Re: Extension to crop an area of a webpage to clipboard?

Re: Extension to crop an area of a webpage to clipboard?

Blinky the Shark
Tom Liotta wrote:
> Oscar Madison: I keep finding little notes an my pillow! "Oscar,
> We're out of cornflakes. F.U." It took me three hours to figure out
> that 'F.U.' meant 'Felix Unger'. I want a divorce!
>
> (Probably poorly quoted, but I still think it's funny...)

Indeed.  :)

--
Blinky                                                   RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Terry R. wrote:
> On 9/10/2007 2:59 PM On a whim, Blinky the Shark pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> Newb, apparently.  It's not a rocket surgery initialization.
>>

> Regardless, out of respect for them, is it asking to much to take it to
> the lowest common denominator?

We (that's everyone) tend (that means not every possible time) to
communicate with shorthand.  Heck, I just used an apostrophe instead of
a space and an "i".  That's (there I go again!) not the same as an
initialism, but it's (!) the same idea.

--
Blinky                                                   RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org  <----------- New Site Aug 28

Re: Extension to crop an area of a webpage to clipboard?

Irwin Greenwald-4
On 9/10/2007 6:44 PM, Terry R. wrote:

> On 9/10/2007 2:59 PM On a whim, Blinky the Shark pounded out on the
> keyboard
>

>> Terry R. wrote:
>>> On 9/9/2007 11:27 AM On a whim, Blinky the Shark pounded out on the
>>> keyboard

Just what is the "lowest common denominator"?  Seems to me it would
require an explanation of what Follow-up accomplishes.

--
Irwin

Re: Extension to crop an area of a webpage to clipboard?

Daniel-24
Terry R. wrote:

> On 9/10/2007 5:57 AM On a whim, Daniel pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>> On 9/9/2007 2:45 AM On a whim, Daniel pounded out on the keyboard

No, Terry, I did not share any thoughts, right or wrong! I was just
trying to help you, but if you don't want it, then fair enough!

Daniel

Re: Extension to crop an area of a webpage to clipboard?

Terry R.
On 9/10/2007 8:38 PM On a whim, Irwin Greenwald pounded out on the keyboard

> On 9/10/2007 6:44 PM, Terry R. wrote:
>> On 9/10/2007 2:59 PM On a whim, Blinky the Shark pounded out on the
>> keyboard

I think "follow-up to ..." is sufficient, although if a person is
relatively new to newsgroups, you're right, they may not even understand
that.  There is where a monthly post (or twice a week, depending on
activity) regarding where the rules on this server are located would be
useful.  It seems to me this server is more intolerant of off-topic
posts than most, which require them to be redirected to another group.
So someone could be using other newsgroups for a long time and possibly
never see a "follow-up to ...".

--
Terry R.

Re: Extension to crop an area of a webpage to clipboard?

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
Terry R. wrote:
> There is where a monthly post (or twice a week, depending on
> activity) regarding where the rules on this server are located would be
> useful.

it wouldn't be read by the newbies.

--
Please do not email me for help.  Reply to the newsgroup
only.  And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Extension to crop an area of a webpage to clipboard?

Terry R.
On 9/11/2007 7:55 AM On a whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded
out on the keyboard

> Terry R. wrote:
>> There is where a monthly post (or twice a week, depending on
>> activity) regarding where the rules on this server are located would be
>> useful.
>
> it wouldn't be read by the newbies.

You're probably right, unless the subject read, "NEW TO MOZILLA
NEWSGROUPS? READ THIS FIRST!", and it was posted every couple weeks.

--
Terry R.

Terry R. wrote:

> On 9/10/2007 8:38 PM On a whim, Irwin Greenwald pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> On 9/10/2007 6:44 PM, Terry R. wrote:
>>> On 9/10/2007 2:59 PM On a whim, Blinky the Shark pounded out on the
>>> keyboard

So the solution, I think, is to continue biz as usual, and if they don't
understand some let them ask.  I don't see the problem with that.
That's what much of Usenet, and even informal tech help groups like this
is all about -- asking and answering.  In short: learning.

> that.  There is where a monthly post (or twice a week, depending on
> activity) regarding where the rules on this server are located would be
> useful.  It seems to me this server is more intolerant of off-topic
> posts than most, which require them to be redirected to another group.
> So someone could be using other newsgroups for a long time and possibly
> never see a "follow-up to ...".

It's a rare newb that will consult a NG FAQ before posting.

That said, I archive and post one (in fact, it's about the group and
posting to it, not about tech issues) to two groups myself
(alt.os.linux.mandrake and alt.os.linux.mandriva).[1]  That said, I
doubt that anyone reads those, either.

[1] I think it's an excellent posting guide. I am not the author.
My HTML version: http://blinkynet.net/comp/faq_aolm.html
Naturally, I post the text version.

--
Blinky                                                   RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org  <----------- New Site Aug 28

Re: Extension to crop an area of a webpage to clipboard?

John-438

"Blinky the Shark" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Terry R. wrote:
>> On 9/10/2007 8:38 PM On a whim, Irwin Greenwald pounded out on the
>> keyboard

I have to admit as a newbie, I could have done with a FAQ, or at least some
form of message to explain how the group works. I can understand as oldies
having posted on here for years get frustrated with how newbies behaive, but
that's the nature of most forum/newsgroups, and it will never change, no
mattew how much you complain. I've run a forum for 6 years, and get the same
questions asked over and over by new members, but I look at it this way,
even if  those same questions are asked, it reminds all members, answering
the questions shows understanding that people come on here to learn, and
that you are the ones they are looking to for help. If all they see is a
bunch of people nit picking, complaining, then suddenly findind they are
getting warning letters for this and that, which they have no idea what they
mean or why they got them, it doesnt look good. They dont get to learn, and
then they go away not having had their problem fixed, and sometimes they go
away with a flea in their ear. Firefox wants to be the best Browser, it is
getting that way by word of mouth, but Firefox help is another matter. This
could be one of the most busy newgroups going, but it isnt its quiet. It
isnt just because poeople have problem free running browsers.

Just my thoughts.

Re: Extension to crop an area of a webpage to clipboard?

squaredancer
On 12.09.2007 10:47, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  John to
generate the following:? :

> "Blinky the Shark" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>
>>> On 9/10/2007 8:38 PM On a whim, Irwin Greenwald pounded out on the
>>> keyboard

your word in the Chief of Spam Mooses' ear....  Help and Friendliness,
combined with Understanding (we're not all Geeks, but lots of us *are*
freaks).
Also, remembering that there is *a Life* out there, a life that some of
us are able to live and enjoy, may help....

reg

John wrote:
> "Blinky the Shark" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...

>> It's a rare newb that will consult a NG FAQ before posting.
>>
>> That said, I archive and post one (in fact, it's about the group and
>> posting to it, not about tech issues) to two groups myself
>> (alt.os.linux.mandrake and alt.os.linux.mandriva).[1]  That said, I doubt
>> that anyone reads those, either.
>>
>> [1] I think it's an excellent posting guide. I am not the author.
>> My HTML version: http://blinkynet.net/comp/faq_aolm.html
>> Naturally, I post the text version.

> I have to admit as a newbie, I could have done with a FAQ, or at least some
> form of message to explain how the group works. I can understand as oldies

Sure.  But had there been one, would you have sought it out before
posting?  Needing and acting on are actually two different things.  (I
*need* to win the lottery; I can't seem to. <g>)

> having posted on here for years get frustrated with how newbies behaive, but
> that's the nature of most forum/newsgroups, and it will never change, no
> mattew how much you complain. I've run a forum for 6 years, and get the same

I didn't complain.  I said that biz as usual is the best policy and when
someone doesn't understand something they can ask.  In a larger view
that's how life works.

> questions asked over and over by new members, but I look at it this way,
> even if  those same questions are asked, it reminds all members, answering
> the questions shows understanding that people come on here to learn, and
> that you are the ones they are looking to for help. If all they see is a
> bunch of people nit picking, complaining, then suddenly findind they are
> getting warning letters for this and that, which they have no idea what they
> mean or why they got them, it doesnt look good. They dont get to learn, and

You've seen that here?

> then they go away not having had their problem fixed, and sometimes they go
> away with a flea in their ear. Firefox wants to be the best Browser, it is
> getting that way by word of mouth, but Firefox help is another matter. This
> could be one of the most busy newgroups going, but it isnt its quiet. It
> isnt just because poeople have problem free running browsers.

This is mozilla.GENERAL (my emphasis).  You seem to be describing a your
expectations for a Firefox group.