Re: Does TB have a jrefs.js file (Win7)?

Re: Posting etiquette, [was: TB have a.....]

Terry R.-3
On 10/18/2011 12:33 PM On a whim, John McWilliams pounded out on the
keyboard

> On 10/18/11   PDT 9:23 AM, Terry R. wrote:

>>> Your signature (name) is part of your signature (.sig).
>>>
>> Not on my sigs it isn't.
>
> Thass' right: Terry is /different/.

Got that right sweet cakes.  Go take your meds old man.

Terry R.

Re: Posting etiquette, [was: TB have a.....]

Mike Easter-2
PhillipJones wrote:

> Remember I have setup to remove read messages on news groups if older
> than two days.

That seems pretty silly.

I don't save any messages for offline use. (and) I have a fast connection.

Tbird doesn't store messages like OE, it just caches them (in the
default mode), so there is no real need to get rid of 'oldish' headers
except to have a smaller accumulation in the thread view.

It is no problem for me to go back to a message a few days old.
Referring (looking back) at a message more than about a week old is
looking at a 'stale' message usually.

If one is thinking about replying to something someone said two weeks
ago, you are going to need to trim less than if it was something they
said earlier today so there will be a 'broader and deeper' context.

Newsgroup discussions sometimes take place in near real time, and
alternatively sometimes take place about as slow as snail mail pen pal
'conversations'.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Posting etiquette, [was: TB have a.....]

Ron Hunter
On 10/18/2011 2:53 PM, Mike Easter wrote:

> PhillipJones wrote:
>
>> Remember I have setup to remove read messages on news groups if older
>> than two days.
>
> That seems pretty silly.
>
> I don't save any messages for offline use. (and) I have a fast connection.
>
> Tbird doesn't store messages like OE, it just caches them (in the
> default mode), so there is no real need to get rid of 'oldish' headers
> except to have a smaller accumulation in the thread view.
>
> It is no problem for me to go back to a message a few days old.
> Referring (looking back) at a message more than about a week old is
> looking at a 'stale' message usually.
>
> If one is thinking about replying to something someone said two weeks
> ago, you are going to need to trim less than if it was something they
> said earlier today so there will be a 'broader and deeper' context.
>
> Newsgroup discussions sometimes take place in near real time, and
> alternatively sometimes take place about as slow as snail mail pen pal
> 'conversations'.

ANY time I try to click the reference numbers in the TB message header
pane, I get 'message not found'.  I don't KNOW why it does work, but
have become so accustomed to it not working, that I no longer show the
reference numbers.  I keep only 20 messages on my computer, but even
trying to look back at the last read message gives the same message.
Bug or setup?

Re: Posting etiquette, [was: TB have a.....]

Jay Garcia

Re: Posting etiquette, [was: TB have a.....]

Andy Civil-2
On 11-10-18 12:32 PM, Terry R. wrote:

> Since you have only recently piped in here, I had explained before to
> John that the reason I chose to place my name above the sig is because
> of the lousy way people trimmed responses. I didn't like having to post
> back stating, "I didn't write that".
>

> Terry R.

In that case I will do you the honour of leaving your dangling name as a
closing delimiter to your quoted text. I do understand, but it's
slightly eccentric. Being eccentric is not necessarily a bad thing, some
of our greatest thinkers come with a great dollop of eccentricity. My
reason for 'piping in' is that you were addressing a normal person as
though *he* was the odd one out.

--
Andy

On 18.10.2011 18:13, Andy Civil wrote:

>> Since you have only recently piped in here, I had explained before to
>> John that the reason I chose to place my name above the sig is because
>> of the lousy way people trimmed responses. I didn't like having to post
>> back stating, "I didn't write that".
>>

>> Terry R.
>
> In that case I will do you the honour of leaving your dangling name as a
> closing delimiter to your quoted text. I do understand, but it's
> slightly eccentric. Being eccentric is not necessarily a bad thing, some
> of our greatest thinkers come with a great dollop of eccentricity. My
> reason for 'piping in' is that you were addressing a normal person as
> though *he* was the odd one out.

From my POV I would think that the support message is far more important
than where someone places his/her name as a signature. 8-)

--
Jay Garcia
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/
Mozilla Mozillian Member - www.mozillians.org
www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird

Re: Posting etiquette, [was: TB have a.....]

John McWilliams via TB
On 10/18/11   PDT 4:26 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 18.10.2011 18:13, Andy Civil wrote:

>> In that case I will do you the honour of leaving your dangling name as a
>> closing delimiter to your quoted text. I do understand, but it's
>> slightly eccentric. Being eccentric is not necessarily a bad thing, some
>> of our greatest thinkers come with a great dollop of eccentricity. My
>> reason for 'piping in' is that you were addressing a normal person as
>> though *he* was the odd one out.

You've that right! Eccentricity is fine, but in this case it's done
purely to be annoying and obstinate. I first asked politely, but that
was years ago.

>  From my POV I would think that the support message is far more important
> than where someone places his/her name as a signature. 8-)

Well, of course. But how many actual support messages does Terry put out?

--
John McWilliams

On 10/18/11   PDT 2:59 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 18.10.2011 10:20, Andy Civil wrote:

>> Why else would a signature block be called a "signature" if it wasn't
>> based on your signature as its fundamental component?
>
> There is no requirement that I know of that says you can't enter your
> name without a delimiter at the end of your message. As long as it's not
> overbearing and overdone I see no harm.

You're right.

~John

  Andy Civil wrote:

>>> Not on my sigs it isn't.
>>
>> Thass' right: Terry is /different/.
>>

> Got that right sweet cakes. Go take your meds old man.

You more and more resemble a douchebag, TR.

On 19.10.2011 06:03, John McWilliams wrote:

> On 10/18/11   PDT 2:59 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 18.10.2011 10:20, Andy Civil wrote:
>
>>> Why else would a signature block be called a "signature" if it wasn't
>>> based on your signature as its fundamental component?
>>
>> There is no requirement that I know of that says you can't enter your
>> name without a delimiter at the end of your message. As long as it's not
>> overbearing and overdone I see no harm.
>
> You're right.
>
> ~John

Thanks, Jay

On 19.10.2011 06:02, John McWilliams wrote:

>> than where someone places his/her name as a signature. 8-)
>
> Well, of course. But how many actual support messages does Terry put out?

None here in .general, this is not a support group. But elsewhere, like
me, he puts out 1000's of support messages. :-)

On 10/19/2011 6:06 AM, John McWilliams wrote:

> On 10/18/11 PDT 12:41 PM, Terry R. wrote:
>> On 10/18/2011 12:33 PM On a whim, John McWilliamswrote:

>>> Thass' right: Terry is /different/.
>>>

>> Got that right sweet cakes. Go take your meds old man.
>
> You more and more resemble a douchebag, TR.

Be nice, guys.

Re: Posting etiquette, [was: TB have a.....]

F1Com
On 10/19/2011 4:02 AM On a whim, John McWilliams pounded out on the keyboard

> You've that right! Eccentricity is fine, but in this case it's done
> purely to be annoying and obstinate. I first asked politely, but that
> was years ago.

And yet you keep harping...

>>    From my POV I would think that the support message is far more important
>> than where someone places his/her name as a signature. 8-)
>
> Well, of course. But how many actual support messages does Terry put out?

Probably more in a day than you in six months.

Terry

Re: Posting etiquette, [was: TB have a.....]

F1Com
On 10/19/2011 4:03 AM On a whim, John McWilliams pounded out on the keyboard

> On 10/18/11   PDT 2:59 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>> There is no requirement that I know of that says you can't enter your
>> name without a delimiter at the end of your message. As long as it's not
>> overbearing and overdone I see no harm.
>
> You're right.
>
> ~John

Apology accepted.  Can we move on now?

Terry

Re: Posting etiquette, [was: TB have a.....]

F1Com
On 10/18/2011 4:13 PM On a whim, Andy Civil pounded out on the keyboard

> On 11-10-18 12:32 PM, Terry R. wrote:
>
>> Since you have only recently piped in here, I had explained before to
>> John that the reason I chose to place my name above the sig is because
>> of the lousy way people trimmed responses. I didn't like having to post
>> back stating, "I didn't write that".
>>

>> Terry R.
>
> In that case I will do you the honour of leaving your dangling name as a
> closing delimiter to your quoted text. I do understand, but it's
> slightly eccentric. Being eccentric is not necessarily a bad thing, some
> of our greatest thinkers come with a great dollop of eccentricity. My
> reason for 'piping in' is that you were addressing a normal person as
> though *he* was the odd one out.

I'm a little surprised you are trying to make an issue out of where I
place my name, and yet I realized you munge your email address in a way
that spams Hotmail.  IMO, your offense is of much greater importance,
and more deserving of correction.

Terry

Re: Posting etiquette (was: TB have a.....)

Mike Easter-2
John McWilliams wrote:
Subject: Re: Posting etiquette, [was: TB have a.....]

When this subthread was started, the subject was changed as indicated
above, with brackets

I think that if the subject had been changed with parentheses as I am
modifying it...

Re: Posting etiquette (was: TB have a.....)

... that the modification will automatically 'go away' instead of
sticking forever.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Posting etiquette

John McWilliams via TB
On 10/20/11   PDT 2:00 PM, Mike Easter wrote:

> John McWilliams wrote:
> Subject: Re: Posting etiquette, [was: TB have a.....]
>
> When this subthread was started, the subject was changed as indicated
> above, with brackets
>
> I think that if the subject had been changed with parentheses as I am
> modifying it...
>
> Re: Posting etiquette (was: TB have a.....)
>
> ... that the modification will automatically 'go away' instead of
> sticking forever.

Yes, quite right, Mike. I'd stop using that as it was broken sometime
back. Glad to know it works now! (though my memory would swear it worked
with [] at some point a ways back.)

On 11-10-20 04:53 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 10/18/2011 4:13 PM On a whim, Andy Civil pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> On 11-10-18 12:32 PM, Terry R. wrote:
>>
>>> Since you have only recently piped in here, I had explained before to
>>> John that the reason I chose to place my name above the sig is because
>>> of the lousy way people trimmed responses. I didn't like having to post
>>> back stating, "I didn't write that".
>>>

>>> Terry R.
>>
>> In that case I will do you the honour of leaving your dangling name as a
>> closing delimiter to your quoted text. I do understand, but it's
>> slightly eccentric. Being eccentric is not necessarily a bad thing, some
>> of our greatest thinkers come with a great dollop of eccentricity. My
>> reason for 'piping in' is that you were addressing a normal person as
>> though *he* was the odd one out.
>>

> I'm a little surprised you are trying to make an issue out of where I
> place my name, and yet I realized you munge your email address in a way
> that spams Hotmail. IMO, your offense is of much greater importance, and
> more deserving of correction.
>
> Terry

That is because you are jumping to conclusions and you got it wrong.
Read what I said; I wasn't making an issue out of you putting your name
in the wrong place, my reason for 'piping in' is that you were
addressing a normal person as though *he* was the odd one out. Subtle
difference: I don't care enough to make an issue out of it, but I do
care when you sleight someone else from an unsound position.

Also, I have committed no offense in regards to my email address. I
admit that it was initially funny to see how much I could load up
hotmail with spam, but to their credit microsoft are much better at
filtering nowadays, and now the joke's over, I just delete them. Anyway,
I fully understand the mistake of course, no need to apologise, I
brought the misunderstanding upon myself.

--
Andy

Re: Posting etiquette, [was: TB have a.....]

F1Com
On 10/20/2011 3:13 PM On a whim, Andy Civil pounded out on the keyboard

> That is because you are jumping to conclusions and you got it wrong.
> Read what I said; I wasn't making an issue out of you putting your name
> in the wrong place, my reason for 'piping in' is that you were
> addressing a normal person as though *he* was the odd one out. Subtle
> difference: I don't care enough to make an issue out of it, but I do
> care when you sleight someone else from an unsound position.

1.  If you think he is *normal* after stalking me on this issue for
years, I think you need to reconsider.
2.  In this group, John IS the odd one out.  You hadn't posted here
prior, and as you can tell, it doesn't matter to anyone else.

You obviously cared enough to make this comment, "Your signature (name)
is part of your signature (.sig)."  I don't need to tell you that is not
written in stone anywhere.

> Also, I have committed no offense in regards to my email address. I
> admit that it was initially funny to see how much I could load up
> hotmail with spam, but to their credit microsoft are much better at
> filtering nowadays, and now the joke's over, I just delete them. Anyway,
> I fully understand the mistake of course, no need to apologise, I
> brought the misunderstanding upon myself.

Regardless, that address still sends to a valid domain, and could
possibly wind up being someones actual email address some day.  It's not
a mistake, it's the wrong way to munge.

Terry