Re: How to filter based upon NNTP Posting Host?

Re: How to filter based upon NNTP Posting Host?

Brian Brunner
George wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 16:06:02 -0400, Brian Brunner
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
>>

>>>Perhaps you missed it.  Buried somewhere in my reference to alternatives
>>>was an implication that as far as I know there's no way to do what you
>>>wish with Netscape/Mozilla.
>>
>>That appears to be the case...

>>>I'm not familiar with UDP in that context.  To me UDP is a protocol.
>>
>>Usenet Death Penalty: when an ISP refuses to forward anything from a
>>particular site ...  when a large set of sites impose the UDP, the
>>offending site is effectively disconnected from usenet.  Their customers
>>can't be seen or hear, and have to switch ISPs to get back on usenet.
>>This is pressure on the offending site to stop offending.
>>
> Confusing "ISP" with "NNTP server"?

Not really, to the subscriber it's an ISP (a corporation), and the ISP
is the accomplice after-the-fact to the scatothiest troll I want to
ignore.  However, the ISP (corporation) doesn't figure in the headers
anywhere, while the NNTP-Posting-Host (IP address) does.

Clay wrote:

> fwiw...
> I created a filter for one of the posters in this thread:
> version="8"
> logging="yes"
> name="Montessi"
> enabled="yes"
> type="4"
> action="Delete"
> condition="OR (from,contains,Montessi)"
>

> shutdown TB, deleted msf, open TB, and Montessi was no longer present in
> the thread.
> removed the filter and repeated above, Montessi was back.
> since Montessi is not present in the address, I assume it's filtering by
> the posted 'name'.
> ymmv...

I've been under the impression that the filter resided in the msf
file... but if deleting the msf file then allowed the filter to be
applied to the group, where was the filter written?

Re: How to filter based upon NNTP Posting Host?

Leonidas Jones
Brian Brunner wrote:

> Clay wrote:
>> fwiw...
>> I created a filter for one of the posters in this thread:
>> version="8"
>> logging="yes"
>> name="Montessi"
>> enabled="yes"
>> type="4"
>> action="Delete"
>> condition="OR (from,contains,Montessi)"
>>

>> shutdown TB, deleted msf, open TB, and Montessi was no longer present
>> in the thread.
>> removed the filter and repeated above, Montessi was back.
>> since Montessi is not present in the address, I assume it's filtering
>> by the posted 'name'.
>> ymmv...
>
> I've been under the impression that the filter resided in the msf
> file... but if deleting the msf file then allowed the filter to be
> applied to the group, where was the filter written?

Its in msgFilterRules.dat, which is in the account folder of your Mail
folder in your profile folder.

Lee

Re: How to filter based upon NNTP Posting Host?

Mark Lloyd
On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:07:02 -0400, Brian Brunner
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>George wrote:
>> On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 16:06:02 -0400, Brian Brunner
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>>That appears to be the case...

>>>Usenet Death Penalty: when an ISP refuses to forward anything from a
>>>particular site ...  when a large set of sites impose the UDP, the
>>>offending site is effectively disconnected from usenet.  Their customers
>>>can't be seen or hear, and have to switch ISPs to get back on usenet.
>>>This is pressure on the offending site to stop offending.
>>>
>> Confusing "ISP" with "NNTP server"?
>
>Not really, to the subscriber it's an ISP (a corporation), and the ISP
>is the accomplice after-the-fact to the scatothiest troll I want to
>ignore.  However, the ISP (corporation) doesn't figure in the headers
>anywhere, while the NNTP-Posting-Host (IP address) does.

Of course it's not the server itself, but the corporation running it.
It's still possible to use a NNTP server that has nothing to do with
any internet connection provider. From looking at the headers in this,
you should be able to see that I'm not posting from a ISP (neither is
George, who you were replying to). The ISP just passes the traffic.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com