Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Moz Champion (Dan)
squaredancer wrote:

> On 19.12.2007 14:28, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Moz Champion
> (Dan) to generate the following:? :
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>
>>> On 12/14/2007 2:07 AM On a whim, Moz Champion (Dan) pounded out on
>>> the keyboard
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>

> crap (and other stuff) snipped
>>
>> It is simply Conincidence that for 10.000 spamming websites they close
>> down shortly after I report them? If so, then I must simply be the
>> King of coincidence surely. I guess spammers ONLY spam me when they
>> know they are closing the website in a few days (two weeks at the
>> outside)
>>

> 10.000 Dan - are you sure of the seperating point there - ten thousand ??
> my reckoning, that's 3 a day for nearly TEN YEARS.....
>
> Don Williams sang "are you going away with no word of farewell
> Will there be not a trace left behind"
>
> well - that's what happened to your websites!
>

> << snipped >>
>
> reg
> for DW fans
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWGDeBFLsf8
> and you will also like this one
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrNm7ThsgXo&feature=related

A rough geustimate. I have been doiing this since 1997, so it has been
ten years anyway.

When I started, my spam count was 300 per day (multiple accounts) so
most of my success was years ago, now, my spam is much much less so my
ongoing rate isnt much at all.

But you are correct, it does seem a little high, now that I think about
it. My estimate must be off

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

tdstr
Christopher Jahn wrote:

> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> Andrew DeFaria wrote:

>  >>
>>> No, something else.
>  >>

>  >>
>>> Why don't you use that little killfile filter thingy then?
>>>
>>> Figures you're a Mac user...
>  >>
>  >>
>>> Nice avoidance/deflection technique - work harder with your therapist...
>  >>
>>> Somehow I don't quite think so...
>>> --
>>> Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
>>> Sign seen in a bar: "Those drinking to forget please pay in advance"
>>

>> Perhaps it isn't another reply to me, I can't tell, I can't read it
>>

>> If it is, then be advised Andrew that I cannot read it. Don't know why
>> I bother telling you, you have been told previously but ignored it
>> then, so why would you listen now?
>
> I killfiled him YEARS ago because he kept posting HTML.  And since he's
> often abrasive and rarely insightful, I haven't missed him at all.

I hear yah.  Posting html to newsgroups is so amatuarish and wreaks of
AOL'ness.  Total disregard to usenet nettiquite.  Then he has the nerve
to bitch about posters who use anonymous handles!?!?  Hello?!?! this is
usenet!

> This week I'm testing TB's newsreader, so I can see him.  Same ol' same
> ol'.  TB isn't much of a newsreader; I miss the "skip quoted" feature of
> Xnews, and it's criminal that you can't select text to be quoted in your
> reply.  Clumsy, clumsy, clumsy.

Agreed.  But I deal with it.

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Leonidas Jones-2
§ wrote:
> Christopher Jahn wrote:
>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
/snip/

>> I killfiled him YEARS ago because he kept posting HTML.  And since
>> he's often abrasive and rarely insightful, I haven't missed him at all.
>
> I hear yah.  Posting html to newsgroups is so amatuarish and wreaks of
> AOL'ness.  Total disregard to usenet nettiquite.  Then he has the nerve
> to bitch about posters who use anonymous handles!?!?  Hello?!?! this is
> usenet!
>

>> This week I'm testing TB's newsreader, so I can see him.  Same ol'
>> same ol'.  TB isn't much of a newsreader; I miss the "skip quoted"
>> feature of Xnews, and it's criminal that you can't select text to be
>> quoted in your reply.  Clumsy, clumsy, clumsy.
>
> Agreed.  But I deal with it.

No, this is not Usenet.  The mozilla.org groups are not propagated over
usenet, they are only available on this server.

Then again, the Google Groupers can get to them, but that's another story.

I killfiled Andrew when this server first came online, and he hasn't
bothered me since.

Lee

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Irwin Greenwald-4
On 12/20/2007 § wrote:
> I miss the "skip quoted" feature of Xnews, and it's criminal that you
> can't select text to be quoted in your reply

Try the QuickQuote extension, which I used to nab the above.
http://quickquote.mozdev.org/faq.html
--
Irwin

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

goodwin-4
On 12/20/2007 5:52 AM Christopher Jahn scribbled:

<snip>

> This week I'm testing TB's newsreader, so I can see him.  Same ol' same
> ol'.  TB isn't much of a newsreader;

this is news?

it's criminal that you can't select text to be quoted in your
> reply.

I don't understand that - don't use xnews - what feature are you talking of?
I currently just delete out quoted stuff in my reply I don't want,
though now that you mention it, its coming to me.
But either way, time needs to be spent editing, either selecting or
deleting, eh?

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Terry R.
On 12/20/2007 9:36 AM On a whim, Irwin Greenwald pounded out on the keyboard

> On 12/20/2007 § wrote:
>> I miss the "skip quoted" feature of Xnews, and it's criminal that you
>> can't select text to be quoted in your reply
>
> Try the QuickQuote extension, which I used to nab the above.
> http://quickquote.mozdev.org/faq.html

But for me it places my sig above the quoted text when using any of the
right click options.  Is there a way to have it place the quoted
material above?

--
Terry R.

On 12/20/2007 10:06 AM, Terry R. wrote:

> On 12/20/2007 9:36 AM On a whim, Irwin Greenwald pounded out on the
> keyboard
>
>> On 12/20/2007 § wrote:
>>> I miss the "skip quoted" feature of Xnews, and it's criminal that you
>>> can't select text to be quoted in your reply
>>
>> Try the QuickQuote extension, which I used to nab the above.
>> http://quickquote.mozdev.org/faq.html
>
> But for me it places my sig above the quoted text when using any of the
> right click options.  Is there a way to have it place the quoted
> material above?

Here are my settings:
http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/idgreenwald/Mozilla/?action=view&current=Clipboard01-1.gif

--
Irwin

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

squaredancer
On 20.12.2007 17:54, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Leonidas Jones
to generate the following:? :

> squaredancer wrote:
>
>> On 20.12.2007 16:10, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused
>> [hidden email] to generate the following:? :

> /snip/
>

>> Killfile all those idiots who are still using Newsreaders that were
>> coded about the same year as Beethoven composed the 1812 symphony!
>>
>> - we write the year 2007
>> - we are in the Newsgroup about *THUNDERBIRD*
>> - Thunderbird is HTML-compatible.
>>
>> Arogance seen in others is quite often your own *ignorance and
>> intollerance*
>> If your *PRIMITIVE* newsreader can't decode HTML - use Thunderbird!
>>
>> reg
>>

> Well, Tchaikovsky wrote an "1812 Overture".  Beethoven wrote a piece
> called "Wellington's Victory", sub titled the "Battle Symphony", but I
> am not familiar with a piece called the "1812 Symphony".
>
> Further musicological discussion can be pursued in mozilla.general, to
> which I have set the followup.
>
> Lee

*lol* probably that was the "potatoe-battle of Leipzig", as it is called
here, in Germany. Reckon I'll have to move house and catch up with my
CDs... at the moment they are some 120 mile away....
Didn't Wellington fight the battle of Waterloo? or was he the one
reputed to have said "into the breach, dear friends"??  perhaps it was
"I wish it was night, or the Prussians came".... was all so *very* long ago

reg

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Terry R.
The date and time is 12/20/2007 2:02 PM, and on a whim, Irwin Greenwald
pounded out on the keyboard:

> On 12/20/2007 10:06 AM, Terry R. wrote:
>> On 12/20/2007 9:36 AM On a whim, Irwin Greenwald pounded out on the
>> keyboard

>>> Try the QuickQuote extension, which I used to nab the above.
>>> http://quickquote.mozdev.org/faq.html
>> But for me it places my sig above the quoted text when using any of the
>> right click options.  Is there a way to have it place the quoted
>> material above?
>>
> Here are my settings:
> http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/idgreenwald/Mozilla/?action=view&current=Clipboard01-1.gif

Mine are the same (except the header). Can't figure out why it places
the sig and cursor above the quote, when the settings are for bottom.
Have any ideas?

--
Terry R.

On 12/20/2007 3:28 PM, Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time is 12/20/2007 2:02 PM, and on a whim, Irwin Greenwald
> pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> On 12/20/2007 10:06 AM, Terry R. wrote:
>>> On 12/20/2007 9:36 AM On a whim, Irwin Greenwald pounded out on the
>>> keyboard

>>> But for me it places my sig above the quoted text when using any of
>>> the right click options.  Is there a way to have it place the quoted
>>> material above?
>>>
>> Here are my settings:
>> http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/idgreenwald/Mozilla/?action=view&current=Clipboard01-1.gif
>>

> Mine are the same (except the header). Can't figure out why it places
> the sig and cursor above the quote, when the settings are for bottom.
> Have any ideas?

I have version 0.8.1; is yours different?
What's in your header?

--
Irwin

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Christopher Jahn-2
Irwin Greenwald wrote:
> On 12/20/2007 § wrote:
>> I miss the "skip quoted" feature of Xnews, and it's criminal that you
>> can't select text to be quoted in your reply
>
> Try the QuickQuote extension, which I used to nab the above.
> http://quickquote.mozdev.org/faq.html

Yeah, I know.  But this should not require an extension, a proper mail
or news client is expected to do this "out of the box," and its lack is
a poor reflection on TB and its developers.  C'mon guys, this is web 101
stuff.

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Terry R.
The date and time is 12/20/2007 4:27 PM, and on a whim, Irwin Greenwald
pounded out on the keyboard:

> On 12/20/2007 3:28 PM, Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time is 12/20/2007 2:02 PM, and on a whim, Irwin Greenwald
>> pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Here are my settings:
>>> http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/idgreenwald/Mozilla/?action=view&current=Clipboard01-1.gif
>>>

>> Mine are the same (except the header). Can't figure out why it places
>> the sig and cursor above the quote, when the settings are for bottom.
>> Have any ideas?
>>

> I have version 0.8.1; is yours different?
> What's in your header?

I have the same version.  For Quick Quote "above the quotation", it's
On a whim, %author pounded out on the keyboard:

--
Terry R.

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Terry R.
The date and time is 12/20/2007 4:27 PM, and on a whim, Irwin Greenwald
pounded out on the keyboard:

> On 12/20/2007 3:28 PM, Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time is 12/20/2007 2:02 PM, and on a whim, Irwin Greenwald
>> pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Here are my settings:
>>> http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/idgreenwald/Mozilla/?action=view&current=Clipboard01-1.gif
>>>

>> Mine are the same (except the header). Can't figure out why it places
>> the sig and cursor above the quote, when the settings are for bottom.
>> Have any ideas?
>>

> I have version 0.8.1; is yours different?
> What's in your header?

Removed the quotation completely and no change...

--
Terry R.

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time is 12/20/2007 4:27 PM, and on a whim, Irwin Greenwald
> pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> On 12/20/2007 3:28 PM, Terry R. wrote:
>>> The date and time is 12/20/2007 2:02 PM, and on a whim, Irwin Greenwald
>>> pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Mine are the same (except the header). Can't figure out why it places
>>> the sig and cursor above the quote, when the settings are for bottom.
>>> Have any ideas?
>>>
>> I have version 0.8.1; is yours different?
>> What's in your header?
>>

> Removed the quotation completely and no change...

what have you got in your userchrome.css or usercontent.css
or stylish files that would affect it?

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Irwin Greenwald-4
  Terry R. pounded out on the keyboard
> I have the same version.  For Quick Quote "above the quotation", it's
> On a whim, %author pounded out on the keyboard:

No problem with that header! One suggestion: try disabling your other
extensions to see if there's a conflict.

--
Irwin

On 12/20/2007 4:51 PM, Christopher Jahn wrote:

> Irwin Greenwald wrote:
>> On 12/20/2007 § wrote:
>>> I miss the "skip quoted" feature of Xnews, and it's criminal that you
>>> can't select text to be quoted in your reply
>>
>> Try the QuickQuote extension, which I used to nab the above.
>> http://quickquote.mozdev.org/faq.html
>
> Yeah, I know.  But this should not require an extension, a proper mail
> or news client is expected to do this "out of the box," and its lack is
> a poor reflection on TB and its developers.  C'mon guys, this is web 101
> stuff.

It's the old argument of function vs bloat. TB and FF were supposed to
be lean with add-on capability for those who wanted more function.
Unfortunately the definition of "lean" varies with the reader.

--
Irwin

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Daniel-24
Christopher Jahn wrote:

> Irwin Greenwald wrote:
>> On 12/20/2007 § wrote:
>>> I miss the "skip quoted" feature of Xnews, and it's criminal that you
>>> can't select text to be quoted in your reply
>>
>> Try the QuickQuote extension, which I used to nab the above.
>> http://quickquote.mozdev.org/faq.html
>
> Yeah, I know.  But this should not require an extension, a proper mail
> or news client is expected to do this "out of the box," and its lack is
> a poor reflection on TB and its developers.  C'mon guys, this is web 101
> stuff.

Well, away you go, Christopher. I'm sure the TB boys would appreciate
your contributions.

Daniel

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Terry R.
The date and time was 12/20/2007 5:57 PM, and on a whim, Peter Potamus
the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time is 12/20/2007 4:27 PM, and on a whim, Irwin Greenwald
>> pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> I have version 0.8.1; is yours different?
>>> What's in your header?
>>>
>> Removed the quotation completely and no change...
>>

> what have you got in your userchrome.css or usercontent.css
> or stylish files that would affect it?

Just color settings mainly. Nothing in a stylish file.

--
Terry R.

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Terry R.
The date and time was 12/20/2007 6:42 PM, and on a whim, Irwin Greenwald
pounded out on the keyboard:

>   Terry R. pounded out on the keyboard
>> I have the same version.  For Quick Quote "above the quotation", it's
>> On a whim, %author pounded out on the keyboard:
>
> No problem with that header! One suggestion: try disabling your other
> extensions to see if there's a conflict.

I'll give that a try tomorrow. Here is what I have:
EditHTML
Folderpane Tools
Lightning
Mnenhy
NTT
Printing Tools
QuickQuote
QuickText
Quote Colors
Reminderfox
Stylish
TB Header Tools Extension
--
Terry R.

Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

»Q«
goodwin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > it's criminal that you can't select text to be quoted in your
> > reply.
>
> I don't understand that - don't use xnews - what feature are you
> talking of?

With most newsreaders, if some text in a message is selected as you're
reading it, then when you reply, only that text is quoted.