Re: 7 new messages in 3 topics - digest

timeless-3
> Date: Sat 27 May 2006 23:08
> From: "Jon Smirl"
>
> Has moving to a different source code control model been discussed?

There's really no need for this, despot + cvs are fully capable of
doing almost everything we need. minus the one minor thing that
justdave mentioned which he'll work to fix shortly. with the advantage
of actually assigning useful blame and comments for changes instead of
things like "landing foo's submission."

moving to a system with more roadblocks is really not something we
need or that i would hope we would want.

not having branches in a centralized place means it's very hard to
find out about work other people are doing. with bonsai i can easily
find out about work other people are doing on branches. and if the
work interests me, i can contact the developers and ask them questions
about it (if their checkin comments don't give me enough hints, which
in general they should...).

Re: 7 new messages in 3 topics - digest

Christian Biesinger
timeless wrote:
> not having branches in a centralized place means it's very hard to
> find out about work other people are doing. with bonsai i can easily
> find out about work other people are doing on branches. and if the
> work interests me, i can contact the developers and ask them questions
> about it (if their checkin comments don't give me enough hints, which
> in general they should...).

I'm also in favour of a distributed system (although I don't think that
having a centralized person pull changes is the right way (because it
doesn't scale), I prefer the cairo way, where people push to the central
tree).

That people have their own branches doesn't have to mean that you can't
find out about them. The way cairo does it people have space on the
project's git server and can push their local branches there - see
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/. The ability to have a local repository
to which you can commit, and very fast branches, are something that's
really useful to have.

Re: version control systems

fantasai
Christian Biesinger wrote:
> timeless wrote:
>
> I'm also in favour of a distributed system

I'm guessing another advantage of peer-to-peer would be that more than
one person can easily work together on a single bugfix?

~fantasai