Question about TB's IDLE support

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Question about TB's IDLE support

tanstaafl-2
I sent this question to the regular support list and got no response, so
I'm trying again here...

Ok, I encountered the moving (and modified descriptive text) of the
Preference for enabling/disabling IDLE support in TB, and after creating
bug 1313365 to change the descriptive text back to including the actual
word IDLE:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1313365

I was wondering about something...

I have googled and read things online that IDLE only works on the
currently selected folder.

My question is:

When IDLE support is enabled, will TB always keep an IDLE connection
open for the Inbox, regardless of what folder is currently selected?

I did find the hidden mail.server.default.check_all_folders_for_new
pref, but personally I don't want it to work on all folders, only:

        Inbox: always
Other folders: if individually enabled in the folder properties

Is this the way it works (or at least supposed to work) in TB?

Comments/enlightenment welcome...
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Question about TB's IDLE support

Wayne Mery
On 11/15/2016 9:42 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:

> I sent this question to the regular support list and got no response, so
> I'm trying again here...
>
> Ok, I encountered the moving (and modified descriptive text) of the
> Preference for enabling/disabling IDLE support in TB, and after creating
> bug 1313365 to change the descriptive text back to including the actual
> word IDLE:
>
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1313365
>
> I was wondering about something...
>
> I have googled and read things online that IDLE only works on the
> currently selected folder.

Please supply those references, so they can be evaluated.

> My question is:
>
> When IDLE support is enabled, will TB always keep an IDLE connection
> open for the Inbox, regardless of what folder is currently selected?

IDLE is active on an account basis.  So there is not an IDLE connection
on specific folders.  Perhaps you are confusing this with cached
connection?  (IIRC Inbox has a dedicated open cache connection, unless
cached connections=1).

> I did find the hidden mail.server.default.check_all_folders_for_new
> pref, but personally I don't want it to work on all folders, only:
>
>         Inbox: always
> Other folders: if individually enabled in the folder properties

You shouldn't need mail.server.default.check_all_foldersfor_new (which
can be a performance hog BTW). Nor should you need to set individual
folders to check for new messages.

> Is this the way it works (or at least supposed to work) in TB?
>
> Comments/enlightenment welcome...
>

_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Question about TB's IDLE support

tanstaafl-2
On 11/15/2016 11:00 AM, Wayne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 11/15/2016 9:42 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> I have googled and read things online that IDLE only works on the
>> currently selected folder.

> Please supply those references, so they can be evaluated.

Well, here is one:

https://razor.occams.info/blog/2014/08/09/how-bad-is-imap-idle/

Specifically, the mention (multiple times) of how much bandwidth IDLE
uses, which he says is based on 'the number of monitored folders'.

>> My question is:
>>
>> When IDLE support is enabled, will TB always keep an IDLE connection
>> open for the Inbox, regardless of what folder is currently selected?

> IDLE is active on an account basis.  So there is not an IDLE connection
> on specific folders.  Perhaps you are confusing this with cached
> connection?  (IIRC Inbox has a dedicated open cache connection, unless
> cached connections=1).

Maybe, I'm definitely not sure... when the guy above was talking about
'the number of monitored folders', did he mean 'cached connections'?

>> I did find the hidden mail.server.default.check_all_folders_for_new
>> pref, but personally I don't want it to work on all folders, only:
>>
>>         Inbox: always
>> Other folders: if individually enabled in the folder properties
>
> You shouldn't need mail.server.default.check_all_foldersfor_new (which
> can be a performance hog BTW). Nor should you need to set individual
> folders to check for new messages.

Ok, well... I did some more googling to try to find more of the links I
referenced above, and this time found bug 701325 (which I see you
commented in), which says that the answer to my first question about the
Inbox is 'yes'.

Another comment from Adrian says that the per folder option for
including it in new email checks is only for polling ('Check for new
messages ...' functions), not IDLE.

But he then pointed out bug 479133, to add support for IMAP NOTIFY
extension per rfc5466, which looks like it is what I really want -if it
is ever implemented, and if so, is implemented on a per folder basis.

And last, ironically, I have already voted for this bug, so apparently
stumbled on it for some other reason some time ago, voted for it, then
forgot about it.

Thanks for helping me answer my own question... ;)
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Loading...