Re: Compacting

123456 ... 12

Re: Compacting

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:54:16 PM, and on a
whim, clay pounded out on the keyboard:

> Terry R. wrote:
>>
>> After one of our children dumped soda on my expensive wireless keyboard
>> a few years ago, I now only buy inexpensive ones that feel responsive.
>
> Ditto on the inexpensive ones. Kensington makes a compact one, nice feel
> and all the keys. I have three on my desk so small is nice.
>
>> Now you can get a nice wired keyboard for $15, and a wireless combo for
>> $20.  The wireless combo I had that got ruined was about $150 at the
>> time.  It's still sitting in the closet....
>
> I've never owned a wireless one. Experimented on mom. Built her first,
> very own computer with an inexpensive Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse.
> Have to say, battery life was better than I expected. Several months
> before they need charging.
> Soon as one of the Kensington's die, I'm going to try wireless.
>
> I went back to wired as I
>> got tired of replacing batteries, and rechargeable ones didn't help.
>>

> Rechargables have come a long way. They charge faster and run longer.
> When NiMH first came out they were 750-800mAh. Now they are 2500mAh.
> That's over three times the charge life.
> The trick to them is having everything using rechargables so you can
> swap out the dead ones with another, less used battery powered device
> while they charge.
> Or, have a set of alkalines in a drawer to swap out while they charge.
> Alkalines keep forever.
> NiMH don't hold a charge worth a darn on the shelf. I can charge a brand
> new set of four, put two in the remote and two in a drawer. When the
> ones in the remote die (months later), the ones in the drawer are dead
> too. (grab two out of a mini maglite while they recharge...)
> Have AA to C adapters so I can use the 2500mAh NiMH AA's in My C cell
> Maglites. (Don't be fooled by the C and D size rechargables. Look at the
> mAh rating. 2500? They're just AA's in a bigger wrapper.)
> Only thing I buy Alkalines for anymore are the smoke detectors.
>
> http://batteryuniversity.com/index.htm

I've been using 2500mAh for quite some time.  They don't last very long
in wireless keyboards or mice, especially mice.  That's why I went back
to wired.  Not more than 3 or 4 weeks in a mouse.

Terry R.

Re: Compacting

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:41:42 PM, and on a
whim, Leonidas Jones pounded out on the keyboard:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:52:16 PM, and on a
>> whim, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> No Mac Users do have problems, maybe not to the scale of PC folk. But
>>> we still have them.
>>>
>> Trust me, I know. I work on them. But many Mac users won't be honest
>> sometimes. ;-)
>>
>>> Biggest problem is not as much software available. An much of what is,
>>> if there is a PC version, the Mac version has lack of features, that
>>> are in the PC version.
>>>
>> That's why I use a PC. What I need and use isn't available for Macs and
>> won't run on Linux.
>>
>>> For example in Acrobat inserting or having inserted a URL (hot Link)
>>> already active and colored appropriately is like falling of a log on
>>> PC version while in Mac version though can be done there are several
>>> steps to do and its pain in the arse to accomplish. They claim that
>>> the word documents normal converted to PDF have special hooks built
>>> in. there is nothing of the sort. They are just to lazy to provide the
>>> few lines of code to the Mac design unit to put in.
>>>
>>> In the case of things such as Active-X on PC that's actually a
>>> blessing in disguise.
>>>
>> Active-X is going away. IE8 will change a lot.
>>
>>> Nope I've never seen a pair of Rose colored glasses, let alone worn any.
>>>
>> Try it, you'll like it.
>>
>> Terry R.
>
> I have to disagree about the software issue.  There are loads of
> applications for Macs. The only, only thing I still have to use Widows
> for is to open Publisher files.  Beyond that, I would not need to boot
> Windows at all.

That's depends on the user.  There may be "loads" of apps for Mac, but
not the ones I use, and not near what is available for a PC.  It's
stupid to me that MS ported Office to Mac but not Publisher.  MS is
lazy, and just did what was needed to keep Apple alive.

> Then again, you can run WIndows on a Mac.  Being Cheap, I havge
> installed Q (not »Q« ) a Mac port of Qemu.  I can run Win 2K, Win ME,
> Ubuntu, Puppy, all from my Mac, in an emulator.
>
> Still, except to play around, the only reason I open it is to open a pub
> file.
>
> Lee

Yes, you can run Windows on Macs, and many of my users do, because they
HAVE to run apps that aren't available on Mac's.  Otherwise why would a
Mac user do it?  Apple knew it was impossible to keep themselves going
without offering Boot Camp or emulator software, and the Intel move was
only for survival.

Terry R.

Re: Compacting

Leonidas Jones-2
Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:41:42 PM, and on a
> whim, Leonidas Jones pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:52:16 PM, and on a
>>> whim, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Trust me, I know. I work on them. But many Mac users won't be honest
>>> sometimes. ;-)

>>> That's why I use a PC. What I need and use isn't available for Macs and
>>> won't run on Linux.

>>> Active-X is going away. IE8 will change a lot.

>>> Try it, you'll like it.
>>>
>>> Terry R.
>>
>> I have to disagree about the software issue. There are loads of
>> applications for Macs. The only, only thing I still have to use Widows
>> for is to open Publisher files. Beyond that, I would not need to boot
>> Windows at all.
>>

> That's depends on the user. There may be "loads" of apps for Mac, but
> not the ones I use, and not near what is available for a PC. It's stupid
> to me that MS ported Office to Mac but not Publisher. MS is lazy, and
> just did what was needed to keep Apple alive.
>

>> Then again, you can run WIndows on a Mac. Being Cheap, I havge
>> installed Q (not »Q« ) a Mac port of Qemu. I can run Win 2K, Win ME,
>> Ubuntu, Puppy, all from my Mac, in an emulator.
>>
>> Still, except to play around, the only reason I open it is to open a
>> pub file.
>>
>> Lee
>
> Yes, you can run Windows on Macs, and many of my users do, because they
> HAVE to run apps that aren't available on Mac's. Otherwise why would a
> Mac user do it? Apple knew it was impossible to keep themselves going
> without offering Boot Camp or emulator software, and the Intel move was
> only for survival.
>

> Terry R.

I'm curious, what are the Windows apps that you cannot replace on a Mac?

Lee

Re: Compacting

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:31:10 PM, and on a
whim, Leonidas Jones pounded out on the keyboard:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:41:42 PM, and on a
>> whim, Leonidas Jones pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> I have to disagree about the software issue. There are loads of
>>> applications for Macs. The only, only thing I still have to use Widows
>>> for is to open Publisher files. Beyond that, I would not need to boot
>>> Windows at all.
>>>
>> That's depends on the user. There may be "loads" of apps for Mac, but
>> not the ones I use, and not near what is available for a PC. It's stupid
>> to me that MS ported Office to Mac but not Publisher. MS is lazy, and
>> just did what was needed to keep Apple alive.
>>

>>> Then again, you can run WIndows on a Mac. Being Cheap, I havge
>>> installed Q (not »Q« ) a Mac port of Qemu. I can run Win 2K, Win ME,
>>> Ubuntu, Puppy, all from my Mac, in an emulator.
>>>
>>> Still, except to play around, the only reason I open it is to open a
>>> pub file.
>>>
>>> Lee
>> Yes, you can run Windows on Macs, and many of my users do, because they
>> HAVE to run apps that aren't available on Mac's. Otherwise why would a
>> Mac user do it? Apple knew it was impossible to keep themselves going
>> without offering Boot Camp or emulator software, and the Intel move was
>> only for survival.
>>

>> Terry R.
>
> I'm curious, what are the Windows apps that you cannot replace on a Mac?
>
> Lee

It's not "replace".  It's what I use.  I've used WordPerfect, Lotus 123,
forever.  And I'm not going to "replace" them.  I have years of macros,
templates, forms, that won't import into Excel, Word, or anything else.

The software for our cell phones, the program I use to track all phone
messages, video editor, online trading, document management, phone
answering/fax send receiving software, media server utilities.  It's not
just one or two "replacements".  There isn't any equivalent on another OS.

Terry R.

Re: Compacting

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
Terry R. wrote:

> It's not "replace".  It's what I use.  I've used WordPerfect, Lotus 123,
> forever.  And I'm not going to "replace" them.  I have years of macros,
> templates, forms, that won't import into Excel, Word, or anything else.

the one that would come close might be Open Office for
Mac: http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/

help!!!! Emails to me may become public

Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Compacting

Ken Whiton
*-* On Thu, 12 Mar 2009, at 19:11:50 -0400,
*-* In Article [hidden email],
*-* Leonidas Jones wrote
*-* About Re: Compacting

> Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:
>> »Q« wrote:
>>> In <news:[hidden email]>,
>>> squaredancer <[hidden email]> wrote:

           [ ... ]

>>> No leniency! You're just soft on them because you know Ilias uses
>>> a Mac. ;)

>> That'll be the day!

> Actually, I think he does have a Mac.  I'm not sure that he uses it
> full time.

      FWIW, it's what he's used the last few times he's posted here.

      Actually, unless/until Phillip clarifies it, it's difficult, if
not impossible, to tell what he was referring to:

      1. »Q«'s comment (suitably "smileyed") that Reg is soft on Macs
         because Chris uses one,
                or
      2. the fact that Chris uses one.

      I lean toward #1.

                                         Ken Whiton
--
     FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: [hidden email] (remove the obvious to reply)

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> Terry R. wrote:
>
>> It's not "replace".  It's what I use.  I've used WordPerfect, Lotus
>> 123, forever.  And I'm not going to "replace" them.  I have years of
>> macros, templates, forms, that won't import into Excel, Word, or
>> anything else.
>
> the one that would come close might be Open Office for Mac:
> http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/

also Neo Office:
http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

help!!!! Emails to me may become public

Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Compacting

Ron Hunter
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:52:16 PM, and on a
>> whim, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> No Mac Users do have problems, maybe not to the scale of PC folk. But
>>> we still have them.
>>>
>> Trust me, I know. I work on them. But many Mac users won't be honest
>> sometimes. ;-)
>>
>>> Biggest problem is not as much software available. An much of what is,
>>> if there is a PC version, the Mac version has lack of features, that
>>> are in the PC version.
>>>
>> That's why I use a PC. What I need and use isn't available for Macs and
>> won't run on Linux.
>>
>>> For example in Acrobat inserting or having inserted a URL (hot Link)
>>> already active and colored appropriately is like falling of a log on
>>> PC version while in Mac version though can be done there are several
>>> steps to do and its pain in the arse to accomplish. They claim that
>>> the word documents normal converted to PDF have special hooks built
>>> in. there is nothing of the sort. They are just to lazy to provide the
>>> few lines of code to the Mac design unit to put in.
>>>
>>> In the case of things such as Active-X on PC that's actually a
>>> blessing in disguise.
>>>
>> Active-X is going away. IE8 will change a lot.
>>
>>> Nope I've never seen a pair of Rose colored glasses, let alone worn any.
>>>
>> Try it, you'll like it.
>>
>> Terry R.
>
> I have to disagree about the software issue.  There are loads of
> applications for Macs. The only, only thing I still have to use Widows
> for is to open Publisher files.  Beyond that, I would not need to boot
> Windows at all.
>
> Then again, you can run WIndows on a Mac.  Being Cheap, I havge
> installed Q (not »Q« ) a Mac port of Qemu.  I can run Win 2K, Win ME,
> Ubuntu, Puppy, all from my Mac, in an emulator.
>
> Still, except to play around, the only reason I open it is to open a pub
> file.
>
> Lee
I can't imagine why anyone would want to run WinME on ANY computer.
I am still unsure why, if the Mac OS is so great, they don't market it
separately and drive Microsoft out of the OS business.

--
Ron Hunter  [hidden email]

Re: Compacting

Ron Hunter
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:41:42 PM, and on a
>> whim, Leonidas Jones pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> I have to disagree about the software issue. There are loads of
>>> applications for Macs. The only, only thing I still have to use Widows
>>> for is to open Publisher files. Beyond that, I would not need to boot
>>> Windows at all.
>>>
>> That's depends on the user. There may be "loads" of apps for Mac, but
>> not the ones I use, and not near what is available for a PC. It's stupid
>> to me that MS ported Office to Mac but not Publisher. MS is lazy, and
>> just did what was needed to keep Apple alive.
>>

>>> Then again, you can run WIndows on a Mac. Being Cheap, I havge
>>> installed Q (not »Q« ) a Mac port of Qemu. I can run Win 2K, Win ME,
>>> Ubuntu, Puppy, all from my Mac, in an emulator.
>>>
>>> Still, except to play around, the only reason I open it is to open a
>>> pub file.
>>>
>>> Lee
>> Yes, you can run Windows on Macs, and many of my users do, because they
>> HAVE to run apps that aren't available on Mac's. Otherwise why would a
>> Mac user do it? Apple knew it was impossible to keep themselves going
>> without offering Boot Camp or emulator software, and the Intel move was
>> only for survival.
>>

>> Terry R.
>
> I'm curious, what are the Windows apps that you cannot replace on a Mac?
>
> Lee
IE.  Grin.

--
Ron Hunter  [hidden email]

Re: Compacting

Ron Hunter
clay wrote:

> Terry R. wrote:
>>
>> After one of our children dumped soda on my expensive wireless keyboard
>> a few years ago, I now only buy inexpensive ones that feel responsive.
>
> Ditto on the inexpensive ones. Kensington makes a compact one, nice feel
> and all the keys. I have three on my desk so small is nice.
>
>> Now you can get a nice wired keyboard for $15, and a wireless combo for
>> $20.  The wireless combo I had that got ruined was about $150 at the
>> time.  It's still sitting in the closet....
>
> I've never owned a wireless one. Experimented on mom. Built her first,
> very own computer with an inexpensive Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse.
> Have to say, battery life was better than I expected. Several months
> before they need charging.
> Soon as one of the Kensington's die, I'm going to try wireless.
>
> I went back to wired as I
>> got tired of replacing batteries, and rechargeable ones didn't help.
>>

> Rechargables have come a long way. They charge faster and run longer.
> When NiMH first came out they were 750-800mAh. Now they are 2500mAh.
> That's over three times the charge life.
> The trick to them is having everything using rechargables so you can
> swap out the dead ones with another, less used battery powered device
> while they charge.
> Or, have a set of alkalines in a drawer to swap out while they charge.
> Alkalines keep forever.
> NiMH don't hold a charge worth a darn on the shelf. I can charge a brand
> new set of four, put two in the remote and two in a drawer. When the
> ones in the remote die (months later), the ones in the drawer are dead
> too. (grab two out of a mini maglite while they recharge...)
> Have AA to C adapters so I can use the 2500mAh NiMH AA's in My C cell
> Maglites. (Don't be fooled by the C and D size rechargables. Look at the
> mAh rating. 2500? They're just AA's in a bigger wrapper.)
> Only thing I buy Alkalines for anymore are the smoke detectors.
>
> http://batteryuniversity.com/index.htm

Newer NiMH batteries hold a charge up to a year (80% charge remaining).
  Those labeled 'hybrid' or 'Eneloop' are an example.  They even come
charged.  They have a lower mAh rating, but since the retain their
charge for a long time, are better suited to applications like
keyboards, and mice.

--
Ron Hunter  [hidden email]

Re: Compacting

Leonidas Jones-2
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>
>>> It's not "replace". It's what I use. I've used WordPerfect, Lotus
>>> 123, forever. And I'm not going to "replace" them. I have years of
>>> macros, templates, forms, that won't import into Excel, Word, or
>>> anything else.
>>
>> the one that would come close might be Open Office for Mac:
>> http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/
>>

> also Neo Office: http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

I've been using NeoOffice for years now, with great success.  I' haven't
tried the most recent OO.o on Mac, though I've heard it is still not as
smooth on Macs as Neo is.

Lee

Re: Compacting

squaredancer
On 12.03.2009 15:44, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  »Q« to
generate the following:? :

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> squaredancer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 12.03.2009 04:04, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  »Q« to
>> generate the following:? :

>>> Lee, you've been back what, a few days?  And already people are
>>> joking and having fun.  I've never seen the actual policy on it,
>>> but I've been told that fun is not allowed around here, and now I
>>> see why -- this string of posts just made coffee come out of my
>>> nose, which is totally unacceptable!
>>>
>> for once, I agree with you, >Q< - I certainly wouldn't accept coffee
>> from out your nose....
>>
>> Did you IMMEDIATELY up-turn your keyboard - just in case the little
>> chinaman in there gets drowned ???
>>

> Heh, I managed to get my hand between my face and the keyboard.  I did
> have to change shirts, though.
>

>>> As soon as I figure out how, I'm banning all three of
>>> you.  And I'm double-banning Mac users, who generally seem to be
>>> having way too much fun.
>>>
>> may I plead leniancy for Mac-users??  They don't have much to laugh
>> about, do they!
>>

> No leniency!  You're just soft on them because you know Ilias uses a
> Mac. ;)

hah!  you shouldn't have made that last statement.... me running to
revert leniency policy towards Mac-Users...

reg

Re: Compacting

squaredancer
On 12.03.2009 21:23, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Peter Potamus
the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :

> Terry R. wrote:
>
>> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:59:38 AM, and on a
>> whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Coffee is nothing.  Just wait until you've had Coke [as in Cola], or
>>> Pepsi, or Root Beer come pouring out. Nothing like a good tingling
>>> feeling.
>>>

>> Not counting the sticky sugar makes the keyboards almost useless after
>> it dries.
>>

>> Terry R.
>>

> maybe I'm a a lose here, but you're the second one here
> who said that, but why would ones keyboard be right
> under their nose?

because, Peter.... unlike you, we are old and short-sighted.
It's not exactly so that the keyboard is under the nose, but more like
that the nose is perilously close to the keyboard... not quite the same,
you understand ??
Try it with and without your spectacles.....

reg

Re: Compacting

squaredancer
On 12.03.2009 21:32, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  clay to
generate the following:? :

> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>
>>> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:59:38 AM, and on a
>>> whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Not counting the sticky sugar makes the keyboards almost useless after
>>> it dries.
>>>

>>> Terry R.
>>>
>> maybe I'm a a lose here, but you're the second one here who said that,
>> but why would ones keyboard be right under their nose?
>>

> It doesn't have to be under the nose.
> Placing hand over nose and mouth to try and contain the spewage, fingers
> act as a deflector/defuser increasing velocity and dispersion.
> Usual result varies from light mist to puddles on desktop, monitor,
> keyboard, cat, etc.

as well as a messy shirt-front *lol*

reg

Re: Compacting

squaredancer
On 12.03.2009 23:36, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Phillip Jones,
C.E.T. to generate the following:? :

> Terry R. wrote:
>
>> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:59:38 AM, and on a
>> whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:

<<snipped>>

> If its a keyboard valuable enough to try saving and you have access to
> FreonTF do the following:
>
> immediately one the keyboard case after unplugged from computer.
>
> fix a bucket of water and put a little dish detergent.  The dunk circuit
> board in that and let stay about an Hour.
>
> Then take out and dry with hair dryer. Next pour or brush on the
> FreonTF, or find a container large enough to hold the circuit board.
>
> place in container and pour FreonTF over until covered let sit another
> 1/2 hour.
>
> now remove and blow off excess moisture with compressed air.
>
> Now let air dry out side in bright sun for at least 8 hours.

hmmmm, Phillip - that means that we'll have to spill stuff only in the
months of July-August.... no other time we get 8 hours of sun in this
part of the world!

reg

Re: Compacting

squaredancer
On 13.03.2009 08:57, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Ron Hunter to
generate the following:? :

> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>
>>> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:41:42 PM, and on a
>>> whim, Leonidas Jones pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> That's depends on the user. There may be "loads" of apps for Mac, but
>>> not the ones I use, and not near what is available for a PC. It's stupid
>>> to me that MS ported Office to Mac but not Publisher. MS is lazy, and
>>> just did what was needed to keep Apple alive.

>>> Yes, you can run Windows on Macs, and many of my users do, because they
>>> HAVE to run apps that aren't available on Mac's. Otherwise why would a
>>> Mac user do it? Apple knew it was impossible to keep themselves going
>>> without offering Boot Camp or emulator software, and the Intel move was
>>> only for survival.
>>>

>>> Terry R.
>>>
>> I'm curious, what are the Windows apps that you cannot replace on a Mac?
>>
>> Lee
>>
> IE.  Grin.

with "apps", Lee meant Applications.... not apprehensives....

reg

Re: Compacting

squaredancer
On 13.03.2009 08:57, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Ron Hunter to
generate the following:? :

> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>
>>> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:52:16 PM, and on a
>>> whim, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Trust me, I know. I work on them. But many Mac users won't be honest
>>> sometimes. ;-)

>>> That's why I use a PC. What I need and use isn't available for Macs and
>>> won't run on Linux.

>>> Active-X is going away. IE8 will change a lot.

>>> Try it, you'll like it.
>>>
>>> Terry R.
>>>
>> I have to disagree about the software issue.  There are loads of
>> applications for Macs. The only, only thing I still have to use Widows
>> for is to open Publisher files.  Beyond that, I would not need to boot
>> Windows at all.
>>
>> Then again, you can run WIndows on a Mac.  Being Cheap, I havge
>> installed Q (not »Q« ) a Mac port of Qemu.  I can run Win 2K, Win ME,
>> Ubuntu, Puppy, all from my Mac, in an emulator.
>>
>> Still, except to play around, the only reason I open it is to open a pub
>> file.
>>
>> Lee
>>
> I can't imagine why anyone would want to run WinME on ANY computer.
> I am still unsure why, if the Mac OS is so great, they don't market it
> separately and drive Microsoft out of the OS business.

easy, Ron.... 'cos there ain't no place you can buy a Mac... all outlets
are kept very secret!

reg

Re: Compacting

PhillipJones
»Q« wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> "Terry R." <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> After one of our children dumped soda on my expensive wireless
>> keyboard a few years ago, I now only buy inexpensive ones that feel
>> responsive. Now you can get a nice wired keyboard for $15, and a
>> wireless combo for $20.
>
> I stick with cheap ones, too.  My current favorite is the basic
> Logitech wired one[1].  They list it at 15 USD, but there are online
> retailers selling it for 8 or 9.  It's quiet and has good tactile
> response.
>
> [1]
> <http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/business/products/keyboards/devices/582>

I uses a Macalley Ikey extended key board I originally bought for use
with my G4-500.

The only thing I have wrong with it is one of the little feet you can
pull  or down so the keyboard tilts is broken I've been aim to look and
see if I could find two of these off a  dead keyboard I could snap in place.

Other than that works great. feels almost like using typewriter keys
which is what I like.

--
Phillip M. Jones, CET        If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!
          http://www.vpea.org                http://www.phillipmjones.net

Re: Compacting

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Friday, March 13, 2009 7:33:34 AM, and on a whim,
squaredancer pounded out on the keyboard:

> On 12.03.2009 21:23, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Peter Potamus
> the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>
>>> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:59:38 AM, and on a
>>> whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Not counting the sticky sugar makes the keyboards almost useless after
>>> it dries.
>>>

>>> Terry R.
>>>
>> maybe I'm a a lose here, but you're the second one here
>> who said that, but why would ones keyboard be right
>> under their nose?
>>

> because, Peter.... unlike you, we are old and short-sighted.
> It's not exactly so that the keyboard is under the nose, but more like
> that the nose is perilously close to the keyboard... not quite the same,
> you understand ??
> Try it with and without your spectacles.....
>
> reg

And it tends to be an omnidirectional pattern rather than unidirectional...

Terry R.

Re: Compacting

PhillipJones
Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:41:42 PM, and on a
> whim, Leonidas Jones pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:52:16 PM, and on a
>>> whim, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Trust me, I know. I work on them. But many Mac users won't be honest
>>> sometimes. ;-)

>>> That's why I use a PC. What I need and use isn't available for Macs and
>>> won't run on Linux.

>>> Active-X is going away. IE8 will change a lot.

>>> Try it, you'll like it.
>>>
>>> Terry R.
>>
>> I have to disagree about the software issue.  There are loads of
>> applications for Macs. The only, only thing I still have to use Widows
>> for is to open Publisher files.  Beyond that, I would not need to boot
>> Windows at all.
>>

> That's depends on the user.  There may be "loads" of apps for Mac, but
> not the ones I use, and not near what is available for a PC.  It's
> stupid to me that MS ported Office to Mac but not Publisher.  MS is
> lazy, and just did what was needed to keep Apple alive.
>

>> Then again, you can run WIndows on a Mac.  Being Cheap, I havge
>> installed Q (not »Q« ) a Mac port of Qemu.  I can run Win 2K, Win ME,
>> Ubuntu, Puppy, all from my Mac, in an emulator.
>>
>> Still, except to play around, the only reason I open it is to open a
>> pub file.
>>
>> Lee
>
> Yes, you can run Windows on Macs, and many of my users do, because they
> HAVE to run apps that aren't available on Mac's.  Otherwise why would a
> Mac user do it?  Apple knew it was impossible to keep themselves going
> without offering Boot Camp or emulator software, and the Intel move was
> only for survival.

The Bootcamp come along only because of the Intel switch over. the Intel
chip allow for use of different OS using the same chip. Motorola's
PowerPC chips don't.  I suppose if apple were to ask Motorola again to
supply chips they would ask how far and how high and what direction to jump.

And had Apple been able to light a fire under Motorola's a.., to get the
speed up on the PowerPC chips, we would still be using PowerPC. Motorola
called Apple's bluff and lost big time.

I'm not a fan of the Intel switch over, but what done is done.

What software companies don't realize, is they create self-fulfilling
prophecy lack of software, lack of growth in a particular sector. The
more high quality titles and software, the more interest in a Platform.

And as for Gates rescue of Apple. That only came after his lawyers sat
his a.. down and said look if apple goes under the federal government
will have no choice but to break your company up into teeny tiny little
pieces like AT&T because you will be a monopoly, the only game in the
world.

And come to think of it. If apple had not come along do you think you
would be using computer with Windows a GUI. No you would be on version
150 of DOS.

Some times Competition spurs grow and change in an industry. Where if
your the only game in town you can plug along like you did 30 years ago
and shove it down your customers throats because you are the only game
in town.

Just like if Netscape hadn't come along, the internet as we know it
wouldn't be here. We would still be using POTS lines, 300 baud modems ,
and Bulletin Boards. It was only after netscape came out and Gates
looked at he saw the potential. and he naturally way of think, I like
this but I want to be the only game in town. So I will kill of Netscape
ASAP. And he did. Now a shadow of the once great Netscape Lives on in
the open source Mozilla