Re: Internet Connectivity and Work Offline Mode

Re: Internet Connectivity and Work Offline Mode

Valentin Gosu
Hi Valentin,

I'm CC-ing dev-tech-network
From what I can recall, these issues are known, and currently being worked
on. Bug 939318 might be of interest to you.

On 21 February 2014 00:02, Valentin Tsatskin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I’m an intern on the Firefox UX team. I’ve been working on ways we could
> improve the user experience for people who are having network related
> issues.
>
> I noticed that internet connectivity issues are not reported to the user
> and instead are given network related issues. For example, you do not have
> an active WiFi connection, try to access a site, and get a DNS error. This
> leads to us mis-diagnosing the problem to the user.
>
> I’ve done research into the problem, and turns out we do have the
> capabilities to do connectivity detection, however the feature is disabled
> due to the implementation not behaving how we want. In addition, there were
> cases where users would be stuck in “work offline” mode.
>
> You’ll find a further analysis of the problem here:
> https://people.mozilla.org/~vtsatskin/notes/Projects/Internet%20Connectivity/internet.connectivty
>
> I welcome any and all feedback to the document. I’m particularily looking
> for people experienced in the networking portions of our code base to see
> if there are any holes in the assumptions I’ve made.
>
> --
> Valentin Tsatskin
> User Experience Connoisseur in Training @ *Mozilla*

Re: Internet Connectivity and Work Offline Mode

Daniel Stenberg
On Fri, 21 Feb 2014, Valentin Gosu wrote:

> I welcome any and all feedback to the document. I’m particularily looking
> for people experienced in the networking portions of our code base to see if
> there are any holes in the assumptions I’ve made.

I think it would be very good to "once and for all" define what offline mode
really is supposed to do and how things should and shouldn't work when enabled
- then work on making sure everything actually works like that. And if setting
offline mode automatically is really ever a good idea. (I think not)

I also think actual internet connectivity and changes of its status should be
handled automatically and that's where I'm currently putting the focus of my
work (#939318).

--

  / daniel.haxx.se