Re: FIltering newsgroups

Leonidas Jones-2
Miles wrote:
> * Leonidas Jones wrote, On 2/1/2008 11:08:
>> wtwjgc wrote:
>>> On 01/02/2008 17:59, Larry Gusaas wrote:

/snip/

>> To tell you the truth, I find the kind of drastic snipping recommended
>> in the Etiquette page to be far too much when working a support thread.
>>
>> Lee
>
> I certainly agree, Lee.  It's quite an effort to go back through several
> msgs to read them all.   I use quote collapse and open as necessary.
>
> Believe what is being said is that many users/developers still have dial
> up and can't tolerate the volume; could that still hold true?
> Miles

crossposted and followup set to mozilla.general

No, the bandwidth consumed by the plain text of quotes, (we are all
using plain text here, right?) is not a concern even on dialup.
Attachments are.

The concerns seem to be the pain of scrolling down past the large
volumes of quotes. I don't see it.  I'm suing SeaMonkey right now, Quote
Collapse is not available, but in most cases, a few whacks on the scroll
wheel, or in an extreme case the End key gets me there in a second.
Still, I am trying to conform.

If we want to continue a discussion of snipping quotes, when and how
much, this would be better pursued in Mozilla.general.

Lee

OT was Re: FIltering newsgroups

Daniel-257
Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Miles wrote:
>> * Leonidas Jones wrote, On 2/1/2008 11:08:
>>>

> /snip/

<snip, again>

> The concerns seem to be the pain of scrolling down past the large
> volumes of quotes. I don't see it.  I'm suing SeaMonkey right now, Quote
> Collapse is not available, but in most cases, a few whacks on the scroll
> wheel, or in an extreme case the End key gets me there in a second.
> Still, I am trying to conform.
>
> If we want to continue a discussion of snipping quotes, when and how
> much, this would be better pursued in Mozilla.general.
>
> Lee

Lee, what are you suing SeaMonkey for???

(Edit-Preferences-Mail&Newsgroups-Composition-Spelling)

Daniel

Re: OT was Re: FIltering newsgroups

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
Daniel wrote:

> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> Miles wrote:
>> /snip/
>
> <snip, again>
>
>> The concerns seem to be the pain of scrolling down past the large
>> volumes of quotes. I don't see it.  I'm suing SeaMonkey right now, Quote
>> Collapse is not available, but in most cases, a few whacks on the scroll
>> wheel, or in an extreme case the End key gets me there in a second.
>> Still, I am trying to conform.
>>
>> If we want to continue a discussion of snipping quotes, when and how
>> much, this would be better pursued in Mozilla.general.
>>
>> Lee
>
> Lee, what are you suing SeaMonkey for???
>
> (Edit-Preferences-Mail&Newsgroups-Composition-Spelling)
>
> Daniel

the spelling checker would have been useless, as it would
accept suing as a word.  What we need is a grammar checker

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Notice: This posting is protected under Copyright Laws.

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: OT was Re: FIltering newsgroups

Blinky the Shark

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>>> /snip/
>> <snip, again>
>>
>>> The concerns seem to be the pain of scrolling down past the large
>>> volumes of quotes. I don't see it.  I'm suing SeaMonkey right now, Quote
>>> Collapse is not available, but in most cases, a few whacks on the scroll
>>> wheel, or in an extreme case the End key gets me there in a second.
>>> Still, I am trying to conform.
>>>
>>> If we want to continue a discussion of snipping quotes, when and how
>>> much, this would be better pursued in Mozilla.general.
>>>
>>> Lee
>> Lee, what are you suing SeaMonkey for???
>>
>> (Edit-Preferences-Mail&Newsgroups-Composition-Spelling)
>>
>> Daniel
>
> the spelling checker would have been useless, as it would
> accept suing as a word.  What we need is a grammar checker

A grammar checker would not catch a verb substitution like that either;
the grammar is the same; only the meaning is different.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Daniel wrote:

> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> Miles wrote:
>>>>

>> /snip/
>
> <snip, again>
>
>> The concerns seem to be the pain of scrolling down past the large
>> volumes of quotes. I don't see it.  I'm suing SeaMonkey right now,
>> Quote Collapse is not available, but in most cases, a few whacks on
>> the scroll wheel, or in an extreme case the End key gets me there in a
>> second. Still, I am trying to conform.
>>
>> If we want to continue a discussion of snipping quotes, when and how
>> much, this would be better pursued in Mozilla.general.
>>
>> Lee
>
> Lee, what are you suing SeaMonkey for???
>
> (Edit-Preferences-Mail&Newsgroups-Composition-Spelling)
>
> Daniel

I can't reveal the specifics of my case, but I am going to engage al
smith as my attorney, since his post this morning was so eloquent!  ;)

Lee

Re: OT was Re: FIltering newsgroups

john sumner-2
Leonidas Jones wrote:
> I can't reveal the specifics of my case, but I am going to engage al
> smith as my attorney, since his post this morning was so eloquent!  ;)
>
> Lee

Wonder what law firm law firm he is from<G>

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>>> /snip/
>> <snip, again>
>>
>>> The concerns seem to be the pain of scrolling down past the large
>>> volumes of quotes. I don't see it.  I'm suing SeaMonkey right now,
>>> Quote Collapse is not available, but in most cases, a few whacks on
>>> the scroll wheel, or in an extreme case the End key gets me there in a
>>> second. Still, I am trying to conform.
>>>
>>> If we want to continue a discussion of snipping quotes, when and how
>>> much, this would be better pursued in Mozilla.general.
>>>
>>> Lee
>> Lee, what are you suing SeaMonkey for???
>>
>> (Edit-Preferences-Mail&Newsgroups-Composition-Spelling)
>>
>> Daniel
>
> I can't reveal the specifics of my case, but I am going to engage al
> smith as my attorney, since his post this morning was so eloquent!  ;)
>
> Lee

well, I'd like to read it, but that fricken censor thief
struck again!!!!

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Notice: This posting is protected under Copyright Laws.

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: OT was Re: FIltering newsgroups

Roy Smith-6
john sumner wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> I can't reveal the specifics of my case, but I am going to engage al
>> smith as my attorney, since his post this morning was so eloquent!  ;)
>>
>> Lee
>
> Wonder what law firm law firm he is from<G>

Probably Dewey, Suem, & Howe....  ;-)

--

Roy Smith

I use SeaMonkey because I want to use software that complies
with Web standards.  See <http://www.mozilla.org/>.

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>>>>>

>>> /snip/
>>
>> <snip, again>
>>
>>> The concerns seem to be the pain of scrolling down past the large
>>> volumes of quotes. I don't see it.  I'm suing SeaMonkey right now,
>>> Quote Collapse is not available, but in most cases, a few whacks on
>>> the scroll wheel, or in an extreme case the End key gets me there in
>>> a second. Still, I am trying to conform.
>>>
>>> If we want to continue a discussion of snipping quotes, when and how
>>> much, this would be better pursued in Mozilla.general.
>>>
>>> Lee
>>
>> Lee, what are you suing SeaMonkey for???
>>
>> (Edit-Preferences-Mail&Newsgroups-Composition-Spelling)
>>
>> Daniel
>
> I can't reveal the specifics of my case, but I am going to engage al
> smith as my attorney, since his post this morning was so eloquent!  ;)
>
> Lee

Sorry, the "al smith" reference is lost on this antipodean!

Daniel

Re: OT was Re: FIltering newsgroups

Ed Mullen
squaredancer wrote:

> On 02.02.2008 10:15, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Blinky the
> Shark to generate the following:? :
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>>> the spelling checker would have been useless, as it would accept
>>> suing as a word.  What we need is a grammar checker
>>>

>> A grammar checker would not catch a verb substitution like that
>> either; the grammar is the same; only the meaning is different.
>>

> do you actually KNOW what Lee meant??
>
> reg

I do because:

1.  I know Lee
2.  My "human filter" extension is installed and working in SeaMonkey!

;-)

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

squaredancer wrote:

> On 03.02.2008 05:25, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Ed Mullen to
> generate the following:? :
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>
>>> On 02.02.2008 10:15, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Blinky the
>>> Shark to generate the following:? :

>>> do you actually KNOW what Lee meant??
>>>
>>> reg
>>>

>> I do because:
>>
>> 1.  I know Lee
>> 2.  My "human filter" extension is installed and working in SeaMonkey!
>>
>> ;-)
>>

> hi Ed - have a nice Sunday 8-)
>
> reg

Thanks!  It's been a Super Bowl Sunday so far.  Meaning, for me, uh, "so
there was something happening today I was supposed to watch?"  ;-)

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

squaredancer wrote:

> On 02.02.2008 10:15, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Blinky the
> Shark to generate the following:? :
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>>> the spelling checker would have been useless, as it would
>>> accept suing as a word.  What we need is a grammar checker
>>>
>> A grammar checker would not catch a verb substitution like that either;
>> the grammar is the same; only the meaning is different.
>
> do you actually KNOW what Lee meant??

It is irrelevant to my point.  If he meant "suing", then there is
nothing for *any* kind of software "checker" to correct.  If he meant
"using", then there is no software "checker" that can make the
correction because it is neither a spelling nor grammar error.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Re: FIltering newsgroups

Peter Lairo-5
Leonidas Jones on 02.02.2008 01:52 wrote:
we are all using plain text here, right?

Another "HTML e-mails are eeevil" flamewar? O:-)

(I don't mind HTML e-mails. They are generally easier to read, flow better, and can contain useful markup. I just don't like remote image and such for privacy/security reasons. All "regular" HTML is OK. We're all on broadband here, right?).

Peter Lairo

The browser you can trust:  www.GetFirefox.com
Reclaim Your Inbox:         www.GetThunderbird.com

Israel - Myths & Facts:     http://www.JewishVirtualLibrary.org/
Dangers of Islam (German):  http://www.pi-news.net/
Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster:  http://www.venganza.org/

Re: FIltering newsgroups

Terry R.
The date and time was 2/6/2008 1:28 AM, and on a whim, Peter Lairo
pounded out on the keyboard:

> Leonidas Jones on 02.02.2008 01:52 wrote:
>> we are all using plain text here, right?
>
> Another "*HTML e-mails are eeevil*" flamewar? O:-)
>
> (I don't mind HTML e-mails. They are generally easier to read, flow
> better, and can contain useful markup. I just don't like remote image
> and such for privacy/security reasons. All "regular" HTML is OK. We're
> all on broadband here, right?).
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Peter Lairo
>
> The browser you can trust:  www.GetFirefox.com
> Reclaim Your Inbox:         www.GetThunderbird.com
>
> Israel - Myths & Facts:     http://www.JewishVirtualLibrary.org/
> Dangers of Islam (German):  http://www.pi-news.net/
> Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster:  http://www.venganza.org/

1. This is a newsgroup.
2. We're not "emailing" each other.
3. I seriously doubt "all" of us are on broadband.  I know of one that
posts occasionally that isn't. I'm sure there are more.
4. We could discuss more the length of your sig instead (which doesn't
get stripped when a poster is using HTML.)

--
Terry R.

Re: FIltering newsgroups

Leonidas Jones-2
Peter Lairo wrote:

> Leonidas Jones on 02.02.2008 01:52 wrote:
>> we are all using plain text here, right?
>
> Another "*HTML e-mails are eeevil*" flamewar? O:-)
>
> (I don't mind HTML e-mails. They are generally easier to read, flow better, and
> can contain useful markup. I just don't like remote image and such for
> privacy/security reasons. All "regular" HTML is OK. We're all on broadband here,
> right?).
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Peter Lairo
>
> The browser you can trust:  www.GetFirefox.com
> Reclaim Your Inbox:         www.GetThunderbird.com
>
> Israel - Myths & Facts:     http://www.JewishVirtualLibrary.org/
> Dangers of Islam (German):  http://www.pi-news.net/
> Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster:  http://www.venganza.org/

I never said html email was evil.  However, these are newsgroups, where
the preference is plain text. ;)

Lee

Re: FIltering newsgroups

Daniel-257
Peter Lairo wrote:

> Leonidas Jones on 02.02.2008 01:52 wrote:
>> we are all using plain text here, right?
>
> Another "*HTML e-mails are eeevil*" flamewar? O:-)
>
> (I don't mind HTML e-mails. They are generally easier to read, flow
> better, and can contain useful markup. I just don't like remote image
> and such for privacy/security reasons. All "regular" HTML is OK. We're
> all on broadband here, right?).
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Peter Lairo
>
> The browser you can trust:  www.GetFirefox.com
> Reclaim Your Inbox:         www.GetThunderbird.com
>
> Israel - Myths & Facts:     http://www.JewishVirtualLibrary.org/
> Dangers of Islam (German):  http://www.pi-news.net/
> Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster:  http://www.venganza.org/

No, not all of us are on broadband!

(and I'm guessing that your sig delimiter is not correct. Should be
dash-dash-space.)

Daniel

Daniel wrote:

> Peter Lairo wrote:
>> Leonidas Jones on 02.02.2008 01:52 wrote:
>>> we are all using plain text here, right?
>> Another "*HTML e-mails are eeevil*" flamewar? O:-)
>>
>> (I don't mind HTML e-mails. They are generally easier to read, flow
>> better, and can contain useful markup. I just don't like remote image
>> and such for privacy/security reasons. All "regular" HTML is OK. We're
>> all on broadband here, right?).
>>

> No, not all of us are on broadband!
>
> (and I'm guessing that your sig delimiter is not correct. Should be
> dash-dash-space.)
>
> Daniel

he's posting in html.  When you reply, the sig doesn't get
stripped.  Its a known bug.

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Notice: This posting is protected under Copyright Laws.

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: HTML mail (was: FIltering newsgroups)

John Thompson
On 2008-02-06, Peter Lairo <[hidden email]> wrote:

><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
><head>
>  <title></title>
></head>
> Leonidas Jones on 02.02.2008 01:52 wrote:
>  type="cite">we are all using plain text here, right?<br>
> Another "<b>HTML e-mails are eeevil</b>" flamewar? <span
> (I don't mind HTML e-mails. They are generally easier to read, flow
> better, and can contain useful markup. I just don't like remote image
> and such for privacy/security reasons. All "regular" HTML is OK. We're
> all on broadband here, right?).<br>
><pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--

They don't "flow better" here... :-(

--

John ([hidden email])

Re: FIltering newsgroups

Daniel-257
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>> Peter Lairo wrote:
>>> Another "*HTML e-mails are eeevil*" flamewar? O:-)
>>>
>>> (I don't mind HTML e-mails. They are generally easier to read, flow
>>> better, and can contain useful markup. I just don't like remote image
>>> and such for privacy/security reasons. All "regular" HTML is OK.
>>> We're all on broadband here, right?).
>>>

>> No, not all of us are on broadband!
>>
>> (and I'm guessing that your sig delimiter is not correct. Should be
>> dash-dash-space.)
>>
>> Daniel
>
> he's posting in html.  When you reply, the sig doesn't get stripped.
> Its a known bug.

Ahhh! O.K., thanks for that, Peter.

Daniel

Re: FIltering newsgroups

John McWilliams via TB
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>> Peter Lairo wrote:
>>> Another "*HTML e-mails are eeevil*" flamewar? O:-)
>>>
>>> (I don't mind HTML e-mails. They are generally easier to read, flow
>>> better, and can contain useful markup. I just don't like remote
>>> image and such for privacy/security reasons. All "regular" HTML is
>>> OK. We're all on broadband here, right?).
>>>

>> No, not all of us are on broadband!
>>
>> (and I'm guessing that your sig delimiter is not correct. Should be
>> dash-dash-space.)
>>
>> Daniel
>
> he's posting in html.  When you reply, the sig doesn't get stripped.
> Its a known bug.

That's correct, Grant, but your sig line is way too long. Netiquette
dictates it should be limited to four lines or so, as a general practice.

--
"Edmund Blackadder and Baldrick converse:

EB: "First Name?"
B: "I'm not sure."
EB: "Come on, you MUST have a first name."
B: "It might be 'Sod Off'."
EB: "Sod Off??"
B: "Yeah, when I was a young lad playing in the gutter, I used to say to
all the other snipes, "Hello, my name's Baldrick". And they'd say, "Yes
we know, Sod Off, Baldrick"

- Blackadder and Baldrick filling out an application form.