Re: Maltese Language Support

Matt Nordhoff
On 02/13/06 00:43, Mark Micallef wrote:

> Hi, are there any plans at present to add Maltese language support to
> Firefox? There *are* fonts available (such as the ones at
> http://www.my-malta.com/installing_font.html), and I noticed that
> Firefox already supports a number of other minor, constructed and
> extinct languages, such as Latin (extinct), Luxembourgish (minor:
> 300,000 speakers) Frisian (minor: 360,000~750,000 speakers), Esperanto
> (constructed), Klingon (shoot to kill, men!), etc...
>
> If support is not planned, is there a way to add it to Firefox by
> editing the configuration files?
>
> BACKGROUND ON THE MALTESE LANGUAGE
>
> Maltese is spoken as a first language by 400,000 Maltese in Malta as
> well as a significant number of Maltese expatriates around the world
> (especially in the USA, Canada and Australia). Maltese is the national
> language of Malta and an official language of the European Union. Total
> speakers are estimated at more that 600,000.
>
> More information about Maltese is available at Wikipedia at this address:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltese_language
>
> You might also like to check out Maltese language Wikipedia:
> http://mt.wikipedia.org/

There might be an official localization if someone (or does it have to
be a group of people?) volunteers to translate it.

If you want to do it, these links should have useful information:
<http://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Home_Page>
<http://www.mozilla.org/projects/l10n/>
<http://www.mozilla.org/projects/l10n/mlp_howto.html>

(Contrary to what the last page says, the newsgroup for L10n
["localization" is an L, 10 letters, and an N, so it's abbreviated
"L10n"] is now mozilla.dev.l10n on this server [news.mozilla.org]
instead of netscape.public.mozilla.l10n. Um... I'll cross-post this
there, so go there if you want to discuss it more, though I probably
won't be there, since I know nothing about localization.)
--
Matt Nordhoff, aka Peng