Re: Graphic in newsgroup header . . .

Ken Whiton
*-* On Sun, 09 Nov 2008, at 06:26:42 -0700,
*-* In Article [hidden email],
*-* BJ wrote
*-* About Re: Graphic in newsgroup header . . .

> Regarding the thread titled: "Re: Graphic in newsgroup header . . ."

> On 11/8/08 6:43 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo's opinion was
> expressed:

           [ ... ]

>> yes, you're right . . . your face IS a monster now, you silly
>> little grinch. :-)

> Which leads me to a question that just dawned on me.  Can people
> that have another email reader/client, like Outlook, Outlook
> Express, Eudora, the Gravity News Reader, Yahoo, Hotmail (web mail
> that they use as readers), etc., see these images in the header, or
> is it just TB users that can see them?

      I don't know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that some
readers can display images and some can't.  I can say from experience
that Xnews can display X-Face images, but not Face images.  As for
other readers, I have no experience with them, but I'm guessing that
readers that can add those image headers can also display them.
Checking other newsgroups and looking at posts from posters that I
know include images in their headers, I see X-Face headers in posts
made with Thoth (a Mac reader), and both X-Face and Face headers in
posts made with Gnus, a reader running under Linux.

      [Cross-posted and follow-up set to mozilla.general]

                                         Ken Whiton

     FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: [hidden email] (remove the obvious to reply)

Re: Graphic in newsgroup header . . .

Blinky the Shark
Ken Whiton wrote:

> *-* On Sun, 09 Nov 2008, at 06:26:42 -0700,
> *-* In Article [hidden email],
> *-* BJ wrote
> *-* About Re: Graphic in newsgroup header . . .
>
>> Regarding the thread titled: "Re: Graphic in newsgroup header . . ."
>
>> On 11/8/08 6:43 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo's opinion was
>> expressed:
>
>            [ ... ]
>
>>> yes, you're right . . . your face IS a monster now, you silly
>>> little grinch. :-)
>
>> Which leads me to a question that just dawned on me.  Can people
>> that have another email reader/client, like Outlook, Outlook
>> Express, Eudora, the Gravity News Reader, Yahoo, Hotmail (web mail
>> that they use as readers), etc., see these images in the header, or
>> is it just TB users that can see them?
>
>       I don't know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that some
> readers can display images and some can't.  I can say from experience
> that Xnews can display X-Face images, but not Face images.  As for
> other readers, I have no experience with them, but I'm guessing that
> readers that can add those image headers can also display them.

Well, that won't map one-to-one, because all it takes to add a graphic
is the ability to add the custom header that encodes them.  So any
reader that lets the user do that (add custom headers) will send a face,
since it's just another header, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily
equipped to decode and display them.

> Checking other newsgroups and looking at posts from posters that I
> know include images in their headers, I see X-Face headers in posts
> made with Thoth (a Mac reader), and both X-Face and Face headers in
> posts made with Gnus, a reader running under Linux.

Right.  Now, can they also display them?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Re: Graphic in newsgroup header . . .

»Q«
On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 03:24:15 -0800
Blinky the Shark <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ken Whiton wrote:
> > *-* On Sun, 09 Nov 2008, at 06:26:42 -0700,
> > *-* In Article [hidden email],
> > *-* BJ wrote
> > *-* About Re: Graphic in newsgroup header . . .
> >
> >> Regarding the thread titled: "Re: Graphic in newsgroup
> >> header . . ."
> >
> >> On 11/8/08 6:43 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo's opinion was
> >> expressed:
> >
> >            [ ... ]

> >> Which leads me to a question that just dawned on me.  Can people
> >> that have another email reader/client, like Outlook, Outlook
> >> Express, Eudora, the Gravity News Reader, Yahoo, Hotmail (web mail
> >> that they use as readers), etc., see these images in the header, or
> >> is it just TB users that can see them?
> >
> >       I don't know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that some
> > readers can display images and some can't.  I can say from
> > experience that Xnews can display X-Face images, but not Face
> > images.  As for other readers, I have no experience with them, but
> > I'm guessing that readers that can add those image headers can also
> > display them.
>
> Well, that won't map one-to-one, because all it takes to add a
> graphic is the ability to add the custom header that encodes them.
> So any reader that lets the user do that (add custom headers) will
> send a face, since it's just another header, but that doesn't mean
> it's necessarily equipped to decode and display them.
>
> > Checking other newsgroups and looking at posts from posters that I
> > know include images in their headers, I see X-Face headers in posts
> > made with Thoth (a Mac reader), and both X-Face and Face headers in
> > posts made with Gnus, a reader running under Linux.
>
> Right.  Now, can they also display them?

Gnus can.  I'm not certain about Thoth, but IIRC it can at least
display X-Face ones.  There are old threads in news.software.readers
which have the info about various clients, but with Google Groups
brokent so badly lately it would be a PiTA to find them.