Re: Dangers (If Any) Of Not Updating Firefox ?

Re: Dangers (If Any) Of Not Updating Firefox ?

J. P. Gilliver (John)-2
In message
<[hidden email]>, Good
Guy <[hidden email]> writes:

>On 11/08/2017 10:46, Jeremy Nicoll wrote:
>  On Fri, 11 Aug 2017, at 10:37, Michael wrote:
>

>>    If Firefox tries to force an upgrade despite my settings saying
>>    not to
>>    update, I will ditch the programme completely.
>

>  Why?  Why would you rather not have Firefox at all, than have an
>  uptodate
>  version (even if you rarely use the latter)?
>
>The problem with applications that are given away for free is that
>people become sceptical of them.  Microsoft gave away Windows 10 for
>one year and the take up wasn't as much as they expected because in
>people's mind free is not something they want;.  They want a product
>that can do something useful.

I wouldn't say that was the main reason.
[]
>The moral of this post is that FREE software doesn't create excitement
>as much as a paid version.  Now go and figure this out why?.

I don't think this is all that true: I haven't _bought_ any software for
a long time, so for me, free software is of _more_ interest.

Quantum particles: the dreams that stuff is made of - David Moser

Re: Dangers (If Any) Of Not Updating Firefox ?

Big Al-2
On 08/11/2017 12:51 PM, Good Guy wrote:
> People are wary of Google as a corporation but  but they are quite
> willing to use their browser because they think it is more secure and it
> has more features.

Not necessarily.  I only use Chrome because of its UI.   Secure never
came into my mind.    If you mean features = UI then you're right.

Chrome in my opinion is less customizable than FF.  Yes I miss FF and
some of the toys, but my main issue is the size of all the junk at the
top of the window taking so much screen space.   It's a person
preference thing of course, and I could use FF and I do have it loaded.

Re: Dangers (If Any) Of Not Updating Firefox ?

Lucifer Morningstar
On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 12:26:05 -0400, Big Al <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 11/08/2017 12:51 PM, Good Guy wrote:
>> People are wary of Google as a corporation but  but they are quite
>> willing to use their browser because they think it is more secure and it
>> has more features.
>
>Not necessarily.  I only use Chrome because of its UI.   Secure never
>came into my mind.    If you mean features = UI then you're right.
>
>Chrome in my opinion is less customizable than FF.  Yes I miss FF and
>some of the toys, but my main issue is the size of all the junk at the
>top of the window taking so much screen space.   It's a person
>preference thing of course, and I could use FF and I do have it loaded.

Recent versions of FF allow you to customise what junk you
have at the top of the window and you can switch to full screen.