Re: Google Earth download.

Herb-2
On 25.08.2007 21:37 UK Time, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> I am impressed with the technology itself. but the way its stands at
> least on the Mac platform its not very useful.

Hi Phillip,

if you are not impressed with Google Earth you could try Google Moon and
zoom down to the maximum level - I'm sure you'll be suitably impressed :-)

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Re: Google Earth download.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

yeah, here's google moon: http://moon.google.com/

--
Please do not email me for help.  Reply to the newsgroup
only.  And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Google Earth download.

Michael Gordon
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo created this reply On 8/26/2007 2:35 PM

> Herb wrote:
>> On 25.08.2007 21:37 UK Time, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>>
>>> I am impressed with the technology itself. but the way its stands at
>>> least on the Mac platform its not very useful.
>> Hi Phillip,
>>
>> if you are not impressed with Google Earth you could try Google Moon and
>> zoom down to the maximum level - I'm sure you'll be suitably impressed :-)
>>

> yeah, here's google moon: http://moon.google.com/

Peter,

Use the slider to Zoom down to the surface, your mouse will love you.

Michael

Posting To Mozilla.Test.Multimedia <http://ilias.ca/mozilla.test.multimedia>

SeaMonkey <http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/>
The "All In One Internet Application Suite"

Re: Google Earth download.

PhillipJones
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> Herb wrote:
>> On 25.08.2007 21:37 UK Time, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>>
>>> I am impressed with the technology itself. but the way its stands at
>>> least on the Mac platform its not very useful.
>>
>> Hi Phillip,
>>
>> if you are not impressed with Google Earth you could try Google Moon
>> and zoom down to the maximum level - I'm sure you'll be suitably
>> impressed :-)
>>

> yeah, here's google moon: http://moon.google.com/

That looked great until the second from the top of the + mark on the
zoom control The + mark and the one below was lost fine detail.

Re: Google Earth download.

Michael Gordon
Phillip Jones, CET created this reply On 8/26/2007 7:40 PM

> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Herb wrote:

>>> Hi Phillip,
>>>
>>> if you are not impressed with Google Earth you could try Google Moon
>>> and zoom down to the maximum level - I'm sure you'll be suitably
>>> impressed :-)
>>>
>> yeah, here's google moon: http://moon.google.com/
>>
> That looked great until the second from the top of the + mark on the
> zoom control The + mark and the one below was lost fine detail.

I don't know what ti advise, I tried it again and it went all the way to
the top just under the "+" mark.

Michael wrote:

> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo created this reply On 8/26/2007 2:35 PM
>
>> Herb wrote:

>>> Hi Phillip,
>>>
>>> if you are not impressed with Google Earth you could try Google Moon and
>>> zoom down to the maximum level - I'm sure you'll be suitably impressed :-)
>>>
>> yeah, here's google moon: http://moon.google.com/
>>

> Peter,
>
> Use the slider to Zoom down to the surface, your mouse will love you.
>
> Michael

yes, I know, thats why I posted it.

--
Please do not email me for help.  Reply to the newsgroup
only.  And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All
or Reply to Author.  Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Google Earth download.

Ron Hunter
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:
>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

>>> Mac's are naturally set up to do graphics much better, than windows
>>> machine due to the way macs draw the individual Pixels.
>>> PC take the individual blocks that make up a Pixel and fills the
>>> whole block in  so that if magnify a letter drawn to the extreme it
>>> look blocky. On a Mac the element in the block look similar to a ball
>>> place in a box just big enough for the ball. so when you magnify the
>>> letter looks sharp a smooth. The one machine with OSX.3.9 is G4-500
>>> and the PowerBook 17 use a G4 1.67gb processor. I don't know what
>>> processor is used in the PowerBook 17, But the G4-500 has an ATI
>>> Radeon 9000 DVI Card and I am using on a 17" Mitsubishi Diamond Point
>>> NX86LCD monitor  using the DVI setup.
>>>

>> All of which is fine, IF the settings in GoogleEarth, and the settings
>> on your computer are compatible.  If they aren't...  well, it might
>> not work well.
>>

> Follow up to: Mozilla.general
>
> display is set 1280 X 1040
> native format for the monitor is 1280 x 1040.

I had a problem that was similar on my current desktop system.  It had
something to do with the ATI graphics adapter, but a newer version of
the program seemed to work better.  You might try tweaking some of the
display settings in the program options to see if you can get it to work
better.  Maybe other Mac users can help with this one.

--
Ron Hunter  [hidden email]

Re: Google Earth download.

PhillipJones
Ron Hunter wrote:

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> All of which is fine, IF the settings in GoogleEarth, and the
>>> settings on your computer are compatible.  If they aren't...  well,
>>> it might not work well.
>>>

>> Follow up to: Mozilla.general
>>
>> display is set 1280 X 1040
>> native format for the monitor is 1280 x 1040.
>
> I had a problem that was similar on my current desktop system.  It had
> something to do with the ATI graphics adapter, but a newer version of
> the program seemed to work better.  You might try tweaking some of the
> display settings in the program options to see if you can get it to work
> better.  Maybe other Mac users can help with this one.

I have the latest ATI files for The ATI Radeon Card I have.

Re: Google Earth download.

The Real Bev
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:
>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

>>> Follow up to: Mozilla.general
>>>
>>> display is set 1280 X 1040 native format for the monitor is 1280 x
>>> 1040.
>>
>> I had a problem that was similar on my current desktop system.  It had
>> something to do with the ATI graphics adapter, but a newer version of
>> the program seemed to work better.  You might try tweaking some of the
>> display settings in the program options to see if you can get it to
>> work better.  Maybe other Mac users can help with this one.
>>
> I have the latest ATI files for The ATI Radeon Card I have.

So did I.  The linux version of the ATI config file was so badly broken
there were hundreds of syntax errors and NONE of the ATI drivers were
installed. I tried (along with my resident expert) for a week before
returning the ATI board and replacing it with an Nvidia card which installed
in 10 minutes.

In the linux/google earth mailing list there are large numbers of people
with problems with ATI boards, and not a single solution.

ATI sucks badly for linux people, and I pity the fool (AMD) that bought the
company.  I don't so much mind their screwing up, what annoyed me was that
they said that they provided the drivers on an as-is basis, no guarantees,
do not taunt happy fun ball, etc.

Screw 'em, I'll never buy another ATI product.

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However,
  this is not necessarily a good idea...."

Re: Google Earth download.

Rinaldi J. Montessi-4
The Real Bev wrote:

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>
>> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> I had a problem that was similar on my current desktop system.  It had
>>> something to do with the ATI graphics adapter, but a newer version of
>>> the program seemed to work better.  You might try tweaking some of the
>>> display settings in the program options to see if you can get it to
>>> work better.  Maybe other Mac users can help with this one.
>>>
>> I have the latest ATI files for The ATI Radeon Card I have.
>
> So did I.  The linux version of the ATI config file was so badly broken
> there were hundreds of syntax errors and NONE of the ATI drivers were
> installed. I tried (along with my resident expert) for a week before
> returning the ATI board and replacing it with an Nvidia card which installed
> in 10 minutes.
>
> In the linux/google earth mailing list there are large numbers of people
> with problems with ATI boards, and not a single solution.
>
> ATI sucks badly for linux people, and I pity the fool (AMD) that bought the
> company.  I don't so much mind their screwing up, what annoyed me was that
> they said that they provided the drivers on an as-is basis, no guarantees,
> do not taunt happy fun ball, etc.
>
> Screw 'em, I'll never buy another ATI product.

I suppose if I were to tell you my ATI card works flawlessly you
wouldn't believe me...

The only problem I've ever had is when I tried to compile the modules
with a different compiler than what I had compiled the kernel with.
Admittedly the error message was ambiguous at best.

This is with an old ATI Technologies Inc RV380 [Radeon X600 (PCIE)]

rinaldi@Senior:~$ fgl_glxgears
Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
2842 frames in 5.0 seconds = 568.400 FPS
2893 frames in 5.0 seconds = 578.600 FPS
2828 frames in 5.0 seconds = 565.600 FPS

rinaldi@Senior:~$ fgl_glxgears -fbo
Using GL_EXT_framebuffer_object
3296 frames in 5.0 seconds = 659.200 FPS
3303 frames in 5.0 seconds = 660.600 FPS
3302 frames in 5.0 seconds = 660.400 FPS

rinaldi@Senior:~$ glxgears
14234 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2846.647 FPS
14359 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2871.703 FPS
14229 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2845.677 FPS

Rinaldi
--
This Fortue Examined By INSPECTOR NO. 2-14

Re: Google Earth download.

The Real Bev
Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
 >>>

>>> I have the latest ATI files for The ATI Radeon Card I have.
>>
>> So did I.  The linux version of the ATI config file was so badly broken
>> there were hundreds of syntax errors and NONE of the ATI drivers were
>> installed. I tried (along with my resident expert) for a week before
>> returning the ATI board and replacing it with an Nvidia card which installed
>> in 10 minutes.
>>
>> In the linux/google earth mailing list there are large numbers of people
>> with problems with ATI boards, and not a single solution.
>>
>> ATI sucks badly for linux people, and I pity the fool (AMD) that bought the
>> company.  I don't so much mind their screwing up, what annoyed me was that
>> they said that they provided the drivers on an as-is basis, no guarantees,
>> do not taunt happy fun ball, etc.
>>
>> Screw 'em, I'll never buy another ATI product.
>
> I suppose if I were to tell you my ATI card works flawlessly you
> wouldn't believe me...

Sure I would.  Everybody's hardware is different.  SOMEBODY's has to work
right, why shouldn't it be yours?  You also know what you're doing...

I always pick the wrong Costco line, too.

Re: Google Earth download.

PhillipJones
Ron Hunter wrote:

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> All of which is fine, IF the settings in GoogleEarth, and the
>>> settings on your computer are compatible.  If they aren't...  well,
>>> it might not work well.
>>>

>> Follow up to: Mozilla.general
>>
>> display is set 1280 X 1040
>> native format for the monitor is 1280 x 1040.
>
> I had a problem that was similar on my current desktop system.  It had
> something to do with the ATI graphics adapter, but a newer version of
> the program seemed to work better.  You might try tweaking some of the
> display settings in the program options to see if you can get it to work
> better.  Maybe other Mac users can help with this one.

I've improved performance of Google earth Slightly by going into monitor
settings and setting for Thousands instead of Millions, both on my
G4-500 and on my G4-1.67GB 17" PowerBook . up and down controls still
too sensitive and will get stuck at zooming in or zooming out. but even
on my little burg I can see more detail.