Questions from a junior programmer

syho0426
I am a junior programmer, and want to improve my programming skills. I am thinking to spend time on Mozilla OSS projects. But there are quite a lot - Bugzilla, Seahorse, Thunderbird, Firefox.

I am a beginner. Which project is the easiest for me? for instance, which project has the easiest-to-learn structure, very tiny code modularization? which project has the fewest lines of code?

Thank you very much.
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>

Re: Questions from a junior programmer

Frédéric Buclin
Le 12. 03. 13 04:13, [hidden email] a écrit :
> I am a beginner. Which project is the easiest for me? for instance,
> which project has the easiest-to-learn structure, very tiny code
> modularization? which project has the fewest lines of code?

It really depends on the languages you are familiar with. Bugzilla uses
Perl, Firefox and Thunderbird use C/C++/JS/....

I'm not sure that working on a project you know nothing about is really
useful. If you have no interest in bug tracking systems, don't work on
Bugzilla; if you have no interest in email clients, don't work on
Thunderbird, etc... I don't think you can improve your programming
skills without some minimal interest to the project you are
contributing. So besides the languages you are familiar with, your 2nd
question should be: what are you interested in? Web browsers, email
clients, bug tracking systems?

LpSolit
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>

Re: Questions from a junior programmer

Mark Côté
On 2013-03-12 7:44 AM, Frédéric Buclin wrote:

> Le 12. 03. 13 04:13, [hidden email] a écrit :
>> I am a beginner. Which project is the easiest for me? for instance,
>> which project has the easiest-to-learn structure, very tiny code
>> modularization? which project has the fewest lines of code?
> It really depends on the languages you are familiar with. Bugzilla uses
> Perl, Firefox and Thunderbird use C/C++/JS/....
>
> I'm not sure that working on a project you know nothing about is really
> useful. If you have no interest in bug tracking systems, don't work on
> Bugzilla; if you have no interest in email clients, don't work on
> Thunderbird, etc... I don't think you can improve your programming
> skills without some minimal interest to the project you are
> contributing. So besides the languages you are familiar with, your 2nd
> question should be: what are you interested in? Web browsers, email
> clients, bug tracking systems?
There are a variety of smaller projects too, within Web Dev, Automation
& Tools, and other groups.  You can use the Bugs Ahoy tool
(http://www.joshmatthews.net/bugsahoy/) to see what's out there in
whatever languages and areas you are interested in.

Mark

-