  browser that is being used to download?

“Downloads for [locale]” refers to any download of a prebuilt
localization of Firefox that originates from a link to
downloads.mozilla.org.  In your case, that would be anyone who downloads
the Telugu translation of Firefox by clicking on the following link:

http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-3.5.5&os=win&lang=te
<http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-3.5.5&os=win&lang=cs>

Which they could get from

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html

Do you have a Mozilla Community Site for Telugu?  That might also help
drive downloads.

What doesn’t get included is anyone using Firefox with a different built
in localization and installing the Telugu language pack (if such a thing
exists).

> How do you determine the country in the country with te users table.

My blog post *might* help explain this.  Let me know if you have further
questions.

http://blog.mozilla.com/seth/2009/11/19/new-reports-furnish-metrics-to-our-localization-community/

> Can you show cumulative downloads for localized language for each
> version.

I'll ask.  But, feel free to transfer any of these questions to my blog
so those not on this mailing list can also see your great questions.
I'll work on this response.

> If I want to compare comparison of firefox in my mother tongue's
> sister languages (Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam etc), can you  help.

I can ask.  I think we can hone in on country.  But, that was the
original intention of the "Blocklist for Top Localizations in [country]"
section of the report.  I realize now that in some specific cases, it
may not work well since related languages may not provide raw data big
enough to rank higher than other locales.  Your request is very
specific, but I can check into it.

> Thanks for the  good initiative, as it shows the results of the
> volunteer effort.
> Regards
> Arjun
>

> On Oct 4, 2:52 pm, Seth Bindernagel<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone:
>>
>> At the MozCamp in Prague today, I presented a sample report that the
>> L10n-drivers and the Mozilla Metrics Team would like to make available
>> to *all localizers* who are interested.
>>
>> *The Report
>> *
>> Attached is a sample of the report, using our pt-PT locale to show a
>> sample of the data we will present.  When you open this report, you will
>> see four blocks of information about Firefox versions 3.5, 3, and 2.  It
>> includes
>>
>>      * "Blocklist<http://morgamic.com/tag/blocklist/>  pings" for your locale
>>      * Blocklist pings for top localizations in country where locale is
>>        most prominent
>>      * Total downloads for your locale
>>      * Downloads of the other top localizations in the country where your
>>        locale is most prominently spoken
>>
>> This report will come each week with new data.
>>
>> *Sign up for it!*
>>
>> If you would like to receive this customized report for your locale,
>> please opt-in by sending me an email with your name, email address, and
>> your locale. *We will accept the first round of opt-ins until October
>> 15, 2009 at 11:59 PM Mountain View time.  (UTC-7) *(You will be able to
>> add names ongoing, but we'd like to get our initial batch to the metrics
>> team by October 15.)
>>
>> *Your Remarks*
>>
>> This report format is set for version 1.0.  Please review it for a
>> period of time, gathering your feedback, and send a summary to me.  I
>> will compile all feedback, present it to the metrics team, and we will
>> make improvements for a future release.
>>
>> Thanks, everyone.  Hope you find this useful.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Seth

Re: New metrics reports for localizers

Mилош Динић
Hello Seth,

Can I have that report for Serbian locale please?

Време: 11/22/2009 07:35 PM, Seth Bindernagel пише:

> [...]
>>>        locale is most prominently spoken
>>>
>>> This report will come each week with new data.
>>>
>>> *Sign up for it!*
>>>
>>> If you would like to receive this customized report for your locale,
>>> please opt-in by sending me an email with your name, email address, and
>>> your locale. *We will accept the first round of opt-ins until October
>>> 15, 2009 at 11:59 PM Mountain View time.  (UTC-7) *(You will be able to
>>> add names ongoing, but we'd like to get our initial batch to the
>>> metrics
>>> team by October 15.)
>>>
>>> *Your Remarks*
>>>
>>> This report format is set for version 1.0.  Please review it for a
>>> period of time, gathering your feedback, and send a summary to me.  I
>>> will compile all feedback, present it to the metrics team, and we will
>>> make improvements for a future release.
>>>
>>> Thanks, everyone.  Hope you find this useful.

My responses to improve these reports is embedded.
Thanks
Arjun
On Nov 22, 11:35 pm, Seth Bindernagel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey Arjun,
>
> Excellent feedback.  See my inline responses.
>
> arjun wrote:
> > Glad to see the first report for Telugu.
> > Here is some feedback.
> > PDF does not display the tables properly on Linux PDF document
> > viewer.for the tables

Layout of the table led to this confusion. Use of Firefox on first row
and then version # on subsequent rows is the cause for confusion.
Absence of a table borders could be another. There is no explanation
for %W/W (Now I understand the growth % on weekly comparison).Firefox
could be changed to all versions of FF or some thing similar. (This
should be done for the table "Downloads for <<lang code>>"

> Can you send me a screen shot of this?  On the reports that I see, it
> reads "Blocklist for Top Localizations in [COUNTRY NAME] where the
> locale is most prominent"

Similarly the table also needs to be updated with appropriate lables
for columns. For example what is meant by country is actually the
locale of Firefox users in the  country where the language  is
commonly used

> > How do you read the country information, is it from the locale
> > reported by the  browser that is being used to download?
I did not find an answer to this in your reply.

> Do you have a Mozilla Community Site for Telugu?  That might also help
> drive downloads.
Will work towards the same.

> > How do you determine the country in the country with te users table.
The % list  is mostly zero for this table. It may be useful to provide
% list in scientific notation.

> My blog post *might* help explain this.  Let me know if you have further
> questions.
>
> http://blog.mozilla.com/seth/2009/11/19/new-reports-furnish-metrics-t...
Thanks for the blog. I opted to reply to this thread for now, though I
posted a comment on the blog.
Please see  my blog post in telugu with different charts
http://teluginux.blogspot.com/2009/11/blog-post.html.  Country wise
list is captured as pie chart. Downloads is bar chart.
How are users accounted for in a week? If I use my broadband modem and
use the firefox daily, will I get counted  7 times. Is there a unique
identity for each installation of firefox.
What are the potential for error in these data?

> > Can you show cumulative downloads for localized language for each
> > version.
>
> I'll ask.  But, feel free to transfer any of these questions to my blog
> so those not on this mailing list can also see your great questions.
> I'll work on this response.
>
> > If I want to compare comparison of firefox in my mother tongue's
> > sister languages (Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam etc), can you  help.
>
> I can ask.  I think we can hone in on country.  But, that was the
> original intention of the "Blocklist for Top Localizations in [country]"
> section of the report.  I realize now that in some specific cases, it
> may not work well since related languages may not provide raw data big
> enough to rank higher than other locales.  Your request is very
> specific, but I can check into it.
Can I sign up for other language reports, even though I am not a
contributor. I would like to get access to all the indian languages.

Re: New metrics reports for localizers

sskroeder
Hi Seth...

I'd like to recieve the report for the Danish locale ;-D

best regards
/Søren, sskroeder

Re: New metrics reports for localizers

Romi Hardiyanto
We would like to get those report for locale id.

Thanks,
Romi