Questions for docs, part 2

Gervase Markham
* Our install docs currently include a large and rather rambling section
titled "UNIX (non-root) Installation Notes". It tells you how to build
your own Apache and MySQL from scratch and run them on non-standard ports.

In these days of open source virtualization software, with cheap VMs
available everywhere, does anyone still install Bugzilla on a system
where they don't have root? Do we need to keep this information? Unless
someone argues for it, I'm going to assume No.

Gerv
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>

Re: Questions for docs, part 2

glob
Gervase Markham wrote:
* Our install docs currently include a large and rather rambling section
titled "UNIX (non-root) Installation Notes". It tells you how to build
your own Apache and MySQL from scratch and run them on non-standard ports.

In these days of open source virtualization software, with cheap VMs
available everywhere, does anyone still install Bugzilla on a system
where they don't have root? Do we need to keep this information? Unless
someone argues for it, I'm going to assume No.
i agree that this section is no longer relevant and should be removed.

byron jones - :glob - bugzilla.mozilla.org team -

Re: Questions for docs, part 2

Jochen Wiedmann

I do have
the occasional
who requests to run Bugzilla in an Apache vhost environments w/o root permissions.I'd beg to keep that stuff. How about a section "Unmaintained" in the docs?

On Sep 10, 2014 3:50 PM, "Gervase Markham" <[hidden email]> wrote:
* Our install docs currently include a large and rather rambling section
titled "UNIX (non-root) Installation Notes". It tells you how to build
your own Apache and MySQL from scratch and run them on non-standard ports.

In these days of open source virtualization software, with cheap VMs
available everywhere, does anyone still install Bugzilla on a system
where they don't have root? Do we need to keep this information? Unless
someone argues for it, I'm going to assume No.

Gerv
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=jochen.wiedmann@...>

Re: Questions for docs, part 2

Gervase Markham
On 11/09/14 09:42, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> I do have
> the occasional
> who requests to run Bugzilla in an Apache vhost environments w/o root
> permissions.

Do you read that section of the docs when you do so? Is it actually useful?

Are you interested in maintaining it to an appropriate standard? ;-)

> I'd beg to keep that stuff. How about a section "Unmaintained"
> in the docs?

I'd prefer the information to be transferred to a wiki page - just as
I'm transferring in the other direction information people are actually
commonly interested in. I don't want any part of our official docs to be
unmaintained if at all possible.

Gerv

-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>

Re: Questions for docs, part 2

Jochen Wiedmann

If so, just leave a pointer to the Wiki page, and everything should be fine.

On Sep 11, 2014 10:55 AM, "Gervase Markham" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11/09/14 09:42, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> I do have
> the occasional
> who requests to run Bugzilla in an Apache vhost environments w/o root
> permissions.

Do you read that section of the docs when you do so? Is it actually useful?

Are you interested in maintaining it to an appropriate standard? ;-)

> I'd beg to keep that stuff. How about a section "Unmaintained"
> in the docs?

I'd prefer the information to be transferred to a wiki page - just as
I'm transferring in the other direction information people are actually
commonly interested in. I don't want any part of our official docs to be
unmaintained if at all possible.

Gerv

-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=jochen.wiedmann@...>

Re: Questions for docs, part 2

Roman Pszonka
On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Gervase Markham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In these days of open source virtualization software, with cheap VMs
> available everywhere, does anyone still install Bugzilla on a system
> where they don't have root?

Yes. Using it myself this way on a hosting from external company - no
root available there.

Cheers,
--
Roman Pszonka