Re: 1.5.0.3 Kick-off - today 11am PST

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1.5.0.3 Kick-off - today 11am PST

Brendan Eich
Tim Riley wrote:
> I posted email to drivers and a few other aliases earlier.  Brendan
> suggested I move this to the newsgroup.

I suggested mozilla.dev.planning, but cited some posts here, which threw
tim off (sorry).  Cross-posting with followup-to: set.

/be

>
> We need to get 1.5.0.3 going.  We should take a little time and consider
> how we do security/stability updates now that we have completed 1.5.0.1
> and almost completed 1.0.8 and 1.5.0.2.  I propose we use most of the
> 11am Release Team meeting on Wednesday 3/15/06 to kick-off 1.5.0.3.
>
> Agenda:
>
> * Some key issues to consider:
>     o The number of bugs is increasing dramatically each release
>     o Should we have official release candidates for security releases?
>     o How do we more reliably hit the code freeze date?
>     o How do we deal with the increasing risk of last minute
>       critical security bugs
>     o How do we free up dveditz to do reviews (or at least module
>       owner approvals) for security manager changes on trunk? [bz]
>
> * Beyond issues we should talk about:
>     o Rough schedule and milestones for 1.5.0.3
>     o Revisit the criteria for bugs from 1.5.0.1
>
> Feel free to join us. Dial-in:
>     Toll-free Number:          866-432-7917
>     International Number:    334-309-0297
>
> Or see: http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox:1.5.0.3:Release_Team_Notes
_______________________________________________
dev-planning mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-planning
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1.5.0.3 Kick-off - today 11am PST

Darin Fisher-2
Darn, I would have loved to attend this meeting.  For the next
meeting, can you give more advanced notice? :-)

-Darin


On 3/15/06, Tim Riley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I posted email to drivers and a few other aliases earlier.  Brendan
> suggested I move this to the newsgroup.
>
> We need to get 1.5.0.3 going.  We should take a little time and consider
> how we do security/stability updates now that we have completed 1.5.0.1
> and almost completed 1.0.8 and 1.5.0.2.  I propose we use most of the
> 11am Release Team meeting on Wednesday 3/15/06 to kick-off 1.5.0.3.
>
> Agenda:
>
> * Some key issues to consider:
>      o The number of bugs is increasing dramatically each release
>      o Should we have official release candidates for security releases?
>      o How do we more reliably hit the code freeze date?
>      o How do we deal with the increasing risk of last minute
>        critical security bugs
>      o How do we free up dveditz to do reviews (or at least module
>        owner approvals) for security manager changes on trunk? [bz]
>
> * Beyond issues we should talk about:
>      o Rough schedule and milestones for 1.5.0.3
>      o Revisit the criteria for bugs from 1.5.0.1
>
> Feel free to join us. Dial-in:
>      Toll-free Number:          866-432-7917
>      International Number:    334-309-0297
>
> Or see: http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox:1.5.0.3:Release_Team_Notes
> _______________________________________________
> dev-general mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-general
>
_______________________________________________
dev-planning mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-planning
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1.5.0.3 Kick-off - today 11am PST

Robert Kaiser
In reply to this post by Brendan Eich
Brendan Eich schrieb:
>> We need to get 1.5.0.3 going.  We should take a little time and
>> consider how we do security/stability updates now that we have
>> completed 1.5.0.1 and almost completed 1.0.8 and 1.5.0.2.  I propose
>> we use most of the 11am Release Team meeting on Wednesday 3/15/06 to
>> kick-off 1.5.0.3.

Thanks for the post. It would be great if you'd give us time to wrap up
a SeaMonkey 1.0.1 security release based on Gecko 1.8.0.2 - that
basically means it would be nice if you could hold back checkins to
shared code until we have tagged that one.
The bigger problem there is that we still have an open blocker in
SeaMonkey-specific code
(<https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=329959>), which is in the
review phase though. Once that is fixed, we'll wrap up our security release.

On the other hand, if checkins are really low-risk, it probably
shouldn't matter too much which state of the 1.8.0 tree we're shipping
as SeaMonkey 1.0.1 (as long as our known security problems are fixed).

BTW, as a side note, we're not planning on shipping a release based on
1.8.1alpha1, so you don't have to care about us releases-wise over there.

Robert Kaiser
_______________________________________________
dev-planning mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-planning
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1.5.0.3 Kick-off - today 11am PST

L. David Baron
On Wednesday 2006-03-15 22:53 +0100, Robert Kaiser wrote:
> Thanks for the post. It would be great if you'd give us time to wrap up
> a SeaMonkey 1.0.1 security release based on Gecko 1.8.0.2 - that
> basically means it would be nice if you could hold back checkins to
> shared code until we have tagged that one.

Are you asking for a day, a week, or a month?  A day is reasonable, a
month is not, and I'm not sure about a week (although I tend to think
it's not, since the best way to avoid everything being a last-minute
rush is to start sooner).

> On the other hand, if checkins are really low-risk, it probably
> shouldn't matter too much which state of the 1.8.0 tree we're shipping
> as SeaMonkey 1.0.1 (as long as our known security problems are fixed).

You can also tag your release based on the FIREFOX_1_5_0_2_RELEASE tag
for the shared directories and based on the branch at a later date for
the SeaMonkey-only directories.

-David

--
L. David Baron                                <URL: http://dbaron.org/ >
           Technical Lead, Layout & CSS, Mozilla Corporation

_______________________________________________
dev-planning mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-planning

attachment0 (198 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1.5.0.3 Kick-off - today 11am PST

Tim Riley-3
In reply to this post by Brendan Eich
Darin Fisher wrote:
> Darn, I would have loved to attend this meeting.  For the next
> meeting, can you give more advanced notice? :-)
>
> -Darin
>
>>
I apologize for the short notice.  In the past we didn't have kick-offs.
  So this is some improvement but still a ways to go.

This was a fairly short meeting (1.25 hrs) which is not much time given
all the issues.  I will summarize the discussion and post.  I see this
as an on-going discussion rather then a one-time meeting.  So there will
be more opportunities to refine the activities for the release.
_______________________________________________
dev-planning mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-planning
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1.5.0.3 Kick-off - today 11am PST

Robert Kaiser
In reply to this post by Robert Kaiser
L. David Baron schrieb:

> On Wednesday 2006-03-15 22:53 +0100, Robert Kaiser wrote:
>> Thanks for the post. It would be great if you'd give us time to wrap up
>> a SeaMonkey 1.0.1 security release based on Gecko 1.8.0.2 - that
>> basically means it would be nice if you could hold back checkins to
>> shared code until we have tagged that one.
>
> Are you asking for a day, a week, or a month?  A day is reasonable, a
> month is not, and I'm not sure about a week (although I tend to think
> it's not, since the best way to avoid everything being a last-minute
> rush is to start sooner).

Well, I'm not even sure when it's planned to open the tree again. It
would certainly help to know when that's planned, and if we're free to
check in the 1.0.1 version bump and the changes for said security bug
into SeaMonkey-only code of the 1.8.0 branch even if the tree is closed
currently for the 1.8.0.2 release.
Should I poke [hidden email] for that, or can someone here give me/us that
permission and/or planned opening date here?

>> On the other hand, if checkins are really low-risk, it probably
>> shouldn't matter too much which state of the 1.8.0 tree we're shipping
>> as SeaMonkey 1.0.1 (as long as our known security problems are fixed).
>
> You can also tag your release based on the FIREFOX_1_5_0_2_RELEASE tag
> for the shared directories and based on the branch at a later date for
> the SeaMonkey-only directories.

True, that's another possibilty. We'd just need to set the build
machines / tinderboxen to use the real release tag for the builds. But
that would be no big deal, as they have to be taken off the usual
nightly build business anyways to set the correct release directories
for the stub installers.

Robert Kaiser
_______________________________________________
dev-planning mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-planning
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1.5.0.3 Kick-off - today 11am PST

Tim Riley-3
In reply to this post by Robert Kaiser
Robert Kaiser wrote:

>
> Thanks for the post. It would be great if you'd give us time to wrap up
> a SeaMonkey 1.0.1 security release based on Gecko 1.8.0.2 - that
> basically means it would be nice if you could hold back checkins to
> shared code until we have tagged that one.
> The bigger problem there is that we still have an open blocker in
> SeaMonkey-specific code
> (<https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=329959>), which is in the
> review phase though. Once that is fixed, we'll wrap up our security
> release.
>
> On the other hand, if checkins are really low-risk, it probably
> shouldn't matter too much which state of the 1.8.0 tree we're shipping
> as SeaMonkey 1.0.1 (as long as our known security problems are fixed).
>
> BTW, as a side note, we're not planning on shipping a release based on
> 1.8.1alpha1, so you don't have to care about us releases-wise over there.
>
> Robert Kaiser

NP.

We want to start check-ins for 1.5.0.3 ASAP as there are ~70 in the
approval queue.  At the same time, we want to make sure that 1.5.0.2 is
  put to bed and not have to crack open 1.5.0.2 after things have landed
for 1.5.0.3.  I'll talk to the release team about picking a target date
for opening up for checkins for 1.5.0.3

Thanks for the heads up about 1.8.1alpha1.

--Tim
_______________________________________________
dev-planning mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-planning
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1.5.0.3 Kick-off - today 11am PST

Robert Kaiser
In reply to this post by Robert Kaiser
Robert Kaiser schrieb:
> Well, I'm not even sure when it's planned to open the tree again. It
> would certainly help to know when that's planned, and if we're free to
> check in the 1.0.1 version bump and the changes for said security bug
> into SeaMonkey-only code of the 1.8.0 branch even if the tree is closed
> currently for the 1.8.0.2 release.

Actually, IanN has just informed me that another small SeaMonkey-only
change we want to take is also not checked in yet:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=330168

Robert Kaiser
_______________________________________________
dev-planning mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-planning
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1.5.0.3 Kick-off - today 11am PST

Dan Veditz
In reply to this post by Robert Kaiser
L. David Baron wrote:
> You can also tag your release based on the FIREFOX_1_5_0_2_RELEASE tag

That won't exist until we actually ship, but we should get a
MOZILLA_1_8_0_2_RC1 tag relatively soon. There isn't going to be a
formal release candidate, that's just a handy "not released yet" tag to
use. If all goes according to plan the _RELEASE tag would be identical.
_______________________________________________
dev-planning mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-planning
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1.5.0.3 Kick-off - today 11am PST

Dan Veditz
In reply to this post by Robert Kaiser
Robert Kaiser wrote:
> Well, I'm not even sure when it's planned to open the tree again. It
> would certainly help to know when that's planned, and if we're free to
> check in the 1.0.1 version bump and the changes for said security bug
> into SeaMonkey-only code of the 1.8.0 branch even if the tree is closed
> currently for the 1.8.0.2 release.
> Should I poke [hidden email] for that, or can someone here give me/us that
> permission and/or planned opening date here?

Drivers poked, seamonkey-council cc'd. I suspect we'll want to open the
tree for 1.8.0.3 next week so you'll want to get in soon. The tree is
currently closed for sanity/tagging so we'll need to coordinate how best
to get you in. I don't see a reason to keep any seamonkey-only stuff
out, but we might want to look patches over as a paranoid double-check.

Best for now might be to request approval1.8.0.2? on patches so we can
query the things that need to go in before the tree re-opens to 1.8.0.3 dev.

I guess a lot depends on what works best for the tagging. Reed?
_______________________________________________
dev-planning mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-planning
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1.5.0.3 Kick-off - today 11am PST

J. Paul Reed
Dan Veditz wrote:

> Best for now might be to request approval1.8.0.2? on patches so we can
> query the things that need to go in before the tree re-opens to 1.8.0.3 dev.
>
> I guess a lot depends on what works best for the tagging. Reed?

If we've got 1.5.0.2 build IDs in hand for verification, I'll start the
tagging process for 1_5_0_2_RC1 this evening.

Later,
preed
--
J. Paul Reed
Build/Release Engineer - The Mozilla Corporation
smtp://[hidden email]
irc://irc.mozilla.org/preed
pots://650.903.0800/x256
_______________________________________________
dev-planning mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-planning