Re: 3.1a1 string & code freeze Tuesday, Jan 12 at 23:59 Pacific, perhaps

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3.1a1 string & code freeze Tuesday, Jan 12 at 23:59 Pacific, perhaps

Ludovic Hirlimann-3
On 12/01/10 08:29, Dan Mosedale wrote:
> [Mailed to various lists; followups directed at dev-apps-thunderbird]
>

It's not visible on the newsgroup yet :-(

> that it would end up being hard (impossible?) to ship 3.1a1 in any
> locales other than en-US (confirmation here would be appreciated).  My
> suspicion is that that wouldn't be a huge deal, given the relatively
> small amount of feature work that's gone into 3.1.  If people
> disagree, I'd be very interested in hearing what specific negative
> consequences seem likely.

I think we should more likely look at the string changes more than the
feature change, when we are thinking about that kind of issues.

> Another thing that I don't have a good feel for is how tied up QA
> folks are with 3.0.1 stuff.  QA folks, how likely do you think you'd
> be to have sufficient bandwidth to feel good about handing off 3.1a1
> to build on Tuesday, January 19th (one week from tomorrow)?  Worth
> keeping in mind is that metrics show that, today, we had 310 active
> daily users of 3.1 (not that I really know what to compare that to).
That's mainly going to depend on how the 3.0.1 release is. But looking
at it from now, it's looking good (I'm almost done Mac smoketesting and
so far so good). So we should be able to switch testing to 3.1a1. You'd
need to be able to compare the 310 active users with the 2k number we
had on nightlies prior to the 3.0 release. By the end of this week we
should encourage people to start switching from 3.0.xpre to using 3.1xxx.

Ludo

--
Ludovic Hirlimann MozillaMessaging QA lead
http://www.spreadthunderbird.com/aff/79/2



_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird

signature.asc (266 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3.1a1 string & code freeze Tuesday, Jan 12 at 23:59 Pacific, perhaps

Simon Paquet-2
On 12/01/10 08:29, Dan Mosedale wrote:
>> [Mailed to various lists; followups directed at dev-apps-thunderbird]
>
> It's not visible on the newsgroup yet :-(

Since it's not visible yet and I don't access the newsgroups via the
mailinglist route, I'm reposting my mail message here as well...


Dan Mosedale <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That said, I don't have yet have a good enough feel for whether
> that's the right thing to do.  In particular:
>
> As I understand it, we don't have a working l10n dashboard for
> comm-central+1.9.2 (sipaq, Standard8 or anyone else, do you have a
> feel for how much work it's likely to be for whom to make that
> happen?). Given that l10n freeze is currently scheduled for a week
> from today (Monday, January 18th), I assume that a somewhat likely
> outcome here is that it would end up being hard (impossible?) to
> ship 3.1a1 in any locales other than en-US (confirmation here would
> be appreciated). My suspicion is that that wouldn't be a huge deal,
> given the relatively small amount of feature work that's gone into
> 3.1.  If people disagree, I'd be very interested in hearing what
> specific negative consequences seem likely.

1. The amount of work that is necessary for l10n dashboard coverage
   shouldn't be larger than 15-30 minutes I presume. It basically
   depends on Axel's (Pike) availability and willingness to do this
   soon.

2. It's harder to release without the dashboard, but not impossible.
   We could still rely on the l10n tinderboxen to report the l10n
   status. There are some locales (e.g. lt, pl) that are green on
   their 1.9.2 tinderboxen and it would be a shame for them to miss
   this release.

Cya
Simon

--
Thunderbird/Calendar Localisation (L10n) Coordinator
Thunderbird l10n blog:       http://thunderbird-l10n.blogspot.com
Calendar website maintainer: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar
Calendar developer blog:     http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/calendar
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3.1a1 string & code freeze Tuesday, Jan 12 at 23:59 Pacific, perhaps

Mark Banner-2
On 12/01/2010 12:18, Simon Paquet wrote:

>> As I understand it, we don't have a working l10n dashboard for
>> comm-central+1.9.2 (sipaq, Standard8 or anyone else, do you have a
>> feel for how much work it's likely to be for whom to make that
>> happen?). Given that l10n freeze is currently scheduled for a week
>> from today (Monday, January 18th), I assume that a somewhat likely
>> outcome here is that it would end up being hard (impossible?) to
>> ship 3.1a1 in any locales other than en-US (confirmation here would
>> be appreciated). My suspicion is that that wouldn't be a huge deal,
>> given the relatively small amount of feature work that's gone into
>> 3.1. If people disagree, I'd be very interested in hearing what
>> specific negative consequences seem likely.
>
> 1. The amount of work that is necessary for l10n dashboard coverage
> shouldn't be larger than 15-30 minutes I presume. It basically
> depends on Axel's (Pike) availability and willingness to do this
> soon.

I'm not 100% sure about that, as iirc last time we were in this
situation of not having comm-central branched, Axel said that checking
out different versions of mozilla-* for one version of comm-central
isn't easily possible.

Standard8
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3.1a1 string & code freeze Tuesday, Jan 12 at 23:59 Pacific, perhaps

Simon Paquet-2
Mark Banner wrote on 12. Jan 2010:

>> 1. The amount of work that is necessary for l10n dashboard coverage
>> shouldn't be larger than 15-30 minutes I presume. It basically
>> depends on Axel's (Pike) availability and willingness to do this
>> soon.
>
> I'm not 100% sure about that, as iirc last time we were in this
> situation of not having comm-central branched, Axel said that checking
> out different versions of mozilla-* for one version of comm-central
> isn't easily possible.

Really? Isn't it so, that we just need different l10n.ini files?

Simon

--
Thunderbird/Calendar Localisation (L10n) Coordinator
Thunderbird l10n blog:       http://thunderbird-l10n.blogspot.com
Calendar website maintainer: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar
Calendar developer blog:     http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/calendar
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3.1a1 string & code freeze Tuesday, Jan 12 at 23:59 Pacific

Dan Mosedale-2
In reply to this post by Simon Paquet-2
On 1/12/10 4:18 AM, Simon Paquet wrote:
> 1. The amount of work that is necessary for l10n dashboard coverage
>   shouldn't be larger than 15-30 minutes I presume. It basically
>   depends on Axel's (Pike) availability and willingness to do this
>   soon.
OK, I'll touch base with Axel about this and get back to the list.
> 2. It's harder to release without the dashboard, but not impossible.
>   We could still rely on the l10n tinderboxen to report the l10n
>   status. There are some locales (e.g. lt, pl) that are green on
>   their 1.9.2 tinderboxen and it would be a shame for them to miss
>   this release.
Good to know; thanks.

I have yet to hear any argumentation that I shouldn't go ahead with the
plan of freezing Lanikai Alpha 1 at midnight tonight, so barring
anything unforeseen, I'll drive that plan forward.

Dan

_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3.1a1 string & code freeze Tuesday, Jan 12 at 23:59 Pacific, perhaps

Robert Kaiser
In reply to this post by Simon Paquet-2
Simon Paquet wrote:
> Mark Banner wrote on 12. Jan 2010:
>> I'm not 100% sure about that, as iirc last time we were in this
>> situation of not having comm-central branched, Axel said that checking
>> out different versions of mozilla-* for one version of comm-central
>> isn't easily possible.
>
> Really? Isn't it so, that we just need different l10n.ini files?

Nowadays, yes, we only need two l10n.ini files (or, say, an additional
l10n-1.9.2.ini) as Axel changed his infrastructure to allow that - for
both us and Fennec, back then.

Robert Kaiser
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird