RE: Group security question

Weiner, Burt

Resending hoping someone will respond.

From: Weiner, Burt
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 4:43 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Group security question

Our 2.18 installation has makeproductgroups ON and useentrygroupdefault ON.  What happens to the product/group relationships if I rename a product?  We have approx 50 products with a corresponding group for each product.  Can I safely delete the groups?  I’ve read the BZ doc re: Groups and Group Security but I’m still confused.  Anyone have a good explanation for group security?

Needed:  BZ for Dummies!

BW

Burt Weiner

Manager, Quality Assurance

Voice Signal Technologies

150 Presidential Way

Woburn, MA 01801

Voice: 781.970.5234

Mobile: 978.828.7606

www.voicesignal.com

RE: Group security question

Christopher Hicks
On Wed, 18 May 2005, Weiner, Burt wrote:
> Our 2.18 installation has makeproductgroups ON and useentrygroupdefault ON.
> What happens to the product/group relationships if I rename a product?

I'm not sure.

> We have approx 50 products with a corresponding group for each product.
> Can I safely delete the groups?

I doubt it.

--
</chris>

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

RE: Group security question

Max Kanat-Alexander
On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 16:23 -0400, Weiner, Burt wrote:
> Our 2.18 installation has makeproductgroups ON and
> useentrygroupdefault ON.  What happens to the product/group
> relationships if I rename a product?

        The product will stay in the group, but the group's name will not
change.

>  We have approx 50 products with a corresponding group for each
> product.  Can I safely delete the groups?

        Yes, provided that there aren't any bugs in the groups. Bugzilla will
warn you if you try to do something dangerous, by telling you either
that you can't do it, or that you're about to delete some bugs.

> I’ve read the BZ doc re: Groups and Group Security but I’m still
> confused.  Anyone have a good explanation for group security?

        The descriptions at the bottom of the product-security page for what
the various group settings mean explain at least that part of it.

        Generally, groups mean "if a bug is in this group, only the people in
this group can see the bug."

        -Max
--
http://www.everythingsolved.com/
Everything Solved: Experts at Bugzilla... and everything else, too.