Re: Firefox, from mobile, from Brazil

Chris Hofmann-3

This probably explains why pt-PT mobile update pings out number pt-BR by
about 7000 to 1, where as on the desktop its just about the reverse ratio.

If the phone is set to  Locale=Portugues we will need to figure out how
to pack the idea that we have two versions available.

Mobile Test Drivers can also help in surfacing these kind of navigation
to install package drivers for other locales.

The first priority should be to get searches for "firefox mobile" right,
then see if there is anything that we can do about the more general
"firefox" searches from the native browser.

Lets get bugs on file.

-chofmann

On 12/19/11 3:01 PM, Jaclyn Fu wrote:

> Hi Marcio,
>
> Thanks for that insight! We're currently in the progress of implementing
> search engine optimizations and streamlining our content so that this
> search experience can be easier and more effective. We want to point users
> looking for Firefox to the Android Market or our mozilla.org website.
>
> I just tried it out myself and searched for "Firefox", and when I clicked
> on the first result I was served a Linux download button as well.  We'll
> get this fixed ASAP!
>
> Thanks for letting us know Marcio!
>
> Best,
> Jaclyn
>

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Marcio Galli<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> I finally acquired an okay cellphone, a motorola with Android 2.3.5 in
>> Brazil so I wanted to sort of see the Firefox experience. Sharing my
>> observations:
>>
>> * Went to google. Said "Firefox", google properly returned good data
>> however .br results because somehow I am set to google.com.br.
>> * First result was a Brazilian web site, mozdev br something, clicked and
>> went straight to this contributor web site, which offered me Firefox for
>> linux.
>> * Then, after downloading and realization that it was .tar.gz something I
>> cancelled and clicked back
>> * To then get a bunch of pages I think are not relevant to mobile.
>> Another attempt, I said "firefox mobile":
>>
>> * It gave me pt-PT results mobile page, sort of fine
>> * Clicked on it, and had to switch to pt-BR then finally I was able to
>> download
>>
>> I do believe, not tested, that Firefox mobile is available in the market of
>> apps however I wanted to share this end-user view experience which was a
>> sort of "first time" user simulation I did. My case here is that some,
>> maybe old Firefox fans, would try to go searches as not everyone may
>> understand the market and its dependencies.
>>
>> Marcio
>>
>> --
>> T e l a S o c i a l / T a b o c a L a b s
>> www.telasocial.com

Re: Firefox, from mobile, from Brazil

Luca Toledo
Btw,

Brazil Now Has 236M Mobile Numbers (+20%) http://tnw.co/sPGU04

Bjs
Luca

Luca Toledo
Cyborg Anthropologist
5511 8131.0011
skype luca.toledo
 [image: Linkedin] <http://br.linkedin.com/in/lucatoledo>[image:
Twitter]<http://twitter.com/lucatoledo>[image:
Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/lucatoledo>[image:
del.icio.us]<http://delicious.com/lucatoledo>[image:
Tumblr] <http://lucatoledo.tumblr.com/>

Let's spread Firefox together and promote the open
Web!<http://www.mozilla.org/firefox/>

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 11:49 PM, chris hofmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This probably explains why pt-PT mobile update pings out number pt-BR by
> about 7000 to 1, where as on the desktop its just about the reverse ratio.
>
> If the phone is set to  Locale=Portugues we will need to figure out how to
> pack the idea that we have two versions available.
>
> Mobile Test Drivers can also help in surfacing these kind of navigation to
> install package drivers for other locales.
>
> The first priority should be to get searches for "firefox mobile" right,
> then see if there is anything that we can do about the more general
> "firefox" searches from the native browser.
>
> Lets get bugs on file.
>
> -chofmann
>

> On 12/19/11 3:01 PM, Jaclyn Fu wrote:
>
>> Hi Marcio,
>>
>> Thanks for that insight! We're currently in the progress of implementing
>> search engine optimizations and streamlining our content so that this
>> search experience can be easier and more effective. We want to point users
>> looking for Firefox to the Android Market or our mozilla.org website.
>>
>> I just tried it out myself and searched for "Firefox", and when I clicked
>> on the first result I was served a Linux download button as well.  We'll
>> get this fixed ASAP!
>>
>> Thanks for letting us know Marcio!
>>
>> Best,
>> Jaclyn
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Marcio Galli<[hidden email]>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>  I finally acquired an okay cellphone, a motorola with Android 2.3.5 in
>>> Brazil so I wanted to sort of see the Firefox experience. Sharing my
>>> observations:
>>>
>>> * Went to google. Said "Firefox", google properly returned good data
>>> however .br results because somehow I am set to google.com.br.
>>> * First result was a Brazilian web site, mozdev br something, clicked and
>>> went straight to this contributor web site, which offered me Firefox for
>>> linux.
>>> * Then, after downloading and realization that it was .tar.gz something I
>>> cancelled and clicked back
>>> * To then get a bunch of pages I think are not relevant to mobile.
>>> Another attempt, I said "firefox mobile":
>>>
>>> * It gave me pt-PT results mobile page, sort of fine
>>> * Clicked on it, and had to switch to pt-BR then finally I was able to
>>> download
>>>
>>> I do believe, not tested, that Firefox mobile is available in the market
>>> of
>>> apps however I wanted to share this end-user view experience which was a
>>> sort of "first time" user simulation I did. My case here is that some,
>>> maybe old Firefox fans, would try to go searches as not everyone may
>>> understand the market and its dependencies.
>>>
>>> Marcio
>>>
>>> --
>>> T e l a S o c i a l / T a b o c a L a b s
>>> www.telasocial.com

Re: Firefox, from mobile, from Brazil

Marcio Galli-3
Thanks Jaclyn, Chris everyone for the follow ups.

On the BR topic, interesting data and new leanings for me...

This high number, more than the population, seems to be an effect based in
the current scenario of high cost usage for telecom plus the deals that
cellphone carriers are selling. They do things like if you call from cell
carrier "Claro" to another Claro cellphone, then you pay less — all them
have this. Not counting the family plans, date plans, friends plans —
social networking via plans.

The number of multi chip cellphones is huge now — mostly china. Folks with
2 is common, folks with 3 happens a lot. One day, when I was listening to
radio, it came out a program sort of AD where a person "sells" him/herself
to others, like I am tall, short, and so on, and at the end, the dude said:
My phones are: Carrier TIM:1111 carrier Claro: 2222, Carrier OI: 33333 :)
heheh I was like shit the dude tells his whole life on the phone and plus
all his three phone numbers. He certainly understand the market. It's
common here for me to sometimes not get a call from a friend if you are not
using the same carrier :)

I feel it's a bit tricky to get Firefox on it. I also wonder when we would
be able to ship the browser with some of them? Are there plans?

Because the manufacturers seems to be either being owners of the portals (
I see this happening with TV ) of access or partner with a co-brand /
filter right? I see the Android market, it's frequently different in each
device. Would it be possible to ship Firefox perhaps with some limited
integration with the distributor? This makes sense from the vision of
openness in Mozilla?

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Luca Toledo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Btw,
>
> Brazil Now Has 236M Mobile Numbers (+20%) http://tnw.co/sPGU04
>
> Bjs
> Luca
>

> Luca Toledo
> Cyborg Anthropologist
> 5511 8131.0011
> skype luca.toledo
>  [image: Linkedin] <http://br.linkedin.com/in/lucatoledo>[image: Twitter]<http://twitter.com/lucatoledo>[image:
> Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/lucatoledo>[image: del.icio.us]<http://delicious.com/lucatoledo>[image:
> Tumblr] <http://lucatoledo.tumblr.com/>
>
> Let's spread Firefox together and promote the open Web!<http://www.mozilla.org/firefox/>
>

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 11:49 PM, chris hofmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> This probably explains why pt-PT mobile update pings out number pt-BR by
>> about 7000 to 1, where as on the desktop its just about the reverse ratio.
>>
>> If the phone is set to  Locale=Portugues we will need to figure out how
>> to pack the idea that we have two versions available.
>>
>> Mobile Test Drivers can also help in surfacing these kind of navigation
>> to install package drivers for other locales.
>>
>> The first priority should be to get searches for "firefox mobile" right,
>> then see if there is anything that we can do about the more general
>> "firefox" searches from the native browser.
>>
>> Lets get bugs on file.
>>
>> -chofmann
>>

>> On 12/19/11 3:01 PM, Jaclyn Fu wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Marcio,
>>>
>>> Thanks for that insight! We're currently in the progress of implementing
>>> search engine optimizations and streamlining our content so that this
>>> search experience can be easier and more effective. We want to point
>>> users
>>> looking for Firefox to the Android Market or our mozilla.org website.
>>>
>>> I just tried it out myself and searched for "Firefox", and when I clicked
>>> on the first result I was served a Linux download button as well.  We'll
>>> get this fixed ASAP!
>>>
>>> Thanks for letting us know Marcio!
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Jaclyn
>>>

>>> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Marcio Galli<[hidden email]>
>>>  wrote:
>>>
>>>  I finally acquired an okay cellphone, a motorola with Android 2.3.5 in

T e l a S o c i a l / T a b o c a L a b s
www.telasocial.com

Re: Firefox, from mobile, from Brazil

Gregory Jost
Hi Marcio,
Let me ask you a quick question. We don't currently support pt-BR on
Android (because the Android market only offers pt-PT).
We are working on featuring mobile more prominently on this page
<http://www.mozilla.org/pt-BR/firefox/fx/>  (the home page users see
when the Firefox version they use is up-to-date).

Do you think it makes sense to offer the pt-PT version to Brazilian
users or is it better to promote something else (like say, customization
& add-ons)?

Your opinion would be helpful.

Thanks
Greg

Le 12/20/11 3:21 PM, Marcio Galli a écrit :

> [...]
>> Tumblr]<http://lucatoledo.tumblr.com/>
>>
>> Let's spread Firefox together and promote the open Web!<http://www.mozilla.org/firefox/>
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 11:49 PM, chris hofmann<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> This probably explains why pt-PT mobile update pings out number pt-BR by
>>> about 7000 to 1, where as on the desktop its just about the reverse ratio.
>>>
>>> If the phone is set to  Locale=Portugues we will need to figure out how
>>> to pack the idea that we have two versions available.
>>>
>>> Mobile Test Drivers can also help in surfacing these kind of navigation
>>> to install package drivers for other locales.
>>>
>>> The first priority should be to get searches for "firefox mobile" right,
>>> then see if there is anything that we can do about the more general
>>> "firefox" searches from the native browser.

Hi Gregory,

I am also brazilian and in my opinion it makes all sense to offer the pt-PT
version to Brazilian users. English is still a barrier for many brazilians.

My 2 cents

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Gregory Jost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> T e l a S o c i a l / T a b o c a L a b swww.telasocial.com

> Interested in promoting Mozilla? Check out the Mozilla Community
> Marketing
> Guide: http://contribute.mozilla.org/**Marketing<http://contribute.mozilla.org/Marketing> <http://contribute.mozilla.org/Marketing>[hidden email]://lists.mozilla.org/**listinfo/marketing<https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/marketing> <https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/marketing>
>
>   ______________________________**_________________
> Interested in promoting Mozilla? Check out the Mozilla Community
> Marketing Guide: http://contribute.mozilla.org/**Marketing<http://contribute.mozilla.org/Marketing> <http://contribute.mozilla.org/Marketing>[hidden email]://lists.mozilla.org/**listinfo/marketing<https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/marketing> <https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/marketing>

Axel Hecht
I'd not make that call based on what we support today, as that's going
to change quite drastically with 11 and native UI, which is going to
come in single-locale builds.

Axel

On 20.12.11 15:32, Gregory Jost wrote:

> [...]
>> openness in Mozilla?

>> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Luca Toledo<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Btw,
>>>
>>> Brazil Now Has 236M Mobile Numbers (+20%) http://tnw.co/sPGU04
>>>
>>> Bjs
>>> Luca
>>>

>>> Luca Toledo
>>> Cyborg Anthropologist
>>> 5511 8131.0011
>>> [hidden email]
>>> [hidden email]
>>> skype luca.toledo
>>> [image: Linkedin]<http://br.linkedin.com/in/lucatoledo>[image:
>>> Twitter]<http://twitter.com/lucatoledo>[image:
>>> Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/lucatoledo>[image:
>>> del.icio.us]<http://delicious.com/lucatoledo>[image:
>>> Tumblr]<http://lucatoledo.tumblr.com/>
>>>
>>> Let's spread Firefox together and promote the open

Considering the amount of issues, the nature of the market in BR now, I
would focus in strategic things. I mean, even understanding that we have
220m numbers, not people, using, I do think the low numbers in FF mobile is
a) nature of the hassle to go to market + b) no one has a smart phone that
is capable of running FF mobile. Actual personal log numbers ( just looked
up now ) are:

* Sample of last 30 days, 100k users, 98% from Google organic, general
service ( not geek site )  {
    * about 1K users, 0.51% Android
    * 36% Chrome, 35% IE, 24% Firefox
    * 11 users with Firefox Android
}

So my original thread was another case. It was simply the case of improving
the flow for a perhaps user ( 11 users )  that is fan of Firefox, a lover (
a potential contributor ) that wanted to access information on it, or the
sort of "hey let's see how is Firefox doing here in the new device I
brought". That flow is broken IMHO and I do think Jaclyn/ Chris initial
bugs are good.

I do think this flow is important because these sort of early adopters are
the folks helping us. They need to be able to find things like Aurora when
they start from a search Firefox mobile on Google. So they can enable
feedback/analysis and help Mozilla out to reach market.

Strategically wise, the medium/long vision, I simply think the actual move
is do whatever it talkes to have the right locale browser served via the
easiest route. As probably pointed, Native UI, which I am guessing could be
the answer? I do not understand the problems from the market angle, I see
now the note that market offers pt-PT. This is very strangle, google
employees are very aware Brazil is more market than pt-PT and a lot of
software products are first done in pt-PT.

Marcio

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Axel Hecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> are not
>>> using the same carrier :)

>>> I feel it's a bit tricky to get Firefox on it. I also wonder when we
>>> would
>>> be able to ship the browser with some of them? Are there plans?
>>>
>>> Because the manufacturers seems to be either being owners of the
>>> portals (
>>> I see this happening with TV ) of access or partner with a co-brand /
>>> filter right? I see the Android market, it's frequently different in each
>>> device. Would it be possible to ship Firefox perhaps with some limited
>>> integration with the distributor? This makes sense from the vision of
>>> openness in Mozilla?

>>> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Luca Toledo<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Btw,

T e l a S o c i a l / T a b o c a L a b s

reuben.morais (Bugzilla)
This topic reminded me of a Thunderbird localization bug, closed
recently as invalid:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=692425. The bad
translations the user is reporting there are all from the pt-PT
localization.

Googling for Thunderbird shows br.mozdev.org as the first result, with
good sub-links and the actual download I wanted, but hey, I don't know
what this mozdev thing is, it's probably a scam, so I'm actually going
to click on the fourth result, from www.mozilla.org, which is
www.mozilla.org/pt-PT/thunderbird/

The pt-BR page is not in the first 10 pages of Google results – in
other words, it doesn't exist. The user downloads the pt-PT version,
and has a fun time laughing at the artificial strings (pt-PT looks
like automatically translated text for Brazilian Portuguese speakers),
and thinks that's the only Portuguese version available. Notice how he
reported the bug under the pt-BR component, and explicitly mentioned
'PtBR' in the title.

@Jaclyn, is the SEO process you mentioned specific for Android, or is
it happening on mozilla.org as a whole? How can local communities
help?

--
Cheers,
Reuben Morais