Re: Firefox is on its way out

squaredancer
On 09.05.2009 22:56, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Clunker to
generate the following:? :

> On 5/6/2009 12:06 PM, Phillip Jones wrote:
>
>> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> Thanks for the education. Many 'Chinese' things aren't really
>>> inventions of the Chinese at all, but things developed in other
>>> places, and attributed to the Chinese. Like 'fortune cookies'.
>>>
>> Me thinks Dan takes stuff even more seriously that I do. he obviously
>> didn't see the :-) at the end of my sentence.
>>

> How do you add happy faces in news groups on TB - the option isn't even
> showing on mine? Thanks

you need to compose in HTML format.
Hold the SHIFT key and click Reply (or Write, for a new mail) and you
get a different window.

Look here, to see what the HTML compose window looks like - and where
the Smiley button is!

<http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/5043/clipboard01bqw.jpg>

reg

Re: Firefox is on its way out

Ron Hunter
squaredancer wrote:

> On 09.05.2009 22:56, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Clunker to
> generate the following:? :

>>> Me thinks Dan takes stuff even more seriously that I do. he obviously
>>> didn't see the :-) at the end of my sentence.
>>>

>> How do you add happy faces in news groups on TB - the option isn't even
>> showing on mine? Thanks
>>

> you need to compose in HTML format.
> Hold the SHIFT key and click Reply (or Write, for a new mail) and you
> get a different window.
>
> Look here, to see what the HTML compose window looks like - and where
> the Smiley button is!
>
> <http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/5043/clipboard01bqw.jpg>
>
> reg

Or, just use the ascii characters ;)

Re: Firefox is on its way out

Jay Garcia
On 09.05.2009 20:15, Ron Hunter wrote:

>> On 09.05.2009 22:56, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Clunker to
>> generate the following:? :

>>> How do you add happy faces in news groups on TB - the option isn't even
>>> showing on mine? Thanks
>>>

>> you need to compose in HTML format.
>> Hold the SHIFT key and click Reply (or Write, for a new mail) and you
>> get a different window.
>>
>> Look here, to see what the HTML compose window looks like - and where
>> the Smiley button is!
>>
>> <http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/5043/clipboard01bqw.jpg>
>>
>> reg
>>
> Or, just use the ascii characters ;)

Or just : - ) ... eliminate the spaces and you get :-)

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org

Re: Firefox is on its way out

Jay Garcia
On 09.05.2009 21:22, Jay Garcia wrote:

> Or just : - ) ... eliminate the spaces and you get :-)

All done in text mode, no html at all.

8 - ) 8-) or : - D  :-D

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support

Re: Firefox is on its way out

Dennis-77
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 09.05.2009 21:22, Jay Garcia wrote:

; - ) ;-)

Re: Firefox is on its way out

Ken Whiton
*-* On Sat, 09 May 2009, at 16:56:38 -0400,
*-* In Article [hidden email],
*-* Clunker wrote
*-* About Re: Firefox is on its way out

> On 5/6/2009 12:06 PM, Phillip Jones wrote:

           [ ... ]

>> Me thinks Dan takes stuff even more seriously that I do. he
>> obviously didn't see the :-) at the end of my sentence.

> How do you add happy faces in news groups on TB - the option isn't
> even showing on mine? Thanks

      The only option is the display option that Bev pointed out.  As
Jay and Dennis have illustrated, with that option set TB will display
"standard" text emoticons (smileys) as graphics rather than text.  For
the complete list of emoticons TB supports see:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Viewing_Headers#Plain_text

                                         Ken Whiton
--
     FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: [hidden email] (remove the obvious to reply)

Re: Firefox is on its way out

PhillipJones
Clunker wrote:

> On 5/6/2009 12:06 PM, Phillip Jones wrote:
>> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> Thanks for the education. Many 'Chinese' things aren't really
>>> inventions of the Chinese at all, but things developed in other
>>> places, and attributed to the Chinese. Like 'fortune cookies'.
>>
>> Me thinks Dan takes stuff even more seriously that I do. he obviously
>> didn't see the :-) at the end of my sentence.
>>
> How do you add happy faces in news groups on TB - the option isn't even
> showing on mine? Thanks
IN SM  in preferences > message display there is a radio button beside a
Line Display Emototicons as Graphics. click on that.

Then to show them correctly you must type them correctly Google for
emoticons and will come up with a chart of different keys to use. Key
thing is there has got to be a space before and after the emoticon in
order for it show correctly.

here is is incorrect example : (:-))

and now Proper way ( :-) )

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.  "If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net           http://www.vpea.org

Re: Firefox is on its way out

PhillipJones
Ron Hunter wrote:

> squaredancer wrote:
>> On 09.05.2009 22:56, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Clunker to
>> generate the following:? :

>>> How do you add happy faces in news groups on TB - the option isn't even
>>> showing on mine? Thanks
>>>

>> you need to compose in HTML format.
>> Hold the SHIFT key and click Reply (or Write, for a new mail) and you
>> get a different window.
>>
>> Look here, to see what the HTML compose window looks like - and where
>> the Smiley button is!
>>
>> <http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/5043/clipboard01bqw.jpg>
>>
>> reg
>>
> Or, just use the ascii characters ;)

;-) :-) :-D :-p ;-(  :-(  :-| : -/

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.  "If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net           http://www.vpea.org
mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Firefox is on its way out

Clunker-2
On 5/9/2009 10:22 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 09.05.2009 20:15, Ron Hunter wrote:

When I reply to messages in my inbox I get a bar with options like the
smiley faces but when I reply to news groups that extra bar is not
there.  I am using TB 3.0b2 - Did I miss an option somewhere?

Re: Firefox is on its way out

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Monday, May 11, 2009 7:57:16 AM, and on a whim,
Clunker pounded out on the keyboard:

> On 5/9/2009 10:22 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 09.05.2009 20:15, Ron Hunter wrote:

That's because the "bar" is for HTML.  Since you are composing in plain
text for newsgroups, the bar is not there.  If you want to force the
compose in HTML, use Shift Reply, or Shift Write when your default is
plain text.  Then have it prompt you on how to send, so you can select
plain text.

Terry R.

Re: Firefox is on its way out

squaredancer
On 11.05.2009 17:51, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Terry R. to
generate the following:? :

> The date and time was Monday, May 11, 2009 7:57:16 AM, and on a whim,
> Clunker pounded out on the keyboard:
>

>> On 5/9/2009 10:22 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>>
>>> On 09.05.2009 20:15, Ron Hunter wrote:

reckon, some guys aren't reading the posts.... why the heck do we bother ???
<news://news.mozilla.org:119/[hidden email]>

reg

Re: Firefox is on its way out

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Monday, May 11, 2009 9:33:31 AM, and on a whim,
squaredancer pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> When I reply to messages in my inbox I get a bar with options like the
>>> smiley faces but when I reply to news groups that extra bar is not
>>> there.  I am using TB 3.0b2 - Did I miss an option somewhere?
>>>

>> That's because the "bar" is for HTML.  Since you are composing in plain
>> text for newsgroups, the bar is not there.  If you want to force the
>> compose in HTML, use Shift Reply, or Shift Write when your default is
>> plain text.  Then have it prompt you on how to send, so you can select
>> plain text.
>>

>> Terry R.
>>

> reckon, some guys aren't reading the posts.... why the heck do we bother ???
> <news://news.mozilla.org:119/[hidden email]>
>
> reg

Good question.  Your reply is just above mine...

Terry R.

Re: Firefox is on its way out

Clunker-2
On 5/11/2009 1:20 PM, Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was Monday, May 11, 2009 9:33:31 AM, and on a whim,
> squaredancer pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> That's because the "bar" is for HTML.  Since you are composing in
>>> plain text for newsgroups, the bar is not there.  If you want to
>>> force the compose in HTML, use Shift Reply, or Shift Write when your
>>> default is plain text.  Then have it prompt you on how to send, so
>>> you can select plain text.
>>>

>>> Terry R.
>> =-O I'll justs bet there is a setting to make that happen every time?
I'll bet Reg knows what it is - he's such a helper........!  Thanks Guys