Re: Compacting

1234567 ... 12

Re: Compacting

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:49:31 PM, and on a
whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:

> Terry R. wrote:
>
>> It's not "replace".  It's what I use.  I've used WordPerfect, Lotus 123,
>> forever.  And I'm not going to "replace" them.  I have years of macros,
>> templates, forms, that won't import into Excel, Word, or anything else.
>
> the one that would come close might be Open Office for
> Mac: http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/

"Come close" doesn't even start.  While I recommend OO for new users and
those without years of computer experience, there isn't any package that
can replace them.  About ten years ago I started to rework my macros
into Excel and there is either no replacement for many actions or it was
way too time consuming to mess with.

Terry R.

Re: Compacting

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Friday, March 13, 2009 12:57:26 AM, and on a whim,
Ron Hunter pounded out on the keyboard:

> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:52:16 PM, and on a
>>> whim, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Trust me, I know. I work on them. But many Mac users won't be honest
>>> sometimes. ;-)

>>> That's why I use a PC. What I need and use isn't available for Macs and
>>> won't run on Linux.

>>> Active-X is going away. IE8 will change a lot.

>>> Try it, you'll like it.
>>>
>>> Terry R.
>> I have to disagree about the software issue.  There are loads of
>> applications for Macs. The only, only thing I still have to use Widows
>> for is to open Publisher files.  Beyond that, I would not need to boot
>> Windows at all.
>>
>> Then again, you can run WIndows on a Mac.  Being Cheap, I havge
>> installed Q (not »Q« ) a Mac port of Qemu.  I can run Win 2K, Win ME,
>> Ubuntu, Puppy, all from my Mac, in an emulator.
>>
>> Still, except to play around, the only reason I open it is to open a pub
>> file.
>>
>> Lee
> I can't imagine why anyone would want to run WinME on ANY computer.
> I am still unsure why, if the Mac OS is so great, they don't market it
> separately and drive Microsoft out of the OS business.

Easy answer.  Then MS would pull the plug on MSO and RDP which allows
Macs to communicate in the corporate world.  And Apple wants CONTROL.

I still have a partition of ME on this workstation.  I've been
considering pulling the plug on it, as I only have a few clients that
still have it.

Terry R.

Re: Compacting

PhillipJones
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:41:42 PM, and on a
>> whim, Leonidas Jones pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> I have to disagree about the software issue. There are loads of
>>> applications for Macs. The only, only thing I still have to use Widows
>>> for is to open Publisher files. Beyond that, I would not need to boot
>>> Windows at all.
>>>

>> That's depends on the user. There may be "loads" of apps for Mac, but
>> not the ones I use, and not near what is available for a PC. It's stupid
>> to me that MS ported Office to Mac but not Publisher. MS is lazy, and
>> just did what was needed to keep Apple alive.
>>

>>> Then again, you can run WIndows on a Mac. Being Cheap, I havge
>>> installed Q (not »Q« ) a Mac port of Qemu. I can run Win 2K, Win ME,
>>> Ubuntu, Puppy, all from my Mac, in an emulator.
>>>
>>> Still, except to play around, the only reason I open it is to open a
>>> pub file.
>>>
>>> Lee
>>
>> Yes, you can run Windows on Macs, and many of my users do, because they
>> HAVE to run apps that aren't available on Mac's. Otherwise why would a
>> Mac user do it? Apple knew it was impossible to keep themselves going
>> without offering Boot Camp or emulator software, and the Intel move was
>> only for survival.
>>

>> Terry R.
>
> I'm curious, what are the Windows apps that you cannot replace on a Mac?
>
> Lee
For one thing a lot of the customized software for Doctors, Lawyers,
Hospitals, Government agencies, even Tax prep software and Bookkeeping
software to Bookkeeping outfits. Can't be not because its difficult, but
because there is lack of interest in the Mac Platform . And if there is
lack of interest  there there is lack on interest in using a Mac.

--
Phillip M. Jones, CET        If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!
          http://www.vpea.org                http://www.phillipmjones.net

Re: Compacting

PhillipJones
Ron Hunter wrote:

> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:52:16 PM, and on a
>>> whim, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Trust me, I know. I work on them. But many Mac users won't be honest
>>> sometimes. ;-)

>>> That's why I use a PC. What I need and use isn't available for Macs and
>>> won't run on Linux.

>>> Active-X is going away. IE8 will change a lot.

>>> Try it, you'll like it.
>>>
>>> Terry R.
>>
>> I have to disagree about the software issue.  There are loads of
>> applications for Macs. The only, only thing I still have to use Widows
>> for is to open Publisher files.  Beyond that, I would not need to boot
>> Windows at all.
>>
>> Then again, you can run WIndows on a Mac.  Being Cheap, I havge
>> installed Q (not »Q« ) a Mac port of Qemu.  I can run Win 2K, Win ME,
>> Ubuntu, Puppy, all from my Mac, in an emulator.
>>
>> Still, except to play around, the only reason I open it is to open a
>> pub file.
>>
>> Lee
> I can't imagine why anyone would want to run WinME on ANY computer.
> I am still unsure why, if the Mac OS is so great, they don't market it
> separately and drive Microsoft out of the OS business.

They would in a heartbeat. Problem is there is no comparable software
equvilent on PC Box. MS ain't a going to create it. and Gates would kill
any company to design it for the PC Platform.

--
Phillip M. Jones, CET        If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!
          http://www.vpea.org                http://www.phillipmjones.net
mailto:[hidden email]
G4-500 1.5GB RAM System OSX.4.11 PowerBook 17" 2GB RAM OSX.4.11

Re: Compacting

Ron Hunter
Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

> »Q« wrote:
>> In <news:[hidden email]>,
>> "Terry R." <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> After one of our children dumped soda on my expensive wireless
>>> keyboard a few years ago, I now only buy inexpensive ones that feel
>>> responsive. Now you can get a nice wired keyboard for $15, and a
>>> wireless combo for $20.
>> I stick with cheap ones, too.  My current favorite is the basic
>> Logitech wired one[1].  They list it at 15 USD, but there are online
>> retailers selling it for 8 or 9.  It's quiet and has good tactile
>> response.
>>
>> [1]
>> <http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/business/products/keyboards/devices/582>
>>

> I uses a Macalley Ikey extended key board I originally bought for use
> with my G4-500.
>
> The only thing I have wrong with it is one of the little feet you can
> pull  or down so the keyboard tilts is broken I've been aim to look and
> see if I could find two of these off a  dead keyboard I could snap in place.
>
> Other than that works great. feels almost like using typewriter keys
> which is what I like.

Like typewriter keys?  You mean as in a ballistic delay?  PLEASE.  If I
NEVER see another typewriter, it will be way too soon!
I miss them like I miss film cameras, and Hollerith punched cards!

--
Ron Hunter  [hidden email]

Re: Compacting

Ron Hunter
Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:41:42 PM, and on a
>> whim, Leonidas Jones pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> I have to disagree about the software issue.  There are loads of
>>> applications for Macs. The only, only thing I still have to use Widows
>>> for is to open Publisher files.  Beyond that, I would not need to boot
>>> Windows at all.
>>>
>> That's depends on the user.  There may be "loads" of apps for Mac, but
>> not the ones I use, and not near what is available for a PC.  It's
>> stupid to me that MS ported Office to Mac but not Publisher.  MS is
>> lazy, and just did what was needed to keep Apple alive.
>>

>>> Then again, you can run WIndows on a Mac.  Being Cheap, I havge
>>> installed Q (not »Q« ) a Mac port of Qemu.  I can run Win 2K, Win ME,
>>> Ubuntu, Puppy, all from my Mac, in an emulator.
>>>
>>> Still, except to play around, the only reason I open it is to open a
>>> pub file.
>>>
>>> Lee
>> Yes, you can run Windows on Macs, and many of my users do, because they
>> HAVE to run apps that aren't available on Mac's.  Otherwise why would a
>> Mac user do it?  Apple knew it was impossible to keep themselves going
>> without offering Boot Camp or emulator software, and the Intel move was
>> only for survival.
>>

> The Bootcamp come along only because of the Intel switch over. the Intel
> chip allow for use of different OS using the same chip. Motorola's
> PowerPC chips don't.  I suppose if apple were to ask Motorola again to
> supply chips they would ask how far and how high and what direction to jump.
>
> And had Apple been able to light a fire under Motorola's a.., to get the
> speed up on the PowerPC chips, we would still be using PowerPC. Motorola
> called Apple's bluff and lost big time.
>
> I'm not a fan of the Intel switch over, but what done is done.
>
> What software companies don't realize, is they create self-fulfilling
> prophecy lack of software, lack of growth in a particular sector. The
> more high quality titles and software, the more interest in a Platform.
>
> And as for Gates rescue of Apple. That only came after his lawyers sat
> his a.. down and said look if apple goes under the federal government
> will have no choice but to break your company up into teeny tiny little
> pieces like AT&T because you will be a monopoly, the only game in the
> world.

It's amazing to me that AT&T is pulling itself back together just like
the terminator in Terminator 2.  Call for the Governator!

> And come to think of it. If apple had not come along do you think you
> would be using computer with Windows a GUI. No you would be on version
> 150 of DOS.

You mean we aren't?  Grin.  Nawww, Xerox had it first.

> Some times Competition spurs grow and change in an industry. Where if
> your the only game in town you can plug along like you did 30 years ago
> and shove it down your customers throats because you are the only game
> in town.

But it's NOT a monopoly, at least not technically.  All of which still
makes me wonder why, if the Mac OS is so much better than Windows, as
all Mac users seem to believe, WHY doesn't Apple package it up, and sell
it in Target as an alternative to Windows?  Could it be they don't
believe it can compete?  Or is it the fact that Seattle has more lawyers
than the country of Japan, and most of them work for Microsoft?

> Just like if Netscape hadn't come along, the internet as we know it
> wouldn't be here. We would still be using POTS lines, 300 baud modems ,
> and Bulletin Boards. It was only after netscape came out and Gates
> looked at he saw the potential. and he naturally way of think, I like
> this but I want to be the only game in town. So I will kill of Netscape
> ASAP. And he did. Now a shadow of the once great Netscape Lives on in
> the open source Mozilla
>

>> Terry R.

I believe that there was a precursor to Netscape, called Mosaic.
Mosaic, Netscape, Mozilla (Phoenix, Firebird, Firefox).  Used all but
Mosaic.

--
Ron Hunter  [hidden email]

Re: Compacting

Ron Hunter
Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> I have to disagree about the software issue.  There are loads of
>>> applications for Macs. The only, only thing I still have to use Widows
>>> for is to open Publisher files.  Beyond that, I would not need to boot
>>> Windows at all.
>>>
>>> Then again, you can run WIndows on a Mac.  Being Cheap, I havge
>>> installed Q (not »Q« ) a Mac port of Qemu.  I can run Win 2K, Win ME,
>>> Ubuntu, Puppy, all from my Mac, in an emulator.
>>>
>>> Still, except to play around, the only reason I open it is to open a
>>> pub file.
>>>
>>> Lee
>> I can't imagine why anyone would want to run WinME on ANY computer.
>> I am still unsure why, if the Mac OS is so great, they don't market it
>> separately and drive Microsoft out of the OS business.
>>

> They would in a heartbeat. Problem is there is no comparable software
> equvilent on PC Box. MS ain't a going to create it. and Gates would kill
> any company to design it for the PC Platform.

??  If a Mac can run Windows XP, then it should be a simple matter to
port Mac OS X over to run on a bog standard PC.

--
Ron Hunter  [hidden email]

Re: Compacting

clay-14
Ron Hunter wrote:

>...Active-X is going away. IE8 will change a lot.

>>> Try it, you'll like it.
>>>
>>> Terry R.
>>
>> I have to disagree about the software issue.  There are loads of
>> applications for Macs. The only, only thing I still have to use Widows
>> for is to open Publisher files.  Beyond that, I would not need to boot
>> Windows at all.
>>
>> Then again, you can run WIndows on a Mac.  Being Cheap, I havge
>> installed Q (not »Q« ) a Mac port of Qemu.  I can run Win 2K, Win ME,
>> Ubuntu, Puppy, all from my Mac, in an emulator.
>>
>> Still, except to play around, the only reason I open it is to open a
>> pub file.
>>
>> Lee
> I can't imagine why anyone would want to run WinME on ANY computer.
> I am still unsure why, if the Mac OS is so great, they don't market it
> separately and drive Microsoft out of the OS business.

Last time I checked, you could buy a box of Mac OS without buying a Mac
PC. *g*
Would look real pretty sitting on the shelf since that's all you could
do with it without the PC.

I'm guessing the reason they don't is hardware compatibility. Same curse
that plagues Linux.
Hardware manufacturers worship the mighty M$.
M$ keeps them alive by 'refining' it's OS periodically so that it
requires more resources to do the same thing, This forces Joe Public to
buy new hardware to run it.

Re: Compacting

Leonidas Jones-2
Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

> [...]
>
> And come to think of it. If apple had not come along do you think you
> would be using computer with Windows a GUI. No you would be on version
> 150 of DOS.
>
> Some times Competition spurs grow and change in an industry. Where if
> your the only game in town you can plug along like you did 30 years ago
> and shove it down your customers throats because you are the only game
> in town.
>
> Just like if Netscape hadn't come along, the internet as we know it
> wouldn't be here. We would still be using POTS lines, 300 baud modems ,
> and Bulletin Boards. It was only after netscape came out and Gates
> looked at he saw the potential. and he naturally way of think, I like
> this but I want to be the only game in town. So I will kill of Netscape
> ASAP. And he did. Now a shadow of the once great Netscape Lives on in

Actually, I don't think it was so much a speed issue.  The G5, for its
time was very fast.  The problem was Motorola could not get a G5 that
would run cool enough for use in a small box.  At a time the Apple was
promoting notebooks and Mac Minis heavily, that was simply unacceptable.

Lee

Re: Compacting

Leonidas Jones-2
Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was Friday, March 13, 2009 12:57:26 AM, and on a whim,
> Ron Hunter pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> I have to disagree about the software issue. There are loads of
>>> applications for Macs. The only, only thing I still have to use
>>> Widows for is to open Publisher files. Beyond that, I would not need
>>> to boot Windows at all.
>>>
>>> Then again, you can run WIndows on a Mac. Being Cheap, I havge
>>> installed Q (not »Q« ) a Mac port of Qemu. I can run Win 2K, Win ME,
>>> Ubuntu, Puppy, all from my Mac, in an emulator.
>>>
>>> Still, except to play around, the only reason I open it is to open a
>>> pub file.
>>>
>>> Lee
>> I can't imagine why anyone would want to run WinME on ANY computer.
>> I am still unsure why, if the Mac OS is so great, they don't market it
>> separately and drive Microsoft out of the OS business.
>>

> Easy answer. Then MS would pull the plug on MSO and RDP which allows
> Macs to communicate in the corporate world. And Apple wants CONTROL.
>
> I still have a partition of ME on this workstation. I've been
> considering pulling the plug on it, as I only have a few clients that
> still have it.
>

> Terry R.

I still maintain that, as the stopgap OS that it was, ME got a bad rap.
Why did I install it on Q?  I had the disk.  If the only need is to have
an os to boot for the purpose of working on one file, then you close it
again, ME is as good as any other Windows variant.

Lee

Re: Compacting

Leonidas Jones-2
Ron Hunter wrote:

> Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:
>> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> I can't imagine why anyone would want to run WinME on ANY computer.
>>> I am still unsure why, if the Mac OS is so great, they don't market
>>> it separately and drive Microsoft out of the OS business.
>>>

>> They would in a heartbeat. Problem is there is no comparable software
>> equvilent on PC Box. MS ain't a going to create it. and Gates would
>> kill any company to design it for the PC Platform.
>>
> ?? If a Mac can run Windows XP, then it should be a simple matter to
> port Mac OS X over to run on a bog standard PC.

Apple could easily do that if they wanted, but they like having control
over the hardware.

Lee

Re: Compacting

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Friday, March 13, 2009 8:13:49 AM, and on a whim,
Phillip Jones, C.E.T. pounded out on the keyboard:

>> Yes, you can run Windows on Macs, and many of my users do, because they
>> HAVE to run apps that aren't available on Mac's.  Otherwise why would a
>> Mac user do it?  Apple knew it was impossible to keep themselves going
>> without offering Boot Camp or emulator software, and the Intel move was
>> only for survival.
>>

> The Bootcamp come along only because of the Intel switch over. the Intel
> chip allow for use of different OS using the same chip. Motorola's
> PowerPC chips don't.  I suppose if apple were to ask Motorola again to
> supply chips they would ask how far and how high and what direction to jump.
>
> And had Apple been able to light a fire under Motorola's a.., to get the
> speed up on the PowerPC chips, we would still be using PowerPC. Motorola
> called Apple's bluff and lost big time.
>
> I'm not a fan of the Intel switch over, but what done is done.
>
> What software companies don't realize, is they create self-fulfilling
> prophecy lack of software, lack of growth in a particular sector. The
> more high quality titles and software, the more interest in a Platform.
>
> And as for Gates rescue of Apple. That only came after his lawyers sat
> his a.. down and said look if apple goes under the federal government
> will have no choice but to break your company up into teeny tiny little
> pieces like AT&T because you will be a monopoly, the only game in the
> world.

And after breaking AT&T into many pieces, it has all come back together
into one.  Interesting how that happened.

> And come to think of it. If apple had not come along do you think you
> would be using computer with Windows a GUI. No you would be on version
> 150 of DOS.

Wrong.  Xerox had the first GUI.  Apple adopted it.

Terry R.

Re: Compacting

PhillipJones
Ron Hunter wrote:

> Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:
>> »Q« wrote:

>>> I stick with cheap ones, too.  My current favorite is the basic
>>> Logitech wired one[1].  They list it at 15 USD, but there are online
>>> retailers selling it for 8 or 9.  It's quiet and has good tactile
>>> response.
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> <http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/business/products/keyboards/devices/582>
>>>

>> I uses a Macalley Ikey extended key board I originally bought for use
>> with my G4-500.
>>
>> The only thing I have wrong with it is one of the little feet you can
>> pull  or down so the keyboard tilts is broken I've been aim to look
>> and see if I could find two of these off a  dead keyboard I could snap
>> in place.
>>
>> Other than that works great. feels almost like using typewriter keys
>> which is what I like.
>>
> Like typewriter keys?  You mean as in a ballistic delay?  PLEASE.  If I
> NEVER see another typewriter, it will be way too soon!
> I miss them like I miss film cameras, and Hollerith punched cards!

Actually I enjoy still Cameras one manual SLR and one an Automatic. The
automatic needs to be tighten up so that the film is taught. but still
takes good pictures.

--
Phillip M. Jones, CET        If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!
          http://www.vpea.org                http://www.phillipmjones.net
mailto:[hidden email]
G4-500 1.5GB RAM System OSX.4.11 PowerBook 17" 2GB RAM OSX.4.11

Re: Compacting

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Friday, March 13, 2009 9:08:00 AM, and on a whim,
clay pounded out on the keyboard:

> Last time I checked, you could buy a box of Mac OS without buying a Mac
> PC. *g*
> Would look real pretty sitting on the shelf since that's all you could
> do with it without the PC.
>
> I'm guessing the reason they don't is hardware compatibility. Same curse
> that plagues Linux.
> Hardware manufacturers worship the mighty M$.
> M$ keeps them alive by 'refining' it's OS periodically so that it
> requires more resources to do the same thing, This forces Joe Public to
> buy new hardware to run it.

Not hardware at all. Macs are just PC's now.  If Windows and OSX can run
on a Mac, it would run on a PC if the drivers were written for it.  But
there's no reason why the Apple hardware vendors couldn't sell their
products listed as "OSX compatible".

We've got until 2014 for XP support.  By then most will have purchased
new machines.  As long as I can get the drivers, I have no reason to
update an OS.  It serves no purpose but to allow my programs to run so I
can get my work done.

Terry R.

Re: Compacting

PhillipJones
Ron Hunter wrote:

> Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:
>> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> I can't imagine why anyone would want to run WinME on ANY computer.
>>> I am still unsure why, if the Mac OS is so great, they don't market
>>> it separately and drive Microsoft out of the OS business.
>>>

>> They would in a heartbeat. Problem is there is no comparable software
>> equvilent on PC Box. MS ain't a going to create it. and Gates would
>> kill any company to design it for the PC Platform.
>>
> ??  If a Mac can run Windows XP, then it should be a simple matter to
> port Mac OS X over to run on a bog standard PC.

Yes if there was a Pc equivalent to Bootcamp available. But that would
happen over Gates cold dead body.

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:
>> Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

>>> They would in a heartbeat. Problem is there is no comparable software
>>> equvilent on PC Box. MS ain't a going to create it. and Gates would
>>> kill any company to design it for the PC Platform.
>>>
>> ?? If a Mac can run Windows XP, then it should be a simple matter to
>> port Mac OS X over to run on a bog standard PC.
>>

> Apple could easily do that if they wanted, but they like having control
> over the hardware.
>
> Lee
If one goes to an apple online or physical store there is no one to stop
you from buying it, just because you own a PC. what's missing is the PC
equivalent of bootcamp. and it won't happen as long as MS is still a
company.

--
Phillip M. Jones, CET        If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!
          http://www.vpea.org                http://www.phillipmjones.net
mailto:[hidden email]
G4-500 1.5GB RAM System OSX.4.11 PowerBook 17" 2GB RAM OSX.4.11

Re: Compacting

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Friday, March 13, 2009 9:39:24 AM, and on a whim,
Leonidas Jones pounded out on the keyboard:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was Friday, March 13, 2009 12:57:26 AM, and on a whim,
>> Ron Hunter pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> I can't imagine why anyone would want to run WinME on ANY computer.
>>> I am still unsure why, if the Mac OS is so great, they don't market it
>>> separately and drive Microsoft out of the OS business.
>>>

>> Easy answer. Then MS would pull the plug on MSO and RDP which allows
>> Macs to communicate in the corporate world. And Apple wants CONTROL.
>>
>> I still have a partition of ME on this workstation. I've been
>> considering pulling the plug on it, as I only have a few clients that
>> still have it.
>>

>> Terry R.
>
> I still maintain that, as the stopgap OS that it was, ME got a bad rap.
> Why did I install it on Q?  I had the disk.  If the only need is to have
> an os to boot for the purpose of working on one file, then you close it
> again, ME is as good as any other Windows variant.
>
> Lee

That's true.  Since I have always shut down my workstations at the end
of each day, it never allowed ME to screw up.  Older versions needed to
be restarted regularly.  I still have to ask clients when they first
call with an issue, "Have you restarted?"  I think any OS needs to be
flushed and restarted.  I've never seen one that releases all the memory
used by an app and doesn't start behaving off peak form when left up too
long.

Terry R.

Re: Compacting

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Friday, March 13, 2009 9:55:21 AM, and on a whim,
Phillip Jones, C.E.T. pounded out on the keyboard:

> Ron Hunter wrote:
>> Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

>>> They would in a heartbeat. Problem is there is no comparable software
>>> equvilent on PC Box. MS ain't a going to create it. and Gates would
>>> kill any company to design it for the PC Platform.
>>>
>> ??  If a Mac can run Windows XP, then it should be a simple matter to
>> port Mac OS X over to run on a bog standard PC.
>>

> Yes if there was a Pc equivalent to Bootcamp available. But that would
> happen over Gates cold dead body.

PC's have had 'em for a long time.  They're called boot managers.  I
have 5 OS's on this workstation, DOS, 3 Windows, 1 linux.  Hardly ever
use the linux one though.

Terry R.

Re: Compacting

Leonidas Jones-2
Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was Friday, March 13, 2009 8:13:49 AM, and on a whim,
> Phillip Jones, C.E.T. pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>>> Yes, you can run Windows on Macs, and many of my users do, because
>>> they HAVE to run apps that aren't available on Mac's. Otherwise why
>>> would a Mac user do it? Apple knew it was impossible to keep
>>> themselves going without offering Boot Camp or emulator software, and
>>> the Intel move was only for survival.
>>>

>> The Bootcamp come along only because of the Intel switch over. the
>> Intel chip allow for use of different OS using the same chip.
>> Motorola's PowerPC chips don't. I suppose if apple were to ask
>> Motorola again to supply chips they would ask how far and how high and
>> what direction to jump.
>>
>> And had Apple been able to light a fire under Motorola's a.., to get
>> the speed up on the PowerPC chips, we would still be using PowerPC.
>> Motorola called Apple's bluff and lost big time.
>>
>> I'm not a fan of the Intel switch over, but what done is done.
>>
>> What software companies don't realize, is they create self-fulfilling
>> prophecy lack of software, lack of growth in a particular sector. The
>> more high quality titles and software, the more interest in a Platform.
>>
>> And as for Gates rescue of Apple. That only came after his lawyers sat
>> his a.. down and said look if apple goes under the federal government
>> will have no choice but to break your company up into teeny tiny
>> little pieces like AT&T because you will be a monopoly, the only game
>> in the world.
>
> And after breaking AT&T into many pieces, it has all come back together
> into one. Interesting how that happened.
>

>> And come to think of it. If apple had not come along do you think you
>> would be using computer with Windows a GUI. No you would be on version
>> 150 of DOS.
>>

> Wrong. Xerox had the first GUI. Apple adopted it.
>

> Terry R.

Odd, we were just discussing the old Lisa in another group:

http://oldcomputers.net/lisa.html

Lee

Re: Compacting

Leonidas Jones-2
Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was Friday, March 13, 2009 9:39:24 AM, and on a whim,
> Leonidas Jones pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>> The date and time was Friday, March 13, 2009 12:57:26 AM, and on a whim,
>>> Ron Hunter pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Easy answer. Then MS would pull the plug on MSO and RDP which allows
>>> Macs to communicate in the corporate world. And Apple wants CONTROL.
>>>
>>> I still have a partition of ME on this workstation. I've been
>>> considering pulling the plug on it, as I only have a few clients that
>>> still have it.
>>>

>>> Terry R.
>>
>> I still maintain that, as the stopgap OS that it was, ME got a bad
>> rap. Why did I install it on Q? I had the disk. If the only need is to
>> have an os to boot for the purpose of working on one file, then you
>> close it again, ME is as good as any other Windows variant.
>>
>> Lee
>
> That's true. Since I have always shut down my workstations at the end of
> each day, it never allowed ME to screw up. Older versions needed to be
> restarted regularly. I still have to ask clients when they first call
> with an issue, "Have you restarted?" I think any OS needs to be flushed
> and restarted. I've never seen one that releases all the memory used by
> an app and doesn't start behaving off peak form when left up too long.
>

> Terry R.

I leave them up to run backups overnight.  The Macs don't seem to have a
major problem with being on all the time.  They usually only get shut
down when Software Update requires it.

Lee
1234567 ... 12