Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

squaredancer
On 26.12.2007 01:30, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  The Real Bev
to generate the following:? :

> Follow-up set to mozilla.general.
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
>

>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>

>>> Be a sport.  Contribute to internet happiness.  Use plain text unless
>>> you really NEED brightly-colored wiggly things to express your thoughts.
>>>
>> nobody in my address book knows the difference in html or plain text
>> e'mail... none of my family have a clue... well maybe one programmer
>> cousin of mine... but he ONLY sends out graphics heavy html mail...
>>
>> this strange "plain text" contingent is attempting to deny the reality
>> of the evolution of e'mail and the web...
>>

> This thread was previously moved to mozilla.general.  Pay attention.

yes - by a belligerent nit-wit, who was NOT the OP and who has NO IDEA
as to why this topic, thread and subthread are in this location to start
with!

reg

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

The Real Bev
squaredancer wrote:

> On 26.12.2007 01:30, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  The Real Bev
> to generate the following:? :
>> Follow-up set to mozilla.general.
>>
>> [hidden email] wrote:

>>> nobody in my address book knows the difference in html or plain text
>>> e'mail... none of my family have a clue... well maybe one programmer
>>> cousin of mine... but he ONLY sends out graphics heavy html mail...
>>>
>>> this strange "plain text" contingent is attempting to deny the reality
>>> of the evolution of e'mail and the web...
>>
>> This thread was previously moved to mozilla.general.  Pay attention.
>
> yes - by a belligerent nit-wit, who was NOT the OP and who has NO IDEA
> as to why this topic, thread and subthread are in this location to start
> with!

Come on, where's your holiday spirit?  What did you get for your
holiday-of-choice (a holiday without gifts being a very poor choice
indeed)?  I have a new monitor, which I might keep -- it's the 22"
Envision from Best Buy and it's flickered among the various
color-temperature settings several times.  Other than that, it's a fine
monitor and I really like it.

OTOH, my HD simulated a crash yesterday, which problem has required far
more fscking than any human wants to do.  I've mostly recovered by going
back to my previous drive and copying everything >20071212 from the
crashed drive, but I'm VERY tired.

Ho ho fscking ho.

Hear about the tiger in San Francisco?  I'm surprised they haven't
questioned all the monkeys...

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
The Real Bev wrote:
> Ho ho fscking ho.

becareful, you may get banned for that.  I almost did, and
my postings were removed.

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Jay Garcia
On 27.12.2007 00:55, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> becareful, you may get banned for that.  I almost did, and
> my postings were removed.

As long as you're a support giver, it's ok.

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape Champion
Marketing,Staff and Forums Consultant

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Rinaldi J. Montessi-4
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> The Real Bev wrote:
>> Ho ho fscking ho.
>
> becareful, you may get banned for that.  I almost did, and
> my postings were removed.

Fsck is an actual *nix command for file system check.  On the other
hand, some sysadmins in interactive blogs regularly delete the term
"ho", since context cannot be determined.

Rinaldi
--
Experience varies directly with equipment ruined.

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

PhillipJones
The Real Bev wrote:

> squaredancer wrote:
>
>> On 26.12.2007 01:30, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  The Real Bev
>> to generate the following:? :
>>> Follow-up set to mozilla.general.

>>> This thread was previously moved to mozilla.general.  Pay attention.
>>
>> yes - by a belligerent nit-wit, who was NOT the OP and who has NO IDEA
>> as to why this topic, thread and subthread are in this location to
>> start with!
>
> Come on, where's your holiday spirit?  What did you get for your
> holiday-of-choice (a holiday without gifts being a very poor choice
> indeed)?  I have a new monitor, which I might keep -- it's the 22"
> Envision from Best Buy and it's flickered among the various
> color-temperature settings several times.  Other than that, it's a fine
> monitor and I really like it.
>
> OTOH, my HD simulated a crash yesterday, which problem has required far
> more fscking than any human wants to do.  I've mostly recovered by going
> back to my previous drive and copying everything >20071212 from the
> crashed drive, but I'm VERY tired.
>
> Ho ho fscking ho.
>
> Hear about the tiger in San Francisco?  I'm surprised they haven't
> questioned all the monkeys...

I bet a a certain person we know of that got an entire sack of coal for
Christmas and deservedly so. That person makes the Grinch look like Mary
Poppins. :-(

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

squaredancer
On 27.12.2007 07:39, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  The Real Bev
to generate the following:? :

> squaredancer wrote:
>

>> On 26.12.2007 01:30, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  The Real Bev
>> to generate the following:? :
>>
>>> Follow-up set to mozilla.general.

>>> This thread was previously moved to mozilla.general.  Pay attention.
>>>
>> yes - by a belligerent nit-wit, who was NOT the OP and who has NO IDEA
>> as to why this topic, thread and subthread are in this location to start
>> with!
>>

> << snipped >>
>

> Ho ho fscking ho.
>
> Hear about the tiger in San Francisco?  I'm surprised they haven't
> questioned all the monkeys...

please provide a URL (along with other required data such as OS, Vers,
OAP, VIP  etc) so that we can check that site and supply you with better
support!

reg

ps - I would have FUed this to MTMM, but that would have gotten you
banned, because "he who shall not be named" moniters posts here, that
are FUed to MTMM, so that he can check their multimedia-test
aplicability to Moz policies and/or bann the posters and get the group
fsck'ed

Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>> Ho ho fscking ho.
>> becareful, you may get banned for that.  I almost did, and
>> my postings were removed.
>
> Fsck is an actual *nix command for file system check.  On the other
> hand, some sysadmins in interactive blogs regularly delete the term
> "ho", since context cannot be determined.
>
> Rinaldi

gotcha. I thought she was trying to spell a certain word and
typed an "s" instead of a "u". :-)

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Rinaldi J. Montessi-4
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>>> becareful, you may get banned for that.  I almost did, and
>>> my postings were removed.
>>
>> Fsck is an actual *nix command for file system check.  On the other
>> hand, some sysadmins in interactive blogs regularly delete the term
>> "ho", since context cannot be determined.
>>
>> Rinaldi
>
> gotcha. I thought she was trying to spell a certain word and
> typed an "s" instead of a "u". :-)

I wouldn't put the occasional double entendre past Bev :-)

Rinaldi
                -- Olivier

squaredancer wrote:

> On 27.12.2007 07:39, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  The Real Bev
> to generate the following:? :
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>

>>> On 26.12.2007 01:30, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  The Real Bev
>>> to generate the following:? :

>>> yes - by a belligerent nit-wit, who was NOT the OP and who has NO IDEA
>>> as to why this topic, thread and subthread are in this location to start
>>> with!
>>>

>> << snipped >>
>>

>> Ho ho fscking ho.
>>
>> Hear about the tiger in San Francisco?  I'm surprised they haven't
>> questioned all the monkeys...
>>

> please provide a URL (along with other required data such as OS, Vers,
> OAP, VIP  etc) so that we can check that site and supply you with better
> support!
>
> reg
>
> ps - I would have FUed this to MTMM, but that would have gotten you
> banned, because "he who shall not be named" moniters posts here, that
> are FUed to MTMM, so that he can check their multimedia-test
> aplicability to Moz policies and/or bann the posters and get the group
> fsck'ed

and don't forget that "he who shall not be named" is also
now back to monitoring the NTMM groups again.  I guess he'll
be starting the New Year out by telling everyone to take OT
postings to the general group or to private email.

Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
>>> Fsck is an actual *nix command for file system check.  On the other
>>> hand, some sysadmins in interactive blogs regularly delete the term
>>> "ho", since context cannot be determined.
>>>
>>> Rinaldi
>> gotcha. I thought she was trying to spell a certain word and
>> typed an "s" instead of a "u". :-)
>
> I wouldn't put the occasional double entendre past Bev :-)
>
> Rinaldi

I think she read my posting in the mozilla.test group.  It
was a funny [imo] Monty Python Christmas song, that went "Ho
Ho certain-word Ho".

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

squaredancer
On 27.12.2007 20:29, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Peter Potamus
the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :

> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
>
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>>> gotcha. I thought she was trying to spell a certain word and
>>> typed an "s" instead of a "u". :-)
>>>
>> I wouldn't put the occasional double entendre past Bev :-)
>>
>> Rinaldi
>>

> I think she read my posting in the mozilla.test group.  It
> was a funny [imo] Monty Python Christmas song, that went "Ho
> Ho certain-word Ho".

and it got you ho-ho fsck-ho banned  *lol*.... oh no!  that was
"deletend and nearly banned"... sorry

reg

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Rinaldi J. Montessi-4
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>>> gotcha. I thought she was trying to spell a certain word and
>>> typed an "s" instead of a "u". :-)
>>
>> I wouldn't put the occasional double entendre past Bev :-)
>>
>> Rinaldi
>
> I think she read my posting in the mozilla.test group.  It
> was a funny [imo] Monty Python Christmas song, that went "Ho
> Ho certain-word Ho".

I recall one time Bev and I were being admonished for being OT in some
group or other, I said that if I were king she would be crossposted to
mozilla.* just for the entertainment value.

Unfortunately it seems she got a bunch of panties in a knot for posting
some tag line or other that some of our "more enlightened" brethren took
exception to.  Those of us who have corresponded regularly with Bev
understand that she has an acerbic wit but has never been mean spirited.

Are we gossiping? Your ears burning Bev?

Rinaldi
--
You could get a new lease on life -- if only you didn't need the first
and last month in advance.

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

squaredancer
On 27.12.2007 21:59, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Rinaldi J.
Montessi to generate the following:? :

> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>
>> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

>>> I wouldn't put the occasional double entendre past Bev :-)
>>>
>>> Rinaldi
>>>
>> I think she read my posting in the mozilla.test group.  It
>> was a funny [imo] Monty Python Christmas song, that went "Ho
>> Ho certain-word Ho".
>>

> I recall one time Bev and I were being admonished for being OT in some
> group or other, I said that if I were king she would be crossposted to
> mozilla.* just for the entertainment value.
>
> Unfortunately it seems she got a bunch of panties in a knot for posting
> some tag line or other that some of our "more enlightened" brethren took
> exception to.  Those of us who have corresponded regularly with Bev
> understand that she has an acerbic wit but has never been mean spirited.
>
> Are we gossiping? Your ears burning Bev?
>
> Rinaldi

Bev doesn't have ears - she uses Linux

reg

Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>> Ho ho fscking ho.
>>
>> becareful, you may get banned for that.  I almost did, and
>> my postings were removed.
>
> Fsck is an actual *nix command for file system check.  On the other
> hand, some sysadmins in interactive blogs regularly delete the term
> "ho", since context cannot be determined.

A possible double whammy, as it were.  OTOH, have you seen 'Bad Santa'?

So what's the proper pronunciation?  I avoid saying the command aloud
for fear of exposing my ignorance even though I am unlikely to be
speaking to anyone who would be in a position to correct me.

Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
>>>
>>> Fsck is an actual *nix command for file system check.  On the other
>>> hand, some sysadmins in interactive blogs regularly delete the term
>>> "ho", since context cannot be determined.
>>
>> gotcha. I thought she was trying to spell a certain word and
>> typed an "s" instead of a "u". :-)
>
> I wouldn't put the occasional double entendre past Bev :-)

Even mixed doubles sometimes, although less frequently now.

This was interesting.  I had a ~300G EIDE drive which my live-in
consultant upgraded to a 500G SATA which he was able to do by disabling
the JMicro crap on the Asus MB.  I've had a couple of crashes while
using Azureus, which I attributed to Azureus and from which I recovered,
but the Christmas Cracker happened while I was composing an email with
not much running in the background.

So I fsck'd it from a different partition.  Took a long time, fixed a
lot of errors.  Did it again immediately, and it came up clean.
Rebooted, 'file system contains errors' rinse, repeat.  Fsck'd for hours
from various partitions, no joy.  Next day I ran the Trinity rescue CD
and fsck'd from there.  Still no joy.  Allen took out the drive and put
it in his machine.  A few errors, but it booted fine.  Copied what I
needed to the USB drive, copied that back to my old system and all is
well.

Well, not quite -- I've got about 500K of stuff in lost+found, some
going back to 2004 if the dates can be trusted.  I looked at some of it
with hexedit, but nothing useful turned up.  My inclination is to just
delete it and hope for the best, but way in the back of my mind there's
a whiny little voice saying "But what if you NEEEEEEEED it later?"

If a file gets damaged, does the date stay the same as it was or can
that be corrupted too?

Very mysterious.  Is it the hardware or the software or just that I
didn't celebrate Xmas properly?

OTOH, I like my new monitor.

Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

>>> I wouldn't put the occasional double entendre past Bev :-)
>>
>> I think she read my posting in the mozilla.test group.  It
>> was a funny [imo] Monty Python Christmas song, that went "Ho
>> Ho certain-word Ho".

I have the complete Monty Python on DVD which I've had for a year and
not even opened;  I'm kind of afraid that the quality is no better than
the stuff we've recorded off the San Bernardino PBS station, which is
REALLY rotten.

We not only have wild peacocks here, we have flocks of wild parrots.  No
telly-penguins that I know of, though.

> I recall one time Bev and I were being admonished for being OT in some
> group or other, I said that if I were king she would be crossposted to
> mozilla.* just for the entertainment value.

Blessings upon you and your ilk, my liege.

> Unfortunately it seems she got a bunch of panties in a knot for posting
> some tag line or other that some of our "more enlightened" brethren took
> exception to.  Those of us who have corresponded regularly with Bev
> understand that she has an acerbic wit but has never been mean spirited.

<snarl> Sez you, bud!

My mom and I referred to the blue parking spaces as gimpspots and
gloried in the close parking her emphysema provided.  No knots in our
panties EVER!

> Are we gossiping? Your ears burning Bev?

Damn, I thought that was dinner...

squaredancer wrote:

> Rinaldi wrote:

>> Are we gossiping? Your ears burning Bev?
>
> Bev doesn't have ears - she uses Linux

Whoosh!  A penguin reference, perhaps?  OK, I give up!

The Real Bev wrote:

> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
>
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>>>
>>> becareful, you may get banned for that.  I almost did, and
>>> my postings were removed.
>>
>> Fsck is an actual *nix command for file system check.  On the other
>> hand, some sysadmins in interactive blogs regularly delete the term
>> "ho", since context cannot be determined.
>
> A possible double whammy, as it were.  OTOH, have you seen 'Bad Santa'?
>
> So what's the proper pronunciation?  I avoid saying the command aloud
> for fear of exposing my ignorance even though I am unlikely to be
> speaking to anyone who would be in a position to correct me.

See "Pronunciations" in this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsck

Rinaldi
--
Brain, n.:
        The apparatus with which we think that we think.

The Real Bev wrote:

> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
>
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>>> gotcha. I thought she was trying to spell a certain word and
>>> typed an "s" instead of a "u". :-)
>>
>> I wouldn't put the occasional double entendre past Bev :-)
>
> Even mixed doubles sometimes, although less frequently now.
>
> This was interesting.  I had a ~300G EIDE drive which my live-in
> consultant upgraded to a 500G SATA which he was able to do by disabling
> the JMicro crap on the Asus MB.  I've had a couple of crashes while
> using Azureus, which I attributed to Azureus and from which I recovered,
> but the Christmas Cracker happened while I was composing an email with
> not much running in the background.

Azureus is just butt ugly.  And a resource hog.  And, yes, prone to
lockup your system.  It is the worst java application I know of and I
use a few.  I use bittorrent-curses.  Almost zarro overhead.

> So I fsck'd it from a different partition.  Took a long time, fixed a
> lot of errors.  Did it again immediately, and it came up clean.
> Rebooted, 'file system contains errors' rinse, repeat.  Fsck'd for hours
> from various partitions, no joy.  Next day I ran the Trinity rescue CD
> and fsck'd from there.  Still no joy.  Allen took out the drive and put
> it in his machine.  A few errors, but it booted fine.  Copied what I
> needed to the USB drive, copied that back to my old system and all is
> well.
>
> Well, not quite -- I've got about 500K of stuff in lost+found, some
> going back to 2004 if the dates can be trusted.  I looked at some of it
> with hexedit, but nothing useful turned up.  My inclination is to just
> delete it and hope for the best, but way in the back of my mind there's
> a whiny little voice saying "But what if you NEEEEEEEED it later?"

Yep.  /lost+found is a mixed blessing.  I usually do a head on each file
and if it's text I'll try to salvage it.  You could use mc for this I
suppose.  500K isn't a lot to scan through.

> If a file gets damaged, does the date stay the same as it was or can
> that be corrupted too?

I wouldn't trust the date, but it may be relative.  I once had a crash
where my computer clock had been set back to the beginning of unix time.

> Very mysterious.  Is it the hardware or the software or just that I
> didn't celebrate Xmas properly?

Dunno...   Do you use smartctl or smartd to check your disks?  Did you
see anything strange in /var/log*?  I'd wager 80/20 that it is hardware,
but sometimes the software pushes the hardware into tilt mode.  Usually
IRQ though.

> OTOH, I like my new monitor.

I bought a Sony 19" LCD a while back.  Very happy with it.  It works
quite nicely with my ATI graphics card and evil proprietary driver :-)

Rinaldi
--
The trouble with a kitten is that
When it grows up, it's always a cat