Purpose of mozilla.test.multimedia

Gervase Markham
There has recently been some confusion about the purpose of this group.

The mozilla.test hierarchy is for messages used to test Mozilla Project
newsreading software or, as a service to the community, other
newsreading software or people's newsreading connections, without
disrupting the main groups.

mozilla.test is for general message testing. mozilla.test.multimedia is
a more specific version of mozilla.test, for testing Mozilla Project or
other newsreading software with binary attachments, which includes
things like HTML posts with embedded images. There may also be
discussion of whether a particular test worked and, if not, why not. As
such, it is obviously an exception to the "no binary posting" etiquette
rule.

mozilla.test.multimedia is moderated, at the request of our newsgroup
provider, in order that the ability to post binaries is not abused.
However, it is consistent with the role of the moderator to keep the
group on-topic, and to keep the Project out of any possible legal
trouble (e.g. by removing messages which otherwise fit the group
charter, but contain obviously illegal material).

This is in line with the brief group description here:
http://www.mozilla.org/community/developer-forums.html
"mozilla.test.multimedia For binary test messages."

This means that people posting will generally be people involved in
Mozilla or other project QA, who are testing these particular features
of Thunderbird, The Mozilla Suite etc. And that traffic should therefore
be pretty low.

Neither of these groups is for general discussion.

I apologise if anyone was under a misapprehension that this group was a
general multimedia discussion group, or for debugging general multimedia
problems, or for sharing interesting multimedia. This is not correct. If
members of the Mozilla community wish to do such things, the
mozilla.general group is available for general discussion. Although of
course, there as everywhere, the Mozilla forum etiquette document should
be seen as a minimum standard of behaviour.

I am not a member of this group; if you have questions about this
statement, please ask them in mozilla.general, which I will be a member
of for a little while from now. After that, I can be reached by email.

Gerv

Re: Purpose of mozilla.test.multimedia

Terry R.
On 12/6/2007 1:22 PM On a whim, Gervase Markham pounded out on the keyboard

> There has recently been some confusion about the purpose of this group.

<snip>

> This is in line with the brief group description here:
> http://www.mozilla.org/community/developer-forums.html
> "mozilla.test.multimedia For binary test messages."
>
> This means that people posting will generally be people involved in
> Mozilla or other project QA, who are testing these particular features
> of Thunderbird, The Mozilla Suite etc. And that traffic should therefore
> be pretty low.
>
> Neither of these groups is for general discussion.

<snip>
> Gerv

I'm sorry, but NO ONE I know of that posts in MTMM is "involved in
Mozilla or other project QA".  Never seem 'em.

So are you kicking all of us out?  I'm sure we'd all like to know, so we
know exactly which server to continue using, and WHICH community to support.

--
Terry R.

Re: Purpose of mozilla.test.multimedia

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
Gervase Markham wrote:

> There has recently been some confusion about the purpose of this group.
>
> The mozilla.test hierarchy is for messages used to test Mozilla Project
> newsreading software or, as a service to the community, other
> newsreading software or people's newsreading connections, without
> disrupting the main groups.
>
> mozilla.test is for general message testing. mozilla.test.multimedia is
> a more specific version of mozilla.test, for testing Mozilla Project or
> other newsreading software with binary attachments, which includes
> things like HTML posts with embedded images. There may also be
> discussion of whether a particular test worked and, if not, why not. As
> such, it is obviously an exception to the "no binary posting" etiquette
> rule.
>
> mozilla.test.multimedia is moderated, at the request of our newsgroup
> provider, in order that the ability to post binaries is not abused.
> However, it is consistent with the role of the moderator to keep the
> group on-topic, and to keep the Project out of any possible legal
> trouble (e.g. by removing messages which otherwise fit the group
> charter, but contain obviously illegal material).
>
> This is in line with the brief group description here:
> http://www.mozilla.org/community/developer-forums.html
> "mozilla.test.multimedia For binary test messages."
>
> This means that people posting will generally be people involved in
> Mozilla or other project QA, who are testing these particular features
> of Thunderbird, The Mozilla Suite etc. And that traffic should therefore
> be pretty low.
>
> Neither of these groups is for general discussion.
>
> I apologise if anyone was under a misapprehension that this group was a
> general multimedia discussion group, or for debugging general multimedia
> problems, or for sharing interesting multimedia. This is not correct. If
> members of the Mozilla community wish to do such things, the
> mozilla.general group is available for general discussion. Although of
> course, there as everywhere, the Mozilla forum etiquette document should
> be seen as a minimum standard of behaviour.
> http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html
>
> I am not a member of this group; if you have questions about this
> statement, please ask them in mozilla.general, which I will be a member
> of for a little while from now. After that, I can be reached by email.
>
> Gerv

am I the only one that notices this.  Gerv and Chris are
just like Donald Rumsfeld.  They are trying their hardest to
do some damage control, and every time they do, they keep
falling down flat on their faces.  These two have done so
much flip flopping around, they're acting like fish out of
water.

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Purpose of mozilla.test.multimedia

Gus Richter
Gervase Markham wrote:
> There has recently been some confusion about the purpose of this group.

I wonder if David Ascher is aware that you are about to destroy the
_only_ HTML testing group for MailCo's Thunderbird product?

Do you suppose that perhaps he should be advised and/or consulted as to
the goings-on here?

It would be nice to know if he is in accord with having only a
text/plain mail client.

Regarding the Multimedia Group; is it too much to ask that JoeS should
be given all instead of Chris Ilias?
If it matters, JoeS has posted Bugs in Bugzilla.

Regarding the Support Groups; is it too much to ask *by majority
request* the Chris Ilias have all powers removed?

Oh, and yes I have also posted Bugs in Bugzilla.

--
Gus

Re: Purpose of mozilla.test.multimedia

Billy Holmes
Sounds to me like the MTMM group should just be removed as it's not
really serving it's listed purpose - unless that purpose is to consume
bandwidth... but I thought that's what this list was for.

Re: Purpose of mozilla.test.multimedia

squaredancer
On 07.12.2007 00:14, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Billy Holmes
to generate the following:? :
> Sounds to me like the MTMM group should just be removed as it's not
> really serving it's listed purpose - unless that purpose is to consume
> bandwidth... but I thought that's what this list was for.

same could be said about you and your contributions to these groups!
You - like chris and gerv - know f-all about the MTMM group, you in
fact, are howling with the pack - I suppose you need assurances that you
can pin on your bedroom wall??

as to

QUOTE:
but I thought that's what this list was for.
UNQUOTE

you *thought* ??  you *ACTUALLY THOUGHT* ??

that's a joke, of course Haha!

reg

Re: Purpose of mozilla.test.multimedia

Jay Garcia

Re: Purpose of mozilla.test.multimedia

Christopher Jahn
Gus Richter <[hidden email]> wrote in
news:[hidden email]:

> Gervase Markham wrote:
>> There has recently been some confusion about the purpose of
>> this group.
>
> I wonder if David Ascher is aware that you are about to
> destroy the _only_ HTML testing group for MailCo's Thunderbird
> product?
>
> Do you suppose that perhaps he should be advised and/or
> consulted as to the goings-on here?
>
> It would be nice to know if he is in accord with having only a
> text/plain mail client.
>
> Regarding the Multimedia Group; is it too much to ask that
> JoeS should be given all instead of Chris Ilias?
> If it matters, JoeS has posted Bugs in Bugzilla.
>
> Regarding the Support Groups; is it too much to ask *by
> majority request* the Chris Ilias have all powers removed?
>
> Oh, and yes I have also posted Bugs in Bugzilla.

As have I.  And I wholly agree with all you've posted on this
issue.

Gerv, no one is calling for the group to become unmoderated. We
just want a moderator who isn't a power mad control freak.  Ilias
shouldn't be in charge of soggy cereal.

--
}:-)       Christopher Jahn
{:-(       http://manormaniac.blogspot.com/

"I think I am! I think I am!" (The Little Engine that
Philosophized)

Re: Purpose of mozilla.test.multimedia

Justin Wood (Callek)-2
Gervase Markham wrote:
> There has recently been some confusion about the purpose of this group.
<snip>
> Gerv

fwiw Gerv/Chris,

I will not choose to argue/retort the points of those who have posted
here thus far, as I feel you both have done the best (logical) responses
already.

I just wanted to say, after reading *all* the linked posts, the thread
in question for the "confusion" etc. I am in support of Chris remaining
the "moderator" and in his decision(s) thus far.

Among all the "stop energy" I just felt some positive energy would be
useful.

Thanks for both of your hard-work so far,
--
~Justin Wood (Callek)

Re: Purpose of mozilla.test.multimedia

Terry R.
On 12/6/2007 5:04 PM On a whim, Justin Wood (Callek) pounded out on the
keyboard

> Gervase Markham wrote:
>> There has recently been some confusion about the purpose of this group.
> <snip>
>> Gerv
>
> fwiw Gerv/Chris,
>
> I will not choose to argue/retort the points of those who have posted
> here thus far, as I feel you both have done the best (logical) responses
> already.
>
> I just wanted to say, after reading *all* the linked posts, the thread
> in question for the "confusion" etc. I am in support of Chris remaining
> the "moderator" and in his decision(s) thus far.
>
> Among all the "stop energy" I just felt some positive energy would be
> useful.
>
> Thanks for both of your hard-work so far,

Great to hear from someone who has about 3 posts in the FF group and
about 3 from here. BIG vote.

AND it's more negative energy than positive.

--
Terry R.

Terry R. wrote:

> On 12/6/2007 5:04 PM On a whim, Justin Wood (Callek) pounded out on the
> keyboard
>
>> Gervase Markham wrote:
>>> There has recently been some confusion about the purpose of this group.
>> <snip>
>>> Gerv
>>
>> fwiw Gerv/Chris,
>>
>> I will not choose to argue/retort the points of those who have posted
>> here thus far, as I feel you both have done the best (logical)
>>
>> I just wanted to say, after reading *all* the linked posts, the thread
>> in question for the "confusion" etc. I am in support of Chris
>> remaining the "moderator" and in his decision(s) thus far.
>>
>> Among all the "stop energy" I just felt some positive energy would be
>> useful.
>>
>> Thanks for both of your hard-work so far,
>
> Great to hear from someone who has about 3 posts in the FF group and
> about 3 from here. BIG vote.
>
> AND it's more negative energy than positive.

AND... I don't actively work on Firefox, I don't actively post to
.general, I *do* work on SeaMonkey, and am active in Firefox support on
IRC, and many other IRC/Community issues....

If you want a record of my support in the community, do a google search
for "Callek", a bugzilla search for "Callek", or hell, also look at my
wikimo or MDC contributions....

Thanks, come again!
--
~Justin Wood (Callek)

Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> On 12/6/2007 5:04 PM On a whim, Justin Wood (Callek) pounded out on
>> the keyboard

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> fwiw Gerv/Chris,
>>>
>>> I will not choose to argue/retort the points of those who have posted
>>> here thus far, as I feel you both have done the best (logical)
>>>
>>> I just wanted to say, after reading *all* the linked posts, the
>>> thread in question for the "confusion" etc. I am in support of Chris
>>> remaining the "moderator" and in his decision(s) thus far.
>>>
>>> Among all the "stop energy" I just felt some positive energy would be
>>> useful.
>>>
>>> Thanks for both of your hard-work so far,
>>
>> Great to hear from someone who has about 3 posts in the FF group and
>> about 3 from here. BIG vote.
>>
>> AND it's more negative energy than positive.
>>

> AND... I don't actively work on Firefox, I don't actively post to
> .general, I *do* work on SeaMonkey, and am active in Firefox support on
> IRC, and many other IRC/Community issues....
>
> If you want a record of my support in the community, do a google search
> for "Callek", a bugzilla search for "Callek", or hell, also look at my
> wikimo or MDC contributions....
>
> Thanks, come again!

I believe that he wasn't questioning your CV, but that he was referring
to your contribution in the Mozilla Support Groups. He's trying to say
that you haven't had much time to appreciate the atmosphere and
goings-on and as a Johnny-come-lately the value of your comment
regarding the situation may be very questionable to say the least
especially when coming from across the face, so to speak.

--
Gus

Gus Richter wrote:

> Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>> On 12/6/2007 5:04 PM On a whim, Justin Wood (Callek) pounded out on
>>> the keyboard

>>> Great to hear from someone who has about 3 posts in the FF group and
>>> about 3 from here. BIG vote.
>>>
>>> AND it's more negative energy than positive.
>>>

>> AND... I don't actively work on Firefox, I don't actively post to
>> .general, I *do* work on SeaMonkey, and am active in Firefox support
>> on IRC, and many other IRC/Community issues....
>>
>> If you want a record of my support in the community, do a google
>> search for "Callek", a bugzilla search for "Callek", or hell, also
>> look at my wikimo or MDC contributions....
>>
>> Thanks, come again!
>
> I believe that he wasn't questioning your CV, but that he was referring
> to your contribution in the Mozilla Support Groups. He's trying to say
> that you haven't had much time to appreciate the atmosphere and
> goings-on and as a Johnny-come-lately the value of your comment
> regarding the situation may be very questionable to say the least
> especially when coming from across the face, so to speak.

And yet I have been reading (and in some cases, admittedly skimming)
them. But that statement does not retort his "I mean nothing"
accusation.  The examples of my contributions do.

And in this particular case, I have read the entire thread so-far
(probably to my own dismay) [both here, and the one in question on MTMM]

--
~Justin Wood (Callek)

Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:

> Gus Richter wrote:
>> Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:

>>> AND... I don't actively work on Firefox, I don't actively post to
>>> .general, I *do* work on SeaMonkey, and am active in Firefox support
>>> on IRC, and many other IRC/Community issues....
>>>
>>> If you want a record of my support in the community, do a google
>>> search for "Callek", a bugzilla search for "Callek", or hell, also
>>> look at my wikimo or MDC contributions....
>>>
>>> Thanks, come again!
>>
>> I believe that he wasn't questioning your CV, but that he was
>> referring to your contribution in the Mozilla Support Groups. He's
>> trying to say that you haven't had much time to appreciate the
>> atmosphere and goings-on and as a Johnny-come-lately the value of your
>> comment regarding the situation may be very questionable to say the
>> least especially when coming from across the _face_, so to speak.

.._errata..  especially when coming from across the *fence*, so to speak.

> And yet I have been reading (and in some cases, admittedly skimming)
> them. But that statement does not retort his "I mean nothing"
> accusation.  The examples of my contributions do.

I'm not negating your contributions at all and neither is he. I do,
however, question your motive for jumping into the fray with the pats on
Gerv's back in particular (relate this to the 'fence' part above).

> And in this particular case, I have read the entire thread so-far
> (probably to my own dismay) [both here, and the one in question on MTMM]

The experiencing of the "atmosphere" and "goings-on" were meant not only
for the length of the discussion, but on-going since Chris' anointment
by Gerv. That's how long the problem has been festering and you pretend
to have a full understanding in the face of a common revolt? Do the
voices of the Mozilla Community (depending on your definition, I guess)
from all the Support Groups mean nothing?

--
Gus

Re: Purpose of mozilla.test.multimedia

Leonidas Jones-2
Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:

> Gus Richter wrote:
>> Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:

>>> AND... I don't actively work on Firefox, I don't actively post to
>>> .general, I *do* work on SeaMonkey, and am active in Firefox support
>>> on IRC, and many other IRC/Community issues....
>>>
>>> If you want a record of my support in the community, do a google
>>> search for "Callek", a bugzilla search for "Callek", or hell, also
>>> look at my wikimo or MDC contributions....
>>>
>>> Thanks, come again!
>>
>> I believe that he wasn't questioning your CV, but that he was
>> referring to your contribution in the Mozilla Support Groups. He's
>> trying to say that you haven't had much time to appreciate the
>> atmosphere and goings-on and as a Johnny-come-lately the value of your
>> comment regarding the situation may be very questionable to say the
>> least especially when coming from across the face, so to speak.

> And yet I have been reading (and in some cases, admittedly skimming)
> them. But that statement does not retort his "I mean nothing"
> accusation.  The examples of my contributions do.
>
> And in this particular case, I have read the entire thread so-far
> (probably to my own dismay) [both here, and the one in question on MTMM]

Lets take the proverbial deep breath, tempers are very hot over this,
Newsgroups are dangerous, we all too often hit Send before we have had a
chance to reflect.

Lee

Lee

Re: Purpose of mozilla.test.multimedia

Christopher Jahn
"Justin Wood (Callek)" <[hidden email]> wrote in
news:[hidden email]:

> And in this particular case, I have read the entire thread
> so-far (probably to my own dismay) [both here, and the one in
> question on MTMM]

This isn't about "one thread."  It's about a continuing pattern
of abuse by Ilias that has finally galvanized most of us against
him.  He's committed his "stamp act," and he's cast himself as
Mad King George.

--
}:-)       Christopher Jahn
{:-(       http://manormaniac.blogspot.com/

Of all forms of caution, caution in love is the most fatal.

Re: Purpose of mozilla.test.multimedia

Christopher Jahn
Gus Richter <[hidden email]> wrote in
news:[hidden email]:

> Do the
> voices of the Mozilla Community (depending on your definition,
> I guess) from all the Support Groups mean nothing?

No, we're just the ones who clean up the mess of unresolved
bugfixes, instabilities, and work-arounds and deal directly with
users to keep them supporting the project.  If it weren't for us,
users would have gone back to IE and OE the first time they had a
problem and discovered that the help section is not terribly
helpful.

--
}:-)       Christopher Jahn
{:-(       http://manormaniac.blogspot.com/

Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors
-- and miss.
 -Robert Heinlein

Christopher Jahn wrote:

> "Justin Wood (Callek)" <[hidden email]> wrote in
> news:[hidden email]:
>
>> And in this particular case, I have read the entire thread
>> so-far (probably to my own dismay) [both here, and the one in
>> question on MTMM]
>
> This isn't about "one thread."  It's about a continuing pattern
> of abuse by Ilias that has finally galvanized most of us against
> him.  He's committed his "stamp act," and he's cast himself as
> Mad King George.

Fair enough, and I admit to not knowing all of the actions that cause
your (and a few others) to "revolt"

But if *this* is what broke your straw, then I'd be inclined to call
your argument a "straw man" itself. As in this particular case, he was
fully justified.

--
~Justin Wood (Callek)

Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:

> Christopher Jahn wrote:
>> "Justin Wood (Callek)" <[hidden email]> wrote in
>> news:[hidden email]:
>>> And in this particular case, I have read the entire thread
>>> so-far (probably to my own dismay) [both here, and the one in
>>> question on MTMM]
>>
>> This isn't about "one thread."  It's about a continuing pattern of
>> abuse by Ilias that has finally galvanized most of us against him.
>> He's committed his "stamp act," and he's cast himself as Mad King George.

> Fair enough, and I admit to not knowing all of the actions that cause
> your (and a few others) to "revolt"
>
> But if *this* is what broke your straw,
err...

"*this* is the straw that broke your camels back,"

--
~Justin Wood (Callek)

squaredancer wrote:
>> Sounds to me like the MTMM group should just be removed as it's not
>>
> same could be said about you and your contributions to these groups!

That is quite possible. I do like a good debate, however, this has
mostly turned into name calling.

> You - like chris and gerv - know f-all about the MTMM group, you in

I know nothing about the group, except what it listed on the mozilla web
site, and Grev's previous post.

He says: The group shall only be used for X.

You say: I want it to be used for Y!

Therefore: If it's not going to be used for X, then just remove it.

> you *thought* ??  you *ACTUALLY THOUGHT* ??
> that's a joke, of course Haha!

Kudos for you! You burn me bad!