Re: Compacting

12345 ... 12

Re: Compacting

PhillipJones
»Q« wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Leonidas Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

>>> You can post multimudia in mozilla.support.meanshots <grin> but its
>>> moderated
>> I give up Dan, you win!!!!!  Good one!!!!
>
> Lee, you've been back what, a few days?  And already people are joking
> and having fun.  I've never seen the actual policy on it, but I've been
> told that fun is not allowed around here, and now I see why -- this
> string of posts just made coffee come out of my nose, which is totally
> unacceptable!  As soon as I figure out how, I'm banning all three of
> you.  And I'm double-banning Mac users, who generally seem to be having
> way too much fun.

I don't know where you get that idea that Mac users have way to much fun.

While our system is joy to use. In this world, its the world of PC's and
Bill Gates. And the world for Mac's is not truly hospitable. There is a
whole lot we have to put up with or endure.

That said, it does toughen our resolve for the most part.

--
Phillip M. Jones, CET        If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!
          http://www.vpea.org                http://www.phillipmjones.net

Re: Compacting

PhillipJones
squaredancer wrote:

> On 12.03.2009 04:04, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  »Q« to
> generate the following:? :
>> In <news:[hidden email]>,

>>> I give up Dan, you win!!!!!  Good one!!!!
>>>

>> Lee, you've been back what, a few days?  And already people are joking
>> and having fun.  I've never seen the actual policy on it, but I've been
>> told that fun is not allowed around here, and now I see why -- this
>> string of posts just made coffee come out of my nose, which is totally
>> unacceptable!
>
> for once, I agree with you, >Q< - I certainly wouldn't accept coffee
> from out your nose....
>
> Did you IMMEDIATELY up-turn your keyboard - just in case the little
> chinaman in there gets drowned ???
>

>> As soon as I figure out how, I'm banning all three of
>> you.  And I'm double-banning Mac users, who generally seem to be having
>> way too much fun.
>>

> may I plead leniency for Mac-users??  They don't have much to laugh
> about, do they!
>
> reg

Thanks Reg, even if you are saying so tongue-in-cheek. :-(

squaredancer wrote:

> On 12.03.2009 00:50, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Leonidas Jones
> to generate the following:? :
>> clay wrote:

>>> I fixed my user agent string. Maybe I can post there now.
>>>

>> Not until you change your browser UA to firfox.
>>
>> Lee
>>

> hmmmm - didn't Bill Gates get persecuted for that sort of corporate
> thinking ??
>
> reg

Almost til Pres Bush came in. Gates slipped him a few bucks and
prosecution was dropped. :-(

--
Phillip M. Jones, CET        If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!
          http://www.vpea.org                http://www.phillipmjones.net
mailto:[hidden email]
G4-500 1.5GB RAM System OSX.4.11 PowerBook 17" 2GB RAM OSX.4.11

Re: Compacting

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
squaredancer wrote:
> On 12.03.2009 04:04, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  »Q« to
> generate the following:? :

>> Lee, you've been back what, a few days?  And already people are joking
>> and having fun.  I've never seen the actual policy on it, but I've been
>> told that fun is not allowed around here, and now I see why -- this
>> string of posts just made coffee come out of my nose, which is totally
>> unacceptable!
>
> for once, I agree with you, >Q< - I certainly wouldn't accept coffee
> from out your nose....
>
> Did you IMMEDIATELY up-turn your keyboard - just in case the little
> chinaman in there gets drowned ???

Coffee is nothing.  Just wait until you've had Coke [as
in Cola], or Pepsi, or Root Beer come pouring out.
Nothing like a good tingling feeling.

help!!!! Emails to me may become public

Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Compacting

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:59:38 AM, and on a
whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:

> squaredancer wrote:
>> On 12.03.2009 04:04, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  »Q« to
>> generate the following:? :
>
>>> Lee, you've been back what, a few days?  And already people are joking
>>> and having fun.  I've never seen the actual policy on it, but I've been
>>> told that fun is not allowed around here, and now I see why -- this
>>> string of posts just made coffee come out of my nose, which is totally
>>> unacceptable!
>> for once, I agree with you, >Q< - I certainly wouldn't accept coffee
>> from out your nose....
>>
>> Did you IMMEDIATELY up-turn your keyboard - just in case the little
>> chinaman in there gets drowned ???
>
> Coffee is nothing.  Just wait until you've had Coke [as
> in Cola], or Pepsi, or Root Beer come pouring out.
> Nothing like a good tingling feeling.

Not counting the sticky sugar makes the keyboards almost useless after
it dries.

Terry R.

Re: Compacting

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:16:34 AM, and on a
whim, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. pounded out on the keyboard:

> »Q« wrote:
>> In <news:[hidden email]>,

>>> I give up Dan, you win!!!!!  Good one!!!!
>> Lee, you've been back what, a few days?  And already people are joking
>> and having fun.  I've never seen the actual policy on it, but I've been
>> told that fun is not allowed around here, and now I see why -- this
>> string of posts just made coffee come out of my nose, which is totally
>> unacceptable!  As soon as I figure out how, I'm banning all three of
>> you.  And I'm double-banning Mac users, who generally seem to be having
>> way too much fun.
>>

> I don't know where you get that idea that Mac users have way to much fun.

It's because Mac users NEVER have any problems!  So their world is
always looking through rose colored glasses!

> While our system is joy to use. In this world, its the world of PC's and
> Bill Gates. And the world for Mac's is not truly hospitable. There is a
> whole lot we have to put up with or endure.
>
> That said, it does toughen our resolve for the most part.

I think they co-exist pretty well now days.

Terry R.

Re: Compacting

Leonidas Jones-2
Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

> »Q« wrote:
>> In <news:[hidden email]>,

>>> I give up Dan, you win!!!!! Good one!!!!
>>
>> Lee, you've been back what, a few days? And already people are joking
>> and having fun. I've never seen the actual policy on it, but I've been
>> told that fun is not allowed around here, and now I see why -- this
>> string of posts just made coffee come out of my nose, which is totally
>> unacceptable! As soon as I figure out how, I'm banning all three of
>> you. And I'm double-banning Mac users, who generally seem to be having
>> way too much fun.
>>

> I don't know where you get that idea that Mac users have way to much fun.
>
> While our system is joy to use. In this world, its the world of PC's and
> Bill Gates. And the world for Mac's is not truly hospitable. There is a
> whole lot we have to put up with or endure.
>
> That said, it does toughen our resolve for the most part.

I don't know Phillip, I'm having a lot of fun!!

Lee

Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:59:38 AM, and on a
> whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>> On 12.03.2009 04:04, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  »Q« to
>>> generate the following:? :

>>> for once, I agree with you, >Q< - I certainly wouldn't accept coffee
>>> from out your nose....
>>>
>>> Did you IMMEDIATELY up-turn your keyboard - just in case the little
>>> chinaman in there gets drowned ???
>>
>> Coffee is nothing.  Just wait until you've had Coke [as in Cola], or
>> Pepsi, or Root Beer come pouring out. Nothing like a good tingling
>> feeling.
>>

> Not counting the sticky sugar makes the keyboards almost useless after
> it dries.
>

> Terry R.

maybe I'm a a lose here, but you're the second one here
who said that, but why would ones keyboard be right
under their nose?

help!!!! Emails to me may become public

Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Compacting

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:23:26 PM, and on a
whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:59:38 AM, and on a
>> whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Coffee is nothing.  Just wait until you've had Coke [as in Cola], or
>>> Pepsi, or Root Beer come pouring out. Nothing like a good tingling
>>> feeling.
>>>
>> Not counting the sticky sugar makes the keyboards almost useless after
>> it dries.
>>

>> Terry R.
>
> maybe I'm a a lose here, but you're the second one here
> who said that, but why would ones keyboard be right
> under their nose?

Why would a liquid coming out of a nose be directional?

Terry R.

Re: Compacting

clay-14
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:59:38 AM, and on a
>> whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Coffee is nothing.  Just wait until you've had Coke [as in Cola], or
>>> Pepsi, or Root Beer come pouring out. Nothing like a good tingling
>>> feeling.
>>>

>> Not counting the sticky sugar makes the keyboards almost useless after
>> it dries.
>>

>> Terry R.
>
> maybe I'm a a lose here, but you're the second one here who said that,
> but why would ones keyboard be right under their nose?

It doesn't have to be under the nose.
Placing hand over nose and mouth to try and contain the spewage, fingers
act as a deflector/defuser increasing velocity and dispersion.
Usual result varies from light mist to puddles on desktop, monitor,
keyboard, cat, etc.

Re: Compacting

PhillipJones
»Q« wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> squaredancer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 12.03.2009 04:04, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  »Q« to
>> generate the following:? :

>>> Lee, you've been back what, a few days?  And already people are
>>> joking and having fun.  I've never seen the actual policy on it,
>>> but I've been told that fun is not allowed around here, and now I
>>> see why -- this string of posts just made coffee come out of my
>>> nose, which is totally unacceptable!
>> for once, I agree with you, >Q< - I certainly wouldn't accept coffee
>> from out your nose....
>>
>> Did you IMMEDIATELY up-turn your keyboard - just in case the little
>> chinaman in there gets drowned ???
>
> Heh, I managed to get my hand between my face and the keyboard.  I did
> have to change shirts, though.
>
>>> As soon as I figure out how, I'm banning all three of
>>> you.  And I'm double-banning Mac users, who generally seem to be
>>> having way too much fun.
>> may I plead leniancy for Mac-users??  They don't have much to laugh
>> about, do they!
>
> No leniency!  You're just soft on them because you know Ilias uses a
> Mac. ;)

That'll be the day!

Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:59:38 AM, and on a
> whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>> On 12.03.2009 04:04, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  »Q« to
>>> generate the following:? :

>>> for once, I agree with you, >Q< - I certainly wouldn't accept coffee
>>> from out your nose....
>>>
>>> Did you IMMEDIATELY up-turn your keyboard - just in case the little
>>> chinaman in there gets drowned ???
>>
>> Coffee is nothing.  Just wait until you've had Coke [as in Cola], or
>> Pepsi, or Root Beer come pouring out. Nothing like a good tingling
>> feeling.
>>

> Not counting the sticky sugar makes the keyboards almost useless after
> it dries.
>

> Terry R.

If its a keyboard valuable enough to try saving and you have access to
FreonTF do the following:

immediately one the keyboard case after unplugged from computer.

fix a bucket of water and put a little dish detergent.  The dunk circuit
board in that and let stay about an Hour.

Then take out and dry with hair dryer. Next pour or brush on the
FreonTF, or find a container large enough to hold the circuit board.

place in container and pour FreonTF over until covered let sit another
1/2 hour.

now remove and blow off excess moisture with compressed air.

Now let air dry out side in bright sun for at least 8 hours.

I've rescued a VCR  or two from too much WD-40 lubricant some one tried
to use to fixed their own VCR. Also a circuit board or two that had soft
drink spilled on it.

Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:23:26 PM, and on a
> whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:59:38 AM, and on a
>>> whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Not counting the sticky sugar makes the keyboards almost useless
>>> after it dries.
>>>

>>> Terry R.
>>
>> maybe I'm a a lose here, but you're the second one here who said that,
>> but why would ones keyboard be right under their nose?
>>

> Why would a liquid coming out of a nose be directional?
>

> Terry R.
unless you nose it shaped different them mine the air holes in your nose
points down . if you happen to be sitting normal position in front of
keyboard it likely any soft drink shooting out you nose would naturally
hit at least part of the keyboard unless you sit two or three feet away
from keyboard. :-)

Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:16:34 AM, and on a
> whim, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> »Q« wrote:

>>> Lee, you've been back what, a few days?  And already people are joking
>>> and having fun.  I've never seen the actual policy on it, but I've been
>>> told that fun is not allowed around here, and now I see why -- this
>>> string of posts just made coffee come out of my nose, which is totally
>>> unacceptable!  As soon as I figure out how, I'm banning all three of
>>> you.  And I'm double-banning Mac users, who generally seem to be having
>>> way too much fun.
>>>

>> I don't know where you get that idea that Mac users have way to much fun.
>>

> It's because Mac users NEVER have any problems!  So their world is
> always looking through rose colored glasses!
>
>> While our system is joy to use. In this world, its the world of PC's
>> and Bill Gates. And the world for Mac's is not truly hospitable. There
>> is a whole lot we have to put up with or endure.
>>
>> That said, it does toughen our resolve for the most part.
>>

> I think they co-exist pretty well now days.
>
> Terry R.
No Mac Users do have problems, maybe not to the scale of PC folk. But we
still have them.

Biggest problem is not as much software available. An much of what is,
if there is a PC version, the Mac version has lack of features, that are
in the PC version.

For example in Acrobat inserting or having inserted a URL (hot Link)
already active and colored appropriately is like falling of a log on PC
version while in Mac version though can be done there are several steps
to do and its pain in the arse to accomplish. They claim that the word
documents normal converted to PDF have special hooks built in. there is
nothing of the sort. They are just to lazy to provide the few lines of
code to the Mac design unit to put in.

In the case of things such as Active-X on PC that's actually a blessing
in disguise.

Nope I've never seen a pair of Rose colored glasses, let alone worn any.

Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

> »Q« wrote:
>> In <news:[hidden email]>,
>> squaredancer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On 12.03.2009 04:04, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused »Q« to
>>> generate the following:? :

>>> for once, I agree with you, >Q< - I certainly wouldn't accept coffee
>>> from out your nose....
>>>
>>> Did you IMMEDIATELY up-turn your keyboard - just in case the little
>>> chinaman in there gets drowned ???
>>
>> Heh, I managed to get my hand between my face and the keyboard. I did
>> have to change shirts, though.

>>> may I plead leniancy for Mac-users?? They don't have much to laugh
>>> about, do they!
>>
>> No leniency! You're just soft on them because you know Ilias uses a
>> Mac. ;)
>>

> That'll be the day!

Actually, I think he does have a Mac.  I'm not sure that he uses it full
time.

Lee

Re: Compacting

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:36:30 PM, and on a
whim, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. pounded out on the keyboard:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:59:38 AM, and on a
>> whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Coffee is nothing.  Just wait until you've had Coke [as in Cola], or
>>> Pepsi, or Root Beer come pouring out. Nothing like a good tingling
>>> feeling.
>>>
>> Not counting the sticky sugar makes the keyboards almost useless after
>> it dries.
>>

>> Terry R.
>
> If its a keyboard valuable enough to try saving and you have access to
> FreonTF do the following:
>
> immediately one the keyboard case after unplugged from computer.
>
> fix a bucket of water and put a little dish detergent.  The dunk circuit
> board in that and let stay about an Hour.
>
> Then take out and dry with hair dryer. Next pour or brush on the
> FreonTF, or find a container large enough to hold the circuit board.
>
> place in container and pour FreonTF over until covered let sit another
> 1/2 hour.
>
> now remove and blow off excess moisture with compressed air.
>
> Now let air dry out side in bright sun for at least 8 hours.
>
> I've rescued a VCR  or two from too much WD-40 lubricant some one tried
> to use to fixed their own VCR. Also a circuit board or two that had soft
> drink spilled on it.

After one of our children dumped soda on my expensive wireless keyboard
a few years ago, I now only buy inexpensive ones that feel responsive.
Now you can get a nice wired keyboard for $15, and a wireless combo for
$20.  The wireless combo I had that got ruined was about $150 at the
time.  It's still sitting in the closet....  I went back to wired as I
got tired of replacing batteries, and rechargeable ones didn't help.

Terry R.

Re: Compacting

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:52:16 PM, and on a
whim, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. pounded out on the keyboard:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:16:34 AM, and on a
>> whim, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> I don't know where you get that idea that Mac users have way to much fun.
>>>
>> It's because Mac users NEVER have any problems!  So their world is
>> always looking through rose colored glasses!
>>
>>> While our system is joy to use. In this world, its the world of PC's
>>> and Bill Gates. And the world for Mac's is not truly hospitable. There
>>> is a whole lot we have to put up with or endure.
>>>
>>> That said, it does toughen our resolve for the most part.
>>>
>> I think they co-exist pretty well now days.
>>
>> Terry R.
> No Mac Users do have problems, maybe not to the scale of PC folk. But we
> still have them.

Trust me, I know.  I work on them.  But many Mac users won't be honest
sometimes. ;-)

> Biggest problem is not as much software available. An much of what is,
> if there is a PC version, the Mac version has lack of features, that are
> in the PC version.

That's why I use a PC.  What I need and use isn't available for Macs and
won't run on Linux.

> For example in Acrobat inserting or having inserted a URL (hot Link)
> already active and colored appropriately is like falling of a log on PC
> version while in Mac version though can be done there are several steps
> to do and its pain in the arse to accomplish. They claim that the word
> documents normal converted to PDF have special hooks built in. there is
> nothing of the sort. They are just to lazy to provide the few lines of
> code to the Mac design unit to put in.
>
> In the case of things such as Active-X on PC that's actually a blessing
> in disguise.

Active-X is going away.  IE8 will change a lot.

> Nope I've never seen a pair of Rose colored glasses, let alone worn any.

Try it, you'll like it.

Terry R.

Re: Compacting

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
"Terry R." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After one of our children dumped soda on my expensive wireless
> keyboard a few years ago, I now only buy inexpensive ones that feel
> responsive. Now you can get a nice wired keyboard for $15, and a
> wireless combo for $20.

I stick with cheap ones, too.  My current favorite is the basic
Logitech wired one[1].  They list it at 15 USD, but there are online
retailers selling it for 8 or 9.  It's quiet and has good tactile
response.

[1]
<http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/business/products/keyboards/devices/582>

--
»Q«                                                              /"\
                                      ASCII Ribbon Campaign      \ /

Re: Compacting

Leonidas Jones-2
Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:52:16 PM, and on a
> whim, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>> The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:16:34 AM, and on a
>>> whim, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> It's because Mac users NEVER have any problems! So their world is
>>> always looking through rose colored glasses!

>>> I think they co-exist pretty well now days.
>>>
>>> Terry R.
>> No Mac Users do have problems, maybe not to the scale of PC folk. But
>> we still have them.
>>

> Trust me, I know. I work on them. But many Mac users won't be honest
> sometimes. ;-)
>
>> Biggest problem is not as much software available. An much of what is,
>> if there is a PC version, the Mac version has lack of features, that
>> are in the PC version.
>>

> That's why I use a PC. What I need and use isn't available for Macs and
> won't run on Linux.
>
>> For example in Acrobat inserting or having inserted a URL (hot Link)
>> already active and colored appropriately is like falling of a log on
>> PC version while in Mac version though can be done there are several
>> steps to do and its pain in the arse to accomplish. They claim that
>> the word documents normal converted to PDF have special hooks built
>> in. there is nothing of the sort. They are just to lazy to provide the
>> few lines of code to the Mac design unit to put in.
>>
>> In the case of things such as Active-X on PC that's actually a
>> blessing in disguise.
>>

> Active-X is going away. IE8 will change a lot.
>
>> Nope I've never seen a pair of Rose colored glasses, let alone worn any.
>>

> Try it, you'll like it.
>
> Terry R.

I have to disagree about the software issue.  There are loads of
applications for Macs. The only, only thing I still have to use Widows
for is to open Publisher files.  Beyond that, I would not need to boot
Windows at all.

Then again, you can run WIndows on a Mac.  Being Cheap, I havge
installed Q (not »Q« ) a Mac port of Qemu.  I can run Win 2K, Win ME,
Ubuntu, Puppy, all from my Mac, in an emulator.

Still, except to play around, the only reason I open it is to open a pub
file.

Lee

Re: Compacting

clay-14
Terry R. wrote:

> After one of our children dumped soda on my expensive wireless keyboard
> a few years ago, I now only buy inexpensive ones that feel responsive.

Ditto on the inexpensive ones. Kensington makes a compact one, nice feel
and all the keys. I have three on my desk so small is nice.

> Now you can get a nice wired keyboard for $15, and a wireless combo for
> $20.  The wireless combo I had that got ruined was about $150 at the
> time.  It's still sitting in the closet....

I've never owned a wireless one. Experimented on mom. Built her first,
very own computer with an inexpensive Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse.
Have to say, battery life was better than I expected. Several months
before they need charging.
Soon as one of the Kensington's die, I'm going to try wireless.

I went back to wired as I
> got tired of replacing batteries, and rechargeable ones didn't help.

Rechargables have come a long way. They charge faster and run longer.
When NiMH first came out they were 750-800mAh. Now they are 2500mAh.
That's over three times the charge life.
The trick to them is having everything using rechargables so you can
swap out the dead ones with another, less used battery powered device
while they charge.
Or, have a set of alkalines in a drawer to swap out while they charge.
Alkalines keep forever.
NiMH don't hold a charge worth a darn on the shelf. I can charge a brand
new set of four, put two in the remote and two in a drawer. When the
ones in the remote die (months later), the ones in the drawer are dead
too. (grab two out of a mini maglite while they recharge...)
Have AA to C adapters so I can use the 2500mAh NiMH AA's in My C cell
Maglites. (Don't be fooled by the C and D size rechargables. Look at the
mAh rating. 2500? They're just AA's in a bigger wrapper.)
Only thing I buy Alkalines for anymore are the smoke detectors.

http://batteryuniversity.com/index.htm
12345 ... 12