Ranges

Re: Keeping proposals productive and increasing mailing list efficiency

Marky Mark
Alternative mailing list solutions allow the following benefits, which to the best of my knowledge can not be done with the current format:

* Pinned threads (to ensure that users can easily see guidelines before posting new threads)
* Unsubscribing from threads quickly via email
* Markdown in editors (WYSIWYG) to easily write code snippets
* Quick links to the browser based version of a thread
* Comment editing (when mistakes happen)
* Selective topic subscriptions

Also, to clear things up a bit, having the email-only format is still supported with the mailing list alternatives. So dont see any conflict there.

Additionally, I realize there are some manual workarounds like searching the archives (e.g. google searching within esdiscuss site), which is common for people who are more familiar with this list, but it may be advantageous to think about ways to make things easier to find for less-involved people who's main goal is to simply open a thread and just get their question answered or shop an idea they just came up with. These are the people that, without realizing it, are opening threads that have already been discussed or that dont have enough information to facilitate a healthy discussion.

Switching to a more feature-rich mailing list is just one proposed way to help (there may be others). But the point is to bring an outside perspective and hopefully shed a little light on a need to increase efficiency and productiveness for all throughout the mailing list. If that is not a hard focus, which based on these comments doesnt seem to be, I guess there is no more discussion to be had. I just hope something is done eventually to stop you all from having to repeat your awesome replies to threads over and over again every few months. 😜

Thanks for reading.

On Wed, Jul 4, 2018, 12:43 AM Jordan Harband <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ecma data - including the contents of this list - needs to live for decades in ecma's archives. Very few alternatives have the necessary staying power.

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 6:05 PM, Isiah Meadows <[hidden email]> wrote:
First, I found this resource that does clarify a *few* things, but it
doesn't go over details.

- https://github.com/tc39/ecma262/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#new-feature-proposals

Second, if you feel strongly enough, feel free to ping one of the
active committee members either through email or on #tc39 (on Freenode
IRC) to see about getting a little more clarification to the process.

Oh, and side note: one plus to having it email-only is that it's
easier to respond on-the-fly on mobile, and that's not quite so easy
when it's all on some platform thingy. (The list also isn't quite
active enough to merit the need for sorting and organization beyond
what https://esdiscuss.org/ provides.)

-----

Isiah Meadows
[hidden email]
www.isiahmeadows.com

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 3:19 PM, Mark <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yeah I looked at those but they are rather outdated. A lot of the pushback
> from moving to other platforms (ie. lack of mailing list features, forced
> browser usage, etc) are no longer the case and therefore dont really help
> explain why this list has avoided doing it for so long now.
>
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2018, 3:12 PM Jerry Schulteis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> One way to find related conversations is to add site:esdiscuss.org to the
>> search terms.
>> E.g. "site:esdiscuss.org mailing list alternative":

>> https://esdiscuss.org/topic/move-es-discuss-to-discuss-webplatform-org
>>
>> Perhaps such a hint, as well as guidelines for self-vetting proposals
>> before submitting, should appear in the list welcome message or the
>> information page.
>>

>> On Monday, July 2, 2018, 12:22:14 PM CDT, Mark <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> previous related conversations are not being considered because they are
>> not prominent or easily found- they are kept in an archive that is totally
>> separate from the email clients being used to facilitate these mailing list
>> discussions. This means it is not likely that a person making a proposal,
>> who is new to this mailing list format (which is mostly the case with new
>> proposals), will even see the archives.
>>
>> Another point: there are plenty of alternative solutions out there that
>> would make this list much more usable and efficient (discourse, slack,
>> GitHub etc), which have wide support and are reliable. Is there a reason why
>> this list hasn’t embraced any of these newer technologies? Although not
>> necessary, they offer strong feature sets that will make it quite easy to
>> provide solutions to the above points.

Re: Ranges

Cyril Auburtin
I really like this possible new syntax for ranges:

```js
[2:9] // [2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9]
[1, 2, 4:7, 9] // [1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9]
[1:6:2] // [1, 3, 5]
```

Would someone in TC39 be up to champion this?