Re: Disable specific Seamonkey components

Re: Disable specific Seamonkey components

Daniel-257
Georg Maaß wrote:
> BeeNeR wrote:
>> I've already uninsatalled Chatzilla and won't miss Composer if it goes
>> away.
>
> Why should Composer go away? Most parts of it are shared with the email
> where you also need facility to compose HTML emails.

Why  do people *HAVE* to compose HTML emails?? Why not just a text email
with a link to the really necessary HTML stuff?

> So removing it is
> no big win.
>
> I use it as replacement for M$ Word where simple formatted text is
> needed.

If this is what MS Word was made for, why doesn't MS fix it so it does
the job right??

For this it is good. It is not designed for writing books or
> making web sites, but is also good enough for editing HTML only webpages.

IMHO, of course!

(Follow up set to Mozilla.general)

Daniel

Re: Disable specific Seamonkey components

MCBastos
Interviewed by CNN on 8/3/2010 07:38, Daniel told the world:

> Why  do people *HAVE* to compose HTML emails?? Why not just a text email
> with a link to the really necessary HTML stuff?

Unfortunately, like or don't like it, HTML mail is here to stay.
Removing this capability now wouldn't help Seamonkey to win users --
many, many people use it, and would miss it if removed.

> If this is what MS Word was made for, why doesn't MS fix it so it does
> the job right??

Well, that's Microsoft's job.

--
MCBastos

use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

-=-=-
... BOFH excuse #49:
Bogon emissions

Re: Disable specific Seamonkey components

PhillipJones
Daniel wrote:
-------------------snip-------------------

> Why  do people *HAVE* to compose HTML emails?? Why not just a text email
> with a link to the really necessary HTML stuff?

Well in some cases as an example myself and and another fellow on the
SeaMonkey group Character encoding is all over the place in plain text.
about 4 out of 10 messages show up with strange characters. diamond
shape hearts and question marks box foreign characters and such.

At least in HTML what you you send and what ever you receive in HTML is
what its supposed to be.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.    "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net           http://www.vpea.org

MCBastos wrote:
> Interviewed by CNN on 8/3/2010 07:38, Daniel told the world:
>>
>> Why  do people *HAVE* to compose HTML emails?? Why not just a text email
>> with a link to the really necessary HTML stuff?
>
> Unfortunately, like or don't like it, HTML mail is here to stay.
> Removing this capability now wouldn't help Seamonkey to win users --
> many, many people use it, and would miss it if removed.

If SeaMonkey or even Thunderbird were to remover html their use of it
would die in an instant except for Old diehard's that want to ride
around in horse drawn carriages  and using buggy whips to speed up the
horse's movement.

I predict everything will be in some form of HTML within next 10-20 years.

Re: Disable specific Seamonkey components

Leonidas Jones-2
Phillip Jones wrote:
> MCBastos wrote:
>> Interviewed by CNN on 8/3/2010 07:38, Daniel told the world:

/snip/
> If SeaMonkey or even Thunderbird were to remover html their use of it
> would die in an instant except for Old diehard's that want to ride
> around in horse drawn carriages and using buggy whips to speed up the
> horse's movement.
>
> I predict everything will be in some form of HTML within next 10-20 years.
> -------------------snip-------------------
/crossposting snipped/

Well I agree with one part of your assessment.  HTML mail will net be
removed from SeaMonkey, and, as I am sure you know, there is no thought
to do so, so even mentioning the idea is deceptive.

What I notice with the people I migrate to SM, is that, at first, they
all want html.  However, after a while, many realize what a waste of
time it is, and opt for plain text in most cases.

There is a legitimate use for html in business use, and less so for
personal use.  I receive several html newsletters, which are best viewed
in html, so I switch my viewing mode for those.  I even send one out
myself in html, which works much better for that purpose.

My wife sends out birthday and holiday greetings to our friends and
family in lieu of hard copy cards in most cases.  This is clearly a case
where html email does a job that plain text cannot.

However, for 98% of the email I receive, which is a considerable amount,
plain text is far superior.  Its quicker, faster, and more to the point.

It is good that both modes are available, and, as you know perfectly
well, they will both stay available.

Lee

Re: Disable specific Seamonkey components

Paul B. Gallagher
Phillip Jones wrote:

> MCBastos wrote:
>> Interviewed by CNN on 8/3/2010 07:38, Daniel told the world:
>>>
>>> Why  do people *HAVE* to compose HTML emails?? Why not just a text email
>>> with a link to the really necessary HTML stuff?
>>
>> Unfortunately, like or don't like it, HTML mail is here to stay.
>> Removing this capability now wouldn't help Seamonkey to win users --
>> many, many people use it, and would miss it if removed.
>>

> If SeaMonkey or even Thunderbird were to remover html their use of it
> would die in an instant except for Old diehard's that want to ride
> around in horse drawn carriages  and using buggy whips to speed up the
> horse's movement.
>
> I predict everything will be in some form of HTML within next 10-20 years.
> -------------------snip-------------------

But true Old Diehards don't put apostrophes in plurals. We know better. ;-)

Paul B. Gallagher

Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

> Phillip Jones wrote:
>> MCBastos wrote:
>>> Interviewed by CNN on 8/3/2010 07:38, Daniel told the world:

>>> Unfortunately, like or don't like it, HTML mail is here to stay.
>>> Removing this capability now wouldn't help Seamonkey to win users --
>>> many, many people use it, and would miss it if removed.
>>>

>> If SeaMonkey or even Thunderbird were to remove html their use of it
>> would die in an instant except for Old diehard's that want to ride
>> around in horse drawn carriages  and using buggy whips to speed up the
>> horse's movement.
>>
>> I predict everything will be in some form of HTML within next 10-20 years.
>> -------------------snip-------------------
>
> But true Old Diehards don't put apostrophes in plurals. We know better. ;-)

chalk it up to the spell checker "diehards" shows as incorrect spelling
while "diehard's" is not.  :-)
die-hards  even is show as incorrect spelling.
--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.    "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net           http://www.vpea.org
mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Disable specific Seamonkey components

Jay Garcia
On 08.03.2010 09:51, Leonidas Jones wrote:

>>> Interviewed by CNN on 8/3/2010 07:38, Daniel told the world:
>>>>
> /snip/
>> If SeaMonkey or even Thunderbird were to remover html their use of it
>> would die in an instant except for Old diehard's that want to ride
>> around in horse drawn carriages and using buggy whips to speed up the
>> horse's movement.
>>
>> I predict everything will be in some form of HTML within next 10-20
>> years.
>> -------------------snip-------------------
> /crossposting snipped/
>
> Well I agree with one part of your assessment.  HTML mail will net be
> removed from SeaMonkey, and, as I am sure you know, there is no thought
> to do so, so even mentioning the idea is deceptive.
>
> What I notice with the people I migrate to SM, is that, at first, they
> all want html.  However, after a while, many realize what a waste of
> time it is, and opt for plain text in most cases.
>
> There is a legitimate use for html in business use, and less so for
> personal use.  I receive several html newsletters, which are best viewed
> in html, so I switch my viewing mode for those.  I even send one out
> myself in html, which works much better for that purpose.
>
> My wife sends out birthday and holiday greetings to our friends and
> family in lieu of hard copy cards in most cases.  This is clearly a case
> where html email does a job that plain text cannot.
>
> However, for 98% of the email I receive, which is a considerable amount,
> plain text is far superior.  Its quicker, faster, and more to the point.
>
> It is good that both modes are available, and, as you know perfectly
> well, they will both stay available.
>
> Lee

When my son and daughter were away at college we would always compose
neat little messages in html format .. just a little slice of homespun
mail. :-)

We still do from time to time as both live away from "home".

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org

On 08.03.2010 13:06, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

>>> Interviewed by CNN on 8/3/2010 07:38, Daniel told the world:

>>> Unfortunately, like or don't like it, HTML mail is here to stay.
>>> Removing this capability now wouldn't help Seamonkey to win users --
>>> many, many people use it, and would miss it if removed.
>>>

>> If SeaMonkey or even Thunderbird were to remover html their use of it
>> would die in an instant except for Old diehard's that want to ride
>> around in horse drawn carriages  and using buggy whips to speed up the
>> horse's movement.
>>
>> I predict everything will be in some form of HTML within next 10-20
>> years.
>> -------------------snip-------------------
>
> But true Old Diehards don't put apostrophes in plurals. We know better. ;-)

We's do ?? 8-)

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support

Re: Disable specific Seamonkey components

Chris Ilias-4
On 10-03-08 5:38 AM, Daniel wrote:
> (Follow up set to Mozilla.general)

Thanks for the effort Daniel. However the Reply-To header is only for
email. For newsgroups, you need to use the Followup-To header.
See <http://ilias.ca/flashback/tb2-followup.html>.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 08.03.2010 13:06, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

So, Jay, does that make you not old or not a diehard?

Daniel

Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 10-03-08 5:38 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> (Follow up set to Mozilla.general)
>
> Thanks for the effort Daniel. However the Reply-To header is only for
> email. For newsgroups, you need to use the Followup-To header.
> See <http://ilias.ca/flashback/tb2-followup.html>.

I was wondering what went wrong!! I'm sure I did follow-up, but,
obviously, I stuffed it up.

You know what "they" say about a little knowledge........!?!?

Daniel

Re: Disable specific Seamonkey components

John Small-6
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 10:38:45 UTC, Daniel <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Georg Maaá wrote:
> > BeeNeR wrote:
> >> I've already uninsatalled Chatzilla and won't miss Composer if it goes
> >> away.
> >
> > Why should Composer go away? Most parts of it are shared with the email
> > where you also need facility to compose HTML emails.
>
> Why  do people *HAVE* to compose HTML emails?? Why not just a text email
> with a link to the really necessary HTML stuff?
Amen!!!

--

John Small

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 12:07:53 UTC, MCBastos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Interviewed by CNN on 8/3/2010 07:38, Daniel told the world:
> >
> > Why  do people *HAVE* to compose HTML emails?? Why not just a text email
> > with a link to the really necessary HTML stuff?
>
> Unfortunately, like or don't like it, HTML mail is here to stay.
> Removing this capability now wouldn't help Seamonkey to win users --
> many, many people use it,

True, unfortunately

> ... and would miss it if removed.

I doubt it.