Re: Firefox 31

os24u
** Reply to note from [hidden email] Tue, 03 Sep 2019 12:00:02 +0000

> What's the URL for getting this animal, i.e. FF31? And what more  software does She need to install it? As I'm running
> WSeB, She thinks  that the gcccore(sp?) is installed, but can She get info which build it  is? The last package that was
> downloaded is GCC-3.3.5-csd6.zip, but is  there a newwer version out there? Perhaps the Warpzilla can get info on  this
> as well on freetype, exceptq and other stuff that's needed for  getting FF31 working? And can it use the old profile data
> that FF  17.0.1ESR uses or must it be converted? In the README.OS2 for FF45 there  was some dire warnings about
> compatability with the old .sql files  that FF 10.0.2 and 17.0.1ESR uses. Best would be if FF31 is compatible  with the
> current .sql files, then it would only be to install,  eventually upgrading GCC and freetyp and then kick it off with a .cmd
> file. She's not acquainted with the Run! program, so She uses .cmd files  instead for launcing the various FF versions.

 http://wisdomtree.info/zsoft/os2/internet/browser/firefox-31.8en-USos2b5.zip

No .cmd file necessary to start; firefox -P profilename in an object is sufficient.

Get pmdll-2.12.zip likely from Hobbes. Run this against firefox.exe and it's dll files. Anything in red is missing. Write list
of missing files and I will send them to you.

Have never tried to use a profile from prior version. Always made a new profile and copied over relevant files. It may
function though.

        Cal

Re: Firefox 31

Dave Yeo-3
[hidden email] wrote:
> Have never tried to use a profile from prior version. Always made a new profile and copied over relevant files. It may
> function though.

The profiles are generally compatible though it is always a good idea to
keep backups. The sqlite thing is between FF4 and older ones IIRC.
Really should be running the newer the better.
Dave

Re: Firefox 31

Christer Jacobsson
[hidden email] wrote:
> ** Reply to note from [hidden email] Tue, 03 Sep 2019 12:00:02 +0000

As Salaam Aleikum!

>> What's the URL for getting this animal, i.e. FF31? And what more  software does She need to install it? As I'm running
>> WSeB, She thinks  that the gcccore(sp?) is installed, but can She get info which build it  is? The last package that was
>> downloaded is GCC-3.3.5-csd6.zip, but is  there a newwer version out there? Perhaps the Warpzilla can get info on  this
>> as well on freetype, exceptq and other stuff that's needed for  getting FF31 working? And can it use the old profile data
>> that FF  17.0.1ESR uses or must it be converted? In the README.OS2 for FF45 there  was some dire warnings about
>> compatability with the old .sql files  that FF 10.0.2 and 17.0.1ESR uses. Best would be if FF31 is compatible  with the
>> current .sql files, then it would only be to install,  eventually upgrading GCC and freetyp and then kick it off with a .cmd
>> file. She's not acquainted with the Run! program, so She uses .cmd files  instead for launcing the various FF versions.
>
>  http://wisdomtree.info/zsoft/os2/internet/browser/firefox-31.8en-USos2b5.zip

Ok, so She downloads this file from the above URL and unzips it in it's
proper place in the mozilla tree.

> No .cmd file necessary to start; firefox -P profilename in an object is sufficient.

But She may have to use a .cmd file to start FF31.8.en-USos2b26,
especially if She also have SMPMW118 running. Currently, when She sees a
link in Her mail,She copies it to the clipboard, close down SMPMW118 and
then fires up FF - this ole' box only have 640Mib RAM but the new box
have 4Gib RAM so the mailer and FF could be run 'in parallell' without
any hassle if .cmd files are used for kicking them off.

> Get pmdll-2.12.zip likely from Hobbes. Run this against firefox.exe and it's dll files. Anything in red is missing. Write list
> of missing files and I will send them to you.

Thank the Great Mother for that! Nowadays, hobbes can be reached by a
web browser instead by NFTP/2 - NFTP has no search options but the
web-based hobbes have a search function so searching for the
abovmentioned tool should be a piece of cake :-)

> Have never tried to use a profile from prior version. Always made a new profile and copied over relevant files. It may
> function though.

She has two profiles for FF 10.0.2 and FF 17.0.1ESR, one that requires
Her to enter a password and one called 'newprofile' that don't requires
any password. Here using for example the 'newprofile' against 10.0.2 and
17.0.1ESR has given Her no troubles at all.

Bot when we are at the subject of profiles: Is there any way of syncing
the profiles from the mailer and the various FF profiles WITHOUT having
to store the profile data in the 'cloud'? She gets jumpy of putting such
sensitive data in the cloud so every intelligence agancy like our
Swedish FRA, the CIA, FSB and other interested parties can access my
personal data. That's why She didn't buy a Huawei smartphone instead of
the model She now have - a special smartphone which is designed to be
easy to use by persons haveing sight and/or hearing impairments which
She have. With a Huawei you don't know how many 'backdoors' the phone is
programmed with which will send data to the Chinese intelligence
services. She wants Her data on Her smartphone PRIVATE, not accessible
by others She don't trust. Sharing data with persons She knows well is OK.

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 23th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
        Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)

Re: Firefox 31

Christer Jacobsson
Dave Yeo wrote:
> [hidden email] wrote:

As Salaam Aleikum!

>> Have never tried to use a profile from prior version. Always made a
>> new profile and copied over relevant files. It may
>> function though.

She think that there is three files regarding security info which are
called 7840something plus an extension of .w, .s and perhaps others.
There exist a file called secmod.db plus two other files with the .db
extensions. These files are probably compatible between the various FF
versions. But what of the .sqlite files? Should She import them into
FF31 so they gets the right format for FF31 or are they not
version-dependent?

> The profiles are generally compatible though it is always a good idea to
> keep backups. The sqlite thing is between FF4 and older ones IIRC.
> Really should be running the newer the better.

First, does She need to backup these .sqlite file once or after every
use of FF31? They take up a lot of space, so is there some utility that
can "vacuum-clean" these files to make them smaller?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan

[hidden email] wrote:
> ** Reply to note from [hidden email] Tue, 03 Sep 2019 12:00:02 +0000

As Salaam Aleikum!

>> What's the URL for getting this animal, i.e. FF31? And what more  software does She need to install it? As I'm running
>> WSeB, She thinks  that the gcccore(sp?) is installed, but can She get info which build it  is? The last package that was
>> downloaded is GCC-3.3.5-csd6.zip, but is  there a newwer version out there? Perhaps the Warpzilla can get info on  this
>> as well on freetype, exceptq and other stuff that's needed for  getting FF31 working? And can it use the old profile data
>> that FF  17.0.1ESR uses or must it be converted? In the README.OS2 for FF45 there  was some dire warnings about
>> compatability with the old .sql files  that FF 10.0.2 and 17.0.1ESR uses. Best would be if FF31 is compatible  with the
>> current .sql files, then it would only be to install,  eventually upgrading GCC and freetyp and then kick it off with a .cmd
>> file. She's not acquainted with the Run! program, so She uses .cmd files  instead for launcing the various FF versions.
>
>  http://wisdomtree.info/zsoft/os2/internet/browser/firefox-31.8en-USos2b5.zip

She have just fired up FF17.0.1ESR and started the download. But the
download is terrible slow (She only have a 60Mib/sec internet
connection), so are they any download programs that can be used instead
of the browser? NFTP/2 or PM Download are two examples of downloader
programs currently on Her system. Looking at the stats in the download
window in FF17 it have only download 4.6Mib of 43.8Mib and this have
taken ten(!) minutes - it seems that the download have frozen at this
point - nothing seems to happen at all :-(

> No .cmd file necessary to start; firefox -P profilename in an object is sufficient.
>
> Get pmdll-2.12.zip likely from Hobbes. Run this against firefox.exe and it's dll files. Anything in red is missing. Write list
> of missing files and I will send them to you.
>
> Have never tried to use a profile from prior version. Always made a new profile and copied over relevant files. It may
> function though.

Will do that when the download is complete

[hidden email] wrote:
> ** Reply to note from [hidden email] Tue, 03 Sep 2019 12:00:02 +0000

As Salaam Aleikum!

>> What's the URL for getting this animal, i.e. FF31? And what more  software does She need to install it? As I'm running
>> WSeB, She thinks  that the gcccore(sp?) is installed, but can She get info which build it  is? The last package that was
>> downloaded is GCC-3.3.5-csd6.zip, but is  there a newwer version out there? Perhaps the Warpzilla can get info on  this
>> as well on freetype, exceptq and other stuff that's needed for  getting FF31 working? And can it use the old profile data
>> that FF  17.0.1ESR uses or must it be converted? In the README.OS2 for FF45 there  was some dire warnings about
>> compatability with the old .sql files  that FF 10.0.2 and 17.0.1ESR uses. Best would be if FF31 is compatible  with the
>> current .sql files, then it would only be to install,  eventually upgrading GCC and freetyp and then kick it off with a .cmd
>> file. She's not acquainted with the Run! program, so She uses .cmd files  instead for launcing the various FF versions.
>
>  http://wisdomtree.info/zsoft/os2/internet/browser/firefox-31.8en-USos2b5.zip
>
> No .cmd file necessary to start; firefox -P profilename in an object is sufficient.
>
> Get pmdll-2.12.zip likely from Hobbes. Run this against firefox.exe and it's dll files. Anything in red is missing. Write list
> of missing files and I will send them to you.
>
> Have never tried to use a profile from prior version. Always made a new profile and copied over relevant files. It may
> function though.

When She gets a new version of FF, She goes through the Settings
notebook and ticks off those that are relevant for that version, for
example that FF should save all passwords and login info for the sites
She uses that requires a login-name and pw. Some sites don't need any
login name or password at all - for example the www.fass.se which is the
online version of the physical book called FASS which stands for (in
English) Pharmaceutical Specialities In Sweden) which contains info of
every drug that is avaiable here in Sweden whether the drug is a 'Over
The Couhter" that don't need a prescription and these that requires a
prescription.

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan

[hidden email] wrote:
> ** Reply to note from [hidden email] Tue, 03 Sep 2019 12:00:02 +0000

As Salaam Aleikum!

>> What's the URL for getting this animal, i.e. FF31? And what more  software does She need to install it? As I'm running
>> WSeB, She thinks  that the gcccore(sp?) is installed, but can She get info which build it  is? The last package that was
>> downloaded is GCC-3.3.5-csd6.zip, but is  there a newwer version out there? Perhaps the Warpzilla can get info on  this
>> as well on freetype, exceptq and other stuff that's needed for  getting FF31 working? And can it use the old profile data
>> that FF  17.0.1ESR uses or must it be converted? In the README.OS2 for FF45 there  was some dire warnings about
>> compatability with the old .sql files  that FF 10.0.2 and 17.0.1ESR uses. Best would be if FF31 is compatible  with the
>> current .sql files, then it would only be to install,  eventually upgrading GCC and freetyp and then kick it off with a .cmd
>> file. She's not acquainted with the Run! program, so She uses .cmd files  instead for launcing the various FF versions.
>
>  http://wisdomtree.info/zsoft/os2/internet/browser/firefox-31.8en-USos2b5.zip
>
> No .cmd file necessary to start; firefox -P profilename in an object is sufficient.
>
> Get pmdll-2.12.zip likely from Hobbes. Run this against firefox.exe and it's dll files. Anything in red is missing. Write list
> of missing files and I will send them to you.

Ran pmdll against firefox.exe and up came a short list of dll's that
firefox have, one is marked in red and is called gcc1.dll. The program
DIDN'T walk down FF31 tree but only checked the dll's for firefox.exe.
And in the Select window you can't select all the dll's you wants to be
checked, it only allows checking ONE entry in the dll tree! So what in
the nine purple hells of Palain(*) is going on here? How does She do so
that pmdll checks EVERY dll in the firefox tree?

On another tack: in the readme.os2 file for ff31 it is stated that for
example libc-0.6.6-26.oc00.i386 is a RPM file with the extension of
.rpm. But She don't have the rpm-yum package in the current OS She's
running, WSeB, Can this file be downloaded as a .wpi file instead and
using Warpin to install it? The same goes for several other things like
freetyp6 are listed as rpm files. So must She install the latest rpm-yum
package in WSeB or does these various files/libraries also exist as .wpi
files? The last time She tried to install rpm-yum was a few years back
and it failed to install. But ANPM is installed in eCs 1.2 so perhaps it
will be better building FF45 with ANPM which will install the latest
rmm-yum on the eCs 1.2 system. Then downlading these rpm packages that
FF31 requires and just install them in their proper place in the FF31 tree

> Have never tried to use a profile from prior version. Always made a new profile and copied over relevant files. It may
> function though.

But is the format for the .sqlite files the same as these that FF10-0.2
and FF17.0.1ESR uses? If so, FF31 can be called with the default profile
which requirs a passord or with newprofile which don't need any password
to be entered. But the first thing to do after FF31 is correctly
installed is to start it, opening the notebook and walk through it,
setting the desired preferences, save them and close down FF31 so the
settings will take effect when FF31 is called up next time

(*) A wondeful spacman's oath from E.E. 'Doc Smiths Lensman series of books.

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 23th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
        Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)
        Team eCs       e-mail:  [hidden email]   (Alternate)
        Team DRW       Dare Refuse Windows
        Chunkawakan    Lakota/Sioux: Horse

Re: Firefox 31

Mozilla - OS/2 mailing list
On 09/06/2019 01:04 AM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> But She don't have the rpm-yum package in the current OS She's
> running, WSeB, Can this file be downloaded as a .wpi file instead and
> using Warpin to install it? The same goes for several other things like
> freetyp6 are listed as rpm files.

It certainly is possible to avoid rpm; you can find what you need here:
http://os2news.warpstock.org/Warpzilla.html

I don't know why you would bother with Firefox 31, rather than Dave's
latest "SUa2" builds.

Re: Firefox 31

Christer Jacobsson
Steve Wendt wrote:
> On 09/06/2019 01:04 AM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:

As Salaam Aleikum!

>> But She don't have the rpm-yum package in the current OS She's
>> running, WSeB, Can this file be downloaded as a .wpi file instead and
>> using Warpin to install it? The same goes for several other things
>> like freetyp6 are listed as rpm files.
>
> It certainly is possible to avoid rpm; you can find what you need here:
> http://os2news.warpstock.org/Warpzilla.html

Yup, THAT page have She visited very often and pulled home required
software for FF 10.0.12 and 17.0,1ESR. So do you mean that She can pull
home the required software for 31 from there using 17.0.1ESR? Or She can
boot back to eCs 1.2 where ANPM is installed and firs build the 45
version with that tool. Then via 45 pull home the .rpm files that 31
needs and install them.

> I don't know why you would bother with Firefox 31, rather than Dave's
> latest "SUa2" builds.

Now what in the nine purple hells of Palain(*) is this "SUa2 builds"
animal? And She needs a working 31 or 45 rather soon to be able to pay a
subscription at ArcaNoae's site to get the 10% rebate that expires
2019-09-09.

(*) A wonderful spaceman's oath in E.E. 'Doc Smiths Lensman books.

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan

On 9/6/2019 1:09 PM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:

>> It certainly is possible to avoid rpm; you can find what you need here:
>> http://os2news.warpstock.org/Warpzilla.html
>
> Yup, THAT page have She visited very often and pulled home required
> software for FF 10.0.12 and 17.0,1ESR. So do you mean that She can pull
> home the required software for 31 from there using 17.0.1ESR?

The required DLLs can be found in the mozsupport package, found in the
"Latest Versions" column (cairo/pango/libcn).  Be sure to also read the
included readme regarding fontconfig, though.

>> I don't know why you would bother with Firefox 31, rather than Dave's
>> latest "SUa2" builds.
>
> Now what in the nine purple hells of Palain(*) is this "SUa2 builds"
> animal?

It's the latest build of 45esr with additional fixes.

Re: Firefox 31

Christer Jacobsson
Steve Wendt wrote:
> On 9/6/2019 1:09 PM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:

As Salaam Aleikum!

>>> It certainly is possible to avoid rpm; you can find what you need here:
>>> http://os2news.warpstock.org/Warpzilla.html
>>
>> Yup, THAT page have She visited very often and pulled home required
>> software for FF 10.0.12 and 17.0,1ESR. So do you mean that She can
>> pull home the required software for 31 from there using 17.0.1ESR?
>
> The required DLLs can be found in the mozsupport package, found in the
> "Latest Versions" column (cairo/pango/libcn).  Be sure to also read the
> included readme regarding fontconfig, though.

And mozsupport can be found on the warpzilla or must She get it from
some other site?

>>> I don't know why you would bother with Firefox 31, rather than Dave's
>>> latest "SUa2" builds.
>>
>> Now what in the nine purple hells of Palain(*) is this "SUa2 builds"
>> animal?
>
> It's the latest build of 45esr with additional fixes.

And where can She get this version of FF?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan

On 09/07/2019 04:03 AM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:

>> The required DLLs can be found in the mozsupport package, found in the
>> "Latest Versions" column (cairo/pango/libcn).  Be sure to also read
>> the included readme regarding fontconfig, though.
>
> And mozsupport can be found on the warpzilla or must She get it from
> some other site?

> And where can She get this version of FF?

Again, it's all linked in the "Latest Versions" column.

Re: Firefox 31

Dave Yeo-3
Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> Dave Yeo wrote:
>> [hidden email] wrote:
>
> As Salaam Aleikum!
>
>>> Have never tried to use a profile from prior version. Always made a
>>> new profile and copied over relevant files. It may
>>> function though.
>>

> She think that there is three files regarding security info which are
> called 7840something plus an extension of .w, .s and perhaps others.
> There exist a file called secmod.db plus two other files with the .db
> extensions. These files are probably compatible between the various FF
> versions. But what of the .sqlite files? Should She import them into
> FF31 so they gets the right format for FF31 or are they not
> version-dependent?

They're version-independent from FFv4 forward. All the profile is
forward compatible and usually backwards compatible as well.

>> The profiles are generally compatible though it is always a good idea
>> to keep backups. The sqlite thing is between FF4 and older ones IIRC.
>> Really should be running the newer the better.
>
> First, does She need to backup these .sqlite file once or after every
> use of FF31? They take up a lot of space, so is there some utility that
> can "vacuum-clean" these files to make them smaller?

There are vacuuming extensions/apps but they don't shrink the sqlite
files much.
It's up you how often you backup. I do it about once a day (don't want
to lose my mail) and keep 2 generations.

Dave