Re: Is anybody else still using Win 7 here?

Re: Is anybody else still using Win 7 here?

Daniel-3
As ChrisI has quite rightly pointed out this is not a SeaMonkey problem,
so I should never have originally posted it here in m.s.seamonkey, so
I'm cross-posting to m.general and setting Follow-up: there to continue
the discussion. Thanks.

Daniel wrote on 27/06/2020 8:22 PM:

> Last Monday (so Sunday Evening USA time) when I checked my Windows
> Update portal, it showed there was an 80.6MB update waiting to be
> installed.
>
> (Note: Last Monday, so not the normal Windows7 update, which, if there
> is one, I usually get on a Wednesday Afternoon (so Tuesday Evening USA
> time))
>
> Virtually daily since, I've been having to re-boot my Win7 so it can
> complete the installation .... but time after time after time, the
> update fails, so the system reverts to the previously installed system
> .... until next cold boot!!
>
> Is anyone else seeing this behaviour?? Can I, somehow, delete the
> Windows Update from the Control Panel screen .... and hope things get
> fixed up/picked up next Update Tuesday??
>
> Any other suggestions .... APART FROM UPDATING TO WIN10??

Thanks to prompting from Frank-Rainer, I noted that there were to
updates listed

Important (MS Edge) Update -KB4567409
Optional (2020-01 Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup for Win7) -KB4539601

and it was this "Important" update, which wants to install Chromium Edge
on my Win7 system, that is causing my problem.

After several days of de-selecting this "Important" update, MicroSoft
apparently knows my needs better than I and still wants to re-select and
install Chromium Edge on my system.

Does anybody have any further suggestions as to what I can do?? Can I
remove the Update from the Windows Update system somehow (although I
suspect this would just result in MS sending the update to me again!!)??
--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: Is anybody else still using Win 7 here?

Mayayana
"Daniel" <[hidden email]> wrote

| After several days of de-selecting this "Important" update, MicroSoft
| apparently knows my needs better than I and still wants to re-select and
| install Chromium Edge on my system.
|
| Does anybody have any further suggestions as to what I can do?? Can I
| remove the Update from the Windows Update system somehow (although I
| suspect this would just result in MS sending the update to me again!!)??

 Ask in the Win7 group.
 Stop enabling Windows Update.

  I'm runing one computer with Win7-64 (and
3 with XP). On Win7 I'm running FF and
Waterfox. That has nothing to do with Windows
Update.

  If you're worried you can turn on updates
occasionally. Or just install wrapups. But you
need to control it. Microsoft have shown themselves
to be sleazy over and over. And now they're
taking the approach that they own Windows
machines and just let you use them. It's part
of their plan to convert the Windows user base
to rental customers. If you let that happen it's
your own fault.

  This topic has come up in the Win7 group. A
number of people have complained about it. There's
no "solution". If you want to stop a crook you lock
the door. disable Windows Update service and BITS
service.

Re: Is anybody else still using Win 7 here?

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Mayayana graced us with on 7/1/2020
5:38 AM:

> "Daniel" <[hidden email]> wrote
>
> | After several days of de-selecting this "Important" update, MicroSoft
> | apparently knows my needs better than I and still wants to re-select and
> | install Chromium Edge on my system.
> |
> | Does anybody have any further suggestions as to what I can do?? Can I
> | remove the Update from the Windows Update system somehow (although I
> | suspect this would just result in MS sending the update to me again!!)??
>
>  Ask in the Win7 group.
>  Stop enabling Windows Update.
>
>   I'm runing one computer with Win7-64 (and
> 3 with XP). On Win7 I'm running FF and
> Waterfox. That has nothing to do with Windows
> Update.
>
>   If you're worried you can turn on updates
> occasionally. Or just install wrapups. But you
> need to control it. Microsoft have shown themselves
> to be sleazy over and over. And now they're
> taking the approach that they own Windows
> machines and just let you use them. It's part
> of their plan to convert the Windows user base
> to rental customers. If you let that happen it's
> your own fault.
>
>   This topic has come up in the Win7 group. A
> number of people have complained about it. There's
> no "solution". If you want to stop a crook you lock
> the door. disable Windows Update service and BITS
> service.

This is interesting. Running Win7(64) here and haven't experienced this
problem. I have "Windows is set to install after checking with you" set
and have not seen this update.

--
Sailfish

Re: Is anybody else still using Win 7 here?

PietB-2
Mayayana wrote:
> If you want to stop a crook you lock the door.

And the Windows.

-p

Re: Is anybody else still using Win 7 here?

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Mayayana graced us with on 7/1/2020
5:38 AM:

>  Ask in the Win7 group.
>  Stop enabling Windows Update.

Which Win7 group specifically? Google Groups shows lots of them but none
have recent post dates.

--
Sailfish

Re: Is anybody else still using Win 7 here?

J. P. Gilliver (John)-3
On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 06:13:46, Sailfish
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>My bloviated meandering follows what Mayayana graced us with on
>7/1/2020 5:38 AM:
>>   Ask in the Win7 group.
>>  Stop enabling Windows Update.
>>
>Which Win7 group specifically? Google Groups shows lots of them but
>none have recent post dates.

alt.windows7.general is the one I use. However, I don't think GG carry
it - as they don't many 'groups. I think you're using giganews, and I
think they do.

If it's nice to look at and it makes you feel good, it's art. - Grayson Perry,
interviewed in Radio Times 12-18 October 2013

Re: Is anybody else still using Win 7 here?

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what J. P. Gilliver (John) graced us
with on 7/1/2020 10:46 AM:

> On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 06:13:46, Sailfish
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Mayayana graced us with on
>> 7/1/2020 5:38 AM:
>>>   Ask in the Win7 group.
>>>  Stop enabling Windows Update.
>>>
>> Which Win7 group specifically? Google Groups shows lots of them but
>> none have recent post dates.
>>
> alt.windows7.general is the one I use. However, I don't think GG carry
> it - as they don't many 'groups. I think you're using giganews, and I
> think they do.

ah, I didn't actually have a general Usenet account since I only use
Mozilla's nntp server for most discussions and Google Groups (GG) for
others.

It is as you stated, GG doesn't support any of the alt. groups. Also, my
ISP doesn't offer usenet and Giganews requires a subscription. However,
I was able to find a free service (http://news.aioe.org/) that did
include it and found the alt.windows7.general topic.

Thx!

--
Sailfish

Re: Is anybody else still using Win 7 here?

J. P. Gilliver (John)-3
On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 14:22:27, Sailfish
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>My bloviated meandering follows what J. P. Gilliver (John) graced us
>with on 7/1/2020 10:46 AM:
>> On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 06:13:46, Sailfish  <NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunf
[]

>>> Which Win7 group specifically? Google Groups shows lots of them but
>>>none have recent post dates.
>>>
>> alt.windows7.general is the one I use. However, I don't think GG
>>carry  it - as they don't many 'groups. I think you're using giganews,
>>and I  think they do.
>
>ah, I didn't actually have a general Usenet account since I only use
>Mozilla's nntp server for most discussions and Google Groups (GG) for
>others.
>
>It is as you stated, GG doesn't support any of the alt. groups. Also,
>my ISP doesn't offer usenet and Giganews requires a subscription.
>However, I was able to find a free service (http://news.aioe.org/) that
>did include it and found the alt.windows7.general topic.
>
>Thx!

Ah. You can get a free one - for example from
http://www.eternal-september.org/ ;  you seem to be using Thunderbird
(though 2.0.0.24 is a _very_ old version! Should still be OK, though -
usenet hadn't changed much for many years), which I think can have more
than one news account. You'll find it much better than Google Groups -
not only giving access to far more newsgroups, but a better user
interface.

Of course, this show - like every other cop show on earth - massively
overstates the prevalence of violent crime: last year, in the whole of the UK,
police fired their weapons just three times. And there were precisely zero
fatalities. - Vincent Graff in RT, 2014/11/8-14

Re: Is anybody else still using Win 7 here?

J. P. Gilliver (John)-3
On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 01:11:40, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 14:22:27, Sailfish
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>My bloviated meandering follows what J. P. Gilliver (John) graced us
>>with on 7/1/2020 10:46 AM:
>>> On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 06:13:46, Sailfish  <NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunf
>[]
>>>>
>>> alt.windows7.general is the one I use. However, I don't think GG
>>>carry  it - as they don't many 'groups. I think you're using
>>>giganews, and I  think they do.
>>
>>ah, I didn't actually have a general Usenet account since I only use
>>Mozilla's nntp server for most discussions and Google Groups (GG) for
>>others.
>>
>>It is as you stated, GG doesn't support any of the alt. groups. Also,
>>my ISP doesn't offer usenet and Giganews requires a subscription.
>>However, I was able to find a free service (http://news.aioe.org/)
>>that did include it and found the alt.windows7.general topic.
>>
>>Thx!
>>
>Ah. You can get a free one - for example from
>http://www.eternal-september.org/ ;  you seem to be using Thunderbird
[]
Oops! For some reason, I didn't see your second sentence there.

Of course, this show - like every other cop show on earth - massively
overstates the prevalence of violent crime: last year, in the whole of the UK,
police fired their weapons just three times. And there were precisely zero
fatalities. - Vincent Graff in RT, 2014/11/8-14

Re: Is anybody else still using Win 7 here?

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what J. P. Gilliver (John) graced us
with on 7/1/2020 5:11 PM:

> Ah. You can get a free one - for example from
> http://www.eternal-september.org/ ;  you seem to be using Thunderbird
> (though 2.0.0.24 is a _very_ old version! Should still be OK, though -
> usenet hadn't changed much for many years), which I think can have more
> than one news account. You'll find it much better than Google Groups -
> not only giving access to far more newsgroups, but a better user interface.

The only reason I'm still on an old TB is because Mozilla introduced a
regression starting 3.0 which made my use of the newsreader much less
useful. Specifically, I normally have my View>Thread setting to only
display unread threads to reduce the clutter. In 2.0.0.24 I can
copy/paste any part of a thread's Subject text in the search box and it
will then display all threads (read and unread) whose subject matches
that text. Thus, it is easy for me to then go back through the read
threads to looks at posts that had already been read and hidden.

I created a bug report but the Tbird team, then not officially part of
Mozilla, closed the report with WONTFIX admitting that it was a
regression but it was never meant to be a feature in the first place.
So, here I am, still using Tbird they way that makes it most productive
for me.

Note: I only use text rendering and not HTML so I'm not concerned about
malware.

--
Sailfish

Re: Is anybody else still using Win 7 here?

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what J. P. Gilliver (John) graced us
with on 7/1/2020 5:11 PM:

> Ah. You can get a free one - for example from
> http://www.eternal-september.org/

I picked the first one on this list.
https://greycoder.com/best-free-usenet-servers/

--
Sailfish

Sailfish wrote on 2/07/2020 10:41 AM:

> My bloviated meandering follows what J. P. Gilliver (John) graced us
> with on 7/1/2020 5:11 PM:
>>>
>> Ah. You can get a free one - for example from
>> http://www.eternal-september.org/ ;  you seem to be using Thunderbird
>> (though 2.0.0.24 is a _very_ old version! Should still be OK, though -
>> usenet hadn't changed much for many years), which I think can have
>> more than one news account. You'll find it much better than Google
>> Groups - not only giving access to far more newsgroups, but a better
>> user interface.
>
> The only reason I'm still on an old TB is because Mozilla introduced a
> regression starting 3.0 which made my use of the newsreader much less
> useful. Specifically, I normally have my View>Thread setting to only
> display unread threads to reduce the clutter. In 2.0.0.24 I can
> copy/paste any part of a thread's Subject text in the search box and it
> will then display all threads (read and unread) whose subject matches
> that text. Thus, it is easy for me to then go back through the read
> threads to looks at posts that had already been read and hidden.
>
> I created a bug report but the Tbird team, then not officially part of
> Mozilla, closed the report with WONTFIX admitting that it was a
> regression but it was never meant to be a feature in the first place.
> So, here I am, still using Tbird they way that makes it most productive
> for me.
>
> Note: I only use text rendering and not HTML so I'm not concerned about
> malware.

My SeaMonkey Suite is, supposedly, based on Mozilla Suite, from which
Firefox and Thunderbird branched.

SeaMonkey does *still* offers "View -> Threads -> Threads with Unread".
I guess this is the functionality that you say was removed in TB 3.0. ;-(
--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: Is anybody else still using Win 7 here?

Dave Royal
On 01 Jul 2020 14:22:27 -0700 Sailfish wrote:

>My bloviated meandering follows what J. P. Gilliver (John) graced us
>with on 7/1/2020 10:46 AM:
>
>ah, I didn't actually have a general Usenet account since I only use
>Mozilla's nntp server for most discussions and Google Groups (GG) for
>others.
>
>It is as you stated, GG doesn't support any of the alt. groups. Also, my
>ISP doesn't offer usenet and Giganews requires a subscription. However,
>I was able to find a free service (http://news.aioe.org/) that did
>include it and found the alt.windows7.general topic.

That's interesting. I didn't know g-groups didn't carry all text newsgroups.
It carries alt.os.linux.suse which I've followed for years. It there a
rule behind what they do and don't carry?

It's useful for posting links to.

--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Is anybody else still using Win 7 here?

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Dave Royal graced us with on
7/2/2020 12:33 AM:

> On 01 Jul 2020 14:22:27 -0700 Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what J. P. Gilliver (John) graced us
>> with on 7/1/2020 10:46 AM:
>>
>> ah, I didn't actually have a general Usenet account since I only use
>> Mozilla's nntp server for most discussions and Google Groups (GG) for
>> others.
>>
>> It is as you stated, GG doesn't support any of the alt. groups. Also, my
>> ISP doesn't offer usenet and Giganews requires a subscription. However,
>> I was able to find a free service (http://news.aioe.org/) that did
>> include it and found the alt.windows7.general topic.
>>
> That's interesting. I didn't know g-groups didn't carry all text newsgroups.
> It carries alt.os.linux.suse which I've followed for years. It there a
> rule behind what they do and don't carry?
>
> It's useful for posting links to.

Dave, dunno? I also was under the impression that they did as well.

--
Sailfish

Re: Is anybody else still using Win 7 here?

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 7/2/2020
12:14 AM:

> Sailfish wrote on 2/07/2020 10:41 AM:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what J. P. Gilliver (John) graced us
>> with on 7/1/2020 5:11 PM:
>>>>
>>> Ah. You can get a free one - for example from
>>> http://www.eternal-september.org/ ;  you seem to be using Thunderbird
>>> (though 2.0.0.24 is a _very_ old version! Should still be OK, though
>>> - usenet hadn't changed much for many years), which I think can have
>>> more than one news account. You'll find it much better than Google
>>> Groups - not only giving access to far more newsgroups, but a better
>>> user interface.
>>
>> The only reason I'm still on an old TB is because Mozilla introduced a
>> regression starting 3.0 which made my use of the newsreader much less
>> useful. Specifically, I normally have my View>Thread setting to only
>> display unread threads to reduce the clutter. In 2.0.0.24 I can
>> copy/paste any part of a thread's Subject text in the search box and
>> it will then display all threads (read and unread) whose subject
>> matches that text. Thus, it is easy for me to then go back through the
>> read threads to looks at posts that had already been read and hidden.
>>
>> I created a bug report but the Tbird team, then not officially part of
>> Mozilla, closed the report with WONTFIX admitting that it was a
>> regression but it was never meant to be a feature in the first place.
>> So, here I am, still using Tbird they way that makes it most
>> productive for me.
>>
>> Note: I only use text rendering and not HTML so I'm not concerned
>> about malware.
>>
> My SeaMonkey Suite is, supposedly, based on Mozilla Suite, from which
> Firefox and Thunderbird branched.
>
> SeaMonkey does *still* offers "View -> Threads -> Threads with Unread".
> I guess this is the functionality that you say was removed in TB 3.0. ;-(

Sorry for being unclear. The "View -> Threads -> Unread" wasn't the
problem and I suspect it may still remain in Tbird today? The regression
was the ability to set"View -> Threads -> Unread" but then to drag&drop
(dNd) the Subject text into the toolbar searchbox and have the hidden
read threads that match the subject searchbox text become unhidden. This
then allowed me to view and read the already read threads. Then, when I
was finished, I'd simply clear the searchbox and they disappear again.

Easier to just show it.
https://imgur.com/a/1dBuX7O

Top screenshot is my normal view. Bottom screen shot is what appears
after dNd'ing Subject text in searchbox.

--
Sailfish

Re: Is anybody else still using Win 7 here?

J. P. Gilliver (John)-3
On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 01:03:02, Sailfish
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>My bloviated meandering follows what Dave Royal graced us with on
>7/2/2020 12:33 AM:
>> On 01 Jul 2020 14:22:27 -0700 Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what J. P. Gilliver (John) graced us
>>>with on 7/1/2020 10:46 AM:
>>>
>>> ah, I didn't actually have a general Usenet account since I only use
>>>Mozilla's nntp server for most discussions and Google Groups (GG) for
>>>others.
>>>
>>> It is as you stated, GG doesn't support any of the alt. groups.
>>>Also, my  ISP doesn't offer usenet and Giganews requires a
>>>subscription. However,  I was able to find a free service
>>>(http://news.aioe.org/) that did  include it and found the
>>>alt.windows7.general topic.
>>>
>> That's interesting. I didn't know g-groups didn't carry all text
>>newsgroups.  It carries alt.os.linux.suse which I've followed for
>>years. It there a  rule behind what they do and don't carry?
>>  It's useful for posting links to.
>>
>Dave, dunno? I also was under the impression that they did as well.

AIUI, they carry the 'groups that were in existence at some specific
date - possibly he date they took over DejaNews. (Even that list may be
limited when it comes to alt.* 'groups.) They may add new 'groups
created in the "big 8" and possibly some other areas, but not new alt.*
'groups, which can be created with little control.

I think the date in question was before many if not all the Windows 7
'groups were created.

While no one was paying attention, weather reports became accurate and the
news became fiction. Did not see that coming. - Scott Adams, 2015

Sailfish wrote on 2/07/2020 6:26 PM:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 7/2/2020
> 12:14 AM:
>> Sailfish wrote on 2/07/2020 10:41 AM:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what J. P. Gilliver (John) graced us
>>> with on 7/1/2020 5:11 PM:

>>> The only reason I'm still on an old TB is because Mozilla introduced
>>> a regression starting 3.0 which made my use of the newsreader much
>>> less useful. Specifically, I normally have my View>Thread setting to
>>> only display unread threads to reduce the clutter. In 2.0.0.24 I can
>>> copy/paste any part of a thread's Subject text in the search box and
>>> it will then display all threads (read and unread) whose subject
>>> matches that text. Thus, it is easy for me to then go back through
>>> the read threads to looks at posts that had already been read and
>>> hidden.
>>>
>>> I created a bug report but the Tbird team, then not officially part
>>> of Mozilla, closed the report with WONTFIX admitting that it was a
>>> regression but it was never meant to be a feature in the first place.
>>> So, here I am, still using Tbird they way that makes it most
>>> productive for me.
>>>
>>> Note: I only use text rendering and not HTML so I'm not concerned
>>> about malware.
>>>
>> My SeaMonkey Suite is, supposedly, based on Mozilla Suite, from which
>> Firefox and Thunderbird branched.
>>
>> SeaMonkey does *still* offers "View -> Threads -> Threads with
>> Unread". I guess this is the functionality that you say was removed in
>> TB 3.0. ;-(
>
> Sorry for being unclear. The "View -> Threads -> Unread" wasn't the
> problem and I suspect it may still remain in Tbird today? The regression
> was the ability to set"View -> Threads -> Unread" but then to drag&drop
> (dNd) the Subject text into the toolbar searchbox and have the hidden
> read threads that match the subject searchbox text become unhidden. This
> then allowed me to view and read the already read threads. Then, when I
> was finished, I'd simply clear the searchbox and they disappear again.
>
> Easier to just show it.
> https://imgur.com/a/1dBuX7O
>
> Top screenshot is my normal view. Bottom screen shot is what appears
> after dNd'ing Subject text in searchbox.

O.K. .... To each their own!! ;-P
--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: Is anybody else still using Win 7 here?

The Real Bev
Yes, but I haven't opened it since I did my taxes in April.  Every time
I turn it on I have a batch of "essential" security updates, which I do.

--
Cheers, Bev
    It's true that Smokey Bear deserves praise for his

Re: Is anybody else still using Win 7 here?

J. P. Gilliver (John)-3
On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 12:15:34, The Real Bev <[hidden email]>
wrote:
>Yes, but I haven't opened it since I did my taxes in April.  Every time
>I turn it on I have a batch of "essential" security updates, which I
>do.

That seems very odd; support for W7 ceased in January, so assuming you
let all updates install, there shouldn't be many more (I didn't think
there were _any_, other than one to fix a bug the "final" January one
introduced!, but certainly not "a batch" "Every time".

(FWIW, I'm still using 7 - Home Premium, 32 bit, Classic Shell), and
intend to be for some time to come.)

The motto of the Royal Society is: 'Take nobody's word for it'. Scepticism has
value. - Brian Cox, RT 2015/3/14-20

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote on 3/07/2020 9:13 AM:

> On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 12:15:34, The Real Bev <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Yes, but I haven't opened it since I did my taxes in April.  Every
>> time I turn it on I have a batch of "essential" security updates,
>> which I do.
>>
> That seems very odd; support for W7 ceased in January, so assuming you
> let all updates install, there shouldn't be many more (I didn't think
> there were _any_, other than one to fix a bug the "final" January one
> introduced!, but certainly not "a batch" "Every time".
>
> (FWIW, I'm still using 7 - Home Premium, 32 bit, Classic Shell), and
> intend to be for some time to come.)

John, you're right, that updates for Windows 7 had ceased some time ago,
but, when this update was originally rolled out for Win 10 or Win 8.1 or
whatever, "they" decided that it could also fix a problem with Win7, so
released it, unannounced.

Today I'm showing just an optional update available, so, hopefully, the
advice offered by Don in m.s.seamonkey
(https://www.ghacks.net/2010/08/11/how-to-block-specific-updates-in-windows-update/)
might have done the trick!!