Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

The Real Bev
Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

> Azureus is just butt ugly.  And a resource hog.  And, yes, prone to
> lockup your system.  It is the worst java application I know of and I
> use a few.  I use bittorrent-curses.  Almost zarro overhead.

I was going to use the real bittorrent, but it demanded newer libraries
and I decided to forget that until I upgrade to slack 12.  Limewire does
torrents now -- no information, it just works.  No slower than azureus,
though.  I assume that's a function of how popular a given item is -- a
few things have taken weeks to finish.

>> Well, not quite -- I've got about 500K of stuff in lost+found, some
>> going back to 2004 if the dates can be trusted.  I looked at some of it
>> with hexedit, but nothing useful turned up.  My inclination is to just
>> delete it and hope for the best, but way in the back of my mind there's
>> a whiny little voice saying "But what if you NEEEEEEEED it later?"
>
> Yep.  /lost+found is a mixed blessing.  I usually do a head on each file
> and if it's text I'll try to salvage it.  You could use mc for this I
> suppose.  500K isn't a lot to scan through.
>
>> If a file gets damaged, does the date stay the same as it was or can
>> that be corrupted too?
>
> I wouldn't trust the date, but it may be relative.  I once had a crash
> where my computer clock had been set back to the beginning of unix time.
>
>> Very mysterious.  Is it the hardware or the software or just that I
>> didn't celebrate Xmas properly?
>
> Dunno...   Do you use smartctl or smartd to check your disks?

No.  Damn, how do you find these things?  More reading... Back when I
was just a sprout I'd browse through the executable subdirectories to
see what was there.  Linux has WAYYYYY more commands than DOS, and
they're hidden in a lot more places, which gives me an excellent excuse
to go take a nap.

 > Did you
> see anything strange in /var/log*?  I'd wager 80/20 that it is hardware,
> but sometimes the software pushes the hardware into tilt mode.  Usually
> IRQ though.

No, I didn't even think of it at the time.  If it didn't boot, would it
write to a logfile?

>> OTOH, I like my new monitor.
>
> I bought a Sony 19" LCD a while back.  Very happy with it.  It works
> quite nicely with my ATI graphics card and evil proprietary driver :-)

During the previous fscking some of the error messages involved nvidia,
so I guess the evil is shared.  Sony is eviller than ATI, though.  On
several levels.

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Gus Richter
Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

>>> Fsck is an actual *nix command for file system check.  On the other
>>> hand, some sysadmins in interactive blogs regularly delete the term
>>> "ho", since context cannot be determined.
>> A possible double whammy, as it were.  OTOH, have you seen 'Bad Santa'?
>>
>> So what's the proper pronunciation?  I avoid saying the command aloud
>> for fear of exposing my ignorance even though I am unlikely to be
>> speaking to anyone who would be in a position to correct me.
>
> See "Pronunciations" in this article:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsck
>
> Rinaldi

I vote for the last one.

--
Gus

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

squaredancer
On 28.12.2007 02:43, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Rinaldi J.
Montessi to generate the following:? :

> The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

>>> Fsck is an actual *nix command for file system check.  On the other
>>> hand, some sysadmins in interactive blogs regularly delete the term
>>> "ho", since context cannot be determined.
>>>
>> A possible double whammy, as it were.  OTOH, have you seen 'Bad Santa'?
>>
>> So what's the proper pronunciation?  I avoid saying the command aloud
>> for fear of exposing my ignorance even though I am unlikely to be
>> speaking to anyone who would be in a position to correct me.
>>

> See "Pronunciations" in this article:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsck
>
> Rinaldi

*lol*

I just *love* this statement there (lines 3/4)
QUOTE:
indicating a non-graceful shutdown, such as a crash or power loss.
UNQUOTE

reg

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Rinaldi J. Montessi-4
The Real Bev wrote:
-------------------
>> Dunno...   Do you use smartctl or smartd to check your disks?
>
> No.  Damn, how do you find these things?  More reading... Back when I
> was just a sprout I'd browse through the executable subdirectories to
> see what was there.  Linux has WAYYYYY more commands than DOS, and
> they're hidden in a lot more places, which gives me an excellent excuse
> to go take a nap.

Smartctl is pretty helpful in identifying disks going bad.  Smartd is a
daemon that can be used for self testing disks at periodic intervals.
/etc/smartd.conf is very well commented to help get you started.

Also, if you add  *.*     /dev/tty9 to the tail end of /etc/syslog.conf
it will echo everything going on to tty9 which should be free unless you
run 3 X sessions at once.  Restart rc.syslog.  You reach tty9 the same
as any other - ctrl+alt+f*

>  > Did you
>> see anything strange in /var/log*?  I'd wager 80/20 that it is hardware,
>> but sometimes the software pushes the hardware into tilt mode.  Usually
>> IRQ though.
>
> No, I didn't even think of it at the time.  If it didn't boot, would it
> write to a logfile?

No, maybe, depends, but it may have given some info as to what was
happening prior to shutdown/lockup whatever.

>>> OTOH, I like my new monitor.
>>
>> I bought a Sony 19" LCD a while back.  Very happy with it.  It works
>> quite nicely with my ATI graphics card and evil proprietary driver :-)
>
> During the previous fscking some of the error messages involved nvidia,
> so I guess the evil is shared.  Sony is eviller than ATI, though.  On
> several levels.

Nvidia is double evil.  Not only proprietary but binary.  What's with
Sony?

Run memtest86 lately?

Rinaldi
--
"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it
flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night, the ice weasels come."

squaredancer wrote:

> On 28.12.2007 02:43, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Rinaldi J.
> Montessi to generate the following:? :
>> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> A possible double whammy, as it were.  OTOH, have you seen 'Bad Santa'?
>>>
>>> So what's the proper pronunciation?  I avoid saying the command aloud
>>> for fear of exposing my ignorance even though I am unlikely to be
>>> speaking to anyone who would be in a position to correct me.
>>>

>> See "Pronunciations" in this article:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsck
>>
>> Rinaldi
>>

> *lol*
>
> I just *love* this statement there (lines 3/4)
> QUOTE:
> indicating a non-graceful shutdown, such as a crash or power loss.
> UNQUOTE

Use of a journaling file system just about obsoletes fsck, but in severe
cases an ext3 fs can be mounted as ext2 and fsck'd.

Rinaldi
--
Why does man kill?  He kills for food.  And not only food: frequently
there must be a beverage.

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

PhillipJones
The Real Bev wrote:

> squaredancer wrote:
>
>> Rinaldi wrote:
>
>>> Are we gossiping? Your ears burning Bev?
>>
>> Bev doesn't have ears - she uses Linux
>
> Whoosh!  A penguin reference, perhaps?  OK, I give up!

According recent commercials on TV the little birds give Polar Bears
Coca-Cola to Drink. :-)

Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> During the previous fscking some of the error messages involved nvidia,
>> so I guess the evil is shared.  Sony is eviller than ATI, though.  On
>> several levels.
>
> Nvidia is double evil.  Not only proprietary but binary.  What's with
> Sony?

You don't remember the CDs (or DVDs) that came with the extra added
feature at no extra charge of adding a rootkit if you played them on
your computer?

Plus their quality has been dropping for years.  Granted, nobody bothers
to repair VCRs now, but it was different several years ago and there was
no point in even trying because the non-replaceable plastic internals
just broke.  Sure you can build crap, but don't try to make us believe
that it's high-quality crap.

> Run memtest86 lately?

Is that the new version?

The Real Bev wrote:
> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

>> Nvidia is double evil.  Not only proprietary but binary.  What's with
>> Sony?
>
> You don't remember the CDs (or DVDs) that came with the extra added
> feature at no extra charge of adding a rootkit if you played them on
> your computer?

No.  I buy only blank CD's and DVD's, and have had good luck with Memorex.

>> Run memtest86 lately?
>
> Is that the new version?

http://www.memtest86.com/

Rinaldi
--
Your life would be very empty if you had nothing to regret.

Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
>
>>> Nvidia is double evil.  Not only proprietary but binary.  What's with
>>> Sony?
>>
>> You don't remember the CDs (or DVDs) that came with the extra added
>> feature at no extra charge of adding a rootkit if you played them on
>> your computer?
>
> No.  I buy only blank CD's and DVD's, and have had good luck with Memorex.

Prerecorded movies or music.  Play one on your computer and get hosed.
Well, that's if you ran windows, of course...  When they got caught they
handed out free removal software.  Not certain what the lawyers got.

>>> Run memtest86 lately?
>>
>> Is that the new version?
>
> http://www.memtest86.com/

I remember using that a long time ago...

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Alex K.-4
The Real Bev wrote:

> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>> You don't remember the CDs (or DVDs) that came with the extra added
>>> feature at no extra charge of adding a rootkit if you played them on
>>> your computer?
>> No.  I buy only blank CD's and DVD's, and have had good luck with Memorex.
>
> Prerecorded movies or music.  Play one on your computer and get hosed.
> Well, that's if you ran windows, of course...  When they got caught they
> handed out free removal software.  Not certain what the lawyers got.

Thats one reason I don't buy music anymore, I'll listen to the radio.
So far, I don't think they've figured out how to rootkit my radio.  ;-)

Here's industry's latest money-grabbing attempt:
http://www.betanews.com/article/Congress_to_debate_lifting_broadcast_radios_royalty_exemption/1198106350
"Congress to debate lifting broadcast radio's royalty exemption"

They, as in the music labels, want to start charging radio stations
performance royalties for playing their music, which the stations have
traditionally been exempt from paying.

Now, what happens when a station plays a song?

Yes, they are "entertaining" their audience, but, at the same time, they
are *advertising* that song/performer for the label.  The labels take
that advertising very seriously, as evidenced by the payola scandals.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=1600966
"100s of Radio Stations in Payola Probe
FCC Commissioner: Evidence of 'Systematic Betrayal of the Responsibility
of Broadcasters'"

So, my suggestion is that, if this goes forward, and they are required
to pay performance royalties, then the stations should be allowed to
charge the labels for advertising, based on the total airtime consumed
by each label.  Of course, to avoid the payola situation, the labels
would have no say in the stations choice of music or timing.

Seems like a win/win situation to me.  The labels get what they want, an
increase in their royalty income, and the stations get to increase their
advertising income.  No need to be one-sided about it, fair is fair,
after all.

--
Alex K.

Alex K. wrote:

> So, my suggestion is that, if this goes forward, and they are required
> to pay performance royalties, then the stations should be allowed to
> charge the labels for advertising, based on the total airtime consumed
> by each label.  Of course, to avoid the payola situation, the labels
> would have no say in the stations choice of music or timing.
>
> Seems like a win/win situation to me.  The labels get what they want, an
> increase in their royalty income, and the stations get to increase their
> advertising income.  No need to be one-sided about it, fair is fair,
> after all.

...and save six for pallbearers.  There hasn't been any music worth
listening to since the Beatles came in anyway.

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

sean.bean
The Real Bev wrote:

> Alex K. wrote:
>
>> So, my suggestion is that, if this goes forward, and they are required
>> to pay performance royalties, then the stations should be allowed to
>> charge the labels for advertising, based on the total airtime consumed
>> by each label.  Of course, to avoid the payola situation, the labels
>> would have no say in the stations choice of music or timing.
>>
>> Seems like a win/win situation to me.  The labels get what they want, an
>> increase in their royalty income, and the stations get to increase their
>> advertising income.  No need to be one-sided about it, fair is fair,
>> after all.
>
> ...and save six for pallbearers.  There hasn't been any music worth
> listening to since the Beatles came in anyway.

whew... thought you might say since lawrence welk was on... although i
do miss "polk varieties" a cleveland area show...

sean bean wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> Alex K. wrote:
>>
>>> So, my suggestion is that, if this goes forward, and they are required
>>> to pay performance royalties, then the stations should be allowed to
>>> charge the labels for advertising, based on the total airtime consumed
>>> by each label.  Of course, to avoid the payola situation, the labels
>>> would have no say in the stations choice of music or timing.
>>>
>>> Seems like a win/win situation to me.  The labels get what they want, an
>>> increase in their royalty income, and the stations get to increase their
>>> advertising income.  No need to be one-sided about it, fair is fair,
>>> after all.
>>
>> ...and save six for pallbearers.  There hasn't been any music worth
>> listening to since the Beatles came in anyway.
>>
> whew... thought you might say since lawrence welk was on... although i
> do miss "polk varieties" a cleveland area show...

Didn't the Schmenge Brothers do something like that on SCTV?

As far as I'm concerned, the Beatles took all the fun out of popular
music and it's been dreck ever since.  Not that there wasn't dreck
before, of course...

The Real Bev wrote:

> As far as I'm concerned, the Beatles took all the fun out of popular
> music and it's been dreck ever since.  Not that there wasn't dreck
> before, of course...

Funny,  I often thought the same thing.  Although their body of work
does contain some very good stuff.

Rinaldi
--
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on.
                -- Carl Sandburg

The Real Bev wrote:

> sean bean wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> ...and save six for pallbearers.  There hasn't been any music worth
>>> listening to since the Beatles came in anyway.
>>>
>> whew... thought you might say since lawrence welk was on... although i
>> do miss "polk varieties" a cleveland area show...
>
> Didn't the Schmenge Brothers do something like that on SCTV?
>
> As far as I'm concerned, the Beatles took all the fun out of popular
> music and it's been dreck ever since.  Not that there wasn't dreck
> before, of course...

dunno...  about the Schmenge Brothers... and i meant to say "Polka
Varieties" up above... which was a Cleveland area show... which might
have been popular in Chicago as well...

popular music has hits and lots of misses... good old brit-popper Robbie
Williams is holding my attention lately...

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Jay Garcia
On 23.01.2008 09:18, Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

>> As far as I'm concerned, the Beatles took all the fun out of popular
>> music and it's been dreck ever since.  Not that there wasn't dreck
>> before, of course...
>
> Funny,  I often thought the same thing.  Although their body of work
> does contain some very good stuff.
>
> Rinaldi

Problem with the Beatles is that you don't think you're all that old
until you realize that Ringo Starr is 67 yo. :-(

--
Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

goodwin-4
On 1/23/2008 5:38 PM Jay Garcia scribbled:

> Problem with the Beatles is that you don't think you're all that old
> until you realize that Ringo Starr is 67 yo. :-(

Thanks a bunch for that, Jay

Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 23.01.2008 09:18, Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

Speaking of 67, that's the year I bought my first Hofner bass because
that was the brand Paul used ;-)  Time flies.

Rinaldi
--
When God endowed human beings with brains, He did not intend to
guarantee them.

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

squaredancer
On 24.01.2008 02:38, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Jay Garcia to
generate the following:? :

> On 23.01.2008 09:18, Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

yeah - still a kid, eh!

reg

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

caver1-3
squaredancer wrote:

> On 24.01.2008 02:38, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Jay Garcia to
> generate the following:? :
>> On 23.01.2008 09:18, Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

That makes me think of a neighbor of mine. He had
to quit mowing his hill at the age of 94. Balance
wouldn't let him so in his words he " hired a kid"
to do it for him. The kid was 65.
caver1