Quantcast

Re: Mozilla and Patents

chefhja
On Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:19:50 AM UTC-7, Gerv wrote:

> On 09/04/12 21:29, Daniel Cater wrote:
> > 1. Does Mozilla hold any patents that it inherited / acquired from Netscape / AOL?
> > 2. Does Mozilla hold any patents that it inherited / acquired from elsewhere?
> > 3. Does Mozilla hold any patents that it filed for itself?
> > 4. Does Mozilla have a licence for any Netscape / AOL patents?
> > 5. Does Mozilla have a licence for any other patents?
> > 6. Does Mozilla have a patent policy?
> > 7. Does Mozilla have a section on patents in employees' contracts?
> > 8. Does this sale and licence of AOL patents to Microsoft have any meaningful impact on Mozilla?
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> As you will understand, for legal reasons it's not normally wise to
> discuss or speculate on patent-related matters except with one's
> attorney. The recently-adopted Debian Patent Policy[0] says:
>
> "Patent risks affect the entire community. If you are concerned about a
> specific patent, please do not keep it to yourself — notify legal counsel.
>
> All communication related to specific patent risk should be directed to
> [hidden email], which is maintained under the rules of
> attorney-client privilege. The risk will be evaluated and any necessary
> response will be made directly to affected parties."
>
> In other words: "it's not smart to talk about patent risks in public".
>
> Some of your questions are matters of fact and probably public record;
> but I'm not sure I have answers off the top of my head and even if I
> did, I'd still want to consult before giving them :-)
>
> Gerv
>
> [0] http://www.debian.org/legal/patent

Hi Daniel,
Some additional information for you.

1. No.
2. No.
3. No. See post regarding patents we applied for and assigned to xiph.org)
http://lockshot.wordpress.com/2012/04/17/patent-matters-dont-hate-the-player-hate-the-game/
4. Yes under the MPL. See more at http://lockshot.wordpress.com/2012/04/12/microsoft-acquisition-of-netscapeaol-patents/
5. No. Note when we license, use or acquire work product from vendors/consultants there is often a patent license, but I assume you're referring to express patent licenses relative to our products.
6. See post above under #3 which describes our current thinking.
7. Yes, we have a patent assignment provision that is pretty typical. I like the new Twitter IPA proposal, and we'll certainly be discussing adopting that structure once the final terms are worked out.
8. See post referenced #4 above.

Hope this answers your questions. thanks for inquiring.
/hja

Re: Mozilla and Patents

Daniel Cater
On Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:03:24 PM UTC+1, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:19:50 AM UTC-7, Gerv wrote:
> > On 09/04/12 21:29, Daniel Cater wrote:
> > > 1. Does Mozilla hold any patents that it inherited / acquired from Netscape / AOL?
> > > 2. Does Mozilla hold any patents that it inherited / acquired from elsewhere?
> > > 3. Does Mozilla hold any patents that it filed for itself?
> > > 4. Does Mozilla have a licence for any Netscape / AOL patents?
> > > 5. Does Mozilla have a licence for any other patents?
> > > 6. Does Mozilla have a patent policy?
> > > 7. Does Mozilla have a section on patents in employees' contracts?
> > > 8. Does this sale and licence of AOL patents to Microsoft have any meaningful impact on Mozilla?
> >
> > Hi Daniel,
> >
> > As you will understand, for legal reasons it's not normally wise to
> > discuss or speculate on patent-related matters except with one's
> > attorney. The recently-adopted Debian Patent Policy[0] says:
> >
> > "Patent risks affect the entire community. If you are concerned about a
> > specific patent, please do not keep it to yourself — notify legal counsel.
> >
> > All communication related to specific patent risk should be directed to
> > [hidden email], which is maintained under the rules of
> > attorney-client privilege. The risk will be evaluated and any necessary
> > response will be made directly to affected parties."
> >
> > In other words: "it's not smart to talk about patent risks in public".
> >
> > Some of your questions are matters of fact and probably public record;
> > but I'm not sure I have answers off the top of my head and even if I
> > did, I'd still want to consult before giving them :-)
> >
> > Gerv
> >
> > [0] http://www.debian.org/legal/patent
>
> Hi Daniel,
> Some additional information for you.
>
> 1. No.
> 2. No.
> 3. No. See post regarding patents we applied for and assigned to xiph.org)
> http://lockshot.wordpress.com/2012/04/17/patent-matters-dont-hate-the-player-hate-the-game/
> 4. Yes under the MPL. See more at http://lockshot.wordpress.com/2012/04/12/microsoft-acquisition-of-netscapeaol-patents/
> 5. No. Note when we license, use or acquire work product from vendors/consultants there is often a patent license, but I assume you're referring to express patent licenses relative to our products.
> 6. See post above under #3 which describes our current thinking.
> 7. Yes, we have a patent assignment provision that is pretty typical. I like the new Twitter IPA proposal, and we'll certainly be discussing adopting that structure once the final terms are worked out.
> 8. See post referenced #4 above.
>
> Hope this answers your questions. thanks for inquiring.
> /hja

Great, thanks.