Re: Feedback from the DevOps community

Taras Glek-3
On 3/7/2012 9:16 AM, Patrick McManus wrote:

> As I mentioned in another thread, David Baron and I attended a
> Velocity-Conference related event where a bunch of heavyweights from the
> devops community get together with a bunch of browser people to talk
> about the state of web performance . It was a pretty refreshing event -
> smart and experienced folks talking openly in an unconf sort of setting
> about making the web perform better. I learned a lot.
>
> I want to report back on some interesting things on two of the sessions:
> the browser session, and the ssl session.
>
> ======
>
> The "browser" session. Devops folks were invited to bring ideas and
> report on bottlenecks in their designs to the browser folks in the room.
> David dealt with a bunch of things in the content space, but as far as
> networking:
>
> As mentioned in a previous thread - the HTTP cache was a big topic.
> There was a general feeling, undocumented by specific cases, that
> browser's were not delivering cache rates that they expected. These
> folks definitely knew how to set cache-control headers - but the concern
> was not limited to a particular browser.
>
> If you haven't seen Will Chan's (of Chrome) recent post on cache metrics
> of Chrome please check that out:
> https://plus.google.com/103382935642834907366/posts/XRekvZgdnBb (The
> bits attributed to me are not a correct attribution, but it really isn't
> the impt part). He talks about how it takes ~2 days for 75% of users to
> fill up a cache in the 200-300MB range (a rate that definitely won't be
> linear), and how 25%+ of users will clear their cache at least once a
> week (either manually or due to error recovery).. leading to an overally
> generalized hit rate of about 1/3.

Do we have a plan/ETA to keep our cache from not corrupting self?

Taras

PS. I'm amused to see that chrome decided to re-implement our cache
backend along with self-destruct handicap.

Re: Feedback from the DevOps community

Peter Kasting
On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Taras Glek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> PS. I'm amused to see that chrome decided to re-implement our cache
> backend along with self-destruct handicap.

I keep a Chrome-team quote board by my desk and one of the earliest quotes
is Darin Fisher saying "Our project is all about suboptimal at this point."
 My editorial note was "How little things have changed."

PK