Re: Accesskey considerations

Axel Hecht
Cédric Corazza wrote:

> Hi (again),
> I didn't know where to post this, but as it also involves the
> localization process, it's not a so bad place ;) .
> As far as I can see, developers and localizers have big troubles with
> accesskeys : just make a query with 'bad' or 'wrong' "accesskey"...
> Sometimes we are almost sure that there won't be accesskey conflicts and
> sometimes we are totally puzzled : the only way to check this is to
> launch a nightly build but we *cannot* test every case.
> Recent posts from MoCo and MoFo asked how they could spend money on some
> projects.
> I think hiring some people to give us (en-US and l10n teams) some easy
> way to know what accesskey is already used for a specific file would be
> a *great* improvement.
> For instance, we got complains (fr locale) because we used "d" as an
> accesskey for the Help Menu (in French Ai_d_e)--ALT+D. But this was also
> a shortcut to put the focus on the location bar !!!! This shouldn't be :
> ALT+... is reserved for accesskey AFAIK. Anyway, the most difficult
> thing are context menus...

I guess we want input on this on a more general level, cross-posting to
.quality and .platform.

I think this is most prominently a QA tool question, but that may be
just me.

Axel

Re: Accesskey considerations

Aaron Leventhal-3
Here are the accesskey guidelines:
http://www.mozilla.org/access/keyboard/accesskey

Besides avoiding duplicates there are other hints in that doc, such as
avoiding letters with descenders like g, q, etc. and 1 pixel wide
letters like i and l

- Aaron