Re: Firefox 1.5.0.2 Dosen't open pages.

Matt Nordhoff
On 04/20/06 07:58, Alex wrote:

> What is really outrageous is that if you have an off-the-shelf system
> that came with XP preloaded, and need to replace the motherboard at some
> point, you have two choices:
>
> 1.  Buy the replacement from the computer manufacturer.
>
> 2.  Buy a new motherboard *AND* a new copy of XP!
>
> My experience with the "recovery" cd's that they ship with a new PC is
> that if the BIOS ID string doesn't match what is coded into their
> recovery system, it will not allow you to proceed.
>
> So you have paid for XP by virtue of it being preloaded on the PC you
> bought, but you can only use it on that system!
>
> If you had the retail version, under the same scenario, you can
> re-install it with no problem, (umm, let me rephrase that, it will allow
> you to reinstall it, whether there are problems or not, cross your
> fingers) although you will have to go through their authorization hoops.

AFAIK, you can call up Microsoft and ask for a new registration key.

Also AFAIK, various websites give instructions on how to preserve your
old one, though I don't know if they work for hardware changes or just
reinstalls.

(Crossposted to and Followup-To mozilla.general. Everybody seems to have
forgotten that group exists.)
--
Matt Nordhoff
(aka Peng on IRC & the forums)

On 04/21/06 13:43, The Real Bev wrote:
> That's the way it SHOULD work and the way it DOES work with linux. Even
> easier, actually.  Every once in a while I run a linux backup to one of
> two partitions on a second HD.  Should disaster strike, all I need to do
> is reboot, choose to run the system on one of the backup partitions, and
> then either fix the disaster or copy over whatever I think is important
> -- like my mail files.

Unless that disaster be a hard drive failure, of course.

(Crossposted to and Followup-To mozilla.general. Everybody seems to have
forgotten that group exists. And I'm getting tired of copying and
pasting this.)
--
Matt Nordhoff
(aka Peng on IRC & the forums)

On 04/22/06 03:19, Ron Hunter wrote:
> I have never found command line interfaces to be in any way, shape, or
> form, 'convenient'.  W2K and WinXP both have quite accessible command
> line interfaces for those times when they are needed.  I suspect that
> many of the 'nay-sayers' concerning WinXP are just not aware of the full
> facilities of the OS.

Sometimes I find a command with a few arguments is a lot easier than
figuring out how to do the equivalent task in a GUI. They're both good
at different things.

(Crossposted to and Followup-To mozilla.general. Everybody seems to have
forgotten that group exists. And I'm getting tired of copying and
pasting this. Seriously.)
--
Matt Nordhoff
(aka Peng on IRC & the forums)

On 04/22/06 10:17, Ed Mullen wrote:
> Err, Reg?  Where /should/ one backup?  The odds of both a primary drive
> and a separate backup drive going together are pretty darned slim,
> especially if the backup drive is only used for that.

To multiple redundant RAID 1-using servers in multiple secure locations
with redundant backup power! 8-)

And DVDs (Blu-ray? ;-) ) in multiple locations, and multiple other hard
drives on-site for more convenience.

(Crossposted to and Followup-To mozilla.general. Everybody seems to have
forgotten that group exists. And I'm getting tired of copying and
pasting this. Seriously. God.)
--
Matt Nordhoff
(aka Peng on IRC & the forums)

Re: Firefox 1.5.0.2 Dosen't open pages.

squaredancer
On 23.04.2006 12:13, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Matt Nordhoff
to generate the following:? :

> On 04/22/06 10:17, Ed Mullen wrote:
>
>> Err, Reg?  Where /should/ one backup?  The odds of both a primary
>> drive and a separate backup drive going together are pretty darned
>> slim, especially if the backup drive is only used for that.
>

> To multiple redundant RAID 1-using servers in multiple secure
> locations with redundant backup power! 8-)
>
> And DVDs (Blu-ray? ;-) ) in multiple locations, and multiple other
> hard drives on-site for more convenience.
>
> (Crossposted to and Followup-To mozilla.general. Everybody seems to
> have forgotten that group exists. And I'm getting tired of copying and
> pasting this. Seriously. God.)

re-named Matt to read "Post-Police"  (stop "cutting and pasting" and

reg

Re: Firefox 1.5.0.2 Dosen't open pages.

gwtc-4
squaredancer wrote:

>>(Crossposted to and Followup-To mozilla.general. Everybody seems to
>>have forgotten that group exists. And I'm getting tired of copying and
>>pasting this. Seriously. God.)
>

> re-named Matt to read "Post-Police"  (stop "cutting and pasting" and
>
> reg
No, maybe he should change his name to Chris II

--
Things to Ponder about: Why do toasters always have a setting that
burns the toast to a horrible crisp, which no decent human being would

On 04/23/06 14:06, gwtc wrote:
> No, maybe he should change his name to Chris II

I'm not against off-topic posts at all, though, I just move threads
around a lot.
--
Matt Nordhoff
(aka Peng on IRC & the forums)