Re: Importing bookmarks from html

Sogn Mill-Scout-2

>On 3/7/2014 Sogn Mill-Scout <[hidden email]> wrote:
>It occurs to me that FF does not store its bookmarks in an html file, but I don't know what file they are stored in. I'm thinking it may be the most recent .json file (in my case it's bookmarks-2014-03-05_95132.json). If so, would it accomplish my purpose to simply copy that file to wherever on the laptop the json files are stored, replacing the laptop version with my desktop PC version?
>
>[hidden email] wrote:
>Bookmarks (and history) are stored in places.sqlite, and json files are used as backups. To import a json file, use Import and Backup Restore Choose File. If you want the freshest possible copy of your bookmarks, first use Import and Backup Backup, to create a new json file. (Earlier, you said Firefox was giving you error messages involving "chrome".  That wasn't a reference to Google's browser -- "chrome" is used internally by Firefox to refer to Firefox's user interface.)
>
>David E. Ross wrote:
>For bookmarks, I would export from places.sqlite to an HTML file on the old machine, copy the HTML file to the new machine, and then import from the HTML file to places.sqlite on the new machine.  The import and export are handled by the Bookmarks Manager in your browser. Actually, I have done exactly what I describe here, quite successfully.

For various reasons I haven't got to doing this, but will likely try today. My concern is that "boxcars" (Sorry, I can't see an actual name) advises me to use the .json file, whereas David recommends using the .sqlite file. Unfortunately I understand Boxcar's instructions, and have backed up to a .json file, but I don't understand David's instructions about the .sqlite file. Neither Export nor Backup/Restore gives me access to .sqlite files. I don't know if David's method is better, but in any case I don't know how to do it.

Thanks for the explanation of the "chrome" messages.

Sogn

---

Re: Importing bookmarks from html

David E. Ross-3
On 3/17/2014 11:49 AM, Sogn Mill-Scout wrote:

>> On 3/7/2014 Sogn Mill-Scout <[hidden email]> wrote: It occurs to me
>> that FF does not store its bookmarks in an html file, but I don't
>> know what file they are stored in. I'm thinking it may be the most
>> recent .json file (in my case it's
>> bookmarks-2014-03-05_95132.json). If so, would it accomplish my
>> purpose to simply copy that file to wherever on the laptop the json
>> files are stored, replacing the laptop version with my desktop PC
>> version?
>>
>> [hidden email] wrote: Bookmarks (and history) are stored in
>> places.sqlite, and json files are used as backups. To import a json
>> file, use Import and Backup Restore Choose File. If you want the
>> freshest possible copy of your bookmarks, first use Import and
>> Backup Backup, to create a new json file. (Earlier, you said
>> Firefox was giving you error messages involving "chrome".  That
>> wasn't a reference to Google's browser -- "chrome" is used
>> internally by Firefox to refer to Firefox's user interface.)
>>
>> David E. Ross wrote: For bookmarks, I would export from
>> places.sqlite to an HTML file on the old machine, copy the HTML
>> file to the new machine, and then import from the HTML file to
>> places.sqlite on the new machine.  The import and export are
>> handled by the Bookmarks Manager in your browser. Actually, I have
>> done exactly what I describe here, quite successfully.
>
> For various reasons I haven't got to doing this, but will likely try
> today. My concern is that "boxcars" (Sorry, I can't see an actual
> name) advises me to use the .json file, whereas David recommends
> using the .sqlite file. Unfortunately I understand Boxcar's
> instructions, and have backed up to a .json file, but I don't
> understand David's instructions about the .sqlite file. Neither
> Export nor Backup/Restore gives me access to .sqlite files. I don't
> know if David's method is better, but in any case I don't know how to
> do it.
>
> Thanks for the explanation of the "chrome" messages.
>
> Sogn

1.  On the SeaMonkey menu bar on the source computer, select [Bookmarks
> Manage Bookmarks].

2.  On the Bookmarks Manager window menu bar, select [Tools > Export
HTML].

3.  On the Export Bookmarks HTML window, navigate to where you want to
save the exported bookmarks, give the name you want for the exported
file, and select the Save button.  At this point, the Bookmarks Manager
will automatically find places.sqlite for you and create an HTML file
containing your bookmarks (but NOT your history).

4.  Move the exported HTML file to your target computer, where I assume
you have already installed your browser.

5.  On the SeaMonkey menu bar on the target computer,  select [Bookmarks
> Manage Bookmarks].

6.  On the Bookmarks Manager window menu bar, select [Tools > Import
HTML].

7.  On the Import Wizard window, select the File radio button and then
the Next> button.

8.  On the Import Bookmarks File window, navigate to where on the target
computer you placed the HTML file you exported from the source computer,
select the file, and then select the Open button.  At this point, the
Bookmarks Manager will automatically find places.sqlite and add the
bookmarks from the exported file to it.

--
David E. Ross

The Crimea is Putin's Sudetenland.
The Ukraine will be Putin's Czechoslovakia.
See <http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_PutinUkraine.html>.

Re: Importing bookmarks from html

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
"David E. Ross" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 3/7/2014 Sogn Mill-Scout <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> It occurs to me that FF does not store its bookmarks in an html
                          ^^
[big snip]

> 1.  On the SeaMonkey menu bar on the source computer, select
> [Bookmarks Manage Bookmarks].

With Firefox, it's Bookmarks » Show All Bookmarks

> 2.  On the Bookmarks Manager window menu bar, select [Tools > Export
> HTML].

You lose some metadata that way.  E.g., importing from an html file
will not put the bookmarks which belong on the bookmarks bar there.
Using json instead of html doesn't have that problem.

Re: Importing bookmarks from html

Desiree-11
On 3/17/2014 8:49 AM, Sogn Mill-Scout wrote:

>>On 3/7/2014 Sogn Mill-Scout <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>It occurs to me that FF does not store its bookmarks in an html file, but I don't know what file they are stored in. I'm thinking it may be the most recent .json file (in my case it's bookmarks-2014-03-05_95132.json). If so, would it accomplish my purpose to simply copy that file to wherever on the laptop the json files are stored, replacing the laptop version with my desktop PC version?
>>
>>[hidden email] wrote:
>>Bookmarks (and history) are stored in places.sqlite, and json files are used as backups. To import a json file, use Import and Backup Restore Choose File. If you want the freshest possible copy of your bookmarks, first use Import and Backup Backup, to create a new json file. (Earlier, you said Firefox was giving you error messages involving "chrome".  That wasn't a reference to Google's browser -- "chrome" is used internally by Firefox to refer to Firefox's user interface.)
>>
>>David E. Ross wrote:
>>For bookmarks, I would export from places.sqlite to an HTML file on the old machine, copy the HTML file to the new machine, and then import from the HTML file to places.sqlite on the new machine.  The import and export are handled by the Bookmarks Manager in your browser. Actually, I have done exactly what I describe here, quite successfully.
>
> For various reasons I haven't got to doing this, but will likely try today. My concern is that "boxcars" (Sorry, I can't see an actual name) advises me to use the .json file, whereas David recommends using the .sqlite file. Unfortunately I understand Boxcar's instructions, and have backed up to a .json file, but I don't understand David's instructions about the .sqlite file. Neither Export nor Backup/Restore gives me access to .sqlite files. I don't know if David's method is better, but in any case I don't know how to do it.
>
> Thanks for the explanation of the "chrome" messages.
>
> Sogn
>

> ---

Just use (under Import and Backup on the Fx Library page) "export
bookmarks to HTML" on your desktop computer and save the file in a
shared folder. Then, on your laptop, use "import bookmarks from HTML"
and choose the file you placed in the shared folder.  It's been this way
forever with Fx.  I've done it many times over the years.

Re: Importing bookmarks from html

J. P. Gilliver (John)
In message <[hidden email]>, Desiree
<[hidden email]> writes:
[]
>Just use (under Import and Backup on the Fx Library page) "export
>bookmarks to HTML" on your desktop computer and save the file in a
>shared folder. Then, on your laptop, use "import bookmarks from HTML"
>and choose the file you placed in the shared folder.  It's been this
>way forever with Fx.  I've done it many times over the years.

Not forever; there was a time when they were actually stored in an HTML
file all the time. I never understood the reason for the change, though
I've never asked until now.

Often at work I wish they'd pay me what I'm worth, but sometimes I'm glad they
don't. (BrritSki, in uk.media.radio.archers, on 2000-12-25.)

Re: Importing bookmarks from html

Ed Mullen-9
Sogn Mill-Scout wrote:

>> On 3/7/2014 Sogn Mill-Scout <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It occurs to me that FF does not store its bookmarks in an html file, but I don't know what file they are stored in. I'm thinking it may be the most recent .json file (in my case it's bookmarks-2014-03-05_95132.json). If so, would it accomplish my purpose to simply copy that file to wherever on the laptop the json files are stored, replacing the laptop version with my desktop PC version?
>>
>> [hidden email] wrote:
>> Bookmarks (and history) are stored in places.sqlite, and json files are used as backups. To import a json file, use Import and Backup Restore Choose File. If you want the freshest possible copy of your bookmarks, first use Import and Backup Backup, to create a new json file. (Earlier, you said Firefox was giving you error messages involving "chrome".  That wasn't a reference to Google's browser -- "chrome" is used internally by Firefox to refer to Firefox's user interface.)
>>
>> David E. Ross wrote:
>> For bookmarks, I would export from places.sqlite to an HTML file on the old machine, copy the HTML file to the new machine, and then import from the HTML file to places.sqlite on the new machine.  The import and export are handled by the Bookmarks Manager in your browser. Actually, I have done exactly what I describe here, quite successfully.
>
> For various reasons I haven't got to doing this, but will likely try today. My concern is that "boxcars" (Sorry, I can't see an actual name) advises me to use the .json file, whereas David recommends using the .sqlite file. Unfortunately I understand Boxcar's instructions, and have backed up to a .json file, but I don't understand David's instructions about the .sqlite file. Neither Export nor Backup/Restore gives me access to .sqlite files. I don't know if David's method is better, but in any case I don't know how to do it.
>
> Thanks for the explanation of the "chrome" messages.
>
> Sogn
>

> ---

What am I missing here?  Why not just copy the places.sqlite file?  I do
it all the time to keep profiles on different machines up to date.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: Importing bookmarks from html

WaltS48
On 03/18/2014 11:08 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:

> Sogn Mill-Scout wrote:
>>
>>> On 3/7/2014 Sogn Mill-Scout <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> It occurs to me that FF does not store its bookmarks in an html file,
>>> but I don't know what file they are stored in. I'm thinking it may be
>>> the most recent .json file (in my case it's
>>> bookmarks-2014-03-05_95132.json). If so, would it accomplish my
>>> purpose to simply copy that file to wherever on the laptop the json
>>> files are stored, replacing the laptop version with my desktop PC
>>> version?
>>>
>>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>> Bookmarks (and history) are stored in places.sqlite, and json files
>>> are used as backups. To import a json file, use Import and Backup
>>> Restore Choose File. If you want the freshest possible copy of your
>>> bookmarks, first use Import and Backup Backup, to create a new json
>>> file. (Earlier, you said Firefox was giving you error messages
>>> involving "chrome".  That wasn't a reference to Google's browser --
>>> "chrome" is used internally by Firefox to refer to Firefox's user
>>> interface.)
>>>
>>> David E. Ross wrote:
>>> For bookmarks, I would export from places.sqlite to an HTML file on
>>> the old machine, copy the HTML file to the new machine, and then
>>> import from the HTML file to places.sqlite on the new machine.  The
>>> import and export are handled by the Bookmarks Manager in your
>>> browser. Actually, I have done exactly what I describe here, quite
>>> successfully.
>>
>> For various reasons I haven't got to doing this, but will likely try
>> today. My concern is that "boxcars" (Sorry, I can't see an actual
>> name) advises me to use the .json file, whereas David recommends using
>> the .sqlite file. Unfortunately I understand Boxcar's instructions,
>> and have backed up to a .json file, but I don't understand David's
>> instructions about the .sqlite file. Neither Export nor Backup/Restore
>> gives me access to .sqlite files. I don't know if David's method is
>> better, but in any case I don't know how to do it.
>>
>> Thanks for the explanation of the "chrome" messages.
>>
>> Sogn
>>

> What am I missing here?  Why not just copy the places.sqlite file?  I do
> it all the time to keep profiles on different machines up to date.

I would use Sync for that if I had different machines.

So many ways to accomplish a task.

--
It is March Madness
GO PITT!

At 11:08 AM, 3/18/2014, Tuesday, Ed Mullen wrote:

>What am I missing here? Why not just copy the places.sqlite file? I do it all the time to keep profiles on different machines up to date.

My thanks to all who posted messages to help me in the process (Desiree, J. P. Gilliver, "boxcar," David Ross), but in the end, after some bungling, I used Ed's simple method of copying places.sqlite over to the laptop, replacing the one there. Presto! The laptop FF was a perfect duplicate of the one on the old computer. Thanks, Ed. :-)

Sogn

---

Sogn Mill-Scout wrote:

> At 11:08 AM, 3/18/2014, Tuesday, Ed Mullen wrote:
>
>> What am I missing here? Why not just copy the places.sqlite file? I
>> do it all the time to keep profiles on different machines up to
>> date.
>
> My thanks to all who posted messages to help me in the process
> (Desiree, J. P. Gilliver, "boxcar," David Ross), but in the end,
> after some bungling, I used Ed's simple method of copying
> places.sqlite over to the laptop, replacing the one there. Presto!
> The laptop FF was a perfect duplicate of the one on the old computer.
> Thanks, Ed. :-)
>
> Sogn
>

> --- This email is free from viruses and malware because avast!
> Antivirus protection is active. http://www.avast.com

Glad I could help.  Sometimes the simplest answer is not the first one
that comes to mind.  ;-)

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: Importing bookmarks from html

The Real Bev
On 03/17/2014 11:51 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> In message <[hidden email]>, Desiree
> <[hidden email]> writes:
> []
>>Just use (under Import and Backup on the Fx Library page) "export
>>bookmarks to HTML" on your desktop computer and save the file in a
>>shared folder. Then, on your laptop, use "import bookmarks from HTML"
>>and choose the file you placed in the shared folder.  It's been this
>>way forever with Fx.  I've done it many times over the years.
>
> Not forever; there was a time when they were actually stored in an HTML
> file all the time. I never understood the reason for the change, though
> I've never asked until now.

I still don't.  I use the DELIBERATELY CREATED html file as my home page
on every device I have with a browser.  Why would anyone use anything else?

--
Cheers, Bev
=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=

Re: Importing bookmarks from html

F1Com
On 4/27/2014 5:14 PM On a whim, The Real Bev pounded out on the keyboard

> On 03/17/2014 11:51 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>
>> In message<[hidden email]>, Desiree
>> <[hidden email]>  writes:
>> []
>>> Just use (under Import and Backup on the Fx Library page) "export
>>> bookmarks to HTML" on your desktop computer and save the file in a
>>> shared folder. Then, on your laptop, use "import bookmarks from HTML"
>>> and choose the file you placed in the shared folder.  It's been this
>>> way forever with Fx.  I've done it many times over the years.
>> Not forever; there was a time when they were actually stored in an HTML
>> file all the time. I never understood the reason for the change, though
>> I've never asked until now.
>
> I still don't.  I use the DELIBERATELY CREATED html file as my home page
> on every device I have with a browser.  Why would anyone use anything else?

Because a search engine can find what I'm looking for in a few
keystrokes.  I never save pages as bookmarks any more.

The Real Bev <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/17/2014 11:51 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

[about bookmarks]
> > Not forever; there was a time when they were actually stored in an
> > HTML file all the time. I never understood the reason for the
> > change, though I've never asked until now.
>
> I still don't.

It was mostly to benefit me -- thanks to the change, I no longer have
to read piles of "Firefox lost all my bookmarks" posts.  ;)

The other big benefit to storing them in a database is its
query-ability, which makes the so-called awesomebar work.

> I use the DELIBERATELY CREATED html file as my home
> page on every device I have with a browser.  Why would anyone use
> anything else?

For me, it's a lot easier to find bookmarks by typing something in the
address bar.  I rarely have to use the bookmarks menu, let alone search
a giant faux-html page to get to bookmarks.

Re: Importing bookmarks from html

Ron Hunter
On 4/28/2014 1:28 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 4/27/2014 5:14 PM On a whim, The Real Bev pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> On 03/17/2014 11:51 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>
>>> In message<[hidden email]>, Desiree
>>> <[hidden email]>  writes:
>>> []
>>> Not forever; there was a time when they were actually stored in an HTML
>>> file all the time. I never understood the reason for the change, though
>>> I've never asked until now.
>>
>> I still don't.  I use the DELIBERATELY CREATED html file as my home page
>> on every device I have with a browser.  Why would anyone use anything
>> else?
>>

> Because a search engine can find what I'm looking for in a few
> keystrokes.  I never save pages as bookmarks any more.

I only save bookmarks to something I know I will need to return to often.