Re: Email with missing graphics

Leonidas Jones
Fred S wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My sister-in-law forwarded us an email that was supposed to contain some
> cutesy pics - I'm sure you all know what I mean. This email was
> forwarded to her, and to others, and she forwarded it onto us.
>
> While I do not condone this waste of bandwidth, I'm wondering why we get
> some of her emails with pictures and others with just placeholders (an
> empty square with a red marker).
>
> She is using Outlook Express and a look at the source code shows the
> pics are supposed to be gif files. She sees them on her emails, she sees
> it when she composes to Forward the email, yet we get the file with just
> the place holders.
>
> Is this an Outlook Express issue? Are the pics stored on her Pc in the
> temp folder and just displayed then not sent because they were not
> separately attached?
>
> Thanks for any information, Fred

Try Tools>>Options>>Privacy

Uncheck Block Loading of remote images.

The other thing to check, View>>Message Body As, select Original HTML.

Lee

Lee

Re: Email with missing graphics

Lewis Rosenthal
On 10/30/2005 08:25 pm, Fred S thus wrote :

> Hi,
>
> My sister-in-law forwarded us an email that was supposed to contain some
> cutesy pics - I'm sure you all know what I mean. This email was
> forwarded to her, and to others, and she forwarded it onto us.
>
> While I do not condone this waste of bandwidth, I'm wondering why we get
> some of her emails with pictures and others with just placeholders (an
> empty square with a red marker).
>
> She is using Outlook Express and a look at the source code shows the
> pics are supposed to be gif files. She sees them on her emails, she sees
> it when she composes to Forward the email, yet we get the file with just
> the place holders.
>
> Is this an Outlook Express issue? Are the pics stored on her Pc in the
> temp folder and just displayed then not sent because they were not
> separately attached?

Fred, I see this from time to time, most often with OE-drafted messages,
but sometimes with others (AOL seems to some to mind). I believe the
problem is with OE in your case, and the way in which it seems to have
mishandled the original message coming down to it when forwarding. IOW,
when the message came down to your sister-in-law, the images may have
been attached but not embedded in the HTML (HTML mail is evil, anyway,
as most non-Windows users will tell you! ;-) ), and when OE forwards
such a message, instead of attaching the images, it simply sends the
HTML (or, the main part of the message without the images). This results
in you (and everyone else, for that matter, regardless which mail client
is on the receiving end at that point) getting placeholders instead of
the originally-attached images.

How to fix it? I have no idea off the top of my head; sorry.

--
Lewis
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE

Re: Email with missing graphics

Fred S *****
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Fred S wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My sister-in-law forwarded us an email that was supposed to contain
>> some cutesy pics - I'm sure you all know what I mean. This email was
>> forwarded to her, and to others, and she forwarded it onto us.
>>
>> While I do not condone this waste of bandwidth, I'm wondering why we
>> get some of her emails with pictures and others with just placeholders
>> (an empty square with a red marker).
>>
>> She is using Outlook Express and a look at the source code shows the
>> pics are supposed to be gif files. She sees them on her emails, she
>> sees it when she composes to Forward the email, yet we get the file
>> with just the place holders.
>>
>> Is this an Outlook Express issue? Are the pics stored on her Pc in the
>> temp folder and just displayed then not sent because they were not
>> separately attached?
>>
>> Thanks for any information, Fred
>

> Try Tools>>Options>>Privacy
>
> Uncheck Block Loading of remote images.
>
> The other thing to check, View>>Message Body As, select Original HTML.
>
> Lee
>
> Lee

Lee,

Thanks for your comment but Block Loading is already unchecked and
original HTML is set.

Also, when I get her email, it is approximately 8kb in size which pretty
much verifies that there are no images. Other similar emails are in the
order of 150 to 300kb. Viewing the source code shows the name of the
image but no large block of random letters that you usually see for an
image.

Here's a few lines showing the image name:
---------------------------
id=3DMA1.1123381372 title=3D"" height=3D245=20
       src=3D"cid:image001.gif@01C5DBD5.ACE1E6D0" width=3D360=20
       DATASIZE=3D"12159"></SPAN></FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3Dblack><SPAN=20

Lewis Rosenthal wrote:

> On 10/30/2005 08:25 pm, Fred S thus wrote :
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My sister-in-law forwarded us an email that was supposed to contain
>> some cutesy pics - I'm sure you all know what I mean. This email was
>> forwarded to her, and to others, and she forwarded it onto us.
>>
>> While I do not condone this waste of bandwidth, I'm wondering why we
>> get some of her emails with pictures and others with just placeholders
>> (an empty square with a red marker).
>>
>> She is using Outlook Express and a look at the source code shows the
>> pics are supposed to be gif files. She sees them on her emails, she
>> sees it when she composes to Forward the email, yet we get the file
>> with just the place holders.
>>
>> Is this an Outlook Express issue? Are the pics stored on her Pc in the
>> temp folder and just displayed then not sent because they were not
>> separately attached?
>>
> Fred, I see this from time to time, most often with OE-drafted messages,
> but sometimes with others (AOL seems to some to mind). I believe the
> problem is with OE in your case, and the way in which it seems to have
> mishandled the original message coming down to it when forwarding. IOW,
> when the message came down to your sister-in-law, the images may have
> been attached but not embedded in the HTML (HTML mail is evil, anyway,
> as most non-Windows users will tell you! ;-) ), and when OE forwards
> such a message, instead of attaching the images, it simply sends the
> HTML (or, the main part of the message without the images). This results
> in you (and everyone else, for that matter, regardless which mail client
> is on the receiving end at that point) getting placeholders instead of
> the originally-attached images.
>
> How to fix it? I have no idea off the top of my head; sorry.

Lewis,

Thanks for your comments and I think you're right as the source code
does not show the image data and the file size of the email is very
small (8kb) when one with graphics would be significantly higher (150kb+)

Do you think the pics are in her temp folder? Could that be the reason
that she sees them?

Fred

Re: Email with missing graphics

gwtc
Lewis Rosenthal wrote:

> On 10/30/2005 08:25 pm, Fred S thus wrote :
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My sister-in-law forwarded us an email that was supposed to contain
>> some cutesy pics - I'm sure you all know what I mean. This email was
>> forwarded to her, and to others, and she forwarded it onto us.
>>
>> While I do not condone this waste of bandwidth, I'm wondering why we
>> get some of her emails with pictures and others with just placeholders
>> (an empty square with a red marker).
>>
>> She is using Outlook Express and a look at the source code shows the
>> pics are supposed to be gif files. She sees them on her emails, she
>> sees it when she composes to Forward the email, yet we get the file
>> with just the place holders.
>>
>> Is this an Outlook Express issue? Are the pics stored on her Pc in the
>> temp folder and just displayed then not sent because they were not
>> separately attached?
>>
> Fred, I see this from time to time, most often with OE-drafted messages,
> but sometimes with others (AOL seems to some to mind). I believe the
> problem is with OE in your case, and the way in which it seems to have
> mishandled the original message coming down to it when forwarding. IOW,
> when the message came down to your sister-in-law, the images may have
> been attached but not embedded in the HTML (HTML mail is evil, anyway,
> as most non-Windows users will tell you! ;-) ), and when OE forwards
> such a message, instead of attaching the images, it simply sends the
> HTML (or, the main part of the message without the images). This results
> in you (and everyone else, for that matter, regardless which mail client
> is on the receiving end at that point) getting placeholders instead of
> the originally-attached images.
>
> How to fix it? I have no idea off the top of my head; sorry.

The other thought is, again an OE problem, the pics are sent within
the message, as in Inline, rather than as actual attachments. Other
OE's are able to see them, but not other Mail apps.

Re: Email with missing graphics

Ron Hunter
Fred S wrote:

> Lewis Rosenthal wrote:
>> On 10/30/2005 08:25 pm, Fred S thus wrote :
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My sister-in-law forwarded us an email that was supposed to contain
>>> some cutesy pics - I'm sure you all know what I mean. This email was
>>> forwarded to her, and to others, and she forwarded it onto us.
>>>
>>> While I do not condone this waste of bandwidth, I'm wondering why we
>>> get some of her emails with pictures and others with just
>>> placeholders (an empty square with a red marker).
>>>
>>> She is using Outlook Express and a look at the source code shows the
>>> pics are supposed to be gif files. She sees them on her emails, she
>>> sees it when she composes to Forward the email, yet we get the file
>>> with just the place holders.
>>>
>>> Is this an Outlook Express issue? Are the pics stored on her Pc in
>>> the temp folder and just displayed then not sent because they were
>>> not separately attached?
>>>
>> Fred, I see this from time to time, most often with OE-drafted
>> messages, but sometimes with others (AOL seems to some to mind). I
>> believe the problem is with OE in your case, and the way in which it
>> seems to have mishandled the original message coming down to it when
>> forwarding. IOW, when the message came down to your sister-in-law, the
>> images may have been attached but not embedded in the HTML (HTML mail
>> is evil, anyway, as most non-Windows users will tell you! ;-) ), and
>> when OE forwards such a message, instead of attaching the images, it
>> simply sends the HTML (or, the main part of the message without the
>> images). This results in you (and everyone else, for that matter,
>> regardless which mail client is on the receiving end at that point)
>> getting placeholders instead of the originally-attached images.
>>
>> How to fix it? I have no idea off the top of my head; sorry.
>>
> Lewis,
>
> Thanks for your comments and I think you're right as the source code
> does not show the image data and the file size of the email is very
> small (8kb) when one with graphics would be significantly higher (150kb+)
>
> Do you think the pics are in her temp folder? Could that be the reason
> that she sees them?
>
> Fred
Yes, there are in her 'temporary internet files' folder where they will
probably remain, taking up space, until the end of time.  My brother was
complaining about how slow his machine was getting until I emptied 16
gigabytes of 'temporary internet files' from his machine.  Seems our
great nephew had been using the machine to view porn files and the
stupid IE/OE was saving every single ONE.  Sigh.

--
Ron Hunter  [hidden email]

Re: Email with missing graphics

mad NATer
"gwtc" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:dk4i4p$[hidden email]...

> Lewis Rosenthal wrote:
>
>> On 10/30/2005 08:25 pm, Fred S thus wrote :
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My sister-in-law forwarded us an email that was supposed to contain some
>>> cutesy pics - I'm sure you all know what I mean. This email was
>>> forwarded to her, and to others, and she forwarded it onto us.
>>>
>>> While I do not condone this waste of bandwidth, I'm wondering why we get
>>> some of her emails with pictures and others with just placeholders (an
>>> empty square with a red marker).
>>>
>>> She is using Outlook Express and a look at the source code shows the
>>> pics are supposed to be gif files. She sees them on her emails, she sees
>>> it when she composes to Forward the email, yet we get the file with just
>>> the place holders.
>>>
>>> Is this an Outlook Express issue? Are the pics stored on her Pc in the
>>> temp folder and just displayed then not sent because they were not
>>> separately attached?
>>>
>> Fred, I see this from time to time, most often with OE-drafted messages,
>> but sometimes with others (AOL seems to some to mind). I believe the
>> problem is with OE in your case, and the way in which it seems to have
>> mishandled the original message coming down to it when forwarding. IOW,
>> when the message came down to your sister-in-law, the images may have
>> been attached but not embedded in the HTML (HTML mail is evil, anyway, as
>> most non-Windows users will tell you! ;-) ), and when OE forwards such a
>> message, instead of attaching the images, it simply sends the HTML (or,
>> the main part of the message without the images). This results in you
>> (and everyone else, for that matter, regardless which mail client is on
>> the receiving end at that point) getting placeholders instead of the
>> originally-attached images.
>>
>> How to fix it? I have no idea off the top of my head; sorry.
>>
> The other thought is, again an OE problem, the pics are sent within the
> message, as in Inline, rather than as actual attachments. Other OE's are
> able to see them, but not other Mail apps.

I couldn't help but chime in here.  If other OE's can view these pics then
it sounds like a TB issue.  Doesn't it??

mad NATer wrote:

> "gwtc" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:dk4i4p$[hidden email]...

>>> Fred, I see this from time to time, most often with OE-drafted messages,
>>> but sometimes with others (AOL seems to some to mind). I believe the
>>> problem is with OE in your case, and the way in which it seems to have
>>> mishandled the original message coming down to it when forwarding. IOW,
>>> when the message came down to your sister-in-law, the images may have
>>> been attached but not embedded in the HTML (HTML mail is evil, anyway, as
>>> most non-Windows users will tell you! ;-) ), and when OE forwards such a
>>> message, instead of attaching the images, it simply sends the HTML (or,
>>> the main part of the message without the images). This results in you
>>> (and everyone else, for that matter, regardless which mail client is on
>>> the receiving end at that point) getting placeholders instead of the
>>> originally-attached images.
>>>
>>> How to fix it? I have no idea off the top of my head; sorry.
>>>
>> The other thought is, again an OE problem, the pics are sent within the
>> message, as in Inline, rather than as actual attachments. Other OE's are
>> able to see them, but not other Mail apps.
>
> I couldn't help but chime in here.  If other OE's can view these pics then
> it sounds like a TB issue.  Doesn't it??

Not necessarily.  I haven't actually used OE in years, I don't think
I've ever even opened it on this machine, so i can't speak as to its
operation.

However, it is entirely possible that OE is handling the attachments in
a very OE specific manner, which can only be dealt with by OE. I hope
thats not the case here, but  its certainly  possible, and it would be
an OE problem.

If the attachments worked in Eudora, Pegasus, Agent, or any other mail
application but Thunderbird, then its a Thunderbird problem.

It would be interesting to know that, but I only have Gecko aps and OE
installed here, so I can't test.

Lee

Lee

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> mad NATer wrote:
>
>> "gwtc" <[hidden email]> wrote in
>> message news:dk4i4p$[hidden email]...

>>> The other thought is, again an OE problem, the pics are sent within
>>> the message, as in Inline, rather than as actual attachments. Other
>>> OE's are able to see them, but not other Mail apps.
>>

>> I couldn't help but chime in here.  If other OE's can view these pics
>> then it sounds like a TB issue.  Doesn't it??
>>

> Not necessarily.  I haven't actually used OE in years, I don't think
> I've ever even opened it on this machine, so i can't speak as to its
> operation.
>
> However, it is entirely possible that OE is handling the attachments in
> a very OE specific manner, which can only be dealt with by OE. I hope
> thats not the case here, but  its certainly  possible, and it would be
> an OE problem.

Thats absolutely correct Lee.  Other OEers can view it but not other
email apps.  Therefore, its an OE problem.

> If the attachments worked in Eudora, Pegasus, Agent, or any other mail
> application but Thunderbird, then its a Thunderbird problem.
>
> It would be interesting to know that, but I only have Gecko aps and OE
> installed here, so I can't test.
>
> Lee
>
> Lee

Re: Email with missing graphics

M Cowperthwaite
Fred S wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My sister-in-law forwarded us an email that was supposed to contain some
> cutesy pics - I'm sure you all know what I mean. This email was
> forwarded to her, and to others, and she forwarded it onto us.
>
> While I do not condone this waste of bandwidth, I'm wondering why we get
> some of her emails with pictures and others with just placeholders (an
> empty square with a red marker).
>
> She is using Outlook Express and a look at the source code shows the
> pics are supposed to be gif files. She sees them on her emails, she sees
> it when she composes to Forward the email, yet we get the file with just
> the place holders.
>
> Is this an Outlook Express issue? Are the pics stored on her Pc in the
> temp folder and just displayed then not sent because they were not
> separately attached?

One possibility is: OE is known for sending out messages with the images
tagged as "application/octet-stream" rather than "image/gif" or
"image/jpeg".  Mozilla deliberately won't use a file labelled as
application/octet-stream where an image is supposed to go.

You can check this by viewing the source of the message and scrolling
down below the message-body part to the image parts, and look at the
Content-Type headers for those parts.

--
Michael Cowperthwaite

To send mail, remove 'Z's from the poster's email address.

Fred S wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:
>> Fred S wrote:

>>> Lewis,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your comments and I think you're right as the source code
>>> does not show the image data and the file size of the email is very
>>> small (8kb) when one with graphics would be significantly higher
>>> (150kb+)
>>>
>>> Do you think the pics are in her temp folder? Could that be the
>>> reason that she sees them?
>>>
>>> Fred
>>
>> Yes, there are in her 'temporary internet files' folder where they
>> will probably remain, taking up space, until the end of time.  My
>> brother was complaining about how slow his machine was getting until I
>> emptied 16 gigabytes of 'temporary internet files' from his machine.
>> Seems our great nephew had been using the machine to view porn files
>> and the stupid IE/OE was saving every single ONE.  Sigh.
>>

> Ron,
>
> Thanks for the confirmation.
>
> If they are there (and I'll ask her to look for them) why don't they get
>  called and sent with the email that she sends - the original email had
> them when it arrived on her PC?
>
> Does her PC DL them then display? If so, why doesn't T-Bird do that?
>
> Here's a line from her email showing a gif call. I posted this in a
> previous reply to Lee.
>
> ---------------------------
> id=3DMA1.1123381372 title=3D"" height=3D245=20
>       src=3D"cid:image001.gif@01C5DBD5.ACE1E6D0" width=3D360=20
>       DATASIZE=3D"12159"></SPAN></FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
> color=3Dblack><SPAN=20
> ----------------------------
>
> Thanks for your help, Fred

I suppose you would have to ask Microsoft about all that.  Likely there
are settings in OE that define the action.

--
Ron Hunter  [hidden email]

Re: Email with missing graphics

mad NATer

"gwtc" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:dk5nvl$[hidden email]...

> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> mad NATer wrote:
>>
>>> "gwtc" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>>> news:dk4i4p$[hidden email]...

>>> I couldn't help but chime in here.  If other OE's can view these pics
>>> then it sounds like a TB issue.  Doesn't it??
>>>

>> Not necessarily.  I haven't actually used OE in years, I don't think I've
>> ever even opened it on this machine, so i can't speak as to its
>> operation.
>>
>> However, it is entirely possible that OE is handling the attachments in a
>> very OE specific manner, which can only be dealt with by OE. I hope thats
>> not the case here, but  its certainly  possible, and it would be an OE
>> problem.
>
> Thats absolutely correct Lee.  Other OEers can view it but not other email
> apps.  Therefore, its an OE problem.

OE users can view pics so its an OE problem? Interesting. It sounds like a
problem for non-OE users to me.  And my point is: this would indicate that
TB could be fixed to accomplish the task.

mad NATer wrote:

> "gwtc" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:dk5nvl$[hidden email]...

>>> Not necessarily.  I haven't actually used OE in years, I don't think I've
>>> ever even opened it on this machine, so i can't speak as to its
>>> operation.
>>>
>>> However, it is entirely possible that OE is handling the attachments in a
>>> very OE specific manner, which can only be dealt with by OE. I hope thats
>>> not the case here, but  its certainly  possible, and it would be an OE
>>> problem.
>> Thats absolutely correct Lee.  Other OEers can view it but not other email
>> apps.  Therefore, its an OE problem.
>
> OE users can view pics so its an OE problem? Interesting. It sounds like a
> problem for non-OE users to me.  And my point is: this would indicate that
> TB could be fixed to accomplish the task.

I will say again, if its a problem for all non OE clients, it a problem
for OE and its interoperability with other email clients.  If Eudora
users, Pegasus users, Bat users, etc, can't see the images, its an OE
problem.  A decent mail client has to able to work with other mail clients.

If its just TB, or just gecko based mail clients, then its a TB/gecko
problem.

The internet does not revolve around OE.

Lee

Re: Email with missing graphics

JarrE
On 01.11.2005 05:40, Fred S wrote:

> M Cowperthwaite wrote:
>> Fred S wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My sister-in-law forwarded us an email that was supposed to contain
>>> some cutesy pics - I'm sure you all know what I mean. This email was
>>> forwarded to her, and to others, and she forwarded it onto us.
>>>
>>> While I do not condone this waste of bandwidth, I'm wondering why we
>>> get some of her emails with pictures and others with just
>>> placeholders (an empty square with a red marker).
>>>
>>> She is using Outlook Express and a look at the source code shows the
>>> pics are supposed to be gif files. She sees them on her emails, she
>>> sees it when she composes to Forward the email, yet we get the file
>>> with just the place holders.
>>>
>>> Is this an Outlook Express issue? Are the pics stored on her Pc in
>>> the temp folder and just displayed then not sent because they were
>>> not separately attached?
>>

>> One possibility is: OE is known for sending out messages with the
>> images tagged as "application/octet-stream" rather than "image/gif" or
>> "image/jpeg".  Mozilla deliberately won't use a file labelled as
>> application/octet-stream where an image is supposed to go.
>>
>> You can check this by viewing the source of the message and scrolling
>> down below the message-body part to the image parts, and look at the
>> Content-Type headers for those parts.
>>
> Michael,
>
> Here's some of the source code from the email that contains the apparent
> name of one of the graphics (that does not display)
>
> ---------------------------
> id=3DMA1.1123381372 title=3D"" height=3D245=20
>       src=3D"cid:image001.gif@01C5DBD5.ACE1E6D0" width=3D360=20
>       DATASIZE=3D"12159"></SPAN></FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
> color=3Dblack><SPAN=20
> ----------------------------
> I would appreciate your thoughts and thanks for your help, Fred

A guess:
If she try sending the e-mail as ISO-8859-1 instead of as UTF-8 (as I
think she's using): are the pictures then visible?

The error could be a combination of Outlook not being very good as
sending basic information (as "This part is using UTF-8") and Thunderbird
is not good at guessing... A larger problem with Outlook Express than
Outlook 2003.

Mvh/
JarrE
- not reading news very often

Re: Email with missing graphics

Fred S-2
mad NATer wrote:

> "gwtc" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:dk5nvl$[hidden email]...

>>>Not necessarily.  I haven't actually used OE in years, I don't think I've
>>>ever even opened it on this machine, so i can't speak as to its
>>>operation.
>>>
>>>However, it is entirely possible that OE is handling the attachments in a
>>>very OE specific manner, which can only be dealt with by OE. I hope thats
>>>not the case here, but  its certainly  possible, and it would be an OE
>>>problem.
>>
>>Thats absolutely correct Lee.  Other OEers can view it but not other email
>>apps.  Therefore, its an OE problem.
>

> OE users can view pics so its an OE problem? Interesting. It sounds like a
> problem for non-OE users to me.  And my point is: this would indicate that
> TB could be fixed to accomplish the task.

Mad,

I'm the original poster and just thought I'd comment as you appear to
think that if OE users can see it then there is no problem. This is as
bad as AOL's stupid email system which also does not lend itself to
viewing by other email clients. It won't even allow the original email
to appear in the reply with a trick.

What value is an email client that purports to send your message to
others that cannot read it because of its unique design? Do you want to
trust OE to communicate with online banking, emergency services, and
family communications with a program that works properly with only itself?

All clients have unique features but text and graphics should be able to
be read and displayed without any undue effort. I'm not saying OE is bad
but it is well know for being insecure, security fixes from MS arrive
every "Update Tuesday" and there are just too many excellent
alternatives (T-Bird among them) to consider using it. It didn't get the
funny names "Lookout Express, OutHouse Express, etc.) for nothing.

I repair/install/service computers and try my best to get folks to avoid
using Outlook Express and Internet Explorer because they are poorly
designed and very insecure.

As stated in my original post, some of her emails arrive and the images
are displayed, some arrive and cannot. After closely looking at the
source code in them, it appears related to whether or not she has
display attachments in line on or off. I plan to check this and will
post back with results later.

Fred

Re: Email with missing graphics

mad NATer
<< stuff deleted >>

> Mad,
>
> I'm the original poster and just thought I'd comment as you appear to
> think that if OE users can see it then there is no problem.

Thanks Fred but certainly there's a problem if the recipient can't see the
pictures.

> This is as bad as AOL's stupid email system which also does not lend
> itself to viewing by other email clients. It won't even allow the original
> email to appear in the reply with a trick.

Yes. AOL's system is proprietary and meant to work that way. One of the
reasons I left AOL years ago.

> What value is an email client that purports to send your message to others
> that cannot read it because of its unique design?

This would not be a valued email client. I agree.

> Do you want to trust OE to communicate with online banking, emergency
> services, and family communications with a program that works properly
> with only itself?

I don't use OE so I wouldn't know about it's ability to communicate with
these entities. I do use Outlook and have no issues or concerns at all. Let
me also say I use TB and have no issues or concerns with it either.

> All clients have unique features but text and graphics should be able to
> be read and displayed without any undue effort. I'm not saying OE is bad
> but it is well know for being insecure, security fixes from MS arrive
> every "Update Tuesday" and there are just too many excellent alternatives
> (T-Bird among them) to consider using it. It didn't get the funny names
> "Lookout Express, OutHouse Express, etc.) for nothing.

I couldn't care less about funny names.

> I repair/install/service computers and try my best to get folks to avoid
> using Outlook Express and Internet Explorer because they are poorly
> designed and very insecure.

FF will absolutely not function well with many major sites including many
financial institutions. (Wachovia for example and I know because FF will not
function correctly for me to perform online bill pay. There are many other
sites.) You should be telling your clients that when they experience
problems (and they will) to use IE as a back up browser.

> As stated in my original post, some of her emails arrive and the images
> are displayed, some arrive and cannot. After closely looking at the source
> code in them, it appears related to whether or not she has display
> attachments in line on or off. I plan to check this and will post back
> with results later.

Good! I'll look for your follow up.

mad NATer wrote:

> << stuff deleted >>
>
>>Mad,
>>
>>I'm the original poster and just thought I'd comment as you appear to
>>think that if OE users can see it then there is no problem.
>

> Thanks Fred but certainly there's a problem if the recipient can't see the
> pictures.
>

>>This is as bad as AOL's stupid email system which also does not lend
>>itself to viewing by other email clients. It won't even allow the original
>>email to appear in the reply with a trick.
>

> Yes. AOL's system is proprietary and meant to work that way. One of the
> reasons I left AOL years ago.
>

>>What value is an email client that purports to send your message to others
>>that cannot read it because of its unique design?
>

> This would not be a valued email client. I agree.
>

>>Do you want to trust OE to communicate with online banking, emergency
>>services, and family communications with a program that works properly
>>with only itself?
>

> I don't use OE so I wouldn't know about it's ability to communicate with
> these entities. I do use Outlook and have no issues or concerns at all. Let
> me also say I use TB and have no issues or concerns with it either.
>

>>All clients have unique features but text and graphics should be able to
>>be read and displayed without any undue effort. I'm not saying OE is bad
>>but it is well know for being insecure, security fixes from MS arrive
>>every "Update Tuesday" and there are just too many excellent alternatives
>>(T-Bird among them) to consider using it. It didn't get the funny names
>>"Lookout Express, OutHouse Express, etc.) for nothing.
>

> I couldn't care less about funny names.
>

>>I repair/install/service computers and try my best to get folks to avoid
>>using Outlook Express and Internet Explorer because they are poorly
>>designed and very insecure.
>

> FF will absolutely not function well with many major sites including many
> financial institutions. (Wachovia for example and I know because FF will not
> function correctly for me to perform online bill pay. There are many other
> sites.) You should be telling your clients that when they experience
> problems (and they will) to use IE as a back up browser.
>

>>As stated in my original post, some of her emails arrive and the images
>>are displayed, some arrive and cannot. After closely looking at the source
>>code in them, it appears related to whether or not she has display
>>attachments in line on or off. I plan to check this and will post back
>>with results later.
>

> Good! I'll look for your follow up.

mad,

Thanks for you comments and I guess we are in general agreement. I
should mention that I use and recommend that users have an application
called "Optool" installed which with one key press loads the exact page
in Internet Explorer for those sites that require its active X
components to function. Works fine and one can exit right back to their
browser of choice (FF, Moz, Opera, etc.).

I further ask them to take the time to email/call those companies that
do business this way to reconsider their corporate strategy to require
IE for their continued business. In the long run, companies that don't
adjust to what's happening in the real world are going to be very
surprised as their customers erode and fine other services that work
with the improved browsers out there today.

I do electronic banking, pay bills online almost exclusively using FF
with no issues whatsoever. I do have one site, however, that does demand
IE. It's an online prescription service and I have quite a dialogue
going with those folks about all of this. They haven't changed yet but
their Tech Support staff tell me that they are now receiving ten times
the complaints now over what they were getting just 6 months ago. He
says they are now really starting to look at this as a potential problem
rather than "just a few" folks with complaints - so there is some hope
out there!

Take care, Fred

Re: Email with missing graphics

Lewis Rosenthal
On 11/02/2005 12:54 pm, Fred S thus wrote :

<snip>

> mad,
>
> Thanks for you comments and I guess we are in general agreement. I
> should mention that I use and recommend that users have an application
> called "Optool" installed which with one key press loads the exact page
> in Internet Explorer for those sites that require its active X
> components to function. Works fine and one can exit right back to their
> browser of choice (FF, Moz, Opera, etc.).
>
> I further ask them to take the time to email/call those companies that
> do business this way to reconsider their corporate strategy to require
> IE for their continued business. In the long run, companies that don't
> adjust to what's happening in the real world are going to be very
> surprised as their customers erode and fine other services that work
> with the improved browsers out there today.
>
> I do electronic banking, pay bills online almost exclusively using FF
> with no issues whatsoever. I do have one site, however, that does demand
> IE. It's an online prescription service and I have quite a dialogue
> going with those folks about all of this. They haven't changed yet but
> their Tech Support staff tell me that they are now receiving ten times
> the complaints now over what they were getting just 6 months ago. He
> says they are now really starting to look at this as a potential problem
> rather than "just a few" folks with complaints - so there is some hope
> out there!

Good points, all, Fred. As an OS/2 user, I don't have IE at my disposal,
and often, it gets quite tiresome dealing with IT staff who seem to
think that Windows is the only operating system people use, and that IE
is the only browser ever conceived...

I'd be quite interested to know the online pharmacy site, so please feel
free to drop me PM with the info. as another guy in the trenches, I like
to keep up on this stuff, before I start hearing form clients that they
can't get where they need to go with the browser I installed for them... ;-)

As to the image thing, yes, OE is hopelessly broken. I agree entirely
that it is the sending app's responsibility to send in a standard format
when sending standard email (i.e., if you've designed an app to
transport over a proprietary protocol to a receiving app capable of
decoding the message, then have at it, and make the data stream as
cryptic as you see fit; however, if you intend for your app to transport
standard email, then you should adhere to the standard...even if you are
Micro$oft). It should not be up to TB to handle non-standard (read:
broken) messages. In this case, however, I do believe that the situation
is one where the data has been left behind on the sender's machine (in
the Temporary Internet Files directory), and as Ron pointed out, there
they will stay. Best would be for her to draft a new email and search
for the images to attach to a fresh message.

Lewis Rosenthal wrote:

> [...]
> that it is the sending app's responsibility to send in a standard format
> when sending standard email (i.e., if you've designed an app to
> transport over a proprietary protocol to a receiving app capable of
> decoding the message, then have at it, and make the data stream as
> cryptic as you see fit; however, if you intend for your app to transport
> standard email, then you should adhere to the standard...even if you are
> Micro$oft). It should not be up to TB to handle non-standard (read:
> broken) messages. In this case, however, I do believe that the situation
> is one where the data has been left behind on the sender's machine (in
> the Temporary Internet Files directory), and as Ron pointed out, there
> they will stay. Best would be for her to draft a new email and search
> for the images to attach to a fresh message.

I've sent you the information separately.

Fred

Re: Email with missing graphics

Lewis Rosenthal
On 11/03/2005 06:17 pm, [hidden email] thus wrote :

<snip>

> Eight layer deep quote!!  Thanks a whole heap.  Try trimming when
> replying.

Here's a tip: If you're using TB, Mozilla Mail, or SeaMonkey Mail, there
is a very handy extension, quotecollapse (see
http://quotecollapse.mozdev.org/), which folds quotes into easily
clickable one-liners.

I realize that this isn;t a substitute for good trimming habits, but it
does make sifting through long posts and quotes much easier to navigate. ;-)