Question: Is there a thunderbird for Android?

Question: Is there a thunderbird for Android?

ISHIKAWA,chiaki
I have been forced (well by social pressure) to use an Android
smartphone. I think the version of Android is 7.x

I saw a native google gmail app.
Also, there is a messaging app.

I have been using TB under windows and linux for quite some time, and so
I wanted to use TB.
But when I went to Google App store, I cannot find a direct hit when I
searched for thunderbird. Somebody seems to have posted an independently
ported binary.

Isn't there an official TB binary for Android?

With all the talks in testing harness for android I see in mailing list,
I thought there was TB for Android. Maybe making TB behave smoothly
under Android desktop may not be that easy, but a cranky raw linux
version would be fine with me, I think.

(BTW, there does seem to be FF for android.)

TIA

Re: Question: Is there a thunderbird for Android?

Chris Ramsden-2
On 10/03/18 05:17, ISHIKAWA,chiaki wrote:
> I have been forced (well by social pressure) to use an Android smartphone. I think the version of Android is 7.x
>
> I saw a native google gmail app.
> Also, there is a messaging app.
>
> I have been using TB under windows and linux for quite some time, and so I wanted to use TB.
> But when I went to Google App store, I cannot find a direct hit when I searched for thunderbird. Somebody seems to have posted an independently ported binary.

Do you have a link for this?

> Isn't there an official TB binary for Android?

No.

> With all the talks in testing harness for android I see in mailing list, I thought there was TB for Android. Maybe making TB behave smoothly under Android desktop may not be that easy, but a cranky raw linux version would be fine with me, I think.
>
> (BTW, there does seem to be FF for android.)

Yes but...

> TIA

How do you imagine Thunderbird would look and feel on a small touch-screen device? It would have to be massively and comprehensively redesigned to provide controls big enough to hit with the fingers. It would be so different so as to be unrecognizable, so you may as well just use whatever email app you can find that you like, because regardless of the name, it won't be Thunderbird as we know it.

I don't feel that Firefox on Android bears any meaningful relationship to the mainstream desktop Firefox.

I generally don't like the google UX. Whatever usability studies they're doing, they don't ask folk like me what we want. For email, I use TypeApp on Android. K-9 seems to be well liked, but I consider it clunky. Seems to take more clicks/touches/whatever to do anything.
--
Chris

Re: Question: Is there a thunderbird for Android?

Raoul Bhatia

________________________________
> I generally don't like the google UX. Whatever usability studies they're doing, they don't ask folk like me what we want. For email, I use TypeApp on Android. K-9 seems to be well liked, but I consider it clunky. Seems to take more clicks/touches/whatever to do anything.

Q: What does TypeApp make it's money with?

Raoul

On 2018年03月12日 00:22, Chris Ramsden wrote:

> On 10/03/18 05:17, ISHIKAWA,chiaki wrote:
>> I have been forced (well by social pressure) to use an Android smartphone. I think the version of Android is 7.x
>>
>> I saw a native google gmail app.
>> Also, there is a messaging app.
>>
>> I have been using TB under windows and linux for quite some time, and so I wanted to use TB.
>> But when I went to Google App store, I cannot find a direct hit when I searched for thunderbird. Somebody seems to have posted an independently ported binary.
>
> Do you have a link for this?

The mentioned port shows up when I search for "thunderbird" (without quotes)
Google Play store. I am not sure if a general URL that can be accessed by a
generic browser exists.

I investigated a bit.
The entry is under the title of
"AndroPorts: Thunderbird" by Akikazu Yoshikawa.

After clicking a few links in the entry, I found
it requires the pre-installatin of "AndroPorts" which seems to be a wrapper
environment to
install apps developed for generic linux.

Also, source code is available at:
https://github/com/androidports

Bugs: GitHub Issues.
https://github.com/androidports/release-comm-central/issues

>> Isn't there an official TB binary for Android?
>>
> No.

I see.

>> With all the talks in testing harness for android I see in mailing list, I thought there was TB for Android. Maybe making TB behave smoothly under Android desktop may not be that easy, but a cranky raw linux version would be fine with me, I think.
>>
>> (BTW, there does seem to be FF for android.)
>>
> Yes but...
>
>> TIA
>>
> How do you imagine Thunderbird would look and feel on a small touch-screen device? It would have to be massively and comprehensively redesigned to provide controls big enough to hit with the fingers. It would be so different so as to be unrecognizable, so you may as well just use whatever email app you can find that you like, because regardless of the name, it won't be Thunderbird as we know it.

Well, I like the cross platform availability of Thunderbird, and yes, I
admit that the usability certain suffers on a small screen. That is why I
said "cranky raw linux version would be fine with *ME*".
But think about it:
 - even on a small screen, I have been using some web mail interfaces of
local ISP.
   They work surprisingly well except that the original webmail interfaces
suck even on
   a big PC screen :-(

So using TB certainly suffers due to HMI physical constraint, but I think I
will prevail (famous last word: I may give up using TB in one day. Who knows?)

The main reason I want TB on Android:
- I can use my knowledge of TB HMI and operation steps.

- I don't want to learn a new mail client just because I look at personal
e-mails occasionally on a phone.
  I do bulk of mail transaction on my office/home PC with big screen and
full featured REAL PHYSICAL keyboard.
  Yeah, right. That is why I may want to endure the pain, so to speak.

- My usage pattern is: on not so often situations and yet with utmost
necessity, I need to fetch some e-mails on which I need to check to local
copy of TB on the smartphone. (keeping the original on the server so that I
can do whatever I want to later on my PCs.). Yes, someone is going to
mention IMAP, but with all the bugs I read about IMAP support of TB in
bugzilla, I don't want to use IMAP with TB for now. Even simple POP3 support
has some nasty bugs that show up under heavy load and certain conditions :-(
I wish I had not known about the bugs, but I do.

Admittedly, my usage pattern may not fit majority of user base.
However, given the nature of e-mail client, you have to offer the basic
functionality of a full-featured e-mail client.
AND I DON'T MIND the hard-to-use nature of TB on ANDROID at all (<- This may
be rare).
so that I can use the SAME mail client across different hardware platforms
(I think a PAD device would not be far behind.)

> I don't feel that Firefox on Android bears any meaningful relationship to the mainstream desktop Firefox.
>
> I generally don't like the google UX. Whatever usability studies they're doing, they don't ask folk like me what we want. For email, I use TypeApp on Android. K-9 seems to be well liked, but I consider it clunky. Seems to take more clicks/touches/whatever to do anything.

Google UX and more to the point, the tendency of app developers to omit
essential documentation really sucks on Android. The app developers seem to
think that their software operation is self-explanatory, but that is hardly
the case for any complex app I tried (not that many, though).
They should really do the UI study of their software to improve on it, but
it seems many are done by small software developers and unlike Apple, Google
doesn't seem mind to have  broken-from-the-viewpoint-of-UI apps flooding the
market. (OK, I am including the missing essential documentation as part of
UI features.)

If I switch to a different mail client just then I would switch all the
clients on my PCs.
Having to cope with a few clients is already a hassle.
Sometimes I have to use GMAIL or OFFIC365 e-mail interface directly and it
is disruptive.

Well, thank you for the info: the official TB does not exist on Android.

I may want to contact the person who posted the ported binary of TB to
Google Play store and see
if I can replicate the development environment create a binary on my own. I
feel more comfortable that way.

OTOH, come to think of it, I am not even sure if enlarging/shrinking the
shown portion of the displayed data of the app is done by the app itself or
the OS-side display subsystem.
If some heavy-lifting source modification is necessary to support even the
crudest of UI operation on Android, I have to give it up. (Given that FF
runs on Android, that should not be that hard. I think enlarging/shrinking
happens by the redraw request event with the requested redrawn area, etc.).
TB is not superfast graphics application, etc. Its main task is network I/O
and local storage I/O.
So porting should NOT be THAT DIFFICULT. Oh well.

Re: Question: Is there a thunderbird for Android?

Dave Yeo-3
ishikawa wrote:
> Well, I like the cross platform availability of Thunderbird, and yes, I
> admit that the usability certain suffers on a small screen. That is why I
> said "cranky raw linux version would be fine with *ME*".
> But think about it:
>  - even on a small screen, I have been using some web mail interfaces of
> local ISP.
>    They work surprisingly well except that the original webmail interfaces
> suck even on
>    a big PC screen :-(

You could install something like GNURoot Debian, install the Xserver and
do apt install thunderbird. Be hard to use and a bit of a learning curve
using your fingers to emulate the mouse.
Dave

On 2018/03/14 15:20, Dave Yeo wrote:

> ishikawa wrote:
>> Well, I like the cross platform availability of Thunderbird, and yes, I
>> admit that the usability certain suffers on a small screen. That is why I
>> said "cranky raw linux version would be fine with *ME*".
>> But think about it:
>>  - even on a small screen, I have been using some web mail interfaces of
>> local ISP.
>>    They work surprisingly well except that the original webmail
>> interfaces
>> suck even on
>>    a big PC screen :-(
>
> You could install something like GNURoot Debian, install the Xserver and
> do apt install thunderbird. Be hard to use and a bit of a learning curve
> using your fingers to emulate the mouse.
> Dave

I see.

Even writing something on Android phone is a big issue.
Mainly I want to READ someone has sent me.

I will investigate more.

TIA